2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Could a 12 handicapper....

21degreeloft

[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1427852588' post='11257721'][quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1427852492' post='11257701']
Can someone teach me how to hit a reliable fade?
[/quote]

Lol! Not me man. My shots go right to left. Even to right pins. Imagine that. ;)[/quote]

You need blades so you can hit that low, thin, hosel cut to those pins.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1427841406' post='11256289']
[quote name='govols' timestamp='1427840722' post='11256191']
[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1427839268' post='11256025'][quote name='govols' timestamp='1427838540' post='11255945']
Not mocking you but you are making my point. There's a point where what you play isn't gonna make a difference. I don't play blades (J40 DPC) because I don't pure every iron and I want my slightly off center misses to still produce a decent shot. There's no benefit to playing blades unless you hit pretty much every shot dead center of the face. On the flip side depending on skill level there may not be much adverse affect either.
[/quote]
So there's no detriment and no benefit in your view. By that logic a 12 index can play blades. Why not if it won't adversely affect his score?[/quote]

The only benefit would be if you strike every shot dead solid. If you don't there's no benefit. Is that hard to comprehend? I honestly think that's pretty clear cut.

On the flip-side you can be bad enough where it makes absolutely no difference. If you thin, chunk, barely make contact on the face and rarely hit the sweet spot then the club makes no difference.

I guess perhaps you can be a little off center and get it around with a fair score but there's no way I believe those misses are gonna result in a better shot than what a cavity back would give.
[/quote]

I am going to try and not derail it but to educate from my perspective and my own experiences.

For me the Blade misses are actually better than the GI misses.....

Again... for my game I am 2/10 Pure strikes... 9/10 Acceptable strikes.

Lets use an easy straight forward par3

150 Yards,

I hit a 7 Iron Blade lands on green we are good

I hit a 7 iron GI same....

I thin a 7 Iron Blade it lands short but straight still straight forward.

I thin a 7 iron GI, that thing is hot and could roll off.

I Toe a 7iron Blade, still short, but generally straight might be leaking but short and playable

I Toe a 7iron GI, and that thing can be a hot screamer left, those I have stated before are those hot fliers I get out of the GI's..... cant explain it but it happens that thing goes 160+ low and fast.

etc etc etc.... while they are still good strikes the are not quite pure... but the results get masked or Enhanced

the misses on a blade while minute COULD be a better miss than a masked GI that forgives mistakes but could put you in a worse predicament.
[/quote]

As someone that played blades for 15 years and GI shovels the last 3 (with players cavities littered in between), your descriptions of mishit shot results are incorrect.]

Thin a GI club and the low CG and large mass at the sole will get the ball in the air some. How much depends on how thin you blade it. The shot result will be far better than thinning a blade, and unless you are really close to the green, your ball won't go over the back.

Catch a GI club on the toe and you will still get good distance. The ball will travel much farther than a blade off the toe. Both will loose distance, but the GI club will lose less.

Okay, my part...

Catch a blade fat and the sharp leading edge will dig to China. A GI club, with it's fatter sole and more rounded leading edge, will skip through the turf in comparison.

A blade long iron is hard to catch flush. A GI long iron, depending on the model, is more hybridish. Most people think hybrids are easier to hit than long irons, unless you name is DeNinny that is.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1427853057' post='11257797']
[quote name='govols' timestamp='1427852562' post='11257713']
[quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1427852273' post='11257671'][quote name='govols' timestamp='1427851908' post='11257625']
Lol. Why are double digit handicapper average ball strikers concerned with workability? I just don't get it.
[/quote]

Because its a tool in the toolbox to become as efficient of a golfer as possible.......Why would you not take as much advantage of learning and becoming better at golf and become a well rounded player. Regardless what your handicap is.....

How do you get better? You learn more thing so you can get past a double digit......

when you were shooting 100, you learned to keep the ball in play.....

When you are shooting 90's you learned about your short game

when you are in the 80's you learn about ball manipulation

when you are in the 70's you learn mental control

when you are pro.... you have all of the above......

Pro's dont have just one of the above.... so why should a 12 handicapper stop learning if they know how to only hit the ball straight...... thats pretty stupid......[/quote]

I think most pros play their natural shot, especially with irons, [b]unless they're hand is forced to do otherwise[/b]. If anything they may tend to shape the ball more off the tee.

[/quote]

Yes so if they are forced to do so they have the available means to do so as they have practiced and put that tool in the toolbox. How hard is that to understand. You are telling me....that after you learned to hit the ball straight...... and this goes for all the scratch and + handicaps. NONE of you learned to work that ball after the fact? You just stuck with your stock shot? ONLY Stock shot.....

I think not...NO scratch / + HDCP knows how to flight the ball up or down????? These are relevant tools to the game while not widely used, the practice it so when its time to use it, they are able to perform....even at the highest level.
[/quote]Can you only do those things with blades?

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

[quote name='govols' timestamp='1427853071' post='11257805']
[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1427852588' post='11257721'][quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1427852492' post='11257701']
[/quote]

Lol! Not me man. My shots go right to left. Even to right pins. Imagine that. ;)[/quote]

You need blades so you can hit that low, thin, hosel cut to those pins.
[/quote]

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1427853138' post='11257811']
[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1427839268' post='11256025'][quote name='govols' timestamp='1427838540' post='11255945']
Not mocking you but you are making my point. There's a point where what you play isn't gonna make a difference. I don't play blades (J40 DPC) because I don't pure every iron and I want my slightly off center misses to still produce a decent shot. There's no benefit to playing blades unless you hit pretty much every shot dead center of the face. On the flip side depending on skill level there may not be much adverse affect either.
[/quote]
So there's no detriment and no benefit in your view. By that logic a 12 index can play blades. Why not if it won't adversely affect his score?[/quote]

The only benefit would be if you strike every shot dead solid. If you don't there's no benefit. Is that hard to comprehend? I honestly think that's pretty clear cut.

On the flip-side you can be bad enough where it makes absolutely no difference. If you thin, chunk, barely make contact on the face and rarely hit the sweet spot then the club makes no difference.

I guess perhaps you can be a little off center and get it around with a fair score but there's no way I believe those misses are gonna result in a better shot than what a cavity back would give.
[/quote]

I am going to try and not derail it but to educate from my perspective and my own experiences.

150 Yards,

I Toe a 7iron Blade, still short, but generally straight might be leaking but short and playable

I Toe a 7iron GI, and that thing can be a hot screamer left, those I have stated before are those hot fliers I get out of the GI's..... cant explain it but it happens that thing goes 160+ low and fast.

etc etc etc.... while they are still good strikes the are not quite pure... but the results get masked or Enhanced

the misses on a blade while minute COULD be a better miss than a masked GI that forgives mistakes but could put you in a worse predicament.
[/quote]

As someone that played blades for 15 years and GI shovels the last 3 (with players cavities littered in between), your descriptions of mishit shot results are incorrect.]

Thin a GI club and the low CG and large mass at the sole will get the ball in the air some. How much depends on how thin you blade it. The shot result will be far better than thinning a blade, and unless you are really close to the green, your ball won't go over the back. [color=#ff0000]We a[/color][color=#ff0000]gree sorta.... Yes I a Bladed MB will be short, a bladed GI, will get the ball higher then the MB, but much lower than the normal shot and general for me it is almost like a hot skull so it will roll like hell and yes.. it could roll off the green. Rather then a short flier.[/color]

Catch a GI club on the toe and you will still get good distance. The ball will travel much farther than a blade off the toe. Both will loose distance, but the GI club will lose less. [color=#ff0000]My statement is not a gross miss yes a ugly ugly toe shot will lose distance but I am talking just off the center more towards the toe.... those are those hot fliers that I get that I have been typing about for 6 months and 8 Blades topics.......[/color]

Okay, my part...

Catch a blade fat and the sharp leading edge will dig to China. A GI club, with it's fatter sole and more rounded leading edge, will skip through the turf in comparison, [color=#ff0000]In many threads I have talked about using different irons for different irons for different course conditions hence the 2 totally different iron sets[/color]

A blade long iron is hard to catch flush. A GI long iron, depending on the model, is more hybridish. Most people think hybrids are easier to hit than long irons, unless you name is DeNinny that is. [color=#ff0000]Personally I dont have an issue with either... I hit them pretty much the same.... Personally I hit Irons better than Hybrids.... the sheer sizes throws me off so I would rather hit 3 iron than a 4/5hybrid..... but that is just preference. [/color]
[/quote]

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

[quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1427853057' post='11257797'][quote name='govols' timestamp='1427852562' post='11257713']
[quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1427852273' post='11257671'][quote name='govols' timestamp='1427851908' post='11257625']
Lol. Why are double digit handicapper average ball strikers concerned with workability? I just don't get it.
[/quote]

Because its a tool in the toolbox to become as efficient of a golfer as possible.......Why would you not take as much advantage of learning and becoming better at golf and become a well rounded player. Regardless what your handicap is.....

How do you get better? You learn more thing so you can get past a double digit......

Pro's dont have just one of the above.... so why should a 12 handicapper stop learning if they know how to only hit the ball straight...... thats pretty stupid......[/quote]

I think most pros play their natural shot, especially with irons, [b]unless they're hand is forced to do otherwise[/b]. If anything they may tend to shape the ball more off the tee.

[/quote]

Yes so if they are forced to do so they have the available means to do so as they have practiced and put that tool in the toolbox. How hard is that to understand. You are telling me....that after you learned to hit the ball straight...... and this goes for all the scratch and + handicaps. NONE of you learned to work that ball after the fact? You just stuck with your stock shot? ONLY Stock shot.....

I think not...NO scratch / + HDCP knows how to flight the ball up or down????? These are relevant tools to the game while not widely used, the practice it so when its time to use it, they are able to perform....even at the highest level.[/quote]

Why do you want to work harder than you have to? Golf is a game of misses with hopefully a few good shots mixed in. If I draw the ball why would I force a fade to a right pin? I'll aim at the pin if it goes straight good if not I'm a little left. If I set up left and try a shot I rarely pull off I'm probably a lot left or God knows where.

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1427853138' post='11257811']
[/quote]

[/quote]

150 Yards,

[/quote]

Thin a GI club and the low CG and large mass at the sole will get the ball in the air some. How much depends on how thin you blade it. The shot result will be far better than thinning a blade, and unless you are really close to the green, your ball won't go over the back.

Catch a GI club on the toe and you will still get good distance. The ball will travel much farther than a blade off the toe. Both will loose distance, but the GI club will lose less.

Okay, my part...

Catch a blade fat and the sharp leading edge will dig to China. A GI club, with it's fatter sole and more rounded leading edge, will skip through the turf in comparison.

A blade long iron is hard to catch flush. A GI long iron, depending on the model, is more hybridish. Most people think hybrids are easier to hit than long irons, unless you name is DeNinny that is.
[/quote]
If you are going to mock me you may want to get your facts straight.

A true hybrid and 7w are much easier to hit than any iron. In numerous threads I have stated this and recommend hybrids (not hybrid irons) and woods as scientifically viable forgiving clubs because the whole design is different. The entire face of these clubs is practically the sweetspot.

Hybrid iron or SGI CB is a different story. The wide sole is detrimental to a sweeper swing. BTW several posters besides me have said the same thing about wide soled SGI irons so at least call all of them out when you mock.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

[quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1427853389' post='11257849']
[quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1427853057' post='11257797']
[quote name='govols' timestamp='1427852562' post='11257713']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I think not...NO scratch / + HDCP knows how to flight the ball up or down????? These are relevant tools to the game while not widely used, the practice it so when its time to use it, they are able to perform....even at the highest level.
[/quote]Can you only do those things with blades?
[/quote]

It helps, if you are learning to work the ball? If you are learning to move it around isnt easier with a 5iron blade/players CB than a 5iron TM Burner 1.0 or 5Adams Hybrid?

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

[quote name='Titleist 670' timestamp='1427853679' post='11257889']
I still don't understand why anyone would care what type of irons somebody else plays. I could not tell you a single set of irons of anyone I've been randomly paired up with over the last decade.
[/quote]

See this is another thing that is missed.....

Some of us GIVE our EXPERIENCE of our time with the irons. While others want to Challenge our experience and tell us what we actually did on the course was WRONG. I dont know how that works.

Some of us feel the need to share what we know to the OP to allow them to make the best personal judgement. We dont tell them what not to play or what to play. We just give them information.

It just seems that others want to tell us how we are wrong and not tell the OP why its wrong..... we are just wrong....... *shrugs shoulders* I dont get it either.... pretty stupid if you ask me.

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

[quote name='govols' timestamp='1427853984' post='11257925']
I can hook a Big Bertha iron as much as any blade and when it comes to left to right it'd probably be the same too.
[/quote]

OK MR. DATA Man.....

Tell me why the manufacture says this then???

http://www.mizunousa.com/golf/products/jpx-ez-iron#.VRtS-vnF-So

SGI Iron, Massive sweet area for max forgivenss, low and deep cog for easy launch, increased accuracy...... NOTHING ABOUT WORKABILITY

now same manufacture

http://www.mizunousa.com/golf/products/mp-4-iron#.VRtTXPnF-So
[color=#484848]
The MP-4 is the purest of forged muscle backs for shot-makers seeking the ultimate control over their ball flight. [/color]

The manufacture states that X club has more control over ball flight......than the other.......MR. Data Man!

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1427854056' post='11257927']
Imagine how good you could work your blades after learning to work the unworkable Burner 1.0s.
[/quote]

Why make it harder when working the ball is your game?

If I were going to hit a dead straight shot all day long then for sure I would use the burners. But since I want the option of working the ball and for it to be as easy as possible, I use my blades. Why not when their mishits do nothing to affect my score?

Registered Bladeocrat

It was just tongue in cheek. The truth is, I think you probably aren't that good at working the ball, and maybe shouldn't. If you were, you wouldn't shoot the scores you do. If you don't care, again, it's all fine.

I'm all good with you anyway, no quarrels. We all have our opinions and they all stink, know what I mean?

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1427854404' post='11257965'][quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1427854056' post='11257927']
Imagine how good you could work your blades after learning to work the unworkable Burner 1.0s.
[/quote]

If I were going to hit a dead straight shot all day long then for sure I would use the burners. But since I want the option of working the ball and for it to be as easy as possible, I use my blades. Why not when their mishits do nothing to affect my score?[/quote]

How do you work blade mis-hits?

Can someone also tell me what I am posing as when I play blades? A better player than I am? I don't get it. The second we start the round someone is going to figure out I'm not a touring pro - it's not rocket science.

I don't think people who spend $200 on a pair of running shoes are posing as Olympic runners.

[quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1427854273' post='11257951'][quote name='govols' timestamp='1427853984' post='11257925']
I can hook a Big Bertha iron as much as any blade and when it comes to left to right it'd probably be the same too.
[/quote]

OK MR. DATA Man.....

Tell me why the manufacture says this then???

http://www.mizunousa.com/golf/products/jpx-ez-iron#.VRtS-vnF-So

SGI Iron, Massive sweet area for max forgivenss, low and deep cog for easy launch, increased accuracy...... NOTHING ABOUT WORKABILITY

now same manufacture

http://www.mizunousa.com/golf/products/mp-4-iron#.VRtTXPnF-So
[color=#484848]
The MP-4 is the purest of forged muscle backs for shot-makers seeking the ultimate control over their ball flight. [/color]

The manufacture states that X club has more control over ball flight......than the other.......MR. Data Man![/quote]

Mizuno left out those thin misses being forgiving.

If you hit a cavity solid it's plenty workable especially right to left.

[quote name='Titleist 670' timestamp='1427854672' post='11258001']
Can someone also tell me what I am posing as when I play blades? A better player than I am? I don't get it. The second we start the round someone is going to figure out I'm not a touring pro - it's not rocket science.

I don't think people who spend $200 on a pair of running shoes are posing as Olympic runners.
[/quote]

We aren't talking about posing. We just think a different option would help your scores.

[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1427854610' post='11257991']
It was just tongue in cheek. The truth is, I think you probably aren't that good at working the ball, and maybe shouldn't. If you were, you wouldn't shoot the scores you do. If you don't care, again, it's all fine.

I'm all good with you anyway, no quarrels. We all have our opinions and they all stink, know what I mean?
[/quote]

Yeah even the low digits I've played with weren't good at working the ball in the grand scheme of things. It's a difficult skill to master.

I'm still patiently waiting for one of our preeminent SGI advocates to explain why, if 90%+ (maybe even 95%+?) of all amateur golfers play game-improvement golf clubs surrounded by high-tech game improvement teaching technology, their average golf scores are no lower than those of the amateur players of 1960 playing only blades without any technological assistance.

Where is the statistical proof they help you score better? Guys? Hello? Is this mike on? :rolleyes:

[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1427854762' post='11258015']
[quote name='Titleist 670' timestamp='1427854672' post='11258001']

[/quote]

We aren't talking about posing. We just think a different option would help your scores.
[/quote]

I'm sure there's a better iron out there somewhere. But I like mine and play 10 to 20 times a year. Not worth testing 50 sets so I can average a stroke or two better over a summer when I don't care.

If I hit mine really poorly I certainly wouldn't play them - and I definitely don't have any objections to other types of irons. I think I've owned two sets of irons over the last 16 or 17 years. Tommy Armour 845's and Titleist 670's.

That said, there have been some rounds where guys go "you must be an excellent iron player if you're playing musclebacks!" Yeah pal, I'm playing a 6,100 yard course with a slope of 125 - that alone should tell you I'm not shooting in the 60's anytime soon.

[quote name='Marand' timestamp='1427855007' post='11258055']
I'm still patiently waiting for one of our preeminent SGI advocates to explain why, if 90%+ (maybe even 95%+?) of all amateur golfers play game-improvement golf clubs surrounded by high-tech game improvement teaching technology, their average golf scores are no lower than those of the amateur players of 1960 playing only blades without any technological assistance.

Where is the statistical proof they help you score better? Guys? Hello? Is this mike on? :rolleyes:
[/quote]I think I explained this earlier. The type of golfer that played in the 60's is much different than todays golfer. Most golfers in the 60's were members at a club, played more regularly, took lessons, clubs create a more competitive atmosphere, people took more steps to improve and had more time to do so. That isn't the scenario today.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

It's different for you 670. It doesn't matter. Really. I only get worked up because I know internally how much one more stroke a round means to me in some of the stuff I play.

I might project that onto others games when they really don't care about that stroke. They'd rather have fun hitting the wrong shots and hitting them poorly and shooting 85. I don't really care, we all are trying to get something different out of the game. A guy like me is trying desperately to get in the Masters through the Mid-Am, because I have acquaintances and peers that have, and I think I can do it.

A guy that wants to just have a good time and squirrel sizzler cuts and drop kick hooks, knock yourself out. Whatever blows your hair back, man.

[quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1427855133' post='11258073']
[quote name='Marand' timestamp='1427855007' post='11258055']

[/quote]I think I explained this earlier. The type of golfer that played in the 60's is much different than todays golfer. [size=5][i][b]Most golfers in the 60's were members at a club, played more regularly, took lessons. That isn't the scenario today.[/b][/i][/size]
[/quote]

You do have a source for those assertions. Yes?

[quote name='govols' timestamp='1427854624' post='11257993']
[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1427854404' post='11257965'][quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1427854056' post='11257927']
[/quote]

If I were going to hit a dead straight shot all day long then for sure I would use the burners. But since I want the option of working the ball and for it to be as easy as possible, I use my blades. Why not when their mishits do nothing to affect my score?[/quote]

[/quote]
That's what is great about blades. Some of the mishits when you are working the ball aren't so bad and end up better than a CB worked shot. It depends on the way I missed it. For example when I am trying a fade and I hit my pull slice mishit, the result is pretty good. If I hit the same pull slice when trying to hit it straight the result is bad. With a CB and I hit or mishit a worked ball, sometimes the ball goes dead straight no matter what. Bottom line is more inconsistent results with CBs when working the ball. A blade is easier and "forgives" some worked mishits.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='BMC' timestamp='1427855367' post='11258103'][quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1427852492' post='11257701']
[/quote]

Get some blades and hit it out on the toe.[/quote]

Lol yea that'll work for a dyslexic golfer.

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1427855412' post='11258113'][quote name='govols' timestamp='1427854624' post='11257993']
[/quote]

[/quote]
That's what is great about blades. Some of the mishits when you are working the ball aren't so bad and end up better than a CB worked shot. It depends on the way I missed it. For example when I am trying a fade and I hit my pull slice mishit, the result is pretty good. If I hit the same pull slice when trying to hit it straight the result is bad. With a CB and I hit or mishit a worked ball, sometimes the ball goes dead straight no matter what. Bottom line is more inconsistent results with CBs when working the ball. A blade is easier and "forgives" some worked mishits.[/quote]

It's hopeless