Nike 2016

Mattpgolf15

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming from the other side of the coin on this debate about Nike in retail outlets (I work at a Big Box store in Canada), I can safely say that Nike has made massive leaps and bounds in their golf equipment sales since I first started working there. The Vapor stuff has been selling very, very well. We have sold out 2-3 driver shipments now, and we have no more than about 8 Vapor Speed drivers left. The Pro and Flex are still kind of languishing on the shelves, but they are more expensive up here and the vast majority of our customer population would struggle with those types of clubs to begin with.

We have a full fitting cart/bag, and it has definitely boosted sales. We had a few exotic shafts (Fubuki ZT, whiteboards, Matrix Radix and Velocity, a couple Speeders), but as one poster above mentioned, MOST customers are just interested in the stock offerings. Especially now a days when the companies are putting in 2-300 dollar upcharge shafts in for free. I get the appeal of them, but speaking to the vast majority of the golfing public would probably not benefit from it. Actually, let me amend that, they could benefit from it, but they don't have the cash/don't want to spend the cash on an upcharge.

If Nike really wants to make a huge impact in the equipment market for 2016, they need to do a few changes that I have noticed are problems for them (I've been with the same store for 11 years). Their marketing campaigns (TV/print ads) and branding are on point. The ads are funny, the clothing, shoes, and clubs stand out; in short they have this down.

1) They just need to make themselves more visible as a brand to the consumer. As some have said, you're right, more fitting carts to stores and shops would be a benefit. I have not once seen a Nike fitting day at my store, or it has been so long that I've forgotten. During the summer months (April-August) we have all the major OEMs (Callaway, PING, Taylormade, Mizuno, Cobra, Titleist) are in here probably once a month to do vendor fittings. Sure they cost $50, but again, the price is negated when you buy something. I saw one guy say he hated this business approach. I agree it does leave a sour taste in some people's mouths, but it also weeds out the guys who are going to go to every demo day and waste the fitter's time. So Nike, if you're reading this, big box demo days (especially in Canada) would definitely boost your brand presence and willingness for consumers to try your product. I can only do so much getting it into their hands, but on a busy weekend day I can't always spend that 30-45 minutes of close time with a guy to really get him/her to fall in love with your product.

2) Turn around times and release dates. I'll be blunt, your custom order and repair turn around time stinks. A person shouldn't have to wait 5-6 weeks to get a driver or a whatever repaired in July. That's the whole summer gone. Sure we can give them a demo driver, but sometimes we run out. You are losing customers with this strategy. I suggest finding a way to streamline this process, hire more repair/custom staff. If somebody is in a rush to get something, i.e. they are going on vacation in 2 weeks and want new clubs for their trip, as much as it pains me to do it because you guys make awesome clubs, I direct them somewhere else if they are looking at custom options. I just know that there is no way they are getting their clubs in time. Similarly, it shouldn't take the same amount of time for a custom order either. 7-10 business days is the industry standard to get a set of custom clubs made from any other manufacturer. Why can't you keep up the same? Hell, even smaller brands (and I say smaller here in relation to sales) like Cleveland/Srixon and Wilson, who have much less market share than you guys can do it in that time frame. On the flip side, companies like Taylormade and Callaway that have got to have custom orders out the wazoo can fill an order and have it to us in less than a week. So please, please! Get your custom and repair departments in sync to get customers their clubs in 2.5 weeks or less. Lastly, your launch dates need to be concrete. We waited over a month and a half for the engage wedges. We didn't see them until almost the beginning of June, and had people asking about them in April when they were supposed to be out. You probably lost a few sales there too.

I think if your company could focus on getting these 2-3 aspects in line for 2016, the golf section of your business would grow so much more quickly. The equipment is already awesome, your bags are amazing, the clothing and shoes are fresh looking and vibrant. You just need to get your actual equipment line streamlined and out there and available to see bigger gains.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

Phatchrisrules- you are so on point with these comments. It took an incredible amount of patience and effort to get my bag full of Nike clubs in hand. As Nike continues to grow and take steps forward in the market, the 'customer service' pieces of their business needs to improve. At the end of the day, I'm pumped with my clubs, just wish the process was smoother.

Great post, [color=#282828]Phatchrisrules. I have a couple of comment to make. I know I'm likely in the minority here based on what others have posted, but I ordered a Vapor Pro driver this year and expected it to take weeks. I'd say that it was here in maybe 5 business days. That being said, a guy I play a lot of golf with has had to send his driver back a couple of times in the last year or so and it's been a bit of a nightmare. [/color]

[color=#282828]As for the fitting/custom aspect and getting clubs in peoples hands, I'll gladly pay a fitting fee for a session, BUT, it has to be outdoors. I'm not going to make my purchase decision on an indoor sim if I'm paying $1,000+ for a new set of irons. I'm due for some new irons next year and I've already narrowed it down to Titleist vs. Mizuno as I can get fit on Trackman outdoors at my club. I'll ask our Nike rep to drop a couple of things off to my club for me, but I don't want to wait forever just to get X100s rather than stock unless the product is leaps and bounds better than the competition.[/color]

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei Blue 60 TX
Titleist TS2 15* - D+ LTD 70X
Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei White 80X

Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
SM7 50F, 54S, SM8 58M
Spider Tour

[quote name='mmack067' timestamp='1441109946' post='12244232']
Great post, [color=#282828]Phatchrisrules. I have a couple of comment to make. I know I'm likely in the minority here based on what others have posted, but I ordered a Vapor Pro driver this year and expected it to take weeks. I'd say that it was here in maybe 5 business days. That being said, a guy I play a lot of golf with has had to send his driver back a couple of times in the last year or so and it's been a bit of a nightmare. [/color]

[color=#282828]As for the fitting/custom aspect and getting clubs in peoples hands, I'll gladly pay a fitting fee for a session, BUT, it has to be outdoors. I'm not going to make my purchase decision on an indoor sim if I'm paying $1,000+ for a new set of irons. I'm due for some new irons next year and I've already narrowed it down to Titleist vs. Mizuno as I can get fit on Trackman outdoors at my club. I'll ask our Nike rep to drop a couple of things off to my club for me, but I don't want to wait forever just to get X100s rather than stock unless the product is leaps and bounds better than the competition.[/color]
[/quote]

I hear you on the outdoor fittings. I do believe that an outdoor fitting is king as nothing can beat turf interaction and ball flight. However, since I do work at a big box store, and can count on one hand the amount of clubs that I've custom fit come back, I believe it still can be done properly. Also, being in Canada, it gets cold here by early November steadily until late March/early April. There are outdoor, heated fitting bays, but I'd still rather hit inside than wear a couple layers and have numb hands outside. But I just read where you're from, so I'm just preaching to the choir. I can say yes I agree with you, but also due to the nature of my job I have to disagree that outdoors is > to indoors ;)

Just as a comment to not wanting to wait 4-6 weeks (at least) for x100s. If you like the Nike clubs, could you not pull the X1s from your own clubs and then just put whatever happens to come in the Nike's into your 712s when you sell them? That is providing you like the Nike's enough to buy them? Even if you went the Vapor Pro Combo's, the DG Pros are ascending flighted design. So the 3/4 iron I think is 115-118 and the Pw/Aw are 122 grams. You would be down about a swingweight and a half in you put the X1's in there straight up without any reweighting. Just a thought. Hell, even if you went Vapor Speed, the Dynalite 105s they have in there actually weigh 121 grams.... :alcoholic:

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

[quote name='phatchrisrules' timestamp='1441111645' post='12244340']
[quote name='mmack067' timestamp='1441109946' post='12244232']

[/quote]

I hear you on the outdoor fittings. I do believe that an outdoor fitting is king as nothing can beat turf interaction and ball flight. However, since I do work at a big box store, and can count on one hand the amount of clubs that I've custom fit come back, I believe it still can be done properly. Also, being in Canada, it gets cold here by early November steadily until late March/early April. There are outdoor, heated fitting bays, but I'd still rather hit inside than wear a couple layers and have numb hands outside. But I just read where you're from, so I'm just preaching to the choir. I can say yes I agree with you, but also due to the nature of my job I have to disagree that outdoors is > to indoors ;)

Just as a comment to not wanting to wait 4-6 weeks (at least) for x100s. If you like the Nike clubs, could you not pull the X1s from your own clubs and then just put whatever happens to come in the Nike's into your 712s when you sell them? That is providing you like the Nike's enough to buy them? Even if you went the Vapor Pro Combo's, the DG Pros are ascending flighted design. So the 3/4 iron I think is 115-118 and the Pw/Aw are 122 grams. You would be down about a swingweight and a half in you put the X1's in there straight up without any reweighting. Just a thought. Hell, even if you went Vapor Speed, the Dynalite 105s they have in there actually weigh 121 grams.... :alcoholic:
[/quote]

That's certainly a good workaround, and I've done it in the past. The only problem is that I think I'm going to keep my CBs even when I buy new irons.

I can do the work myself so it's a viable solution, but it's not an option for most consumers.

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei Blue 60 TX
Titleist TS2 15* - D+ LTD 70X
Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei White 80X

Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
SM7 50F, 54S, SM8 58M
Spider Tour

Talked to a guy at the local shop and we were talking Nike golf. I tried out a rogue 110 stiff and wow need that shaft but anyway. He said that the Nike line coming up has a "lot of blue" I said that's ok kind of tired of the red. He stated my emphatically "LOTS OF BLUE" so I guessed that the rep showed him what was coming.
He did say something about 1 new set of irons possibly but I wasn't listening to well at the time and didn't want to interrogate him. I'm going to go back soon and get more info when I can.

Talked to a guy at the local shop and we were talking Nike golf. I tried out a rogue 110 stiff and wow need that shaft but anyway. He said that the Nike line coming up has a "lot of blue" I said that's ok kind of tired of the red. He stated my emphatically "LOTS OF BLUE" so I guessed that the rep showed him what was coming.

He did say something about 1 new set of irons possibly but I wasn't listening to well at the time and didn't want to interrogate him. I'm going to go back soon and get more info when I can.

New Nike mascot for 2016...

:lol:

cookiemonster.jpeg

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

must be something new soon prices have been cut on fairways and drivers for the first time since launch over here, a sure sign a new model is on the way.

Cobra Radspeed XD 10.5
Callaway rogue 3 wood
Callaway rogue 5 wood
Callaway Hawkeye 7 wood.
Taylormade M6 irons 5 to pw,aw, sw, 2 degrees upright +half an inch longer
Callaway  mack daddy cb 60 wedge
Titleist trufeel/Callaway supersoft balls
Odyssey 7s black

[quote name='Philipc29' timestamp='1441524382' post='12270928']
I like the red. I like the Volt...but Blue! If they can make that work with a driver, that would be something interested to see! Just don't make it too Cobra like.
[/quote]

I think the blue looks good on the mizzy drivers. I'm looking forward to seeing what the swoosh brings out next...

we saw 2 years of RED drivers, should we not see two years of Volt?
maybe not ....

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

[quote name='wldchld22' timestamp='1441549938' post='12271540']
Blue could work but why not allow us to choose? Like with a NikeID? OvenID? #OpenTheOven
[/quote]

Guessing that the benefit of ID clubs doesn't outweigh the cost.

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

[quote name='Kylekoz17' timestamp='1441551328' post='12271630']
Blue could work but why not allow us to choose? Like with a NikeID? OvenID? #OpenTheOven
[/quote]

[/quote]

That's my guess but it seems like Nike is looking to freeze out the small dealers anyways. So why not?

In a perfect world they provide the demos to every shop and then when a customer is ready they put in a code on NikeID so the club can get credit and Nike gets to build/make a club to spec. Just stock the different optioned heads and have the shafts ready right?

black
volt
red
blue
silver
white (hahaha)

6 styles of heads. have em ready to go and have most of the stock shafts ready. just screw and ship. sounds easy, but who knows. The pain of Nike custom has been discussed in this thread already. My brother sells Mizuno all day and he says their customer service is second to none. Maybe I need to switch irons at least...

[quote name='wldchld22' timestamp='1441565935' post='12272324']
[/quote]

[/quote]

That's my guess but it seems like Nike is looking to freeze out the small dealers anyways. So why not?

In a perfect world they provide the demos to every shop and then when a customer is ready they put in a code on NikeID so the club can get credit and Nike gets to build/make a club to spec. Just stock the different optioned heads and have the shafts ready right?

black
volt
red
blue
silver
white (hahaha)

6 styles of heads. have em ready to go and have most of the stock shafts ready. just screw and ship. sounds easy, but who knows. The pain of Nike custom has been discussed in this thread already. My brother sells Mizuno all day and he says their customer service is second to none. Maybe I need to switch irons at least...
[/quote]

I wish they would do something like this too! That would make my job alot easier.

[quote name='wldchld22' timestamp='1441565935' post='12272324']
[/quote]

[/quote]

black
volt
red
blue
silver
white (hahaha)

[/quote] Well it seems all that we need now is a grass roots web campaign with a catchy hash tag and relentless followers...I swear I've seen this work before... #opentheoven

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1441538922' post='12271120']
[quote name='Philipc29' timestamp='1441524382' post='12270928']
I like the red. I like the Volt...but Blue! If they can make that work with a driver, that would be something interested to see! Just don't make it too Cobra like.
[/quote]

I think the blue looks good on the mizzy drivers. I'm looking forward to seeing what the swoosh brings out next...
[/quote]

I switched from the Covert 2.0 to the JPX-850. The piercing blue on the Mizzy's is so freaking beautiful!!

I hate to say it, but Im thinking of switching from my VPC and going to the Mizuno Mp-25. Ive never had a set of mizunos and they feel amazing I must say. I just don't know what to do!! Im not in love with my VPC!

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

[quote name='edryer3' timestamp='1441592834' post='12273930']I hate to say it, but Im thinking of switching from my VPC and going to the Mizuno Mp-25. Ive never had a set of mizunos and they feel amazing I must say. I just don't know what to do!! Im not in love with my VPC![/quote]
I hit them both last week many times, they feel so similar it's scary, I was expecting the mizzys to feel softer but the vpc's are so close

Taylormade Sim 2 Graphite design AD GP 6
Titleist TSI3 GD AD DI 7
Titleist 716 CB 3-9 Dynamic gold Tour issue S400
Titleist SM7 Vokey 46.50.54.60 DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron T22 fastback Murdered out

IG _Flagrant

[quote name='Flagrant' timestamp='1441595355' post='12274104']
[quote name='edryer3' timestamp='1441592834' post='12273930']I hate to say it, but Im thinking of switching from my VPC and going to the Mizuno Mp-25. Ive never had a set of mizunos and they feel amazing I must say. I just don't know what to do!! Im not in love with my VPC![/quote]
I hit them both last week many times, they feel so similar it's scary, I was expecting the mizzys to feel softer but the vpc's are so close
[/quote]

They are for sure. I think that what made them feel better was the Ctaper S I hit with them. I was getting the same numbers by swing easier with them, then when I was swinging with the VPC. Mishits weren't harsh like the VPC DG Pro x100. I am at a cross roads!

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]

[quote name='edryer3' timestamp='1441596436' post='12274172'][quote name='Flagrant' timestamp='1441595355' post='12274104']
[/quote]

They are for sure. I think that what made them feel better was the Ctaper S I hit with them. I was getting the same numbers by swing easier with them, then when I was swinging with the VPC. Mishits weren't harsh like the VPC DG Pro x100. I am at a cross roads![/quote]
I'm in the same situation, I agree with the dgs300 in the vpc, I also tried the ctaper in the mizzy and felt the same, great result with a smoother swing.

Taylormade Sim 2 Graphite design AD GP 6
Titleist TSI3 GD AD DI 7
Titleist 716 CB 3-9 Dynamic gold Tour issue S400
Titleist SM7 Vokey 46.50.54.60 DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron T22 fastback Murdered out

IG _Flagrant

[quote name='Flagrant' timestamp='1441600229' post='12274370'][quote name='edryer3' timestamp='1441596436' post='12274172'][quote name='Flagrant' timestamp='1441595355' post='12274104']
[/quote]

They are for sure. I think that what made them feel better was the Ctaper S I hit with them. I was getting the same numbers by swing easier with them, then when I was swinging with the VPC. Mishits weren't harsh like the VPC DG Pro x100. I am at a cross roads![/quote]
I'm in the same situation, I agree with the dgs300 in the vpc, I also tried the ctaper in the mizzy and felt the same, great result with a smoother swing.[/quote]

I guess when in doubt keep the Vapors and buy the mizzys :)