2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Leadbetters A Swing

Hammerboy

[quote name='Hammerboy' timestamp='1432242763' post='11603794']
Glad to see that some have an open mind and given the A Swing a try.

I have been vacationing here in Orlando the last few days, and played a few holes here and there using the technique.

It is the real thing and incredibly easy and repeatable.

[b]Looks like Leadbetter has a winner here.[/b]

To all you whiners and naysayers, the postive reports once again show that you are but mere noise. Thank you for being so predictable. Funny thing is some of you who think you have something worthwhile to say have not even seen the book.

Best of luck to all who give this a try. Not much more to say about it, but will enjoy reading future testimonials postive and negative.
[/quote]

Is he sending royalty checks to Calvin Peete's widow ?

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[i]You didn't feel like the backswing plane shift to to downswing plane shift was really extreme, and in the book they really want the shaft matching the spine so it's a big plane shift.

I think the few times I tried it, I may have rushed the transition as I was hitting it way way worse. I did start to hit it pretty good at the end of the bucket when I consciously thought about shorter arm swing as the book says, it was just a really radical plane shift feeling for me , the looping it back under, let gravity bring it back under etc...[/i]

I haven't put that much thought into it yet. I'd like to go to the range and take some videos of this new swing so I can see if the shaft angle is matching the spine, I don't know as of yet, that's hard to tell without someone standing behind you to give you feedback.

I noticed I'd hit poor shots if I started the downswing with my hands like I used to do with my traditional swing. If I started the A downswing with my lower body all worked well and fell into place.

I also noticed if I didn't start the takeaway with my core like he recommends the results where just not good.

If I started my traditional downswing it felt more like a magic timely issue, if I was too fast or too slow it would really throw off the timing and shots would spray all over. On those "perfect days" where everything felt right and my timing was ON I'd hit pure shots. Again, the whole reason I'd get confused is the timing would get off slightly and I could never put my finger on what had changed or what needed to be adjusted to get it back.

The A Swing doesn't have near the moving parts, so for me I can put the limited pieces of the puzzle together, if one gets out of place here or there I can quickly get it back. A traditional swing has more puzzle pieces in my opinion.

Even with working the ball, the A Swing book tells you how to set up for a draw and a fade. 2 setups, nothing wild like all the minute things you can change/adjust/tinker with on a traditional swing to work the ball.

I'm sure with enough tinkering you can learn to hit great shots standing on your head, but I much prefer a relaxed, repeatable setup and swing that I can take to the course time after time.

What's In The Bag 

Driver:  Cobra LTDx 9*  ||  FWs:  Cleveland 3 Hy-wood 18*

Hybrid:  Titleist TS2 23*  ||  Irons:  Srixon Z565 6-PW

Wedges*:  Cleveland 588 RTX CB 50*/10* & 58*/12* Black Pearl  ||  PutterΨPing Anser 

Ball: Pro V1x, Srixon Q-star tour, & Kirkland    ||  Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite white/royal

I have been vacationing here in Orlando the last few days, and played a few holes here and there using the technique.

Looks like Leadbetter has a winner here.

To all you whiners and naysayers, the postive reports once again show that you are but mere noise. Thank you for being so predictable. Funny thing is some of you who think you have something worthwhile to say have not even seen the book.

Best of luck to all who give this a try. Not much more to say about it, but will enjoy reading future testimonials postive and negative.
[/quote]

You had not either when you started this thread. So what is your point? You are mad at people making an uninformed opinion that did not comport with your uninformed opinion? Great stuff.

I might have missed it, but no one seemed to comment on Leadbetter's Practice Plan:

"Actually, I've saved the best part of the A Swing for last. You can learn it with an
easy-to-follow, seven-minute practice plan, a few times a week and you'll have no
problem develop and maintaining the mechanics and feeling for the A Swing."

There are about 6 steps and then a small section on fitness

6 Swing Exercises (10 reps each)

1. Developing a Good Setup
2. Grooving the Pivot
3. Slotting the Top of Your Backswing
4. Feeling the Backswing, Slotting the Downswing
5. Training the Proper Left-Side Release
6. Developing Feel

Anyone trying this?

I bought the book, it's filled with sound advice that's not unconventional at all IMO. That is except for the arm swing. There's a great tidbit on hip movement in there that helped me out.
As for my results I went out and hit it better but on video really only changed my takeaway. I like to raise my right elbow into a more conventional top of backswing without crossing the line. The takeaway really helped me out a lot for me it makes it easy to set the club properly without over swinging.
All in all its a very solid book even if one doesn't go extreme on the backswing. He mentions in there that there's room for personal flair.
I give the A swing an A. Great book with simple specific advice.

See ball hit ball
KISS

[/quote]

Again just to be clear, you are not opened minded in the least. You opened this thread having not read the book yourself yet still attempting to quell an yopposition. Also, you will not enjoy reading negative testimonials in the future, you know that, you will argue with such testimonials while giving the positive ones credit for having an open mind. I don't think "open-minded" means what you think it means...

[quote name='bph7' timestamp='1432349124' post='11611750']

[/quote]

Again just to be clear, you are not opened minded in the least. You opened this thread having not read the book yourself yet still attempting to quell an yopposition. Also, you will not enjoy reading negative testimonials in the future, you know that, you will argue with such testimonials while giving the positive ones credit for having an open mind. I don't think "open-minded" means what you think it means...
[/quote]

Pot, meet kettle.

2016 Taylormade M2 9.5* w/Fujikura Pro 60 stiff
Titleist 917 F3 Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 80 stiff
Callaway RazrX Tour stock shaft stiff/Mizuno MP-30 2 iron with Rifle 6.0 shaft
Bridgestone J 40DPC w/Aerotech Steelfibers 95 r
50* Bridgestone J 15 wedges with Nippon Pro Modus3 125, 54*,58* Titleist Vokey wedges
Odessey White Hot #5

[quote name='mattwood' timestamp='1432349805' post='11611836']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Pot, meet kettle.
[/quote]

I'm not open-minded to this at all, I have no issue admitting it. It's very likely yet another "get better quick" thing that will have completely died out in a year and LEDs will come out with the B swing in five years to similar anticipation and lack of results. I don't have much to back this up, and if it turns out that this becomes the first get great quick book/program that actually works, I'll admit I was wrong. Time will tell, but I'm not too worried. But no, I have no illusions of being open-minded about this so I'm not like OP at all. I have heard people who I respect chime in with the shortcomings of this so called method, which means more to me than most of the other stuff, but I can admit that I am not giving this a totally fair shake, but that doesn't mean that I will ultimately be wrong. If in a year this thread has 1000 posts and all kinds of people are thriving by using the magical A swing, you can quote this post and I'll gladly admit I was wrong.

WHAT IS THE a SWING GRIP THEY TALK ABOUT

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

[quote name='bph7' timestamp='1432350187' post='11611874']
[quote name='mattwood' timestamp='1432349805' post='11611836']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Pot, meet kettle.
[/quote]

I'm not open-minded to this at all, I have no issue admitting it. It's very likely yet another "get better quick" thing that will have completely died out in a year and LEDs will come out with the B swing in five years to similar anticipation and lack of results. I don't have much to back this up, and if it turns out that this becomes the first get great quick book/program that actually works, I'll admit I was wrong. Time will tell, but I'm not too worried. But no, I have no illusions of being open-minded about this so I'm not like OP at all. I have heard people who I respect chime in with the shortcomings of this so called method, which means more to me than most of the other stuff, but I can admit that I am not giving this a totally fair shake, but that doesn't mean that I will ultimately be wrong. If in a year this thread has 1000 posts and all kinds of people are thriving by using the magical A swing, you can quote this post and I'll gladly admit I was wrong.
[/quote]

I respect your honesty about yourself on this issue.

50* Bridgestone J 15 wedges with Nippon Pro Modus3 125, 54*,58* Titleist Vokey wedges
Odessey White Hot #5

[quote name='Hammerboy' timestamp='1430238766' post='11458711'][quote name='Jacob Mac' timestamp='1430238373' post='11458655']
Have you seen this thread?

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1127351-leadbetters-new-book-the-a-swing/page__hl__%20leadbetter"]http://www.golfwrx.c...hl__ leadbetter[/url]

It was a 100 times more entertaining before it was cleaned up. But it still has some good discussion, albeit incomplete because the book was not out.
[/quote]

Until one has read the book, or at least taken a few minutes to watch the video and give the swing a try, you are in a defenseless postion. This would be true for any instructor or techniuque.

It is easy to be a nayayer. No problem, if you have data or experience to back it up. Sadly, a lot of naysaying on the internet is just for the sake of it and attention seeking behavior.[/quote]

I have not read the Twilight books but I am confident in saying that they are the literary equivalent of small pox.

Sometimes you can just look at the intended audience and how they react to something to gauge whether it is worthy of a read. If you don't believe that is true, I would like to offer you a chance at financial freedom by joining my Amway team.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

Just read this whole thread after finding the A swing theory on Youtube.

So many bitter people on this site it is incredible, I like the theory behind it and will be trying it later on tonight when I head out for a few holes. I also note that the OP never once mentioned a "magical move" so why all the negativity towards them. I'm all for a healthy debate but some of the bitterness is pretty below the belt.

I can see merits and negatives but I'm all for trying it as I can get trapped and very steep with my downswing.

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-P Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

[quote name='tyorke1' timestamp='1432356915' post='11612254']
WHAT IS THE a SWING GRIP THEY TALK ABOUT
[/quote]

He calls it the prayer grip with both palms opposite each other.

The left grip is conventional so that a line along the edge of the index finger would point at the right eye.

The right hand grip is weak, so that a line along the index finger would point at the left eye.

A 'swing theory' that has only a few key points to remember sounds ideal for a golfer like me who only gets to play a few times each month. I don't really care if it is new or repackaged stuff - if Leadbetter has repackaged it such that it is simpler to understand and execute than other teachers have managed to do then good for him. I'm definitely going to give this a try

Someone correct me if I am wrong......but the grip he is teaching sounds very much like what Geoff Jones advocates.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Background: play to a 7.4 index, up from a 2.6 because I got old. Bought the E-book. Good sound instruction with many details and explanation you won't find in Golf Digest or Youtube. Hit about 500 balls over two days at the range with SW, 8 iron, and 6 iron. Took about 100 shots to start to get the feel of the backswing he wants. Once that took hold the rest was simple. Normal SW of about 100 yds. jumped to about 112 on average with no additional effort. Same increases with the other clubs. It's a pivot driven swing that requires good tempo. The key is to nail the backswing and pivot and the rest falls into place. The shaft shallows as a reaction to the change in direction of the pivot so long as you don't intentionally force it. Had to experiment with the width of the stance to get the best results. Also had to get used to the tighter and shorter swing feeling but the results produced confidence in the changes.

I'm not a fan of the cupped lead wrist in the backswing, but found it does work if you are performing the rest of the mechanics correctly. The swing also works with a flat lead wrist if you so choose.

Good section in the book on faults and fixes that apply to any swing.

This is an easier swing so long as you don't complicate it with reams of other instruction you've accumulated throughout the years. The instruction is well explained and simple to follow, so pay attention and go with it. It's just getting used to some slight changes from your normal swing that takes time. You can theorize all you want about who the swing resembles, but I can tell you it works.

The jury is still out on the long irons and woods, which I will experiment with next.

I'm willing to give this swing a shot. I am a pretty decent player, mid to low single digits, currently a 3.8 index but have been as low as a 1.0. My index is up about a stoke and a half since coming back from left knee replacement surgery. I don't know if that has affected my swing physically or mentally but I do struggle (for me) all too often. I am very consistent score-wise, pretty much 75 +/- 3 on my home course. However, one day it is my driver and short game that works, other days it is my irons. I have absolutely no consistency within a round much less day-to-day as I have no "go to" method to promote consistency. I like to say I have 283 swing thoughts, that is 283 [i]simultaneous [/i]swing thoughts and when I do hit a good shot I have no idea which of those 283 was the key! :taunt:

Years ago, late 90's, my wife bought me a lesson with Hank Haney as a Christmas present. His whole process was based on swing plane and he had me taking the club back with the head outside the hands but different than Leadbetter's A swing the hands went farther away from the body than what the videos about the A swing are showing, basically taking the club outside to start. Perhaps an exaggeration as he diagnosed my big swing fault as taking ti back too far to the inside?

Anyway, I have had lessons here and there and just about everybody has a "method" they teach, trying to mold the student into an image of what that method should look like to them. Very few golf instructors can work with a swing and suggest a minor change here and there that would really help the golfer, unless that golfer is already using their "method".

I am for anything that simplifies the swing by reducing the number of moving parts, the things that can go wrong and simplifies the thought process Like I said, I'll give it a shot as I am always tinkering in an unintelligible way anyway,

[quote] Phil75070 wrote:
Anyway, I have had lessons here and there and just about everybody has a "method" they teach, trying to mold the student into an image of what that method should look like to them. Very few golf instructors can work with a swing and suggest a minor change here and there that would really help the golfer, unless that golfer is already using their "method".
[/quote]

My experience is a bit different. The issue most instructors have is that the student is asking for something that his current swing can not support. Making a tweak or minor adjustment won't get the student to see their goals. Now what I have seen is that many of the instructors will apply a method to build off of, most instructors are not limited either cause in reality the basics for most methods are the same.

Now it would appear the Leadbetter's grip, in the fingers is not new but is usually not considered a mainstream concept. Now I haven't read the book but from many of the comments I have read and images I have seen it would appear that this is a compact swing with a very similar Hogan Transition and Pivot (gets the club to switch planes/shallow out in downswing), etc.

I have to say reading here and other forums, I might go ahead and begin reading the book instead of waiting till mid June.

Simplicity, Consistency, Compact all sound real good, not to mention everyone seems to indicate they have seen an increase in distance. Who knows maybe after all these years Leadbetter may have been able to put together the basic components for an average golfer's golf swing (he certainly has been and studied enough golf method/styles and golfers.)

Hope you all continue to have success

Why do I have a hard time believing that you are really interested and not looking for another opportunity to be negative. Must be a personality trait. The book has been out, what, a couple of weeks? Does your handicap drop significantly in that amount of time? Do your swing changes bring big of a change to your scores in that time? It seems that it just chides you that some people are really having some success with this since it seems to be your personal mission to denounce it.

Odessey White Hot #5

[quote name='mattwood' timestamp='1432524522' post='11621188']
Why do I have a hard time believing that you are really interested and not looking for another opportunity to be negative. Must be a personality trait. The book has been out, what, a couple of weeks? Does your handicap drop significantly in that amount of time? Do your swing changes bring big of a change to your scores in that time? It seems that it just chides you that some people are really having some success with this since it seems to be your personal mission to denounce it.
[/quote]

You are reading way too much into this bro. Just asking a question. Multiple instructors on here lower handicaps by multiple strokes after a couple lessons, so based on some of the responses in this thread, I'd expect similar results. I'm just asking, I'd expect that many people have reduced their caps by a couple strokes, wouldn't you based on some of the responses? I hope people are getting better, I'd doesn't bother me at all, I'm just curious about what levels of succes we are talking about.