2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping i-e Irons?

Nessism

[quote name='awtryau89' timestamp='1439078409' post='12102764']I've played 2 full rounds with mine. My club championship started today and I was hesitant to put them in play with only 1 practice round. I threw caution to the wind and did it anyway. Sitting in 5th 4 shots out after a stupid triple on 17. For reference I have been playing s55s with Tour Vs stiff soft stepped which are now on the BSTs. The Nippons feel more active and a touch less crisp as compared to the Tour Vs. My first round yesterday I knew I would love them. More forgiving for sure and very muted feeling. The Nippons help me hit it very high. The stiff 105s feel soft to flex when I go after it but they hang in there so well. No big hooks or fades at all. Just a nice straight ball with a slight draw or fade. After a few holes I knew I could really trust them and I came home and put the s55s on the BST. Our greens were running at 11 today and I tried to stay under the hole if at all possible. Hit a 9 iron into a 152 yard par 3. The s55s would put me 5-6 paces below that pin on a well struck shot. The i's were 5-6 paces behind the pin all with a good bit higher trajectory. Same situation on 2 more par 3s that played 183 and 185. Hit 6 iron 7-8 paces behind both where the s55s would be right at pin high. These were moon ball shots for me as well and I am loving it. For those worrying about trajectory with the Nippons, you can knock them down too but they are definitely on the high side of anything I have ever hit.[/quote]thanks for the good feedback. Play yesterday in green noted at 11 and my j15 cb with dg pro were i save my game because the driver was not my best friend!

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

Really? So do the Modus 105 shafts launch higher than the Modus 130? T

Ping lists the Modus 130 as higher launching, but the Titleist custom options chart shows the Modus 130 as a low launching shaft... Which is it?

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
Srixon z785 (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 50° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 55° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 60° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s

Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F

[quote name='ace036' timestamp='1439090151' post='12103646']

Ping lists the Modus 130 as higher launching, but the Titleist custom options chart shows the Modus 130 as a low launching shaft... Which is it?
[/quote]

The 130 is significantly lower launching than the 105

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 60S

Fairway: TTE E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70S

Driving Iron:  PXG 0311X 2i w/ Tensei CK Pro White 90S

Hybrid:  PXG 0317X Gen2 19o w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 90S

Irons:  PXG 0311P Gen4 5-G w/ AeroTech SteelFiber 115fc S

Wedges:  Taylormade MG2 56o & 60o

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

[quote name='rbilramz' timestamp='1439098407' post='12103962']
[quote name='ace036' timestamp='1439090151' post='12103646']

[/quote]

The 130 is significantly lower launching than the 105
[/quote]

This is what's confusing. Nippon says the opposite, that the 130 is a lot higher than the 105. They list the 105 as mid and the 130 as high: http://nipponshaft.com/modus3/ They seem to say the 105 is for normal swings and the 130 is high launch low spin for the guys with tons of lag and lots of de-lofting (no wonder Sergio plays it). It is interesting that the manufacturer calls the 105 mid launch (with the 130 being high launch) and ping calls the 105 high launch.

Also, even tho ping lists the 105 stiff as high launch on the iE1 page, if you look at their customs options ( http://pinggolf-blob.ping.com/pinggolf/uploadedfiles/clubs/customize/ping_custom_options.pdf ) ping lists the it as mid-high launch (page 9). Not sure why that difference in launch angle between the two listings. Also worth noting, In the shaft comparison chart (page 4), lists the 105 as mid trajectory.

[quote name='awtryau89' timestamp='1439078409' post='12102764']
I've played 2 full rounds with mine. My club championship started today and I was hesitant to put them in play with only 1 practice round. I threw caution to the wind and did it anyway. Sitting in 5th 4 shots out after a stupid triple on 17. For reference I have been playing s55s with Tour Vs stiff soft stepped which are now on the BSTs. The Nippons feel more active and a touch less crisp as compared to the Tour Vs. My first round yesterday I knew I would love them. More forgiving for sure and very muted feeling. The Nippons help me hit it very high. The stiff 105s feel soft to flex when I go after it but they hang in there so well. No big hooks or fades at all. Just a nice straight ball with a slight draw or fade. After a few holes I knew I could really trust them and I came home and put the s55s on the BST. Our greens were running at 11 today and I tried to stay under the hole if at all possible. Hit a 9 iron into a 152 yard par 3. The s55s would put me 5-6 paces below that pin on a well struck shot. The i's were 5-6 paces behind the pin all with a good bit higher trajectory. Same situation on 2 more par 3s that played 183 and 185. Hit 6 iron 7-8 paces behind both where the s55s would be right at pin high. These were moon ball shots for me as well and I am loving it. For those worrying about trajectory with the Nippons, you can knock them down too but they are definitely on the high side of anything I have ever hit.
[/quote]
Good luck on your Sunday round!

[quote name='Scooter321' timestamp='1438047199' post='12031358']
Does anyone know why there is a 5 degree gap between the 8 and 9 iron but only 4 degrees PW to 9 iron and 4 degrees 8 iron to 7 iron...seems very strange.
[/quote]

I would imagine it has to do with cg location. Many sets are designed to launch higher in long and mid irons, lower in short irons. If this is the case with these, which I believe it is, you would need that extra degree difference where the weighting changes to keep gapping consistent.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

[quote name='Sef' timestamp='1439121269' post='12104320']
[quote name='Scooter321' timestamp='1438047199' post='12031358']
Does anyone know why there is a 5 degree gap between the 8 and 9 iron but only 4 degrees PW to 9 iron and 4 degrees 8 iron to 7 iron...seems very strange.
[/quote]

I would imagine it has to do with cg location. Many sets are designed to launch higher in long and mid irons, lower in short irons. If this is the case with these, which I believe it is, you would need that extra degree difference where the weighting changes to keep gapping consistent.
[/quote]

Ping also made the length difference in the ie1 between the 9 and pw 1/2 inch vs the i25 where it was 1/4 inch, that probably doesn't fully explain the 4deg vs 5deg gap in the ie1 vs i25 in 9-pw. But it does contribute quite a bit.

Played mine also today... was fun. The ball flight is definetly on the high side but that is no problem. Checked it on my Trackman yesterday and the launch is not higher than my S55 or anything was impressed by the extra carry and the pretty steep landing angle. What i found the most interesting was that it is soooo much straighter than the S55 is on mishits. It is no problem shaping your shot but on a mishit it is really forgiving......

Titleist TS 3 Graphite 10,5 Design IZ 6 Stiff
Titleist TS 2 Graphite 16,5 Design IZ 7 Stiff
Titleist CNCPT irons 3456789

I hit these today along with the S55, same CFS stiff shaft, both 7 irons. Both felt very good, close to forged. The I averaged 171 while the S averaged 164. I stepped on it with both, and got the distance to 179 on each.

I really liked the looks of these, but I may prefer the S profile more. I need to see how the MP 25, new callys, and new titleist stacks up before I make a final call.

Cobra Darkspeed LS, Ventus TR Blue 6x

Ping G430 Max 15*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Ping G430 Max 21*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Ping Blueprint S 4-P, PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno T24, 50*/56*/60*, KBS Hi Rev 2.0 blackout 

Evnroll ESR2 Black

[quote name='pullfade' timestamp='1439117729' post='12104234']
[quote name='awtryau89' timestamp='1439078409' post='12102764']
I've played 2 full rounds with mine. My club championship started today and I was hesitant to put them in play with only 1 practice round. I threw caution to the wind and did it anyway. Sitting in 5th 4 shots out after a stupid triple on 17. For reference I have been playing s55s with Tour Vs stiff soft stepped which are now on the BSTs. The Nippons feel more active and a touch less crisp as compared to the Tour Vs. My first round yesterday I knew I would love them. More forgiving for sure and very muted feeling. The Nippons help me hit it very high. The stiff 105s feel soft to flex when I go after it but they hang in there so well. No big hooks or fades at all. Just a nice straight ball with a slight draw or fade. After a few holes I knew I could really trust them and I came home and put the s55s on the BST. Our greens were running at 11 today and I tried to stay under the hole if at all possible. Hit a 9 iron into a 152 yard par 3. The s55s would put me 5-6 paces below that pin on a well struck shot. The i's were 5-6 paces behind the pin all with a good bit higher trajectory. Same situation on 2 more par 3s that played 183 and 185. Hit 6 iron 7-8 paces behind both where the s55s would be right at pin high. These were moon ball shots for me as well and I am loving it. For those worrying about trajectory with the Nippons, you can knock them down too but they are definitely on the high side of anything I have ever hit.
[/quote]
Good luck on your Sunday round!
[/quote]

Thanks. I stunk it up and finished 2 shots out of a 3 man playoff. 6 over won our championship this year. I'm still stinging from the triple yesterday but everyone can always find a bunch of shots.

As for the 105s hitting it high compared to other Nippon shafts, I can't say for sure. I have had 950s and the 105s don't hit it as high as those but I have mostly been a KBS and CFS player. Playing partners have always commented on how high I hit the ball and these are giving me a touch more overall height but I am gaining distance. If you go watch any PGA or Web.com event, they hit moon balls. I play regularly with a younger pro in our money games and he just amazes me how high he hits the ball off all his clubs. The Nippons are helping me get close. Don't confuse height with spinny. The Nippons are not spinny to the point where I am spinning the ball so much its climbing and then dropping out of the sky. I would suggest if you have questions, go to the Nippon thread on this forum and read up.

[quote name='Techgolfer1' timestamp='1439161279' post='12106948']
Ordered mine up the other day. 1/4" long, yellow dot, 4-gap, project x 6.0, GP multicompound plus 4s. Should be awesome. We will see if they get the s55s out of the bag.
[/quote]
How tall are you? I looked at these the other day and they are longer and more upright then I play standard. I'm 6'2" and would have to order 1° flat and probably -1/4". I would have to hit them but the bottom line was sitting up pretty decent on me...

Paradym TD 8° @ 9° | Paradym TD 15° | UW 19° | Honma TW747V 4-9 | Zipcore 47°/51°/55°/59° | Evnroll EV2 Armlock

[quote name='Masse1369' timestamp='1439174917' post='12107974']
[quote name='Techgolfer1' timestamp='1439161279' post='12106948']
Ordered mine up the other day. 1/4" long, yellow dot, 4-gap, project x 6.0, GP multicompound plus 4s. Should be awesome. We will see if they get the s55s out of the bag.
[/quote]
How tall are you? I looked at these the other day and they are longer and more upright then I play standard. I'm 6'2" and would have to order 1° flat and probably -1/4". I would have to hit them but the bottom line was sitting up pretty decent on me...
[/quote]

Being that the "stock" offering is now blue dot (.75 degrees upright) and +1/4", I'd say you prefer your irons to play "stock" per the i25's.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 60S

Fairway: TTE E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70S

Driving Iron:  PXG 0311X 2i w/ Tensei CK Pro White 90S

Hybrid:  PXG 0317X Gen2 19o w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 90S

Irons:  PXG 0311P Gen4 5-G w/ AeroTech SteelFiber 115fc S

Wedges:  Taylormade MG2 56o & 60o

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I hit the "new" Pings on the range yesterday. Friend of mine has them in the bag (I currently play the i20s...love them) and really enjoyed the flight with the zz stiff shaft (hard stepped 1x). Maybe a bit too high but the 4i got up and flighted nicely.

Would love to see them in play with a normal golf ball as opposed to range rocks but I know if I leave my current set up it will be for these irons.

Hope all enjoy as much.

Cheers.

[quote name='Lord Helmet' timestamp='1438605716' post='12068652']
[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1438604823' post='12068570']
Checked out the finish at a local shop and the heads look like they were first media blasted and then a brushed finish applied. No tinting of the stainless as far as I can tell. The face on the other hand has a coating on it, just like the older chrome plated Ping heads. Unfortunately this coating will wear off, and the dark finish will show the wear more readily than a lighter finish. Hope we won't have a bunch of threads on face wear next.
[/quote]

Has there been any comparison on these irons v AP1?
[/quote]

These seem more like in AP2 territory for comparison purposes.- much to my chagrin. :nono:

Driver  :XXIO 10
Woods : COBRA RADSPEED 3W + 5W
Hybrids : NONE 
Irons : JPX-800-HD
Wedges : CLEVELAND CBX2  50-11 + 56-12 + 60-10
Putter : ODYSSEY WHITE HOT  RX  #2

[quote name='Masse1369' timestamp='1439174917' post='12107974'][quote name='Techgolfer1' timestamp='1439161279' post='12106948']
[/quote]
How tall are you? I looked at these the other day and they are longer and more upright then I play standard. I'm 6'2" and would have to order 1° flat and probably -1/4". I would have to hit them but the bottom line was sitting up pretty decent on me...[/quote]

I'm 6'1". I've always played a little long of standard and upright lies.

I change too much to list it. Working on that...

[quote name='scottaz' timestamp='1439228201' post='12110986']Looking forward to hearing from former 55 players with the PX's or DG X100'S.[/quote]

55 guy here with the PX 6.0. I'll let you know when I get the new ones in. They'll have to be damn good. Last 5 rounds with my 55s have been 67, 66, 66, 65, 73. I've hit the i irons and they are certainly more forgiving and not clunky. They felt better to me and prolly go a touch longer. It will be an easy transition I would assume but I don't plan on getting rid of the 55s which I've had for about 2 months.

I change too much to list it. Working on that...

[quote name='Techgolfer1' timestamp='1439230264' post='12111186']
[quote name='scottaz' timestamp='1439228201' post='12110986']Looking forward to hearing from former 55 players with the PX's or DG X100'S.[/quote]

55 guy here with the PX 6.0. I'll let you know when I get the new ones in. They'll have to be damn good. Last 5 rounds with my 55s have been 67, 66, 66, 65, 73. I've hit the i irons and they are certainly more forgiving and not clunky. They felt better to me and prolly go a touch longer. It will be an easy transition I would assume but I don't plan on getting rid of the 55s which I've had for about 2 months.
[/quote]

Thanks I appreciate it. The 55 are really great. But these and the mp 25's have my eye wandering for the first time in a while.

Both the MP25's and the iE1's have my eye wandering too. I've played the S55's since they came out (with some wandering in between...), and they have been great clubs. When I get busy with work or other stuff and can't play for a while, it takes a bit to get back into the groove with them. I hit the iE1's the other day and they were considerably easier to hit than the S55's for me, however the feel was there and they were quite workable too. They have a bigger topline than the S55's, but they are not huge from address by any means.

I have some AP2's on the way because I need at least one set with Steelfibers for when my joints or back flare up, but I am going for a Trackman fitting on the MP25's and iE1's very soon. The MP25's have their work cut out for them because the iE1's seem to tick all the boxes for me so far. I'll know for sure after the fitting!

I hit the Demo #7 iron Ping i-e iron today with the Nippon Pro Modus 105, up against my own Taylormade Tour Preferred CB with KBS Tour Stiff. Now, bearing in mind that I'm very happy with my own Irons atm, and the Ping i-e is a touch on the upright lie angle side of things for me. I had some mixed results. On the negative side, I wasn't overly keen on the feel, they felt a little 'clicky' even in comparison to my Tour Preferred CB's. But that's a subjective thing I guess. On the positive side, the looks are address are pretty sound. The ball speeds with the Pings/Pro Modus combo was 3 mph more ball speeds than my TM CB's. Launch angle was the same, and spin was a 500rpm more with the Pro Modus 105 than with my KBS Tours, and yet, the ball flight looked a touch lower and more 'go forward' in trajectory as opposed my more rainbow flight of the KBS Tours, so that was a little odd. But I loved the feel and performance of the Nippon Pro Modus 105, and carry distances were consistently averaged 4 yards more with Pings as opposed to my TM CB's. I'm sure that with some lie angle tweaking the results could have been even better.

Overall, I loved the new Pro Modus 105's, but I'm going to hang on and wait to see what the new Titleist 716 offerings will bring to the table in terms of performance , and indeed, whether they will put the new Pro Modus 105 onto their Custom option list.

[quote name='awtryau89' timestamp='1439157607' post='12106692']
As for the 105s hitting it high compared to other Nippon shafts, I can't say for sure. I have had 950s and the 105s don't hit it as high as those but I have mostly been a KBS and CFS player. Playing partners have always commented on how high I hit the ball and these are giving me a touch more overall height but I am gaining distance. If you go watch any PGA or Web.com event, they hit moon balls. I play regularly with a younger pro in our money games and he just amazes me how high he hits the ball off all his clubs. The Nippons are helping me get close. Don't confuse height with spinny. The Nippons are not spinny to the point where I am spinning the ball so much its climbing and then dropping out of the sky. I would suggest if you have questions, go to the Nippon thread on this forum and read up.
[/quote]

I played my first round with the Modus 105's yesterday. I was amazed at how high I hit the ball WITHOUT being spinny. I've never been a Nippon guy at all ... but these were great. The light weight took a tad getting used to because I'm used to heavier shafts, but the feel was outstanding. Once I got a little more used to the light weight, I felt like I could hit any shot I wanted to (albeit, for a high single digit handicap).

I came from G25's with DG Pro S300's and I was hitting these noticeably higher than I did with the G25s. First shot out of the gate was a 7 iron on a 168 par 3. The ball just climbed and climbed and came down super soft 10 feet from the flag. Needless to say, I was pleasantly pleased.

PING 430 Max 10.5 
PING G430 Max 18.5 
PING G430 Max 20.5 
PING i230 4-W DGS300 120
PING Glide 4.0, 50SS / 54SS / 58SS
Axis 1 Joey

[quote name='fowleristhetruth' timestamp='1439313673' post='12117570']
can anyone compare these to the 2013 anser forged irons?
[/quote]

Same nice feel same kind of flight maybe a bit higher same playability at least one club longer I would say...

Titleist TS 3 Graphite 10,5 Design IZ 6 Stiff
Titleist TS 2 Graphite 16,5 Design IZ 7 Stiff
Titleist CNCPT irons 3456789

These irons are really tempting me. Two weeks ago I shot -1 but ever since then I've been struggling a bit with my 5/6 iron. My s55s must have known I started looking the the iE1 and turned on me haha. I know a more forgiving 5/6 iron would help me but I love and hit 7-PW so well with the s55s. Looks like I should spend some more time at the range to get things dialed in. It is tough to not look around when you start to hit a few clubs bad.

Optiforce 440 9.5* w/ B-Series BlueBoard 60X
913H 18*& 22* w/ iRod 85F4
Ping s55 (4-PW) w/ Recoil 95 Prototype
Engage 50sq, 54sq, 60ds w/ Recoil 110 Prototype
Bettinardi Signature Series 7

[quote name='threeputt' timestamp='1439321756' post='12118336']
[quote name='fowleristhetruth' timestamp='1439313673' post='12117570']
can anyone compare these to the 2013 anser forged irons?
[/quote]

Same nice feel same kind of flight maybe a bit higher same playability at least one club longer I would say...
[/quote]
Agree. Higher ball flight, especially in the long irons. Prefer the feel of the ie on well struck shots.

[quote name='rpaige88' timestamp='1439333492' post='12119594']
These irons are really tempting me. Two weeks ago I shot -1 but ever since then I've been struggling a bit with my 5/6 iron. My s55s must have known I started looking the the iE1 and turned on me haha. I know a more forgiving 5/6 iron would help me but I love and hit 7-PW so well with the s55s. Looks like I should spend some more time at the range to get things dialed in. It is tough to not look around when you start to hit a few clubs bad.
[/quote] I'm the same with 4&5 so ended up with a combi set to deal with it as I liked the shorter irons so much..

M2 Diamana blue board
Titleist 915f 3 wood
X hot hybid
Ping Rapture 2 iron
5-pw MP 25 irons
Vokey SM6 52 &56
Scotty X7M counterbalance

[quote name='Gogogadgetwilly' timestamp='1439361246' post='12121854']
[quote name='rpaige88' timestamp='1439333492' post='12119594']
[/quote] I'm the same with 4&5 so ended up with a combi set to deal with it as I liked the shorter irons so much..
[/quote]

4/5 in the ie1s? Or i25/20s?

Optiforce 440 9.5* w/ B-Series BlueBoard 60X
913H 18*& 22* w/ iRod 85F4
Ping s55 (4-PW) w/ Recoil 95 Prototype
Engage 50sq, 54sq, 60ds w/ Recoil 110 Prototype
Bettinardi Signature Series 7