2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Chrome soft truvis

youngunz5840

[quote name='C Bird' timestamp='1437678759' post='12007346']
Found one on the course the other day and played it for the remainder of the round. One thing I liked is that I never had trouble finding it!
[/quote]

Obviously the original owner did!

Just bought a dozen of these today. Planning on bringing them on a trip to Orlando next month.

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1437710041' post='12010348']
Seems like a pretty simple DIY project with a little practice. And on your prefered ball too.
[/quote]

You're right...sounds like it would be an easy thing for Tin Cup to come out with a template that matches this pattern.

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1437710041' post='12010348']Seems like a pretty simple DIY project with a little practice. And on your prefered ball too.

In pullfades pic above there really is the ilusion the ball is larger. Not sure how id play with it but it is Interesting , thanks for the reviews/pics guys. [/quote]

I can see someone coming out with a ball stencil just for this

Played two rounds with them. I have to say I do like them. Do they make any big difference??? Nah. But the funny thing is I only brought out a sleeve and after giving one away and losing two I didn't really like going back to a plain ball. Alternate shot and scramble.....best ball tomorrow so that will give me a full round with them. Will report back.

Fwiw I love the chromesoft ball....wether or not the Truvis stays will not knock this ball out of the bag,

I played two balls over nine hole CS and CST. Put me in the "not a fan" club for this ball.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

[quote name='ubergoober' timestamp='1437877874' post='12020270']
If the Truvis tech is supposed to make the ball look larger, will it not in turn, make the clubface look smaller? :swoon:
[/quote]
Wish I didn't read this before teeing it up this morning! I might need to switch to G series irons to match the ball.....think that seemore giant putter is also in order.....maybe that is why the great BIG Bertha is being released???

I bought some of this balls a couple of days ago just for the fun of it and because my sons play soccer and we have all become soccer fans (EPL, MLS, National team, we like it all). I played yesterday and shot two 73s in a row which are tied for my lowest rounds ever. So, I dont know what that means but I hit the ball very well and I putted super. My first round I had two bogeys and one birdie... My second round I really putted well and made 5 birdies but I had a few more bad shots but I think that was bc I was getting tired... 36 holes in Carolina heat can wear you out. I guess I am a believer in this ball and its pattern. You can really tell when you make a good putt by the pattern on the ball and I really do think it makes you focus more when you hit the ball as well with every club. I will buy these up especially when they go on clearance which I think they will because people will not give them a chance

Played my first 18 with these today. The pattern didn't really seem to have any influence with the driver, but it certainly made the ball "appear" larger on the fairway, and "appear" to sit up in the rough. It took me a few holes to get used to the pattern with the putter though. The pentagons are "whited out" wherever they overlap the side-stamp, but I still found it difficult to line it up properly, as I always use the side-stamp for this.

Other than putting, my biggest adjustment to these was not the TruVis pattern, but the ball itself. My usual ball is either ProV1X or Tour Preferred X. This ball definitely feels softer on driver and irons, but that wasn't a bad thing. Seemed to spin a bit less off the driver with my +/- 100mph SS, and was about the same distance wise, maybe 5-8 yds longer? Felt great off the long/mid irons, seemed to spin a touch less, and was about 1/2 to a full club longer. Short irons and pitches/chips, it really felt softer, like it was staying on the face longer. That is not a bad thing for me, however they did seem to roll out a bit more than ProV1X or TPX, and that will take some getting used to.

This was the weird part for me, for as soft as they felt off of everything else, they really seemed to "spring" of the putter face. They weren't clicky or hard (in fact make less click than the other 2 balls I normally play), but I just really struggled with distance control. I was either blowing everything way by, or when trying to adjust leaving them 4-5 feet short. Now in all fairness, we were first off this morning so I didn't get any time to practice putt prior to teeing off. This is the part that will take some practice with to determine if the Chrome Soft is for me, that and getting used to lining them up with the TruVis pattern. I realize this is more a commentary on the ball itself and not the pattern, but find them interesting to say the least. I actually kind of like the pattern on them (other than with putter), and if I can get in some chipping/putting work with them to figure out distance control I might start playing these regularly.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Latest update. I had a Ryder cup style tourney this weekend. Three clubs against each other. I was in the gross groups and got some strange looks playing these. One guy thought I painted them. Soccer ball comments obviously came out.

Regardless of commentary or opinion, over a weekend I found I really liked these balls. I wouldn't say they made any huge difference but found I personally preferred them over plain white. I did enjoy seeing the end over end roll of the ball heading to the cup. Out of the rough or fairway they may look slightly larger giving some confidence. Maybe focusing on the ball is easier with these?

All personal preference. I do not in any way believe these will dramatically change your game, but I have three dozen and will be keeping them in my bag.

[quote name='doubleagle2' timestamp='1437501649' post='11993314']
I thought it was a gimmick still may be but put one in play Sunday hit the ball better than I had in a while. I was stuck in the mid to upper 80's shot 77 on Sunday after a 85 Saturday snd 88 Friday. Just one round so I will wait and see.
[/quote]
After playing the ball again this weekend I am not sold. It is hard to see when it sits down in the rough. I shot 42 on the front 9 which is OK nothing special switch to a yellow chrome soft shot 35 on the back 9 normally the tougher 9. There may be some visual value but I am going to stick with yellow and white balls.

[quote name='doubleagle2' timestamp='1437861483' post='12019164']
[quote name='Akh223' timestamp='1437860697' post='12019120']
I wonder why Callaway didnt do this to the supersoft. Wouldnt this be right at home on a ball marketed towards people who need more help with the game?
[/quote]
I bet if they sell they will
[/quote]

I asked and was told they have no plans to offer it on another ball besides the CS. Like you said, maybe strong sales will change their mind.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

These were sold out at PGA SS last Saturday. I picked up a dozen the prior week. They're pretty cool, though a bit harder to see, so I'll stick with the yellow ones.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

Ok here is my one round review.(If you can consider playing in a scramble a round) I have been playing the chrome soft for awhile and I love that ball but I like the tech behind the increased focus. Distance feel and sound are all the same but the strangest thing I do think there is something to this design. I made much better contact on shots from 100 yards in and I think it may be the ball. I have played very little this summer and practiced even less and those shots have always been a problem. My most common errors are thin or fat shots and I did not have one of those the whole day, I even hit the pin on a shot from 74 yards from a downhill lie. I can't wait to get out there again to play a whole round with the ball, chipping is another issue for me and I think this might help with that. I will post more after that round.

Ping 410 Lst 9 w/ Black Rdx smoke 6.0

Cally Sub Zero 15 with Fuji Xlr8 Pro 73 TS
Cally Big Bertha Alpa 816 5wd 18 Aldila Rogue 70 R
Cally Epic Tour issue 4 Hybrid w/KBS Proto 65s
Cally X-Tour (1st gen) w XP/95 R-300 5-pw
Cally Pm19 54/58 w/KBS Hi Rev 115
Taylor Spider Tour black with white T

Picked a dozen of these up on Sunday night at Golfsmith and put them in play last night. I took a bit of (expected) heat from playing my partners here in football country, but I am a huge fan. Easier to see and easier to pick out exactly where on the ball I wanted to strike it. Now I just need to find a template to make it easier to mark up all those boring white balls I have laying around . . .

Rogue Black Tie 8M3 sg
Rogue 15* Evenflow Blue 75 6.0
XR Pro 4-AW RIP Tour SLT 115 Silver
MD Forged 52/58
Odyssey ProType iX 9HT

The one thing about drawing all this ink on your golf balls is that it doesnt stay very long before wearing off, maybe a few holes and you will already see it wearing off, and then also with that much ink it will start making marks on your clubs. I know its minor stuff, but i would hate to clean my clubs that much and remark my ball.

I have been playing these since they dropped, and love them. I play a ton of twilight golf, and can track these balls even in the greyest of skies. Im not sure about that "larger" appearance stuff, but I liked the CS and am not turned off by the CST version.

I felt really good about that shot....
Until I hit it.

well...i couldnt take it anymore, so bought a dozen before my round, lol...
driver: no influence
putter: no influence
everything else: this ball draws your focus, looks bigger, looks like it's sitting up better, and i did hit it pretty darn good...it is harder to spot, even in the fairway, but i did find every ball that wasnt deep in the brush, lol... when i switched back to yellow, i found i preferred it for visibility, and my focus was similar enough to stay w/ yellow...that leaves me with 11 cs truvis, a dozen e6, and a bunch of other balls i have experimented with...
if i could, i would tee off w/ the yellow, and hit the truvis the rest of the hole...