2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Oceans Eleven Confessions to break a man's heart....

Matt J

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's another beautiful morning here in good old Nova Scotia, t minus 1h20m to tee time :)

Oh KIC, I brought some PEDs(lefties) to the course yesterday, I gues you were right about it haha ;)

Happy Friday Everone :D

Have good round, sir!

....and a Happy Friday to you!

Well the weather was the only good thing today lol, stopped keeping score after the 7th hole haha. Was really windy on the first 10-12 holes before if finally died off. I couldn't find a consistent shot/swing all day, two way misses all over the place. Oh well, better luck next week :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Well, I needed 2 more shafts to shaft up my 3 new forged VIP wedges

when I finally get back home. Buying shafts 1 or 2 at a time is just not

economical so I bought 8, lol. So my cupeth will run over with wedge

shafts......but hey they were cheap and include grips too. You to scroll

down to see the shafts.

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Edit: I actually paid less than the price listed. he had them on

sale for $31.49. Hey, a penny saved...............

@Q

Yeah, but Styx is from Chicago. Go figure

And Chicago is from Chicago. Although once Terry Kath passed and that wooose Peter Cetera took over.....

Chicago was originally called Chicago Transit Authority and the CTA had a lawsuit going over that. So they shortened it to Chicago. Heard that on Kasey Kasum some years ago amazing what trivial information one retains

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Papa, indentions aren't necessarily from being bent incorrectly. With softer forgings it's just par of the deal. The brass inserts on the bar are soft, but they still can leave marks, just how it works. The ferrules would be more of a concern as it sounds like they might have been rebuilt. Check the lofts and lies, swingweight, and epoxy the ferrules back tight. I wouldn't think some dents should be a deal breaker. Check the swingweights and the shafts clisely.

No I realize that marks from bending can happen especially with forged irons, but there was just something that seemed a little off with how they look. screams out to me that he had them rebuilt and I have no idea if the person did a good job or not. I guess it comes down to trusting what is in your hand while playing and I'm not sure if I would be able to get over it.

It does not usually happen if the person takes their time and tapes the hosels and uses a copper liner on the inside of their bending bar. I have scratched or marked a couple but usually if one takes their time it will not happen

These are pretty interesting, fully adjustable, oddly shaped, Milled wedges lol

http://www.golfwrx.c...-milled-wedges/

I saw those. Like I said in the thread, good on him for trying something different. However, at $400 a pop, I can't see many people buying them. It's hard to see how these will be anything other than a flop at that price, regardless of how innovative they are.

I agree, parts of them could see action in real world uses possible. I emailed Tom Wishon one time about an idea I had for a wedge with a removable sole plate to change the bounce and grind on a wedge without changing wedges but when he looked into it someone already had the patent for it. I don't know why someone doesn't make something like that because it would be awesome, have different sole plates for your wedge/s for different conditions without changing out your favorite wedge/s. :)

Because it makes good common sense and they would sell less complete wedges. You know a few years back T-Bag sold wedges that you change the faces on with two Allen screws. I do not think they offer them any more

@Q

And Chicago is from Chicago. Although once Terry Kath passed and that wooose Peter Cetera took over.....

Chicago was originally called Chicago Transit Authority and the CTA had a lawsuit going over that. So they shortened it to Chicago. Heard that on Kasey Kasum some years ago amazing what trivial information one retains

I first saw them in concert before I ever heard of them and yes they were CTA

and they were just an opening act for more famous groups until they became

famous on their own. Yes, I'm old.

Lots of groups started out as openers for the bigger groups and ended up

being better than the final acts, lol.

I remember seeing Creedence Clearwater as the opener for Iron Butterfly

and guess who was better by a long shot. Same for Grand Funk Railroad.

They were a tough act to follow and soon became the headliners, just

like Creedence and CTA.

I think when I first saw CTA they were the opening act for Cream. Cream

was funny; every concert I saw Ginger Baker would puke about halfway

through and became known for his puking at every concert. Clapton and

Bruce would just try to entertain everyone while stage attendants came

in to clean up the mess.

Well, I needed 2 more shafts to shaft up my 3 new forged VIP wedges

when I finally get back home. Buying shafts 1 or 2 at a time is just not

economical so I bought 8, lol. So my cupeth will run over with wedge

shafts......but hey they were cheap and include grips too. You to scroll

down to see the shafts.

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Edit: I actually paid less than the price listed. he had them on

sale for $31.49. Hey, a penny saved...............

Club Hoeing and club tinkering the Stu way---- I am a hopefully good influence on people seems so

@Q

like Creedence and CTA.

in to clean up the mess.

LOL I can remember when Jimi Hendrix was the opening act for of all bands The Monkees in fact they booed him off the stage in Charlotte

I kind of want to shaft up some heads. I have laying around. I know club making is an art sorta but it's not rocket science to do a decent job. Like you said stu, take he time to focus on the small stuff and it comes out well done. Swing weighting is where it gets tricky. Especially if you don't have a true scale. Most of my builds I weigh and measure everything and use an online estimator and it actually came out pretty darn close (all clubs were within d2/d3). Some on these boards would argue that I did it wrong because they should all be the same but I have a feeling that 98% of the players here cannot notice that one point. I can't. I know what feels right and that's my goal. I don't care if that is d whatever.

Too many people are striving for a specific swing weight and that's when clubmaking gets difficult IMO. When I first started looking into my first build I got great advice from Wishon and a couple of other guys who told me to try and kee them consistent and not chase a specific weight. Maybe I just got lucky that I measured, cut and glued and they all came out pretty good and got "heavier" feeling as I got to my wedges like I wanted. Didn't have to use tip weights or anything.

Forever Changing at this point.......

@Q

Yep that was on their first album I still have. Although I kept the original cover the albums are new. I have done that a lot actually.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

@Q

like Creedence and CTA.

in to clean up the mess.

Saw Chicago outdoors back in 75 along with Boz Scaggs and the Beach Boys. Quite an eclectic concert.

Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

Shot an 84 today, 8 pars 3 doubles, grrr. Driver was decent with a few squirrely ones, but I hit the FGs well, had a bunch of 'those' ball strikes so that made the round fun. Coulda been a decent round if it weren't for the doubles; one was a pull draw driver into the trees, and the other two were catching too much ball out of greenside bunkers.

I too managed to get out for a mid afternoon round as I only had a 1/2 day of 'professional development'.

Highlights of the round. A 'ten-some' (you read that right) screaming and yelling like drunking idiots after every shot, getting stuck behind a five-some of seniors that appeared to be engaged in a money match who had fallen behind the five-some in front by two holes, and following a two-some that featured a club thrower that had no business throwing clubs. It was cold, windy and wet. Needless to say, the round was a test of my mental fortitude. I played a two ball scramble to stay sane. The last few holes I lay on the ground and stared at the grey sky for ten minutes at a time as the round crawled to conclusion.

Could be worse.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

I kind of want to shaft up some heads. I have laying around. I know club making is an art sorta but it's not rocket science to do a decent job. Like you said stu, take he time to focus on the small stuff and it comes out well done. Swing weighting is where it gets tricky. Especially if you don't have a true scale. Most of my builds I weigh and measure everything and use an online estimator and it actually came out pretty darn close (all clubs were within d2/d3). Some on these boards would argue that I did it wrong because they should all be the same but I have a feeling that 98% of the players here cannot notice that one point. I can't. I know what feels right and that's my goal. I don't care if that is d whatever.

Too many people are striving for a specific swing weight and that's when clubmaking gets difficult IMO. When I first started looking into my first build I got great advice from Wishon and a couple of other guys who told me to try and kee them consistent and not chase a specific weight. Maybe I just got lucky that I measured, cut and glued and they all came out pretty good and got "heavier" feeling as I got to my wedges like I wanted. Didn't have to use tip weights or anything.

Well said Papa.

Definitely a bit of 'art' and a bit of 'science' when it comes to building a set of 'winners'.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

I too managed to get out for a mid afternoon round as I only had a 1/2 day of 'professional development'.

Highlights of the round. A 'ten-some' (you read that right) screaming and yelling like drunking idiots after every shot, getting stuck behind a five-some of seniors that appeared to be engaged in a money match who had fallen behind the five-some in front by two holes, and following a two-some that featured a club thrower that had no business throwing clubs. It was cold, windy and wet. Needless to say, the round was a test of my mental fortitude. I played a two ball scramble to stay sane. The last few holes I lay on the ground and stared at the grey sky for ten minutes at a time as the round crawled to conclusion.

Could be worse.

Damn PD, sounds like you got stuck behind 'the worst of WRX'. You should post that on one of the numerous pace of play forums ;-) Which irons did you play?

Could be worse.

Damn PD, sounds like you got stuck behind 'the worst of WRX'. You should post that on one of the numerous pace of play forums ;-) Which irons did you play?

Definitely an interesting experience. I kept thinking, "I could be at work, I could be at work, I could be at work". I was able to produce some nice swings and a few really good up and downs under the conditions so I'll look to that for encouragement.

My usual hybrid and wood set-up and I carried two 8, 9 and PW's (FG's and 560s).

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Except for 1 guest, I'm alone on here. All caught up, some 20+ pages.

Hit a large bucket yesterday, (125 balls) it's wise not to overdo it, although, as of this late afternoon, I realized I have muscles I forgot I had.

I'll be playing this year, finally, just not as much as the last ten years. Instead of a membership, I bought a package at a local driving range that has a complete set-up for short game, 300+ spots turf range and a 11 hole executive course (9 par 3, 2 par 4)

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

Hit a large bucket yesterday, (125 balls) it's wise not to overdo it, although, as of this late afternoon, I realized I have muscles I forgot I had.

I'll be playing this year, finally, just not as much as the last ten years. Instead of a membership, I bought a package at a local driving range that has a complete set-up for short game, 300+ spots turf range and a 14 hole executive course (9 par 3, 2 par 4)

Welcome back Mdg!! I'm glad you're gonna get some playing time.

I'll be playing this year, finally, just not as much as the last ten years. Instead of a membership, I bought a package at a local driving range that has a complete set-up for short game, 300+ spots turf range and a 14 hole executive course (9 par 3, 2 par 4)

Thanks Rad,

My Precious is stabilized, water damage repaired, I'm good to go. Although I'll probably get more practice in than actual playing, at least until mid to late June. Then, I'll see.....

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

Thanks Rad,

My Precious is stabilized, water damage repaired, I'm good to go. Although I'll probably get more practice in than actual playing, at least until mid to late June. Then, I'll see.....

I'm just glad to hear you'll have your clubs in your hands again; hitting balls.

I have said this before-- I have a swing weight machine but I never use it on my personal stuff. I weigh it up for me. Good example I learned the game with old heavier wedges with heavier shafts. Wedges today are made lighter to start with most except Miura and Homma. So were the irons. If you look at my older stuff I have absolutely no lead tape on like my 1962 FC-4000s or my 50s vintage Macgregor Dual purpose sand wedge or any of the vintage wedges for that matter. Older Hogan wedges even into the 80s were heavy stock because Mr Hogan designed them that way and so were Hogan irons. Mr Hogan's irons that are in the museum (Macgregor) had lead tape on them and he hand tuned them for him with quite a bit of lead tape. He was a "bare bones engineer" in his playing days. All of those old guys were. I am of the school that I could give 2 hoots less if my wedges are say D8 and my 6 iron is D3 and my 5 iron is D4. I just finished tuning my Hopkins wedges a few weeks ago and they have a lot of lead tape on them and I have absolutely no idea nor do I want to know the swing weight on them. Personally I can not stand a club that is tip weighted or "slugged in the hosel" as the old timers call it. Nothing wrong with that if it does well for you. I can usually tell if a club is slugged by picking it up and I have witnesses to that fact. Actually when Rad's Pings arrived here I took a few swings with the 9 and PW on the mat here and told him before I ever broke them down that they were tip weighted and I was correct when I tore them down. My friend the Miura dealer who is a great craftsman does not like tip weights either but he also hates lead tape. He plays with shaft weights and tip flexes to get a club working correctly. Now butt weighting works for some but not for me. I have to feel that club head and know where it is at for me it is all timing and feel.

With all of that being said on someone else's clubs if they want them a certain weight I can tune them conventially for them with the swing weight machine and no lead tape. I like the way you are going about tuning and setting your clubs for your game

Thug those are the flex rating numbers. Basically, depending on the frequency in cpm's at different lengths, these Royal Precision or Rifle system flex ratings came about. For instance, you can check their chart and if a club 38 inches long has a frequency of 293 then it's a regular 5.0 shaft. But, if it were to register a frequency of 308 it would be a 6.5 or X-stiff. I think it goes from 3.0 to 7.5 in .5 increments although you usually hear of talk between 5.0 and 7.0 as that's "playable" by most men.

Here's a thread with some links to some of the charts:

http://www.golfwrx.c...requency-chart/

It doesn't take into effect the profile of the the different stiffness in the tip, middle, and butt section of the shaft and the resulting kick point. Generally a shaft with a kick point closer to the butt will "feel" stiffer and vice versa, a stiff shaft with a low kick point will "feel" softer.

You'll want to go to something stiffer to hold the ball down. I'd definitely try and find demos and hit them on a monitor. That's about the only way to tell other than to try and judge the trajectory which can work, but is hard to compare a lot of different models.

I have the set of DG S300 shafts that PD pulled from the VIPs and sent back to me. Would those flight my FG59s a little lower? I do recall them feeling a lot firmer than these TX105s. Maybe I will put them in my backup set..

Depends on how stiff the tip is and the club head design in how the weight is distributed in that head. The stiffer the tip the lower the ball flight is. Since you have the shafts you can experiment. Put the 8 iron shaft in say the 7 iron I know it will be shorter but just humor me. If it was tipped right to begin with it will be stiffer than the stock length 7 iron shaft. That is called hard tipping. Remember different brand of irons have different weight characteristics. That is what you run into using take out shafts. I would have to gram out the weights on the heads to compare. I would put the set of S-300s in your 59s like they are and try them and go from there. Never ever believe what a shaft band says because you do not know how it has been tipped. Besides you can put any shaft band on a shaft I have two boxes full of shaft labels. I would never do this but I could put a Rifle 6.0 band on a R-300 and most people would not know the difference. That was a little extreme difference because anyone that messes with clubs could tell the difference right off the bat by the steps. But you will have to experiment around and see

Could be worse.

Think if you had had a full 'professional development' day you would of chopped that darn tree down. Think like one of our great presidents D.D. Eisenhower. Although his attempt went for naught.

Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

Could be worse.

No Viagra for me bro. Just sayin.'

Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

One of the reasons why I liked the old Royal Precision/Rifle shafts. They labeled their shafts with a CPM label so one knew what the numbers were, regardless of the shaft band. Were ahead of their time in that regard. Assuming they were accurate, not having a frequency analyzer to verify. The first real build I ever did was using Rifles in a set of SE 600C iron heads. Referencing Golfsmith's Practical Clubmaking Program book by Tom Wishon. He discussed frequency sorting shafts. So when I went to the store to acquire the shafts thats what I did. Did an approximation of flighting, softer in long irons (4.5), regular in mid (5.0) and stiffer in the short irons (5.5). Did I play any better because of this? Probably not. But that wasn't the point of the exercise. Those were a nice set of clubs, should never have sold them for next to nothing.

Because my irons are longer than typical, 6 iron length of 38.5" is my benchmark, the SW creep upwards into the D4 - D8 range depending. Don't futz much with SW's, not especially sensitive to the them, or so far down the list of club fitting considerations as to be relatively inconsequential. Its uncanny how, without any direct calculating or scaling of SW, a typical build (reshaft) falls in the D4 - D6 range. Which is close enough for me. Sometimes I check for verification (if I think about), usually I don't bother other than out of curiosity. Perhaps do to playing a variety of classic irons, one is sort of forced into a "play them as you find them" frame of my mind. Other than extensions and grips on those that will get some degree of play time.

Length, overall club weight (shaft weights in the +/- 100g. range), bend points (i.e tip stiffness), then shaft flex, in that order are more important to how an iron feels than SW.

Stu, you mention those old Hogan wedges. Sort of stumbled into them. But they do feel really nice, just the right amount of heft and balance. Keep finding and trying out various wedges on the cheap. But they just don't feel quite the same as the the old, sort of dinged up, Hogan BeCu Special SI. Have full confidence with it, and I have no idea what the SW is. Another is an old SE 675 SW with a Rifle spinner shaft. Had it for years, just feels right. Can easily put either one in the bag and its just like old times.

I have become intrigued by the MOI concept. At least the "poor man's" version using 3/8" progressions. PD posted about this, and supplied some details, a few pages back. The concept based on progressive swing weighting rather than to a fixed number. I would like to give this a go at some future point. The modern irons are being jettisoned, and shopping for something different (know the direction I'm headed). Wouldn't mind finding something that would require a reshaft. If so, may try the MOI method. Will I be a better player with them? YTBD, probably not. But again, that's not necessarily the point of the exercise.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I've spent the passed 3/4 years playing mostly executive courses, they really help to sharpen your short game for sure!! Welcome back M :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Could be worse.

Nothing worse then waiting around to hit shots, glad to hear you got out though. :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2