2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

A sign of the times for Nike?

AzPGAPro

There was a time when I thought Nike had the "look and feel" right.

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-17%20at%2012.21.15%20PM.png

Ha! I remember swinging a slingshot iron and air whistled through that sling and drove me nuts! Put it right back down. No thanks, I'm good Nike. But their original Pro Combo Forged and those blue forged drivers were great clubs, right out of the gate.

I think they could have built a good player boutique brand on the back of tiger and those first blades. Crap like the sling shots devalued the quality stuff like the blades and dragged the whole brand down to a non serious junk brand.

So Callaway is devalued because of big Bertha irons? Not sure I buy that logic. I think it's a lot of things mostly a money thing. You can't jump in a market and sell a product for the same price or more than an established company already in that market based on just your name. Jmo

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='eldog-in-the-hizouse' timestamp='1434481551' post='11763402']
Nike has some quality clubs, but I have heard time and again how the green grass sales reps continue to mainly push clothing and accessories rather than clubs. The clubs where I play barely stock any Nike clubs. Love him or hate him, I think the Tiger factor is very real as well. I'm not sure any company is just killing it right now though, Titleist just held a private fitting demo day at my club and only two people signed up... The industry is probably going to lose an oem or two eventually and I think they all need to forecast fewer sales.
[/quote]
The owner of the shop where I buy most of my golf equipment told me he simply couldn't afford to carry Nike equipment because Nike wanted him to carry far more soft goods than he could ever sell.

[quote name='venturagolfer87' timestamp='1434563787' post='11770038']
[quote name='Judge Smails' timestamp='1434549317' post='11768364']
I'm glad to see they went back to black woods with the new line, but the Engage wedge?? I mean c'mon. I don't care how good it is.
[/quote]

Legit question, how often in a round do you hit the ball with the back of a wedge? Because, if you've never actually stood over an Engage wedge at address, I think you would care how great it is.

But seriously, why do all these traditionalists care about what the back of the club looks like? YA'LL USE IRON HEADCOVERS AND YOU KNOW IT!
[/quote]

I'm glad to see they went back to black woods with the new line, but the Engage wedge?? I mean c'mon. I don't care how good it is.
[/quote]

Legit question, how often in a round do you hit the ball with the back of a wedge? Because, if you've never actually stood over an Engage wedge at address, I think you would care how great it is.

But seriously, why do all these traditionalists care about what the back of the club looks like? YA'LL USE IRON HEADCOVERS AND YOU KNOW IT!
[/quote]

[quote name='venturagolfer87' timestamp='1434566753' post='11770386']
[quote name='DevilDog' timestamp='1434566539' post='11770358']Again, the volt scheme probably works well with college age people and up to mid 20s but past that not too much.[/quote]

I think that's why Nike is smart in what they're doing. Let all the older people complain about how loud the music is and how long everyone's hair is getting. The young college age kids are gonna be the ones playing the game for the next 30-40 years. If they're appealing to them now, maybe they won't have the predetermined bias that some on here have. Now turn down that stereo!
[/quote]

[quote name='CROUSE99' timestamp='1434583938' post='11772300'][quote name='eldog-in-the-hizouse' timestamp='1434481551' post='11763402']
Nike has some quality clubs, but I have heard time and again how the green grass sales reps continue to mainly push clothing and accessories rather than clubs. The clubs where I play barely stock any Nike clubs. Love him or hate him, I think the Tiger factor is very real as well. I'm not sure any company is just killing it right now though, Titleist just held a private fitting demo day at my club and only two people signed up... The industry is probably going to lose an oem or two eventually and I think they all need to forecast fewer sales.
[/quote]
The owner of the shop where I buy most of my golf equipment told me he simply couldn't afford to carry Nike equipment because Nike wanted him to carry far more soft goods than he could ever sell.[/quote]

Yes $250 for a pair of shoes and $70 for a shirt is ridiculous. Some will pay that but not many.

[quote name='Buckeye lefty' timestamp='1434584187' post='11772322']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[quote name='venturagolfer87' timestamp='1434566753' post='11770386']
[quote name='DevilDog' timestamp='1434566539' post='11770358']Again, the volt scheme probably works well with college age people and up to mid 20s but past that not too much.[/quote]

I think that's why Nike is smart in what they're doing. Let all the older people complain about how loud the music is and how long everyone's hair is getting. The young college age kids are gonna be the ones playing the game for the next 30-40 years. If they're appealing to them now, maybe they won't have the predetermined bias that some on here have. Now turn down that stereo!
[/quote]
[/quote]really man?? Just stop..Nike is a joke..the only people defending them are people that bought their stuff..it's below par equipment and a joke to look at..I get that it's hard to admit that you may have made a mistake buying their equipment but let it go. Rory, Tiger, Nick and the rest were better players with the other brands they were playing..even Phil to a certain extent

Tiger switched in what, 03/04? So thats 6 of his 14 majors with Nike clubs? And Rory just got back to #1 and had a career year last year with Nike sticks, so clearly not sub par for them. For what it's worth I just bought an engage wedge to try, first Nike club, but a lot of the guys my age that I play golf with (25) are going for Nike clubs because it's a brand they grew up with and they like the look/tech. They tech is maxed out at this point anyway, so its really down to looks/marketing. If it's not your taste thats fine, and we all respect that. Doesn't make their stuff below par, and the company is far from a joke.

Edit for this article after Rory won the Open last year: http://espn.go.com/golf/theopen14/story/_/id/11248878/for-nike-rory-mcilroy-open-championship-win-not-clubs-golf

There was a time when I thought Nike had the "look and feel" right.

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-17%20at%2012.21.15%20PM.png

Ha! I remember swinging a slingshot iron and air whistled through that sling and drove me nuts! Put it right back down. No thanks, I'm good Nike. But their original Pro Combo Forged and those blue forged drivers were great clubs, right out of the gate.

I rememer trying those when I first started golfing. Felt soooo buttery, but yeah the train whistle feature wasn't helping. Especially when I was trying to work on my swing and get that "whoosh to sound after the ball," but in fact, it would just whoosh all the way through.

Exact same experience here. I called it the "swoosh" sound. :)

Only clubs I was ever glad that an airline lost.

However, the point still stands. Outside of the stupid Slingshot Train Whistle, the visual aesthetic was great. I understand that they are going after kids in the sense that they are more apt to buy something a little flashy... but what they don't get at Nike (and Cobra to some extent) is that they need to get repeat business. When it's time to get the second set of clubs, that's when people don't want highlighter colors anymore.

Nike needs a "flashy" Nike and a "serious" Nike. Imagine if Nike had a line of clubs that looked like Titleist sticks, but also offered its GIs a bit more like it currently is. Would you take Nike seriously? Sure. I want something to graduate UP to. I want something to aspire towards. Something that belongs. I think their Vapor irons are the best looking since the older Slingshots. I know I'd look for less neon yellow, but maybe I'd clean and paint them. That's me though.

The real problem is the nasty woods. If you're going to come out with a bright as hell construction zone color scheme as they did, you darn well better perform. On a certain spy site, they are the most accurate, for sure. However, they're the shortest of all OEMs. I'll be honest... if a G30LST had that paint job, I'd buy it. I wouldn't think twice. I require performance, and that's that. However, these sticks do not perform for the masses. They have had quality issues in the past, and now, they just aren't putting the balls out there far enough. Tall poppy syndrome. If you're going to stand out, you better back it up.

So, once you see that the woods aren't going to work, the odds that you'll say, "I'll take the irons anyhow" goes way down. On the flip, if they made average woods that were more understated, they get a lot more buyers.

Nike's game is uphill from here, but the way do this if I'm Nike is very, very simple.

#1 - Tone down the woods so they have no more highlighting sq mm than the irons. Black crown, no logo, simple rectile for 2016.

#2 - Like Ping did, offer two shaft styles in their woods. And zero highlighter on either the grip or shaft. I should never see highlighter unless it's in the bag.

#3 - Leather head covers. Not just any; design something that looks classy. Maybe get Seamus to partner with them; "order a tour shaft, and we'll let you order one of 11 Seamus tartan Nike covers for shipping costs". Or just ship with them. Whatever. Rory fans would faint.

#4 - Stop talking distance. Get your marketing people to own accuracy, low driver spin, etc.

#5 - Your driver is hollow. How in the world are you not letting people adjust weights along the inner tracks? Could be sooooooo cool. Could dial up some very specific weighting and bias.

And that's it. The irons are a commodity. The putters... same thing. High-margin commodity. The RZN Blacks are pretty good. The wedges are different enough to not be Vokeys, and that's all you can ask for. But really, sell a driver, sell the matching iron set. At $400 retail, there's a lot of possibility in a break-even driver and selling the crap out of that equipment. Right now, Nike is still the first brand, and that strategy worked. The problem is that they don't stay THE brand at the time of second purchase.

Good luck, Nike. If you want my LinkedIn, msg me.

Who's to say how long they're gonna stick with Volt? Personally, I love it. But, that color was my absolute favorite color growing up, and when I started to see it more and more in golf, I was not against it at all. But that being said, I would not be surprised at all if, after a couple seasons, they switch over to another color scheme. Volt has been one of Nike's biggest selling/most notable colorway designs for their company as a whole, in other non-golf products, and it didn't take long for other companies to follow suit and start adding it in their clothes. I'd be willing to bet that Nike's logic was to include golf products, both apparel and hardgoods, to feature that "signature" colorway or whatever, and it would sell more clubs, as well as provide a very clear indicator of what kind of club a pro golfer was using on TV on their follow-through. Maybe they'll ride it out as much as they can, and then in four years when neon tangerine or lightning blue is the new Volt (remember this post, people), there's a chance they'll come out with clubs that'll have those colors in the swoosh. Maybe they'll not put as much of it on their clubs after seeing whatever feedback they get, but with the younger generation already being used to/being fans of these more electric and bright colors and styles, maybe they'll want their second set of clubs to be as flashy/edgy/hip as their first set, with hopefully the same, or improved performance. Just like older generations grew up in the more subtle, conservative era of the game, they're naturally going to be used to it and grow a bias towards it. Sidenote though, I really really don't get the outrage over the volt on the irons. It's literally a half inch long checkmark. On the back of your club.

WITB 2023
- Srixon Zx5 mkII 10.5*, Tensei AV Blue 55s
-TSi2 16.5* Accra FX 2.0
-TSi2 18* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-TSi2 21* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-ZX7 5-PW, Fuji Pro 85
-50/54/58 Cleveland Zipcore TR, Fuji Pro 95 TS
-Sik Pro-C
-2023 Z-Star Diamond

[quote name='Buckeye lefty' timestamp='1434584555' post='11772362']
really man?? Just stop..Nike is a joke..the only people defending them are people that bought their stuff..it's below par equipment and a joke to look at..I get that it's hard to admit that you may have made a mistake buying their equipment but let it go. Rory, Tiger, Nick and the rest were better players with the other brands they were playing..even Phil to a certain extent
[/quote]

I'm not a Nike, or any brand for that matter, loyalist/apologist/elitist/"traditionalist" as some prefer to be referred to as. The Engage wedge I currently use is the ONLY Nike club in my bag. I have a cobra driver, Adams and Callaway hybrids, a TM fairway wood, Mizuno irons, and a Rife Putter. And I play Innovex golf balls! And I've played clubs made by lots of manufacturers (Nike included) that were absolutely terrible. I made a mistake in buying their equipment? Why, because my handicap is going down from the increased amount of up-and-downs I'm making?

WITB 2023
- Srixon Zx5 mkII 10.5*, Tensei AV Blue 55s
-TSi2 16.5* Accra FX 2.0
-TSi2 18* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-TSi2 21* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-ZX7 5-PW, Fuji Pro 85
-50/54/58 Cleveland Zipcore TR, Fuji Pro 95 TS
-Sik Pro-C
-2023 Z-Star Diamond

They got some nice blades. Which brings me to the idea that Nike should stop tackling the mass, and maybe just make boutique clubs. They're oven stuff looks great. Make Nike the american Miura?

Just a thought. Never good to hear people getting laid off.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

[quote name='Kingcat990' timestamp='1434588287' post='11772718']They got some nice blades. Which brings me to the idea that Nike should stop tackling the mass, and maybe just make boutique clubs. They're oven stuff looks great. Make Nike the american Miura?

Just a thought. Never good to hear people getting laid off.[/quote]

Quality takes a back seat to cost nowadays. They won't stop production in China anytime soon. If they did what you suggest a set of clubs would cost over $2k or more.

[quote name='JWells' timestamp='1434479491' post='11763088']
I think they sell a lot of irons and drivers, but their milled putters have to be collecting dust
[/quote]

I don't, in fact I don't play with anyone with a single Nike club in their bag.

They are a marketing company who makes mediocre clubs with neon colors & with Tiger stinking the joint up the past few years their sales are awful.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

[quote name='pheenomz4774' timestamp='1434544430' post='11767916']
[quote name='pegleg' timestamp='1434537596' post='11767548']
It's heartening to see that, although they had to lay off 40 sales reps, their CEO still managed to make $14.7 million last year.

[u][b]THAT[/b][/u] is your sign of the times.
[/quote]

And how is that different from every big company in the history of the world ever?
[/quote]

"The history"? When I first started working, my first boss once told me that one of the first rules of business is that the boss gets paid [b][i]last[/i][/b]. Why? Because the boss isn't generally the one in the trenches doing that actual hard work. Because the boss needs the workers to run - and to improve - the business. Most importantly, because the boss is ultimately responsible for the success or failure of the business - largely by leadership or lack thereof - so should prosper only when the business does, and take the hit when his/her leadership is not paying off. (And, when his/her income is 300x that of the drones, letting them keep their jobs, perhaps content to make 100x what they do...)

This is not the long history of business - but the modern history - the era of the professional CEO. Many of the people running companies today have no experience or interest in their company's field. They therefore care only about their compensation and what they can milk it for, rather than the well-being of the company and its people. And, of course, it's customers, who suffer under this paradigm as well.

[quote name='martinbns' timestamp='1434576918' post='11771584']
[quote name='pegleg' timestamp='1434537596' post='11767548']
It's heartening to see that, although they had to lay off 40 sales reps, their CEO still managed to make $14.7 million last year.

[u][b]THAT[/b][/u] is your sign of the times.
[/quote]

Well in fairness to the CEO, golf is a tiny part of Nike's business and the rest of it did very well.
[/quote]

Of course - they certainly couldn't pay him that salary off their club sales.

Nevertheless - the points still stand: he probably makes around 300x what a sales rep does, meaning they could have kept their jobs and he would have still taken home over $10mil.

Moreover, [b]you won't sell more golf clubs by laying off your sales reps[/b]. I'm sure we all know how good/liked sales reps can influence stores into "suggesting" certain brands, giving them prime space, etc.
BY ALL MEANS - weed out your bad reps; but replace them instead of laying off (ie, terminate positions).

If the economy at large and the golf world in specific are going to improve, we need more people with jobs, not fewer.

As for their color schemes, I find it amazing that people claim they wouldn't buy Vapor irons because of one small Volt swoosh on the back of the club. Come on.

The Vapor drivers are pretty darn good - the Vapor Speed is one of the best drivers I've hit this year. The Engage wedges are nice, as are their better putters. I'm not sold on the irons, as I'm not crazy about the look at address.

They do need to push their identification with younger pros; Tiger is almost 40, which I believe is [b]well[/b] above their target market. Rory is huge, of course.

[quote name='kmac02576' timestamp='1434534822' post='11767462']
[quote name='mdb0103' timestamp='1434516510' post='11766990']
[quote name='venturagolfer87' timestamp='1434481790' post='11763438']
[quote name='Titleist-Golfer' timestamp='1434480970' post='11763310']
Tiger blowing up and Rory missing cuts doesn't help.

Their equipment is getting better all the time, but the above combined with crazy marketing driven designs, steered toward grabbing headlines --- those awful looking wedges and paint schemes ... Ugh! That doesn't help.
[/quote]

Have you even tried those "awful looking wedges"? Because they perform pretty brilliantly and are better than any Vokey wedge I've ever tried, and I've gamed or at least tried every incarnation of the Vokey Spin Milled wedge since they came out. I think Nike is trying to attract people with its looks, so that their interest will be piqued and they'll try it and see the great performance. The problem is most golfers seem to be WAYYY too concerned with looks rather than performance, and how a set of irons "looks in the bag." Dunno how much that prettiness helps with the number on the scorecard, but I'd be willing to bet my awful looking Engage Toe Sweep helps just a bit more.
[/quote]

That was his point... like it or not some people buy clubs on the way that they look. If you won't visually like the clubs you're looking down at, then it becomes a mental thing. I personally don't like the way the engage wedge looks either. Just like I would never play a white or red driver head even if it gave me 5-10 more yards.

And I'm not bashing Nike either, because prior to the clubs I have now, I gamed an entirely Nike bag. But, all of the crowns of my clubs were black (VR Pro LE), and the irons were a traditional blade (VR Pro).
[/quote]

This is what I'm talking about. You would honestly sacrifice 10 yards on your drives because of the color of you driver? Bit of a paradox there. If you're getting 10 extra yards, then the color of the crown obviously wouldn't have affected you.
[/quote]

Yes, I would sacrifice those 10 yards. I would do the same if the crown was white, orange, blue or red also.

[quote name='mdb0103' timestamp='1434599626' post='11773938'][quote name='kmac02576' timestamp='1434534822' post='11767462']

Their equipment is getting better all the time, but the above combined with crazy marketing driven designs, steered toward grabbing headlines --- those awful looking wedges and paint schemes ... Ugh! That doesn't help.
[/quote]

Have you even tried those "awful looking wedges"? Because they perform pretty brilliantly and are better than any Vokey wedge I've ever tried, and I've gamed or at least tried every incarnation of the Vokey Spin Milled wedge since they came out. I think Nike is trying to attract people with its looks, so that their interest will be piqued and they'll try it and see the great performance. The problem is most golfers seem to be WAYYY too concerned with looks rather than performance, and how a set of irons "looks in the bag." Dunno how much that prettiness helps with the number on the scorecard, but I'd be willing to bet my awful looking Engage Toe Sweep helps just a bit more.
[/quote]

That was his point... like it or not some people buy clubs on the way that they look. If you won't visually like the clubs you're looking down at, then it becomes a mental thing. I personally don't like the way the engage wedge looks either. Just like I would never play a white or red driver head even if it gave me 5-10 more yards.

And I'm not bashing Nike either, because prior to the clubs I have now, I gamed an entirely Nike bag. But, all of the crowns of my clubs were black (VR Pro LE), and the irons were a traditional blade (VR Pro).
[/quote]

This is what I'm talking about. You would honestly sacrifice 10 yards on your drives because of the color of you driver? Bit of a paradox there. If you're getting 10 extra yards, then the color of the crown obviously wouldn't have affected you.
[/quote]

Yes, I would sacrifice those 10 yards. I would do the same if the crown was white, orange, blue or red also.[/quote]

There's an irrational pet peeves thread

[quote name='kmac02576' timestamp='1434571851' post='11770994'][quote name='venturagolfer87' timestamp='1434563787' post='11770038']
[/quote]

[/quote]

More importantly, when you hit your driver, how often are you looking at the sole of your club?

Also, when you hit a ball, are you looking at the ball or the club? Because if you are making contact with the ball whe you swing your club, my guess is your looking at the ball. So when you hit the ball, does the appearance of the crown mean anything at all?

If it does, your doing things wrong and/or are mentally weak.[/quote]

So now if you aren't a Nike player your mentally weak. Lol. Who is weaker. The person who says " I don't like this and here's why " or the guy who has to hurl personal insults to appear the alpha ? Hmmm

I pick up and look at a Nike club every time I go into a store that has them. I simply can't get past the looks. Speaking specifically to their woods and hybrids. Vr blades and wedges I could play in a second. But the flashy " volt" crap is just strange. I happen to like the color personally. But keep it on the sole. Why can't the crown be clean like most other clubs. Sure some TM crap is busy up top. Ala r1 etc. I'll tell you it's ugly too. So no discrimination here. Just stating why i can't buy Nike.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I believe as stated above that Nike is targeting the younger crowd and I have seen quite a lot of the younger tour pros in head to toe Nike. The pros they sign are supplied with everything they need from equipment to clothing to accessories and are not permitted to have other logos (one on the bag is allowed) those players stand out. You see a Nike player because they are head to toe with no distractions and it looks sharp. I see players with a mish mash of brands and it makes me wonder if they are paid to play the stuff or if they are just using what ever they can get their hands on. At the pro level Nike takes care of its guys, it looks good and I find it appealing that they are not afraid to try something different.

[quote name='mdb0103' timestamp='1434599626' post='11773938']
[quote name='kmac02576' timestamp='1434534822' post='11767462']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, I would sacrifice those 10 yards. I would do the same if the crown was white, orange, blue or red also.
[/quote]

There's no rational way to explain this fallacy. You say a different colored crown would affect your weak mental state even if your performance is improved. If your performance is improved, then how does the color really have a mental affect on you?

IMO Nike would move alot more clubs if they would just accept a more classic design for their golf clubs and dump those "hey look at me colors".

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

[quote name='nova6868' timestamp='1434572571' post='11771086']
You know, it is possible to just not really like the design of the club without being mentally weak.

If someone potentially putts better with a gigantic mallet, but they really just aesthetically enjoy a blade putter more, are they also mentally weak? I mean this is a game played for enjoyment after all.

I guess this is really a moot point anyway, because the fact is that Nike's numbers are down. So whatever they are doing isn't working like they expected.
[/quote]

I agree that the game is played for enjoyment. I also find that golfers enjoy making putts quite a bit more than missing them. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1434603062' post='11774146']
[quote name='kmac02576' timestamp='1434571851' post='11770994'][quote name='venturagolfer87' timestamp='1434563787' post='11770038']
[/quote]

[/quote]

More importantly, when you hit your driver, how often are you looking at the sole of your club?

Also, when you hit a ball, are you looking at the ball or the club? Because if you are making contact with the ball whe you swing your club, my guess is your looking at the ball. So when you hit the ball, does the appearance of the crown mean anything at all?

If it does, your doing things wrong and/or are mentally weak.[/quote]

So now if you aren't a Nike player your mentally weak. Lol. Who is weaker. The person who says " I don't like this and here's why " or the guy who has to hurl personal insults to appear the alpha ? Hmmm

I pick up and look at a Nike club every time I go into a store that has them. I simply can't get past the looks. Speaking specifically to their woods and hybrids. Vr blades and wedges I could play in a second. But the flashy " volt" crap is just strange. I happen to like the color personally. But keep it on the sole. Why can't the crown be clean like most other clubs. Sure some TM crap is busy up top. Ala r1 etc. I'll tell you it's ugly too. So no discrimination here. Just stating why i can't buy Nike.
[/quote]

I don't own a single Nike club nor do I claim to be anything more than an average golfer. I simply stated that golfers do not see the sole of the driver when hitting a ball, and when they swing, they keep their eye on the ball, not the club.

And is the inability to get past the looks would appear to be a mental issue. That's not an insult. Just a logical conclusion.

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1434543413' post='11767814']
Looks should not be the only thought with a club purchase for sure . But would it kill them to leave all the swooshes on the soles of their woods ? I could live with the red or the green ... But the off center rear swoosh is an eye catcher
[/quote]

It's really not an "eye catcher" at all. And I am OCD as f#ck

Caddying for my son is the greatest thing in the world.

[quote name='nova6868' timestamp='1434572571' post='11771086']You know, it is possible to just not really like the design of the club without being mentally weak.

If someone potentially putts better with a gigantic mallet, but they really just aesthetically enjoy a blade putter more, are they also mentally weak? I mean this is a game played for enjoyment after all.

I guess this is really a moot point anyway, because the fact is that Nike's numbers are down. So whatever they are doing isn't working like they expected.[/quote]

I suppose Adam Scott is the epitome of mentally weak with that huge broomstick. Yea

[quote name='gioguy21' timestamp='1434480491' post='11763250']
[quote name='SHIVAN' timestamp='1434480294' post='11763218']
[quote name='gioguy21' timestamp='1434477282' post='11762838']
i know that ping has the market share for drivers thanks to the G30...[/quote]

I had always figured TMAG held the top number of drivers old with the SLDR, R15, & Aeroburner trio.
[/quote]

they did...till g30 lst came out. even ppl who owned the g30 went back out and bought another one. i had a few long talks with the local ping rep (see him often at demo days) and he has, on any given demo day - a minimum of 10 g30 orders. minimum...
[/quote]
sounds to me that you've been sold to by the sales man...

Driver: Callaway GBB Speeder Evo 2 665 X flex
Fairway: Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Irons: Apex Pro 3-PW
Wedges: Mack Daddy 2 50/54, TMag TP EF grind 60
Putter: Odyssey Protype #2 Black