2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Olympics Golf: The Official Discussion Thread (merged)

GolfGrouch

I think Feherty's "salad bar" comment on Aphibarnrat was right up there with one of the distasteful and unprofessional things he has ever said. This is the Olympics, Time to put aside the snide remarks and show some diversity, you don't always have to try to be funny.

Nike Vapor Flex 440 w Fuji Tour spec 63
Nike Vapor Fly 3w
Nike Vapor Flex 3h
Nike Vapor Pro combo 4-PW w PX LZ 5.5
Nike Engage 52 square and 58DS
Nike Method Origin B2-05
RZN Dot Platinum
[color=#0000ff]IG Gchrist_01[/color]

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Olympic sport that bears closest comparison to golf is tennis. I'm just watching Murray and Del Potro sweat blood for a gold medal having watched Djokovic break down in tears when he was knocked out in early round (he certainly wasn't crying when he lost early at Wimbledon). At some point in the next 20 years an Olympic gold medal in golf will mean as much to the top players as a green jacket or a claret jug. Book it.

Siri, set a reminder for 20 years to tell Ajit he was wrong.

Nearly 30 years in, Olympic tennis is so important the men play best of three (except the final) and they don't even give ranking points for it anymore.

Exactly. The tennis has been enjoyable over the past week, but in no way, shape or form is the Olympic tournament viewed as being on the same level of importance as the 4 Grand Slams.

So why wasn't Djokovic balling his eyes out when he lost at Wimbledon a month ago? How many other tournaments does Nadal play doubles and singles? How about Murray?

You don't know what you're talking about.

The Olympic sport that bears closest comparison to golf is tennis. I'm just watching Murray and Del Potro sweat blood for a gold medal having watched Djokovic break down in tears when he was knocked out in early round (he certainly wasn't crying when he lost early at Wimbledon). At some point in the next 20 years an Olympic gold medal in golf will mean as much to the top players as a green jacket or a claret jug. Book it.

Nearly 30 years in, Olympic tennis is so important the men play best of three (except the final) and they don't even give ranking points for it anymore.

It is best of 3 because the tournament is played over 1 week with the players having matches every day and that would not be possible if the matches were best of five. Also playing best of three allows the top players to play doubles as well.

I don't think Murray, Nadal or Djokovic care about the lack of ranking points.

Exactly. The tennis has been enjoyable over the past week, but in no way, shape or form is the Olympic tournament viewed as being on the same level of importance as the 4 Grand Slams.

So why wasn't Djokovic balling his eyes out when he lost at Wimbledon a month ago? How many other tournaments does Nadal play doubles and singles? How about Murray?

Kind of proves my point, doesn't it???

Kind of a bummer that the caddies don't get to participate in the medal ceremony.
caddies in down town Rio right now samba partying. Dodging bullets and muggings.

Some of them are moonlighting as caddies for the muggers. You rob enough people at gunpoint and you need help carrying your swag.

Plus it's always helpful to have an extra eye when sticking up someone

"wind coming from the east boss, make sure you pistol whip him from that side to take advantage of the wind"

(Come down off your high horse, Dudley.)

Christ, I've read enough of these dumb Rio jokes on here over the past few weeks to last me five lifetimes. The extreme levels of violence and corruption so pervasive in Brazil is, in fact, extremely sad, tragic and not some matter simply due to it's geographic boundaries.

At GolfWRX however, it's been repeatedly useful in providing a collection of attention seeking internet wise-guys a punchline to a seemingly endless parade of unfunny quips (and/or xenophobic comments) leveled at Rio/Brazil, many of whom probably couldn't even point out Brazil on a map if their Circle T collection depended on it.

Kind of a bummer that the caddies don't get to participate in the medal ceremony.
caddies in down town Rio right now samba partying. Dodging bullets and muggings.

Some of them are moonlighting as caddies for the muggers. You rob enough people at gunpoint and you need help carrying your swag.

"wind coming from the east boss, make sure you pistol whip him from that side to take advantage of the wind"

Christ, I've read enough of these dumb Rio jokes on here over the past few weeks to last me five lifetimes. The extreme levels of violence and corruption so pervasive in Brazil is, in fact, extremely sad, tragic and not some matter simply due to it's geographic boundaries.

At GolfWRX however, it's been repeatedly useful in providing a collection of attention seeking internet wise-guys a punchline to a seemingly endless parade of unfunny quips (and/or xenophobic comments) leveled at Rio/Brazil, many of whom probably couldn't even point out Brazil on a map if their Circle T collection depended on it.

Attention seeking internet wise guy with a Circle T collection who can't point out Brazil on a map

I take offense to that Terry

I have never owned a Circle T

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Attention seeking internet wise guy with a Circle T collection who can't point out Brazil on a map

Wasn't all specifically directly at you Jeff, but even if it was, "Seemore" just doesn't carry the same cachet.

Kind of proves my point, doesn't it???

No it just disproves it because it goes to show how desperate they are for any Olympic success.

The tennis played this week was as intense as anything played in the grand slams. Don't really see how that's up for debate.

The tennis played this week was as intense as anything played in the grand slams. Don't really see how that's up for debate.

I wasn't debating the intensity of play, I was pointing out the obvious (at least to folks, unlike you, who actually know something about tennis), which is that the Olympics simply aren't viewed in the same light as the 4 Grand Slams.

“Nothing against the Olympics,” Isner told The Post in late February when he announced his commitment to the Citi Open. “I played in 2012 and it was an incredible experience. It’s different for tennis players than for swimmers and track and field athletes. That’s the pinnacle of their sport and not so much the pinnacle of tennis.

Our biggest events are the Grand Slams and are always going to be the Grand Slams.”

https://www.washingt...o-rio-olympics/

post-5624-0-84457000-1471203375_thumb.jpg

Too bad the IOC chose Rio with all the Zika health scare, terrible crime and third-world lawlessness. Too bad the IOC banned Olympic participants from displaying non-Rio sponsored logos/emblems on their clothing and equipment.

Here is the list of golfers (with World Rankings at the time they withdrew) that would have made the field much, much stronger:

• Jason Day (No. 1) -- Australia
  • Dustin Johnson (No. 2) -- United States
  • Jordan Spieth (No. 3) -- United States
  • Rory McIlroy (No. 3) -- Northern Ireland
  • Adam Scott (No. 8) -- Australia
  • Branden Grace (No. 11) -- South Africa
  • Louis Oosthuizen (No. 14) -- South Africa
  • Hideki Matsuyama (No. 17) -- Japan
  • Charl Schwartzel (No. 23) -- South Africa
  • Marc Leishman (No. 37) -- Australia
  • K.T. Kim (No. 41) -- South Korea
  • Francesco Molinari (No. 56) -- Italy
  • Hideto Tanihara (No. 69) -- Japan
  • Graeme McDowell (No. 73) -- Northern Ireland
  • Victor Dubuisson (No. 78) -- France
  • Matt Jones (No. 84) -- Australia
  • Miguel Angel Jimenez (No. 166) -- Spain
  • Vijay Singh (No. 210) -- Fiji
  • Brendon de Jonge (No. 319) -- Zimbabwe
  • Angelo Que (No. 320) -- Philippines
  • Tim Wilkinson (No. 340) -- New Zealand

How can Miguel Angel Jimenez sit out when he didn't qualify? What am I missing?

That's gold, Terry!

Sergio was right. Anyone who thinks golf doesn't belong in the Olympics is on drugs.

That was amazing. Loved hearing Kucher talk about how proud he was to finish 3rd and win a medal for his country.

I guarantee every single top pro who refused to go is kicking themselves right now. Idiots missed out on the experience of a lifetime.

Sergio was right. Anyone who thinks golf doesn't belong in the Olympics is on drugs.

That was amazing. Loved hearing Kucher talk about how proud he was to finish 3rd and win a medal for his country.

I guarantee every single top pro who refused to go is kicking themselves right now. Idiots missed out on the experience of a lifetime.

I can hear it now -

"Then, after I was robbed at gunpoint ..."

Loved seeing all the different clothes each country was wearing from day to day. I give Great Britain top honors, love the use of the crest prominently in all their shirts. But, that said I though Grillo's Sunday outfit was the best in the field.

Worst in show: Spain's baseball hats. They were so ugly and cheap looking that Sergio decided to risk sun stroke all week rather than get caught dead in one.

Runner up worst in show: USA only bringing 3 outfits. I love the red flag shirt as much as anyone and have one in my wardrobe, but wearing in day 2 and day 4? How do you not have 4 different outfits for this? everyone else did.

Loved pretty much all of the bags i saw except Great Britain. Sweden's was sick!

I can hear it now -

To be fair, if Lochte and his fellow swimmer friends didn't leave the olympic village to go chase french tail they wouldn't of gotten robbed at gunpoint...

My Circle T got stolen in.............nevermind, I won't do it

I thought it was pretty cool that Rose spent time with Murray before their respective events and they both took home a gold. Not a bad topic of discussion next time they bump into each other.

Also thought that they, as well as Kuch and Fraser represented their countries and the ethics of the game well by being true gentlemen in victory and defeat. Henrik made it a clear point to say his back was fine and not allow the reporter to even hint at it being a lucky break for Rose.

Lastly, it did make me feel a little more disenchanted with the players who backed out. At first I didn't quite get it, but when you see the crowds of people, many of whom have never cared to watch golf, you understand the gravity of the situation. This was a chance to be an ambassador of your trade, to truly give back to the game, and you watch guys act like its beneath them..its just disheartening. Not having the top players from each country does effect the quality of the field and in some eyes, the legitimacy of the event. People watched great golf and hopefully that's enough to continue to grow this wonderful game.

Just my 2¢. Had to get that off my chest lol

post-5624-0-84457000-1471203375_thumb.jpg

Too bad the IOC chose Rio with all the Zika health scare, terrible crime and third-world lawlessness. Too bad the IOC banned Olympic participants from displaying non-Rio sponsored logos/emblems on their clothing and equipment.

Here is the list of golfers (with World Rankings at the time they withdrew) that would have made the field much, much stronger:

• Jason Day (No. 1) -- Australia
  • Dustin Johnson (No. 2) -- United States
  • Jordan Spieth (No. 3) -- United States
  • Rory McIlroy (No. 3) -- Northern Ireland
  • Adam Scott (No. 8) -- Australia
  • Branden Grace (No. 11) -- South Africa
  • Louis Oosthuizen (No. 14) -- South Africa
  • Hideki Matsuyama (No. 17) -- Japan
  • Charl Schwartzel (No. 23) -- South Africa
  • Marc Leishman (No. 37) -- Australia
  • K.T. Kim (No. 41) -- South Korea
  • Francesco Molinari (No. 56) -- Italy
  • Hideto Tanihara (No. 69) -- Japan
  • Graeme McDowell (No. 73) -- Northern Ireland
  • Victor Dubuisson (No. 78) -- France
  • Matt Jones (No. 84) -- Australia
  • Miguel Angel Jimenez (No. 166) -- Spain
  • Vijay Singh (No. 210) -- Fiji
  • Brendon de Jonge (No. 319) -- Zimbabwe
  • Angelo Que (No. 320) -- Philippines
  • Tim Wilkinson (No. 340) -- New Zealand

How can Miguel Angel Jimenez sit out when he didn't qualify? What am I missing?

I also did not qualify and chose not to go :taunt:

You are correct Jimenez did not qualify, but pulled his name from being first alternate.

The list above is a cut paste job from an article on the net that includes some sloppy reporting.

Having said that many of the alternates were not half bad when you look down the list. If Matt Jones had went we would not have seen Fraser for instance. (and they were only 4 or 5 WGR between them).

The top names did let golf down though and that is shame, I bet it is better in 4 years.

At least we have pretty much all the best women.

Solution: in the future, and in the spirit of the Olympics, golfers should have to participate in Olympic preliminary qualifier tournaments, hosted in their home country, to make an Olympic team. This would encourage participation among top amateurs/pros alike and the excitement of making the team would actually mean something. I believe that would greatly enhance the importance of making the "team," earning the right be called an Olympian, and getting the opportunity to represent your country against the world.

Nice idea that would add a bit of buzz to the build up to the event, imagine it in America for example. Like US Open qualifying on steroids. But how would qualifying work? One off tournament? One off round?

A one day event would be exciting but you might end up with a 'worse' field because you're bound to get a few top 15 guys just simply having a bad day while a guy ranked 400 shoots the round of his life to qualify instead. Make it a standard four rounds and you're adding another event to a very packed schedule in an Olympic year.

Agreed. It was hard enough getting guys to show up as it is. No chance the top guys take another week out of their schedules to qualify.

And what would be the point anyway? The OWGR isn't perfect, but its a lot better than a qualifying tournament crapshoot.

To each his own.

We're talking about the Olympics, not getting guys to play in the Greenbrier Open. I'd rather see a "worse" field of people who earned their way to the Olympics through tough qualifying events than handing out invitations based on World Rankings. You're basically eliminating any shot the top amateurs have of making the team. That's not in the spirit of the Olympics. In the end, I think event would be much more interesting to both players and fans. Otherwise, it looks no different than what we'll see next week on the PGA Tour.

How to idea: Hold a number of sectional one-day/round tournaments (on a Monday, no different than U.S. Open qualifying) around the country. Take the top 15 from those events and pool them into a few regional one-day/round events (again on a Monday). Top 10 from each compete in a final one-day/round tournament. Top 3 go to the Olympics.

If having to take time off to complete for a spot to represent your country in the Olympics bothers players too much, they don't have to participate and can watch the games from home.

Loved seeing all the different clothes each country was wearing from day to day. I give Great Britain top honors, love the use of the crest prominently in all their shirts. But, that said I though Grillo's Sunday outfit was the best in the field.

Worst in show: Spain's baseball hats. They were so ugly and cheap looking that Sergio decided to risk sun stroke all week rather than get caught dead in one.

Runner up worst in show: USA only bringing 3 outfits. I love the red flag shirt as much as anyone and have one in my wardrobe, but wearing in day 2 and day 4? How do you not have 4 different outfits for this? everyone else did.

Loved pretty much all of the bags i saw except Great Britain. Sweden's was sick!

Henriks and Bagins shirts on sunday were perfect, yellow shirts for Central Scandinavians in sport events is as important as orange is for the Dutch. Three blue crowns would have been the icing of the cake but you cannot get everything. The H&M logo and brand isn't as snazzy as Galvin Green or Boss, but I think they did a fair design job.

What was sick with the Central Scandinavian outfit? Fancy color patterns missing? That's not Central Scandinavian mentality. All the immigrants might change that, but not yet, and I doubt it.

What was sick with the Central Scandinavian outfit?

I bet you read it wrong way around.

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

Meanwhile USA sent 45 swimmers to Rio.

So what? Are you saying all 45 swimmers competed for one gold medal? Your analogy fails on every level.

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2

I can hear it now -

On the basis of personal family experience over the last week in Rio, travelling around on public transport and on foot - its probably the safest time to visit Rio. There's so much police and armed forces presence that half of the criminals are in hiding, and the volume of people is such that its too crowded for anyone bar the pick pockets - we were far more likely to get pick pocketed in Barcelona than Rio.

Even speaking as a Brit, I found the GB shirts a bit OTT to be honest - distinctive I guess you could call them - the Swedes certainly showed the way with the bags

Well they had their chance - their loss IMO. Despite a field of varying talents (as per all sports at the Olympics) golf was the winner - thoroughly enjoyed watching all 4 days and the BBC coverage was extensive. The course might not have been everyone's cup of tea but it did present plenty of opportunities to go for shots and be rewarded for a well struck one.

Pity the crowds weren't a little bigger, but then thats been an issue for all sports at Rio so far - the course perhaps wasn't conducive to large crowds lining both sides of the fairways anyway.

"Aside from Henrik Stenson (Sweeden), Not a single country sent their best player."

Thats whats so pathetic about this.

As one poster put it perfectly,

They couldnt be bothered to compete for a medal for their country.

Just so you know, I didn't not actually do a lot of research to figure out who the players are from each country that competed in the tournament. However, The USA did not send their best, Australia, Great Brittain, Ireland and probably several more.

South Africa didn't. Spain, Germany and Canada did.

Surely Great Britain did too. Remember for the purposes of the Olympics McIlroy is Irish so not eligible for Great Britain. We sent Rose and Willet. Unless I've went completely blank, I can't think of any higher ranked British players.

I still think Golf should not be in the Olympics, even after watching the event.

But, even die hard anti-Olympic people have to give the tournament and the players their due. It was a great tournament on a great course with a great final round and great players at the top of the leaderboard. The coverage was excellent by NBC/Golf Channel, except for missing the 100' putt by Stenson on Saturday. Everything worked out great for the people who pushed to get golf in the event, I just hope the IGF can protect the sport from all the corruption that swallows up everything associated with the IOC. The thing that made the tournament was the good play of the players, as what usually happens at the Olympics. If someone won by five shots that wasn't a big name in professional golf nobody would have watched it after Friday or Saturday, and all the good press we read now would not be there..

It will be very interesting to have some media guy go back in six months or a year and see what happens to the course. If the thing is still a golf course that people use, then having golf in Rio is probably a good thing. If the course is a housing development, trash dump, or has closed, then its a pretty clear sign that all the hopes of the IGF to grow the game at the Olympics is pretty much a fantasy IMO.

The IGF also has to change the format, or at least tweak it. There needs to be a team competition of some type added to the event. Make it like the World Cup with individual medals added to the 72 hole team competition if you want, or use another format. The IGF was lucky to have the ending it had, with an American making a last round charge to almost catch two of the top ten players in the world playing one round for the gold. If the tournament ended up finishing as the John Deere did this year instead, there would not be nearly as many great reviews of the event as there are today.

Lest we forget, in 2017 the IOC votes whether to keep Golf in the Olympics after 2020. These are the complete idiots who voted Wrestling out recently, a sport that has been in every Olympics back to the ancient games in Greece. At least they had the good sense to change their minds for once. But these corrupt boneheads might well decide that since a few people decided, for whatever reason, they didn't want to play in Rio and make a few extra dollars or euros for the corrupt IOC, they will kick golf out the door. Or they might even kick men's golf out the door and keep women's golf, to appease certain groups in the IOC.

But for today, good on you players, the IGF, the course designer, and everyone else associated with the tournament. Let's hope women have as good an event as the men do.

Finally finished watching the recording. What a great final round. I was pulling for Stenson but congrats to Rose.

I was nice to see a big crowd as well. I think the format should stay the same. Stroke play is the best way to find out who is the best over 4 days. If you start putting teams in it eliminates a lot of countries since they don't have 2 golfers high up in the rankings. And in match play there is a higher chance of a top seeded player getting eliminated early.