2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Playing blades next year!!!

ge0vis

I was playing an old set of Nike vr cavity backs and I've always wanted to play blades. Never thought I would be good enough and was steered away. But this off season I've acquired my favorite three sets and I'm gonna hit the indoor range and then play them next year. I love the way they look and feel. Plus instant feedback of how you hit the ball. I'm a 15 handicap and want to get better, and I think this is a good step to improve as well what do you guys think?

Cobra King LTD Pro - Project X black Stiff
Srixon 545 5-pw - Nippon Stiff
Titleist SM6 50, 54, 58 Stiff
Byron Morgan DH89

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

712 Mbs beautiful [attachment=3058544:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1449587495.738259.jpg][attachment=3058546:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1449587507.814101.jpg][attachment=3058548:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1449587521.933438.jpg]

Byron Morgan DH89

New favorite looking Mbs Srixon z 945[attachment=3058552:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1449587580.326457.jpg][attachment=3058554:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1449587591.866311.jpg][attachment=3058556:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1449587605.677254.jpg]

Byron Morgan DH89

Cobra amp cell pro irons all time favorite [attachment=3058558:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1449587671.055219.jpg][attachment=3058560:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1449587684.143230.jpg][attachment=3058562:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1449587693.272461.jpg]

Byron Morgan DH89

Thanks and yeah I agree need to just commit to the blades. Wife is not happy I have 4 sets so I probably will play whichever I don't end up selling but can't go wrong with any of the three Mbs.

Byron Morgan DH89

For me I have been playing blades or cb's since I was 8 or so and to be its just a look and feel thing never really could tell a difference with hitting for instance a 712 MB vs a AP2 I mean yeah it feels a bit different but I dont gain anything only harder for me to work the ball with the AP2's

[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Driver: GBB EPIC SUB ZERO 9.0 DRIVER[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]
[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Fairway: GBB EPIC 3 WOOD[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]
[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Hybrid: EPIC 2 HYBRID[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]
[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Irons: 4-PW APEX CF 16 COMBO[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]
[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Wedges: MACK DADDY FORGED CHROME WEDGES 52* 56* 60*[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]
[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 2[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]

All the sets are amazing, welcome to the MB club, those Z945s are gorgeous!!!!!, good luck

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway AI Smole TD 15*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway AI Smoke TD 20*, Denali white 70g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago and White Hot Pro V-Line as back ups)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

[quote name='Boricua Golf' timestamp='1449596190' post='12695170']
All the sets are amazing, welcome to the MB club, those Z945s are gorgeous!!!!!, good luck
[/quote]

Thats what I was thinking, never really knew they made good looking clubs.

[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Driver: GBB EPIC SUB ZERO 9.0 DRIVER[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]
[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Fairway: GBB EPIC 3 WOOD[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]
[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Hybrid: EPIC 2 HYBRID[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]
[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Irons: 4-PW APEX CF 16 COMBO[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]
[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Wedges: MACK DADDY FORGED CHROME WEDGES 52* 56* 60*[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]
[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 2[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]

[quote name='Low3' timestamp='1449597265' post='12695222']
[quote name='Boricua Golf' timestamp='1449596190' post='12695170']
[/quote]

Thats what I was thinking, never really knew they made good looking clubs.
[/quote]

I was able to demo the Z745s in Hawaii before I left and those are solid as well, but the blades just look stunning...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway AI Smole TD 15*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway AI Smoke TD 20*, Denali white 70g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago and White Hot Pro V-Line as back ups)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

I saw those at golf smith and the sales person knew they had me instantly! I couldnt take my eyes off them and then when i hit them i was like ummm yes where do i sign! but i had just ordered the 712's and the cobras literally that day and a couple days before. Wouldnt mind keeping the srixons but gotta get the rest gone or i'll be waiting for divorce papers! LMAO

Byron Morgan DH89

I've hit all three indoors on a mat which i know doesnt do it justice but these michigan winters are killing me and im itching to get them out on a course going to san diego next week and can only take one and cant make up my mind yet!

Byron Morgan DH89

[quote name='ge0vis' timestamp='1449589556' post='12694792']
Thanks and yeah I agree need to just commit to the blades. Wife is not happy I have 4 sets so I probably will play whichever I don't end up selling but can't go wrong with any of the three Mbs.
[/quote]

Welcome to this little corner of WRX. Nice sticks! We all seem to play blades, in some form or vintage around here. You hit the [s]nail[/s] ball on the head with your first sentence. Just commit. The narrative about playing blades makes a bigger deal out of the exercise than it needs to be.

As for having an unhappy wife (because of to many sets), thats what dark corners of basements are for. Hidden recesses to stash your excess inventory of clubs away from unapproving eyes. Least thats how I go about with the Mrs. Usually.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Yes play the blades by all means. Modern blades are far more playable than the earlier ones anyway.
You may find the Srixons the most user friendly of the three sets. Although you are not looking for forgiveness necessarily the 945's may be more accommodating in your transition from cb's.
Which ever way enjoy :)
They are 3 great sets you've got there.

[quote name='CBECH22' timestamp='1449620443' post='12696860'][quote name='ge0vis' timestamp='1449589556' post='12694792']
[/quote]

Well keep me updated ones you are selling![/quote]

I have them all listed in the classified currently probably pinned soon.

Byron Morgan DH89

Hi I play with the Cobra Amp cell pro irons these irons are very easy to hit and have a nice feel when hit from the sweet spot
The Titleist mb irons are also very easy to hit i had a set of 710 irons they have the same size head as the Cobras Amp cell pro irons
The Srixon irons look very very very nice god I would love to own a set put they are expensive in New Zealand
What ever you choose you won't regret playing with blades you will ask yourself why didn't I do this years ago.
If people tell you that you shouldn't be using them tell them to mind their own business ( that's putting it politely)

If you are a 15, use a cavity backed forged blade with the largest hitting area (the biggest club head) and the largest sole. Hitting small MB blades could be painful. I play Hogan Apex edge, which are cavity backed forged, but a somewhat larger head and wide soles, than small MB blades. Feed back is excellent. I'm about a 10, and tried small Bstone blades, and they are no fun. Just my $.02

This is all very good advice and im glad i posted it here instead of bag forum. Thank you! I think im definitley playing one of these sets next year i do understand with my handicap to play something with forgiveness but my problems with my handicap isnt from my iron play its from the driver and short game like most peoples are. Oh and dont get me started on the putter!!! But anyway i figure i love the look of these and i love the feel when i flush one and put a draw on it, makes me proud of myself from where i started 2 years ago. Plus ive realized that im not going to be on the tour anytime soon so play what I want and strive to get better. Also with the getting better aspect I think i cant get better unless i go to the range 3-4 time a week and play 50+ rounds or an instructor which in turn means im spending alot of cash on this game, some people can afford that and some choose to put it towards their daughters college fund. I just cant wait to get out there, stupid michigan winters!

Byron Morgan DH89

Go for it brother!
I did the same thing in 1983. I was about a 16 at the time I switched from CB's to Hogan Apex PC's. I never looked back. 1 1/2 years later with those gorgeous clubs and a lot of hard work, I was down to a six. 3 years later I was a 2.
All the best!

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

I went back to blades last year after years of playing SGI irons. My handicap didn't change a bit. Granted I don't play long irons. A 6 iron is the lowest iron I play. The biggest difference I found was that my chipping improved dramatically around the greens.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.