2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping i-e Irons?

Nessism

[quote name='fowleristhetruth' timestamp='1439313673' post='12117570']
can anyone compare these to the 2013 anser forged irons?
[/quote]

I am re-posting my thoughts from the other thread, as it seems relevant to your question

[color=#282828]"Tested these yesterday and I was really impressed. Three of my last five sets of irons have been Ping and I am on the current generation of Ansers. Compared to those we all know that the lofts are stronger and the clubs are a quarter of an inch longer in the stock club. The heads are definitely a bit bigger heel to toe too. That should add up to more distance and forgiveness and it does so in spades. I loved these, hitting a seven iron half to two thirds of a club longer (carry and roll) with a massive increase in accuracy and a huge reduction in dispersion. Hit the flag at 169 on the range (ground was hard!) which I have never managed before (on the course or the range). [/color]

[color=#282828]I was also impressed by the feel/sound (feel free to debate elsewhere!). Solid and soft sound, pretty much ideal to my ear. There was enough vibration dampening in off centre hits yet you knew where you had missed it on the face. Impressive.[/color]

[color=#282828]I liked the head colour - it has a similar warmth to the S58s - almost a hint of nickel in the patina. If you like shiny chrome these will not be your cup of tea. They are more matt and muted than the Ansers or i25s. The controversial blue in the cavity is not the best but it is so tiny and discreet that it can't really be deemed offensive. It is the same colour as the original 'man on a motorbike' putter (can't remember the model number I'm afraid). It would be smarter in black, no doubt. It occurs to me that if that is what I am most concerned with then there aren't too many negatives about the club.[/color]

[color=#282828]The other bit that I would need to spend a bit more time with to decide whether I want to move on to these is to try some more shaft options. My Ansers have graphite (Oban i80) and I was hitting XP95s. The flights were chalk and cheese, with iE1s flying significantly higher with nearly 1000 more rpm (just over 6k rpm with the iE1). I had always felt my ball flight was on the high side but these climbed so much further. The launch angles were one degree apart (either side of 20 degrees) but the iE1s clearly kept on going up after the Ansers had apexed. For info, my club head speed with the 7 iron was apparently 85mph (Trackman - surprisingly high for me but 2 mph faster than with the Ansers). The relative difference is the interesting bit but as this was a Ping fitting session I doubt the calibration was set to over-read significantly since the whole point was to show the relative differences.[/color]

[color=#282828]So, I would love to test them on grass, mats clearly are a lot more forgiving but at this point, I am pretty much sold. This is good news as I was seriously tempted to give PXG a whirl if I could have got my hands on a left hand set. Comments about the price are justified. These are cast clubs (albeit with a decent amount of R&D behind it to bring it on from the prior generation). For those commenting on the UK price, I was given a price about £100 less than that. I hope to find out soon that the resales value of used Pings makes up for the premium on the entry price! [/color]

[color=#282828]In short, loved them! "[/color]

I haven't been fitted for clubs in my life and went through the process demoing Ping IE1s, AP2s, Mizuno JPX-850s, TM RSI2s and Callaway Apexes. Loved the Ping flight, feel and look. I purchased a set at the end of July and just got word that they were in today. Can't wait get them out on the course for the first time.

[quote name='chasm' timestamp='1439402805' post='12124508']
[quote name='fowleristhetruth' timestamp='1439313673' post='12117570']
can anyone compare these to the 2013 anser forged irons?
[/quote]

I am re-posting my thoughts from the other thread, as it seems relevant to your question

[color=#282828]"Tested these yesterday and I was really impressed. Three of my last five sets of irons have been Ping and I am on the current generation of Ansers. Compared to those we all know that the lofts are stronger and the clubs are a quarter of an inch longer in the stock club. The heads are definitely a bit bigger heel to toe too. That should add up to more distance and forgiveness and it does so in spades. I loved these, hitting a seven iron half to two thirds of a club longer (carry and roll) with a massive increase in accuracy and a huge reduction in dispersion. Hit the flag at 169 on the range (ground was hard!) which I have never managed before (on the course or the range). [/color]

[color=#282828]I was also impressed by the feel/sound (feel free to debate elsewhere!). Solid and soft sound, pretty much ideal to my ear. There was enough vibration dampening in off centre hits yet you knew where you had missed it on the face. Impressive.[/color]

[color=#282828]I liked the head colour - it has a similar warmth to the S58s - almost a hint of nickel in the patina. If you like shiny chrome these will not be your cup of tea. They are more matt and muted than the Ansers or i25s. The controversial blue in the cavity is not the best but it is so tiny and discreet that it can't really be deemed offensive. It is the same colour as the original 'man on a motorbike' putter (can't remember the model number I'm afraid). It would be smarter in black, no doubt. It occurs to me that if that is what I am most concerned with then there aren't too many negatives about the club.[/color]

[color=#282828]The other bit that I would need to spend a bit more time with to decide whether I want to move on to these is to try some more shaft options. My Ansers have graphite (Oban i80) and I was hitting XP95s. The flights were chalk and cheese, with iE1s flying significantly higher with nearly 1000 more rpm (just over 6k rpm with the iE1). I had always felt my ball flight was on the high side but these climbed so much further. The launch angles were one degree apart (either side of 20 degrees) but the iE1s clearly kept on going up after the Ansers had apexed. For info, my club head speed with the 7 iron was apparently 85mph (Trackman - surprisingly high for me but 2 mph faster than with the Ansers). The relative difference is the interesting bit but as this was a Ping fitting session I doubt the calibration was set to over-read significantly since the whole point was to show the relative differences.[/color]

[color=#282828]So, I would love to test them on grass, mats clearly are a lot more forgiving but at this point, I am pretty much sold. This is good news as I was seriously tempted to give PXG a whirl if I could have got my hands on a left hand set. Comments about the price are justified. These are cast clubs (albeit with a decent amount of R&D behind it to bring it on from the prior generation). For those commenting on the UK price, I was given a price about £100 less than that. I hope to find out soon that the resales value of used Pings makes up for the premium on the entry price! [/color]

[color=#282828]In short, loved them! "[/color]
[/quote]

thank you

i too have those ansers and this is what i am looking to replace them with.

Will probably be a few months before I can "swing it"

Everyone else that already has theirs, keep those on course reviews coming

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

These irons are stupid good!!! Played ping irons for years but have strayed recently and went to the rsi2 irons. I really did like the taylormades as they have been great irons. I just Wanted to come home to ping. Was really nervous that I would be costing myself distance and forgiveness by switching to the I's. All put to rest today as I went out with the I's. No distance loss whatsoever. And really about the same forgiveness wise. A little lower ball flight over the taylormades which I find to be a good thing. Still turn it when I want but these bad boys just want to go straight which is really what I want anymore. Look forward to more rounds to come with these

[quote name='lefty32077' timestamp='1439511563' post='12133164']
These irons are stupid good!!! Played ping irons for years but have strayed recently and went to the rsi2 irons. I really did like the taylormades as they have been great irons. I just Wanted to come home to ping. Was really nervous that I would be costing myself distance and forgiveness by switching to the I's. All put to rest today as I went out with the I's. No distance loss whatsoever. And really about the same forgiveness wise. A little lower ball flight over the taylormades which I find to be a good thing. Still turn it when I want but these bad boys just want to go straight which is really what I want anymore. Look forward to more rounds to come with these
[/quote]
http://youtu.be/A1F9tjpy7cs

@therealping

[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1439518465' post='12133968']
[quote name='lefty32077' timestamp='1439511563' post='12133164']
[/quote]
http://youtu.be/A1F9tjpy7cs
[/quote]

I attribute my experience to possibly the fact I had the modus in pings going against the kbs

[quote name='Foreleft' timestamp='1439573505' post='12137486']
Just ordered with Modus 105 and specified at D3 SW, dealer was told that D2 was the highest.

Does that sound right to you?
[/quote]Not really. The only way that holds is if there is a limit on what the tungsten insert/plug weighs. Even then, couldn't they put a little weight in the hosel, etc.

I was standing there when my fitter was on the phone with Ping and heard the entire conversation.

Still did not sound right ( the Ping rep on the other end seemed inexperienced, as she could not locate the Lamkin 3 gen grip in black- said it was unavailable).

Just got off the phone with ping CS. They can indeed build the I at D3 SW.

Grr.

I played with the demo set from my club. They'd never hit a ball --- I almost felt guilty taking their virginity. Super forgiving and easy to keep straight. Won my friendly 3-2 and was 3 under my cap. Layed up on all par 5s because I wanted to hit the irons. Maybe I should do that more often...

FWIW - the demos I had were black dot which struck me as odd seeing as blue is the new black.

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

[quote name='denvergolf' timestamp='1439574279' post='12137560'][quote name='Foreleft' timestamp='1439573505' post='12137486']
Just ordered with Modus 105 and specified at D3 SW, dealer was told that D2 was the highest.

[/quote]Not really. The only way that holds is if there is a limit on what the tungsten insert/plug weighs. Even then, couldn't they put a little weight in the hosel, etc.[/quote]

They don't increase weight through their tungsten plugs or by putting weight in the hosel.

They always increase the SW by using a heavier CTP weight. Them not being able to get the SW up to a D3 does not sound right. I've ordered irons in the past at D4 with no problems.

PING 430 Max 10.5 
PING G430 Max 18.5 
PING G430 Max 20.5 
PING i230 4-W DGS300 120
PING Glide 4.0, 50SS / 54SS / 58SS
Axis 1 Joey

[quote name='denvergolf' timestamp='1439574279' post='12137560']
[quote name='Foreleft' timestamp='1439573505' post='12137486']

[/quote]Not really. The only way that holds is if there is a limit on what the tungsten insert/plug weighs. Even then, couldn't they put a little weight in the hosel, etc.
[/quote]

I had my 55's up'd to d4 with no issues. But that was a few years ago.

Update on SW and its not good.

So to recap - I want to order I-e1 irons +1/4", Nippon Modus 105 stiff, which is 107 uncut.

Asked for D3 SW, which I thought would be no problem (grip was 50 gr Iomic). My pro called in the order, which I listened in on. Was told that D2 was max.

Website shows SW of D!, which would be with the CFS shaft, which is slightly heavier. So I am thinking SW should be D0 + 1/4" should get me to at least D1.5 - surely they would be able to use the Custom Tuning Port (notice the name) to get the SW up another 1.5 pts.

Didn't seem right, so after placing the order, I called Ping CS back up and the rep said that on his calculator, and his paperwork, that the i-e was available up to D3+. He gave me his extension and name and asked that my pro call him.

About 2 hours, my pro had called out, and the story is back to that the max the i-e can SW with the modus shaft is D2 (she had to speak with a third rep).

Seems very unlikely to me that Ping does not have CTP's to take the SW way beyond a D2.

[quote name='Foreleft' timestamp='1439594904' post='12139468']

So to recap - I want to order I-e1 irons +1/4", Nippon Modus 105 stiff, which is 107 uncut.

Asked for D3 SW, which I thought would be no problem (grip was 50 gr Iomic). My pro called in the order, which I listened in on. Was told that D2 was max.

Website shows SW of D!, which would be with the CFS shaft, which is slightly heavier. So I am thinking SW should be D0 + 1/4" should get me to at least D1.5 - surely they would be able to use the Custom Tuning Port (notice the name) to get the SW up another 1.5 pts.

Didn't seem right, so after placing the order, I called Ping CS back up and the rep said that on his calculator, and his paperwork, that the i-e was available up to D3+. He gave me his extension and name and asked that my pro call him.

About 2 hours, my pro had called out, and the story is back to that the max the i-e can SW with the modus shaft is D2 (she had to speak with a third rep).

Seems very unlikely to me that Ping does not have CTP's to take the SW way beyond a D2.
[/quote]

It does seem weird partly because it doesn't take all that much extra weight in the ctp to bring up the weight. But also because, it won't be unusual for someone to order clubs -1/2 inch etc. and if they don't have bigger ctp weights available all this shorter length orders will come in with really light singweights. Doesn't seem to accord with ping's custom fitting culture to not be able to handle swingweigting in shorter length clubs.

[quote name='Foreleft' timestamp='1439594904' post='12139468']

[/quote]

I just ordered a set for a friend with the modus 105 and he wanted d3 and we got them this week with no issues. Sorry you are having such issues on your order.

[quote name='sTmGolfer' timestamp='1439579524' post='12138102'][quote name='denvergolf' timestamp='1439574279' post='12137560'][quote name='Foreleft' timestamp='1439573505' post='12137486']

[/quote]Not really. The only way that holds is if there is a limit on what the tungsten insert/plug weighs. Even then, couldn't they put a little weight in the hosel, etc.[/quote]

They don't increase weight through their tungsten plugs or by putting weight in the hosel.

They always increase the SW by using a heavier CTP weight. Them not being able to get the SW up to a D3 does not sound right. I've ordered irons in the past at D4 with no problems.[/quote] I was referring to the CTP which I thought was made out of tungsten

I've had a couple of rounds with my iE1s now.

They're pretty sweet; longer than the i25s for me, and I prefer the feel.

The finish is pretty soft, though; has worn through/darkened in patches already?! I don't care so much, but this could be a concern for others.

[attachment=2906924:IMG_1094.JPG]

Secondly, not the best build from PING unfortunately; half the clubs have got a rattle in the shaft. Have never, ever had this straight out of the box from any manufacturer... /shrug

[quote name='And321' timestamp='1439600236' post='12139950']

The finish is pretty soft, though; has worn through/darkened in patches already?! I don't care so much, but this could be a concern for others.

Secondly, not the best build from PING unfortunately; half the clubs have got a rattle in the shaft. Have never, ever had this straight out of the box from any manufacturer... /shrug
[/quote]

Is there much wear on the face as well? How did the club get those dark patches in the back? Seems like a strange place for wear.

[quote name='Foreleft' timestamp='1439602130' post='12140136']
Oh man, here we go again with finish issues?
[/quote]

You blaming Ping or the people who bought the irons ?

Yonex ezone 380 10* Rexis M-1 shaft
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 15.5* Miyazaki
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 20.5* Miyazaki
Ping S56 4-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
KZG 100% milled center shaft putter

[quote name='And321' timestamp='1439611698' post='12140998']
[quote name='Scooter321' timestamp='1439601987' post='12140126']Is there much wear on the face as well? How did the club get those dark patches in the back? Seems like a strange place for wear.[/quote]

Faces seem okay.

The dark patches are weird, right? Bag chatter, I think. Has to be.
[/quote]
I got similar marks on my G15 irons when I first got them. Never could figure out what it was. It did come off during play and I could even wet it a little and use my fingernail to get it off. I don't remember it on my G25's but it went away so quickly on the 15's that I didn't even really pay attention to it.

[quote name='square' timestamp='1439609469' post='12140782']
[/quote]

[/quote]

The i20, s55 and i25 had finish issues. Ping reportedly changed the finish on the i-e irons, so if there is any issue, it would be with Ping.

edited for typo

[quote name='Foreleft' timestamp='1439642302' post='12141848']
[quote name='square' timestamp='1439609469' post='12140782']
[/quote]

[/quote]

The i20, s55 and i25 had finish issues. Ping reportedly changed the finish on the i-e irons, so if there is any issue, it would be with Ping.

edited for typo
[/quote]

I know about Ping's recent history of substandard finishes. I just was not clear on whether your "here we go again with finish issues"? comment was directed towards Ping or the consumers who complain about it.

Yonex ezone 380 10* Rexis M-1 shaft
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 15.5* Miyazaki
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 20.5* Miyazaki
Ping S56 4-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
KZG 100% milled center shaft putter

[quote name='And321' timestamp='1439600236' post='12139950']

[/quote]

I get these on my s55 and they usually come right off.

I change too much to list it. Working on that...

[quote name='RobDMB' timestamp='1439820246' post='12153972']Has anyone specified a swing weight higher than D1 for their irons?[/quote]

I just ordered mine 1/4" long and PX 6.0 at D3 and my fitter had zero issues. I wanted to make them exactly like my s55 irons. I hit them so well. These should be exactly the same and we will see what wins out. I'm guessing the little added forgiveness will win out in the i's.

I change too much to list it. Working on that...

Ok . I might order them really soon. How the finish is holding up? And can anyone post a picture of the gap wedge. I really like my j15 cb but the shaft are a touch too much for me...

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag