2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2016 Phoenix area course conditions thread

One_Putt_Blunder

Played Maryvale (grand Canyon) in the mens club yesterday. The greens are the best I've played on all summer. there are still some bare spots in the fairway but with all the rain we've gotten its coming along great. Bunkers were being played as GUR because they were all washed out. They have already shipped in a ton of new sand and are working on getting them back ASAP.

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played Southern Dunes yesterday. Everything except the greens were perfect. They punched a few weeks ago and I'd say they need another week or so.

They are punching again tomorrow! This summer pkg is becoming useless because the greens are always punched!

How long have the greens been taking to recover? I was hoping to play it for the first time on my birthday (end of the month)

Driver - Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5˚ AD-DI 6s
3W - Taylormade 2016 M1 15˚
3H -Nike Sasquatch Sumo 2
4-P - Nike Vapor Pro Modus 120 Stiff
Wedges - Nike Engage Square 52˚ 56˚ Dual Sole 60˚
Putter - Nike Method 001
Ball - Nike RZN Platinum
Bag - Nike Vapor Air Hybrid Carry

Twitter - @CoreyMilstein
Instagram - @CoreyMilstein

Played Maryvale (grand Canyon) in the mens club yesterday. The greens are the best I've played on all summer. there are still some bare spots in the fairway but with all the rain we've gotten its coming along great. Bunkers were being played as GUR because they were all washed out. They have already shipped in a ton of new sand and are working on getting them back ASAP.

Hey Blake, has the pace of play improved at GC/Maryvale yet?? Only reason I haven't been back since the re-opening.

Played Southern Dunes yesterday. Everything except the greens were perfect. They punched a few weeks ago and I'd say they need another week or so.

They are punching again tomorrow! This summer pkg is becoming useless because the greens are always punched!

How long have the greens been taking to recover? I was hoping to play it for the first time on my birthday (end of the month)

2 weeks they are playable but not good, 3 weeks they are better.

Hey Blake, has the pace of play improved at GC/Maryvale yet?? Only reason I haven't been back since the re-opening.

I usually am in the first 4/5 groups out in the morning and have never played in more than 4 hours. Not sure what it's like later in the day.

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

I played SD on sunday everything was perfect. It was one month from prior month, but they punched on monday the day after I played... so i would say end of this month should be back to perfect. Have fun my man. I love that place so much

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

I played SD on sunday everything was perfect. It was one month from prior month, but they punched on monday the day after I played... so i would say end of this month should be back to perfect. Have fun my man. I love that place so much

Awesome. Glad to hear. Been wanting to play it, but haven't had a chance to get down there. August 27th can't get here quickly enough!

Putter - Nike Method 001
Ball - Nike RZN Platinum

Twitter - @CoreyMilstein

Do courses punch monthly in Phoenix?

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

The condition and pace at GCU has been great this summer. The greens are awesome. For anytime of year. I played early 4 times and always finished around 4 hours.

Played Quintero 8/6 and the greens were amazing. Still not a fan of the layout but the fairways were also perfect for the most part. The problem with the greens is no one fixed ball marks. They are so nice that there are little craters everywhere. But man were they nice.

TItleist 917 D3 Diamana D+ 70s
Ping G 25 15* Diamana D+ 70s
Callaway Apex 20* Kuro Kage
Titleist 714 CB 4-PW DG s300
SM5 56/60 M Grind
Studio Select Newport 2

Have the greens softened at all? I played at the end of March and they were like concrete. Rolled true, but could hardly make a ball mark.

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

Southern Dunes greens still recovering, probably 2 weeks away but really not too bad. Everything else was good, fairways good, not fitm and fast butnot wet at all. Saw no one on a 2 hour round for $35.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Wickenberg Ranch + Legend Trail this weekend.

Second time out at Wickenberg, still really like the course and the conditions are pretty great for the summer time. Greens were not as quick as the practice green but still rolled true. I am not a huge fan of the layout of the par 5s but the rest of the course makes up for it.

Legend trail was okay. Quite a few of the greens were a little beat up. Too many blind shots (no yardage book, gps, or map on scorecard) for me but overall not too bad.

Have the greens softened at all? I played at the end of March and they were like concrete. Rolled true, but could hardly make a ball mark.

They softened a little bit. You still can't fly your ball to the pin. I usually play a half of club short of the yardage.

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

Do courses punch monthly in Phoenix?

They try to do a lot maintenance in the summer so they can do as little as possible in the winter.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Played ASWU Karsten on Sunday 8/14. Greens are very good - soft/receptive but rolling very smoothly. Fairways are fine but the tee boxes aren't great. I've never played it so it's been on my list to visit. I kind of like the course. The last 4 holes are a good finish.

Eagle Mountain on Monday 8/15. Tees and Greens are really good. Greens are firm and smooth. Fairways are pretty typical for Eagle Mountain, in my experience. Patchy with a lot of maintenance.

Desert Mountain and Quintero this weekend.

Both courses were in the best shape of any courses I have played this summer. Greens were quick and pure and fairways were green and not soaking wet.

I know Quintero gets a lot of hate here, but I got a deal for $35 all in this morning so I figured I would give it a shot. I think a lot of the hate is well founded for the most part. I enjoy an elevated tee box into a par 3 every now and then but does a course really need 4? Also a 500 yard par 5 that asks for a 180 yard club off the tee followed by 300+ uphill to an elevated green is goofy to say the least. Although the layout was not what I expect from a golf course the conditions nearly make up for it.

TPC Stadium with a teeoff.com deal yesterday. Haven't been since the reno, liked the changes. In mediocre shape to be honest, typical summer desert conditions wet with some bare spots. Greens were very inconsistent throughout the round, some very fast and others borderline slow. Flew around in 3.30, and that was after getting bogged down behind a group of first time golfers, the marshal held them up on 9 to get the three groups behind them to play through, so kudos to that marshal. Just a reminder of why I'll only play with a discount tee time out there, fun layout, great to play where the pros play, but severely overpriced.

Hey guys, just checking back, anyone play Southern Dunes over the weekend for a status report? Also any tips or advice on how the course plays? Booking a time Saturday to play it first time for my birthday. Thanks!

Putter - Nike Method 001
Ball - Nike RZN Platinum

Twitter - @CoreyMilstein

Hey guys, just checking back, anyone play Southern Dunes over the weekend for a status report? Also any tips or advice on how the course plays? Booking a time Saturday to play it first time for my birthday. Thanks!

Still recovering from last punch with some bumpiness and sand but fine.

I'll be back out this weekend 1 or 2 times and expect it to be almost normal

Played Sewailo this weekend with the golf boards. Had a blast!

The course itself is pretty damn good. There are a few weird holes and not a fan of the artificial waterfalls but really enjoyed it. Greens rolled very true but on the slower side. Top Notch facility.

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

Played Saturday, 8/20, basically perfect conditions except some bumpiness to the greens. Not sure they will get to smooth by this weekend, but they were playable. Bunkers were great - decent sand, raked, perhaps as good as I have seen in AZ.

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

Played Saturday, 8/20, basically perfect conditions except some bumpiness to the greens. Not sure they will get to smooth by this weekend, but they were playable. Bunkers were great - decent sand, raked, perhaps as good as I have seen in AZ.

The conditions were great, on Friday when I played, with the exception of the bumpiness and a bit of sand on the greens. By the coming weekend, they will likely be good because they are supposed to blow the greens and roll them as per normal.

If anyone else wants to repeat what I said in a different manner, please do?

The conditions were great, on Friday when I played, with the exception of the bumpiness and a bit of sand on the greens. By the coming weekend, they will likely be good because they are supposed to blow the greens and roll them as per normal.

If anyone else wants to repeat what I said in a different manner, please do?

If you can say it one more different way that would be helpful.. Anything I should know heading out there?

Putter - Nike Method 001
Ball - Nike RZN Platinum

Twitter - @CoreyMilstein

Bring bug spray to dunes. I actually wear pants there year round.

Legacy today, $13 at 10 am. Course was in good shape tee to green, greens rolling pretty great. Crusty bunkers though, recovering from the microburst still

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Legend Trail worth the $20 on Golfnow, but pretty poor conditions. Fairways were OK, some bare patches in the fairways and rough, greens spotty, bunkers decent.

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

They softened a little bit. You still can't fly your ball to the pin. I usually play a half of club short of the yardage.

If you are talking about GCU yes they have. I think they are very good. I stopped shots the last few times. The rain has helped. They are in great shape.

TItleist 917 D3 Diamana D+ 70s
Ping G 25 15* Diamana D+ 70s
Callaway Apex 20* Kuro Kage
Titleist 714 CB 4-PW DG s300
SM5 56/60 M Grind
Studio Select Newport 2

Copper canyon is worth the 1hr drive from North Scottsdale!

Layout-forgiving forgiving while still being interesting. Not typical desert target golf. Small Rolling hills surrounded by houses for the most part. I played from 6400 yds, tips are around 6800. Par 72.

Design-Schmidt curley is 3 for 3 in my book! I love southern dunes, cc & oak Quarry (ca)

Conditions-best in the Valley this summer by far! The bermuda at cc looked a lot better than last week's pga tour stop on Greensboro. I was impressed that this place has such a clean look if you don't keep it straight (ex the desert had no weeds, either gravel or small cactus/plants)

Pace of play-excellent

Value-great $25

Greens-in great shape. Some undulations. Probably rolling around 9-10

Tee boxes-perfectly square and manicured

Troon golf never disappoints!

The ratings on golf advisor are spot on copper canyon!