2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Other sports

Surrounded by fitness freaks at work, getting bored of hearing about their triathlons, runs, cycling exploits when I myself am at the peak of physical fatness.

One recent conversation involved discussion about an event one of them was doing at the weekend, a triathlon including a twenty-six mile run after some crazy long swim and a huge ball-chaffing cycle, which is apparently called the ironman marathon.

I made sure I let out an audible gasp followed by "What? All three films?!"

Not sure if they got it or not, but I was giggling into my coffee for the next twenty minutes.

And if anyone accuses golf of being boring to watch, suggest they try cycling. It is only really lifted by the odd crash and the French of whom a large proportion are as mad as a bag of hamsters, and the majority of these like to go and watch the cycling, maybe dressed as the devil, maybe waving a huge novelty hyperdermic needle, maybe showering the English riders in what I would assume is their own urine. A sport has got to be pretty dull if you are reduced to this.

Fancy dress for sport is fine, as is the odd bit of witty banter thrown into the mix, both of which cricket enjoys, and any game which last five days and can end in a draw needs help. A particular favourite of mine was the comment from one of the Australian crowd to Phil Tufnell whilst he was in the field. Phil is not the sharpest tool in the shed and the friendly Aussie shouted, "Can I borrow your brain; we're building an idiot".

And the notorious sledging, the nasty things said between players during a game of cricket, an otherwise gentlemanly pursuit. Probably the most famous was a retort from the Australian bowler Merv Hughes when one of the opposition asked him why he was so fat. He replied, "Because every time I **** your wife, she gives me a biscuit".

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonny,
dont knock it till you try it. To this day the most exhilarating experience of my life has been riding down a swish back at break neck speeds with barely inches between riders. 125 miles a day in the saddle will certainly show what kind of physical and mental condition one is in.
Did short course triathlons, the Ironman length ones were, well, just too long for me.
Anyway, that was 30 years and 30 pounds ago. And I struggle now carrying 18 in the heat. What a wimp I've become in my old age.

[quote name='jonnygrouville' timestamp='1438031977' post='12029562']
And if anyone accuses golf of being boring to watch, suggest they try cycling. It is only really lifted by the odd crash and the French of whom a large proportion are as mad as a bag of hamsters, and the majority of these like to go and watch the cycling, maybe dressed as the devil, maybe waving a huge novelty hyperdermic needle, maybe showering the English riders in what I would assume is their own urine. A sport has got to be pretty dull if you are reduced to this.
[/quote]

You know, that's a pretty apt description of the last three weeks worth of La Tour de France! No need to watch four hours worth of live action unless one is more interested in the travelogue aspects of the broadcast. A 45 minute high light package will give you all you need to know and a whole lot less of that incessant homerism displayed by Phil Ligget!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Surrounded by fitness freaks at work, getting bored of hearing about their triathlons, runs, cycling exploits when I myself am at the peak of physical fatness.

One recent conversation involved discussion about an event one of them was doing at the weekend, a triathlon including a twenty-six mile run after some crazy long swim and a huge ball-chaffing cycle, which is apparently called the ironman marathon.

Not sure if they got it or not, but I was giggling into my coffee for the next twenty minutes.

Fancy dress for sport is fine, as is the odd bit of witty banter thrown into the mix, both of which cricket enjoys, and any game which last five days and can end in a draw needs help. A particular favourite of mine was the comment from one of the Australian crowd to Phil Tufnell whilst he was in the field. Phil is not the sharpest tool in the shed and the friendly Aussie shouted, "Can I borrow your brain; we're building an idiot".

And the notorious sledging, the nasty things said between players during a game of cricket, an otherwise gentlemanly pursuit. Probably the most famous was a retort from the Australian bowler Merv Hughes when one of the opposition asked him why he was so fat. He replied, "Because every time I **** your wife, she gives me a biscuit".
[/quote]

Jonny, that is one of the funniest posts I've read in a long time. I am still laughing.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

• 3 weeks later...

And if anyone accuses golf of being boring to watch, suggest they try cycling. It is only really lifted by the odd crash and the French of whom a large proportion are as mad as a bag of hamsters, and the majority of these like to go and watch the cycling, maybe dressed as the devil, maybe waving a huge novelty hyperdermic needle, maybe showering the English riders in what I would assume is their own urine. A sport has got to be pretty dull if you are reduced to this. In fact me and my partners found it so amusing that we took one of the decals and put it on a piece of sheet metal in the shop and labeled under it "banned by NASCAR" it went along with the Derrick Cope Ozzy Osborne hood banned by NASCAR. My decal man had done the graphics on the hoods and he had both of them. Mine was on loan from him and later on much to NASCAR's dismay it was auctioned off at a charity auction to help The Shriner's Hospital for children in Greenville SC. The curator liked my sign too and I gave it to him The hood brought $750 and my little piece brought $50

[/quote]Man I am going to have to remember that last line from Merv Hughes there priceless
Back when I was racing dirt track people were always looking at the cars and in that area their comment was "Who drives it? You ought to let me drive it" I got so tired of that comment from those pinheads I had my decal man make a decal for all the dashes of the cars that said " Don't ask to drive my race car and I will not ask to s***w your wife or daughter" NASCAR did not see the humor and they made us take it off the Goody's Dash cars but they stayed on the dirt cars

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

I'm finding golf increasingly difficult to watch. It's not because the players aren't skilled and capable of pulling off amazing shots. It's because I wonder what they're thinking half the time. I'm coming to the conclusion that golf tournaments aren't necessarily won; they're lost based on some of the decision making that goes on. Yesterday during about a half hour stretch I'm watching guys go from the frying pan into the fire based on the decision making process following an errant shot. I quite literally said to the TV outloud that these guys are operating like amateurs, going from bad to worse to worst! I'm left thinking that it's no wonder success alludes some of these guys despite their prodigious talents.

Maybe it has always been this way. Maybe it's simply a by-product of the bomb-and-gouge mentality. I don't really remember this when I was a kid growing up watching golf, but I wasn't a player back then so I didn't have that perspective shaping my views. Maybe it's just these amusement park/obstacle course style golf courses that lead to this, I don't know.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• 1 month later...

Late to post this, here is a real triathlon. You can do it in what ever order you wish. My wife and I did it in the following order a couple of years ago
18 holes of golf= walking
6 mile mountain bike ride on tight twisty trails up down through the woods
3 games of bowling
I still want to get a group of folks together to do all or some parts of it.

Jimmy B

Gent I used to work with told me of a triathlon in which he regularly participated. This would have been in the 80s. It was called the Pig's Eye Triathlon.

They played golf, tennis, and backgammon, I'm not sure of the proper order.

Managed to somehow get the local newspaper to print the results in the "Scoreboard" portion of the Sports section for a few years, before the folks at the paper fully realized what was going on. :)

Side note for those wondering at the name: The "Pig's Eye" name came from Pierre "Pig's Eye" Parrant, who was the first person of European descent to live within the borders of what would eventually become the city of Saint Paul, Minnesota. The village was briefly known as Pig's Eye before being renamed St Paul, some say by a priest who was not particularly enthralled with the name being used. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I keep hearing that cycling "is the new golf" which, whilst I "do" both I do not understand to be complimentary of either.

My taste in bikes runs in a similar vein to my taste in clubs - so I am not clear whether the saying applies or not. Is my vintage road iron really the new, old hogan blade or does the equivalence only apply in respect of carbon fibre aerodynamically enhanced bleeding edge toys.

Did someone mention bicycles. My mileage bike that I don't seem to put on as many miles as I once did. Trek 7300 Hybrid. New road rubber and a better saddle makes for a more enjoyable ride.

[attachment=2964204:Screen Shot 2015-09-21 at 9.02.00 PM.jpg]

And my newest affliction, retro cruisers. '62 Schwinn Corvette 5-Speed. Picked it up this summer for cruising the neighborhood in style. Fitted a cool retro look Brooks saddle on it. Lots of springs, very old school. Picture makes it look better than it is in the flesh. Needs some overhauling this winter. Possible new rear cassette and derailleur. Maybe get the fenders rechromed. Or take them off all together, paint the frame black, no chain guard, go minimalist. Rides sweet though and I look good doing it. :blind:

[attachment=2964238:Screen Shot 2015-09-21 at 8.52.15 PM.jpg]

No carbon fiber here. All grade A American steel. Chicago built.

More things to waste my $$$ on. I've got some ideas on turning an old mountain bike I still have around into a fixie cruiser. My wife gives me dirty looks when I tell her I'm going out to hit a couple of garage/estate sales.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1442886233' post='12347650']
Did someone mention bicycles.
[/quote]

Apparently! I have what I'll call a cheater vintage road bike in the form of a Masi Especiale which is still in production as a remake of a classic Italian criterium road bike made with Reynolds 520 chromoly tubing and a more current (9 speed) road group from Shimano. I've got it decked out more like a classic French randonneur with fenders, Brooks saddle and a handlebar bag. I don't ride it as much as I once did, but it sure is pretty sitting next to the carbon time trial rigs that are all the rage amongst the triathalon crowd. Ya, they'll leave me standing in their dust, but at least I get to enjoy (and see) where I'm going rather than stare aimlessly at the 3 feet of pavement directly in front of the wheel! I would seem that during the current cycling rage everyone is concerned with going nowhere as fast as they possibly can!

Where did you go? [i]I don't really know for sure as I wasn't leading the paceline, but we sure covered 100 km in great time as it took us less than 2 1/2 hours! [/i] :dntknw:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

True bike story. I have a really nice road bike from the 80s - I bought it second hand, but it had been custom built by a guy in northern Scotland who has built his share of bikes ridden at the very highest level of competition. It's built from good quality, skinny gauge steel tubing, still has the original downtube shifters, and I've topped it out with a sprung brooks leather saddle. In other words, its pretty much as incongruous amongst the average group of somewhat serious cyclists as persimmon and blades are at my golf club.

A year or so ago, I drove up to ride an event with a pal, and the owner of the guest house where we were staying helped us unload the bikes from the car. Mine came out first, and the owner exclaimed "Good god, that's a right old beater you've got there." I looked round into the garage where we'd be storing the bikes and sure enough, there were obviously a few fellow-competitors staying and a fleet of carbon-fibre and aero-wheeled bikes were propped up against the wall.

Now my pal had just recently taken delivery of a very boutique, custom-built bike bought and kitted out (and imported) at great expense. I'm not aware of the set of clubs that could cost as much as this bike - unless you're talking about a set that's been used by one of the legends. This bike though, and I thoroughly approve, had been specced by my friend to be built from nice narrow gauge steel tubes and topped out with a lovely brown brooks leather saddle with big, hand beaten copper rivets I'd bought him for his 40th birthday, and matching leather handlebar tape. It's a thing of beauty, if you know what you're looking at, and as I mentioned, eye-wateringly expensive.

Well, as that bike was gently lifted from the back of the car, the guesthouse owner caught sight of it and exclaimed "And there's another one!"

Happily, my friend is happy to fly under the radar with his expensive bike and thought this was as funny as I did.

LOL B-S, good story. I never had considered the symmetry between old bikes and old golf clubs before. Just figured that because of my advancing age, I've become nostalgic trying to recapture the days of my misspent youth. Or a fool and his money......

A little story that relates to Scomac's and your posts. A month or so ago, was out on the Corvette for a spin. Down the sidewalk. We have this riding club in the area, see them out and about occasionally. I'm cruising along when they start passing me. Heads down, looking at that 3' of pavement out in front of them. Whizzing by on their tech'ed out road bikes. The last one in the pack, when he passes, looks back over his shoulder and gives me a nod of approval. Got the same type of inner satisfaction as when someone at the course recognizes those old school clubs we have in our bags. An appreciation of the form rather than the absolute function sort of thing.

Shortly after acquiring the Schwinn, was out and about checking some garage sales (again!) for golf clubs, etc. Found a vintage Raleigh 10-speed road bike. British racing green, fenders with the ridge down the middle, "Made in England" badging, wonderful detailing where the tubes butted together, racks. It was a thing of beauty. Walked around it a half dozen times. My mind raced. (Un)fortunately, the seller would't budge on the price. And I walked away. The Mrs. may have left me if I had come home with it. Especially after buying the Corvette. She was pretty p****d about that one, considering all the golf club acquisitions taking up space in the basement. Fleeting thoughts of that bike still cross my mind though.

I totally get the Corvette - it looks awesome. Wasn't it modded versions of that sort of bike from which mountain biking grew?

If I had a double garage, it would be full of bikes. As it is, I'm limited to about 5 or 6 with a bit of wheel-swapping going on.

I had my kids at the Glasgow Museum of Transport yesterday. Quite a few Flying Scot bikes on display - absolutely classic bikes from the days when a bike had to do everything. It got you and your stuff to work through the week, and out on leisure trips at the weekend. Room and fittings for mudguards and a rack, but light enough to race. You could go on holiday on it. Very hard to buy a bike like that nowadays - everything is pigeonholed into a narrow niche. Sand bikes, gravel racers, downhill bikes, timetrial, touring. Bring me more chrome!

Thx B-S. The corvette was very much the impulse purchase, all of a sudden it was there, take me home. It's a beastly heavy thing. Really just for riding around in reasonably flat areas. I live about 1/2 mile down a dirt road from town and paved surfaces. Have a big hill that has to be ascended before coasting into town. It's a handful, especially with the Huret derailleur and gears not functioning very well. That's why I'm thinking new, rather than refurb for making the gearing more up to date. But I need to investigate further the adaptability of this first, some of these old bikes seem to have weird sizing issues. The prices for true OEM vintage equipment for these bikes are crazy, stupid expensive. All but one of the reflectors (four) on the rear rack are missing. It would have cost about $50 to buy the replacements!

IIRC, your right about the first mountain bikes. Stripped down cruisers, balloon tired, freewheelers that were meant for going downhill rather than up. Then MB'ers, influenced by some sort of trials thing (can't remember exactly what it was called) going on in Europe, began adding gearing to their rigs. Now, as you mentioned, bikes have morphed into all these niches. And one you didn't mention, that seems to be all the rage with the youngsters around here, Fat Bikes or "Fatties". Those 5" ballon tired ones. I don't quite understand those.

Edit Note: Be careful what you wish for, i.e. double car garage. The amount of stuff one accumulates is dependent upon the amount of space one has to store it all. I have a two car, its filled with bags of golf clubs, bicycles, and other stuff. To the point where I have no idea where its all going so that I can park my vehicle inside before the winter snows arrive. The Mrs. keeps telling me "don't you dare infringe upon my side of the garage".

Here are a couple of links for you, Fella, that may help with restoring the Corvette.

[url="http://sheldonbrown.com/chicago-schwinns.html"]http://sheldonbrown.com/chicago-schwinns.html[/url]

[url="http://sheldonbrown.com/gearing/index.html"]http://sheldonbrown.com/gearing/index.html[/url]

Lots of great articles written by the late Sheldon Brown dedicated to the vintage cyclist! You will have a great winter project there!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

"Fatties"!

Yep - seeing a few of those around here, that's what I had in mind as "sand bikes". There's a somewhat local guy to me makes videos riding up and down the sandy coastline with those big tires allowing him to ride on top of the dunes rather than sinking in. Actually looks good fun - and depending on how well they actually ride, I can see the attraction of great big tyres on a bike rather than multiple pivots and shocks. But I still remember the first time I rode a proper road bike after riding a mountain bike with 2" tyres to work for a year or so. I could not believe how fast that thing felt on a flat road. I can't help but think that the difference between that road bike and a "normal" mountain bike is going to be like the same difference between a mountain bike and a fatty.

Fatties are getting popular for off-road winter riding in these parts. They're great on shared snowmobile/cross-country ski trails.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• 3 months later...