RECAP: LIVE Q&A with Callaway Golf on Great Big Bertha & Big Bertha Alpha 816 Drivers! Wed August 1

Had the opportunity to hit both 816 models yesterday- the Great Big Bertha & Big Bertha Alpha 816 DBD. I went ahead an picked the BBA 816 DBD while making a decision on a final shaft set up. I hit both models w/ the Adila Rogue 60 I/O in X- Flex b/c they were still getting everything else unpacked. Personally, I'm not a fan of the Aldila Rogue 60 I/O, but to each their own. The feel of the BBA 816 when you hit one on the screws is extacsy. And look is just amazing. You will be confident standing over your tee ball and I am certain you will be able to find a shaft/head combo b/w the two that will help your game.

That said; here's a lot of shaft upgrade options (no charge) for the 816 BBA DBD:
[attachment=2905802:image.jpg]

My question is why can you offer the Diamana D+ 70 at no up charge but the D+ 60 requires about $150 up charge. That's just one example. I'll continue this later.

PLEASE don't take this as a complaint; i'm still very happy with the product and the options available. I'm just curious by nature. ,

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='3woodvt' timestamp='1439562663' post='12136314']
How does these new drivers compare to Ping's G30LS, which I absolutely love?

Which driver should I compare the Ping to?
[/quote]In addition,

Here are my numbers from recent fitting.
SS102
Launch 17.1
Ball Speed 152
Carry 252
Vary 7.9
smash 147.7

Thanks for taking the time.

Thanks for taking the time everyone. The X2 Hot Pro has brought me back to Callaway offerings after taking some time off! I have just a few questions:

1) I currently have the X2 Hot Pro (LDA) 6.5°, +1° at the moment and love the flight and spin numbers I get. I see 9° and 10.5° offerings in the 816 DBD, but nothing lower. Will there be lower loft options?
2) Were there any changes with the R-Moto Technology from the 815 to 816 series?
3) Why do you feel the Adjustable Perimeter Weighting system is better than say the SLDR or R15 sliding weights?

Thank y'all!

Callaway X2 Hot Pro 8.5° w/ Oban Devotion 6 X-Flex
Callaway 816 Alpha 14° w/ Accra AC75 M5 X-Flex
Adams Pro 20° 3h w/ Aldila Tour Red ATX75h X-Flex
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW w/ X-100
Titleist Vokey 50.08 SM5 F-Grind
Titleist Vokey 54.08 SM
Titleist Vokey 58.12 SM
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport

Hi, Guys! I just want to start off by saying how excited I am about this new product line.. as well as many others from Callaway! You guys definitely do an amazing job of really creating the "Excitement Factor" (kudos to Harry and the Zoo Crew!)

Anyway... I currently have the 815 and LOVE it. I have it paired with a Project X LZ60 Handcrafted and honestly don't think I could find a better match... I am very interested in the Great Big Bertha though. At address, how does the head shape compare to the 815? Also, Could you talk about the construction, material, thickness, flexibility and biggest performance improvements of the new "Next Gen" face compared to the original RMOTO? And Lastly, Which of the new drivers do you guys think will have a bigger tour presence?

One more... Based on tour staff (or percentage of fittings you do) do most go core up or core down??? Is one significantly more popular/ common?

Thanks for this opportunity, and keep up the great work!

Taylormade M5 w/ Tenesi Orange 60x 
Taylormade M5 3w/5w w/ Tenesi Orange 70x   
Callaway Apex Pro Combo PX 6.0
Vokey SM7 50, 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2
Titleist Pro-V1x

When the BBA 815 came out and people asked why APW was removed, the response from Callaway was that most players were not using all of the setting so it was decided to go with a simpler system.

What has changed in that thinking to bring back the APW?

Why is the Speed Step Crown from the XR series not a part of the Bertha line?

Is it fair to think of the GBB as a convergence of the V series and the (non-DBD) Alpha lines?

First off, thanks to Callaway and WRX for fielding these questions. It is great to see a brand indulge us for a few minutes.

1. We lost the weight track for 2015, and it is back for 2016. What does it offer that weight screws do not?

2. When pics of the Great Big Bertha first hit the USGA site, I was hoping the GBB might have both weight track and Vertical COG adjustment. Would this be a possibility later or, given the weight/materials limitations, is it even possible?

Again, thank you.

G430 LST 10.5* (Ventus Velocore Black 5S)
SIM2 MAX 15* (Ventus Blue 6S)

G425 7w (Tensei RO 75S)
G430 4h (Tour 2.0 85S)

T300 5-P, 48 (PX LZ 6.0)
SM9 Raw 54s (@53) (DGS200)

SM9 Raw 58s (DG Spinner)

Newport 2 Studio Style

Callaway Team,

Your product line since Chip came on a while back has been extremely impressive and I am excited to have a bag full of Callaway clubs. Keep up the great work.

My question I have for your team is in regards to fitting. I formerly was a club fitter in a Golfsmith that had a Callaway Studio where there was an extensive lineup of custom shafts. With the new extended options for shaft are you considering putting together something like Mizuno shaft optimizer that would help somebody to find the right shaft?

If not how does somebody decide what shaft to choose when they are not able to hit them all because they are not in the fitting cart?

Thanks again.

PING 410 10.5 LST -1.5 DEGREES RIP 50x
PING 410 LST 15 DIAMANA ORANGE X

CALLAWAY UW 19 ALTUS BLUE 75 X

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST PRO HYBRID

CALLAWAY TCB 5-AW PROJECT X CATALYST 100

CALLAWAY FULL TOE 54, 60 MMT 125 SCORING WEDGES
YES TRACY

For players who like a shorter shaft, how do you recommend going about changing swing weight on the 816 Alpha Driver? Is it better to increase the weight in the rear of the club with a heavier weight or increase the chamber weight opposite the gravity core? And if so would that negate some of the effects of the Gravity core?

Thanks!

This question would be for either [color=#000000]Alan Hocknell or [/color][color=#000000]Evan Gibbs, Sr.; Which of the 2 drivers being discussed would you feel is a better fit for a[/color] low single digit handicapper with a driver swing speed in the high 80's low 90' mph range?

Tour Issue TM M2 2016 w/Tensi Pro Blue S60
Tour Issue TM M2 15* w/ Adila ATX Green S
TM HFS 21* W GD TOUR AD di 7S
Cobra Pro mb 4-PW w/ Aldila RIP Tour R hard stepped
Titleist Vokey Proto's 54*,56*,60*
Tour Bettinardi BB0 DASS or
Tour Bettinardi BB1 'H' DASS 353g
Recent Acquisition SWAG Handsome One 
Titleist ProV1 X, TM TP X
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/351901-twshoot67s-bag-and-crazy-collection/page__st__30__p__8092784__hl__+twshoot67#entry8092784"]WITB Link[/url]

Has there been any consideration for a sub 400cc GBB ????

God Bless
Jer

PXG 3011X Gen 4 w/ ????
M5 T.I. 14* w/ Aldila STX Tour Green 85TX
????
4-PW Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro w/ Modus 130X
52* Cobra MIM/ Modus 130X
58* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
64* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
???? w/BGT Stability Shaft/Tour Quad Proto

I love what you guys are doing the last few years. I've been a Callaway fan since I bought my first club. A Big Bertha Warbird driver. I'm glad to see the brand back and doing well.

I'm especially impressed with the number of shafts available stock. I'm curious if you could go into a little detail on your process of selecting the shaft offerings. I'm sure price is important. But, do you guys test these out and make a choice based on certain performance criteria to make sure you can cover the majority of swing types?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I have tested both the 816 GBB and 816 A DBD.
They are great heads and certainly enough in better performance to warrant change with the right shaft.

It is is great that there are nineteen shaft offerings.
That being said, given the environment, even your largest Callaway showrooms are only carrying a few of the, "latest," shafts.
Better that you have them onsite with Callaway Opti-fit's hosels.

I think it is critical that the shafts be available on site.
That key customers are engaged, telephoned and appointments set to try them out.
That serious time is spent on each fitting.
I think that the engagement, the ideal setup for each user and the fact that if properly setup and nurtured, that customers will retain product as it will be very hard to beat.
Given that Adidas (TM/Adams) and Nike clearly have their heads in own self made sand traps, that time is now.

I would suggest that Callaway staff engage person to person (face to face) with the public and (face to face) your distributors and BE PROACTIVE.
Webinars are fine and are a great start, but they have limitations.

My question is; What are you going to do to set fire to a new sales cycle now that you have something that can sell itself by performance?

I have two small questions:
1. Are the Hosel Adapters for these new drivers similar to the previous models?
2. How cool is it to have the Great Big Bertha name back in rotation? The original models were my favorite Callaway metal wood product ever!!

Thanks in advance for taking the time for question and answer sessions!!

Titleist TSi2 9° - Mitsubishi Tensei White 60 X

Ping G400 14.5° - Matrix Black tie 7M3 SG

Ping G400 17.5° - Aldila HM-40 Tour Gold Tour 95 S

Titleist 818 H1 22° - Aldila NV 95 X

Callaway Rogue Pro 4-PW - True Temper XP 95 ST15 S300 (Black)

Vanilla Wedge 50°, 55°, & 60° - KBS 610 Wedge S

Scotty Cameron Golo s5 34"

Member of #teamjetspeed - December 2013

I currently hit the 915 D3, and use it because it is long and forgiving on shots across the face. I hit the 815 DBD last week and shots low on the face didn't perform as well for me with the 815 than my driver. So here's my question. What does the 816 DBD have to make up for the forgiveness that was maybe lacking in the 815 DBD?

Thanks for the opportunity!
Luke

Titleist TSR2 10* Ventus Black 6X
Ping 430 LST 15* Ventus Black 7X

Ping G430 Max 5w ADIZ 8X 
Titleist U500 4 DG TI X100
Titleist T100 5-Pw DG TI S400
Titleist SM9 Raw 50.08F, 54.08M, 60.04T DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X7
WITB

What is the spin and launch difference between the new Great Big Bertha and Big Bertha Alpha 816 DBD in the same loft? Also, same question for 815 DBD and 816 DBD.

Cobra F9 9.0 Hzdus Smoke 60
Callaway Epic Flash 13.5 Hzdus Smoke 70
Ping G410 2H Alta
Ping G410 4H Ping Tour 85
Ping G410 5H Ping G410 Tour 85
Callaway Epic Pro 6-A
Callaway PM19 54
Callaway PM19 58
Toulon Indianapolis 

With the new Great Big Bertha it certainly appears that the rear sliding weight track does extend as far out towards the toe as in the 2014 Bertha model. With this i have 2 questions...

1) What led to you guys deciding that it was not necessary to have it extend as far on the toe like the 2014 model?

2) If i were to cut the length of a Great Big Bertha down to say 44.5 inches, would you recommend a heavier sole weight at the front OR... could i use two weights on the sliding track to achieve my swing weight? Just thinking that two weights spread out on the rear track would increase MOI and help to fine tune ball flight.

Driver...TBD

3 wood... TBD

Ping G430 #3 hybrid with RDX red 80 

Srixon ZX MK 11 #3 Utility iron 

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 

Wedges... TBD

Scotty Cameron Champions choice Newport 2+ @ 34 inches

Pro V1 

Since the Last Q&A, i have been playing around with my 2014 Alpha. I have replaced the shaft with an Aldila tour green, i have trimmed it down to 44.75 inches and i have added weight to the sole. I have a 5 gram weight in the heel and a 7 gram weight in the toe. I tried to use the gravity core in the down position and when i struck the face near the top there was a loss in distance and it felt very unstable so to speak. Then i tried the gravity core in the up position and it now seems that i can hit it pretty much anywhere on the face and it feels solid. So my question is this... With the added weight in the sole, and the gravity core in the up position, have i actually increased MOI with more weight spread out in a Triangular pattern and could i do the same with the new 816 DBD?

Driver...TBD

3 wood... TBD

Ping G430 #3 hybrid with RDX red 80 

Srixon ZX MK 11 #3 Utility iron 

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 

Wedges... TBD

Scotty Cameron Champions choice Newport 2+ @ 34 inches

Pro V1 

Sweet I'm looking forward to the answers!
I'm curious why did you guys move away from the modified warbird sole that was on the Big Bertha V? I thought that was the perfect design for golfers who struggle with turf interaction. If you integrated a warbird sole and sole weighting in the next generation that would be absolutely awesome for us golfers who struggle with picking the ball clean and like to tinker with the weighting of the club.

Callaway Customs Rogue ST Max D 12° Driver

Ping BeCu Eye 2 + Brown Dot 4-PW/SW Irons

Taylormade MySpider GT Putter

I usually play a draw and my normal miss is a pull, If I need a 9.5 or 10 deg loft, would you recommend to get a Great Big Bertha 9 and add +1 or go with a 10.5 and go -1 .what will be the face angle difference if set in Neutral.
Will the sliding weight ,set slighly at fade, help to square the face or only add a left to right spin?

Thanks for the chance to try one of these drivers out Callaway and GolfWRX!

My question would be is this new Great Big Bertha a driver for average swing speeds like mine? Does it replace the Big Bertha V Series line or will it carry on? This new GBB would have to be something special to replace my BBV driver.

Also I really like the new marketing line of "Leave No Yard Behind" over the old claims of gaining X number of yards. The commercial also mentions to get fit for the right shaft for your swing. I like this new direction.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

It seems like re-releasing classic clubs with modern technology is the "in" thing to do, especially in the woods/hybrid department since the types of materials and technology is more advanced than ever. Are there any plans to re-release classic irons such as the x-14/16 pro with a modern twist with more forgiveness? If given free range to re-release any club in Callaway history, what would you personally like to see re-released?

Testing: Sim2 8*, Mizuno ST-G 220

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Cleveland Mashie 15.5*

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI/Odyssey Tri Hot 5K Three