I don't know what they charge at Kiva Dunes but I wouldn't miss it

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Also consider driving 1 hr and playing the two RTJ courses in MOBILE ! Both awesome and a good price

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Good affordable courses to play in March in Gulf Shores Alabama?

The best value in the Gulf Shores area is Gulf Shores Golf Club. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but it is a fantastic golf course. Our regular group goes down to Gulf Shores for a long weekend every year and play Kiva, Penninsula, Gulf Shores Golf Club and Craft Farms. GSGC can hold its own with any on that list.

As others have mentioned, Kiva is fantastic but spendy. If you can swing it, play it.

As cardoustie mentioned, there are two RTJ sites in the general vicinity but Lakewood is much closer. It's in Fairhope on the same side of the bay as Gulf Shores. About a 40 minute drive. It's a really great course. Not sure about rates without a Trail Card though.

As others have mentioned, Kiva is fantastic but spendy. If you can swing it, play it.

As cardoustie mentioned, there are two RTJ sites in the general vicinity but Lakewood is much closer. It's in Fairhope on the same side of the bay as Gulf Shores. About a 40 minute drive. It's a really great course. Not sure about rates without a Trail Card though.

It's been a while since I have played Lakewood, but I want to say it was right around $100.00 without the Trail Card. It's $86.00 with the card, so that seems about right.

It's been a while since I have played Lakewood, but I want to say it was right around $100.00 without the Trail Card. It's $86.00 with the card, so that seems about right.

It's more like 130 with a trail card. It's private and neither course is designed by Robert Trent Jones. The site was bought by the parent company of the trail for the hotel.

They're both really good courses though. I'm a fan of dogwood.

It's more like 130 with a trail card. It's private and neither course is designed by Robert Trent Jones. The site was bought by the parent company of the trail for the hotel.

They're both really good courses though. I'm a fan of dogwood.

Did you mean $130 without the card? I last played out there last spring and it was $86 with the card and that is the price that is shown on the website for the trail card currently. Because of Lakewood's status you can only use the card a few times per year. I think Ross Bridge in Birmingham is the same deal. This is better than it used to be. Many years ago you could not play the course at all unless you were either a member of Lakewood or staying at The Grand Hotel.

This thread reminds me that I need to renew my trail card for this year.

Good affordable courses to play in March in Gulf Shores Alabama?

The best value in the Gulf Shores area is Gulf Shores Golf Club. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but it is a fantastic golf course. Our regular group goes down to Gulf Shores for a long weekend every year and play Kiva, Penninsula, Gulf Shores Golf Club and Craft Farms. GSGC can hold its own with any on that list.

I'll echo this. It's been 15+ years since I last played down there, but GSGC was the best value from what I could remember. I played Craft Farms, another course right off the main road near Foley that I cannot remember the name of, it had a short and tricky par 4 running parallel to the main road, and Lost Key in my visits there. I remember enjoying Lost Key, was somewhat underwhelmed with Craft Farms, can't say much about the other if I cannot even remember the name, and always enjoyed GSGC.

I've played Craft Farms and Penninsula. I didn't get the chance to play Kiva because it was under renovation. I enjoyed Craft Farms a lot better than Penninsula, but that is just my opinion. Lakewood is another great option, but pricy unless you have a trail card. Maglolia Grove is an hour out from Gulf Shores, but from what I've been told it's worth the drive and it's very affordable from Trail Card members. I'm heading down in 2 weeks and I plan on playing Magnolia Grove, Cotton Creek which is Craft Farms, and maybe give Penninsula another shot. I would also suggest the Greenville RTJ site as well if you are heading down I65

I would also suggest the Greenville RTJ site as well if you are heading down I65.

On top of this great post, don't skip over the suggestion to play Cambrian Ridge in Greenville. I think it's a grossly underrated Trail site. I'm not saying they don't get busy, because they do, it's just not mentioned much but it's a real good site.

• Like 1

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

I would also suggest the Greenville RTJ site as well if you are heading down I65.

On top of this great post, don't skip over the suggestion to play Cambrian Ridge in Greenville. I think it's a grossly underrated Trail site. I'm not saying they don't get busy, because they do, it's just not mentioned much but it's a real good site.

Yep. One of my favorites. The elevation changes are incredible.

Not mentioned much probably only because it's in the middle of nowhere. I've heard great things about it though. Definitely have to work that in on the way down the beach sometime.

Not mentioned much probably only because it's in the middle of nowhere. I've heard great things about it though. Definitely have to work that in on the way down the beach sometime.

I agree with you about why it may not be mentioned much. It's definitely not your destination spot BUT it's definitely solid enough to get strong local play (by local I mean that it's not uncommon for folks to drive down from Montgomery to play there even with Capital Hill close by for them) and for sure a spot that is worth stopping to play on the way somewhere else (my father-in-law and I stop here EVERY year on the way to a tournament we play in Pensacola). Hell, it's a part of the package deal my group and I have set up for our trip next weekend to Mobile (stopping at Cambrian Ridge to play 18 on the way there and then stopping to play The Judge on the way back to Atlanta).

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

I've played every trail course except the one in Dothan, AL. Cambrian Ridge is my favorite of them all. There are three 9 hole courses (Canyon, Sherling and Loblolly). If you play, make sure to play the Canyon/Sherling 18.

Also, several people here have mentioned Magnolia Grove. It's fine, but I don't know that I would drive all the way from the beach for it. You would end up driving by some equally good courses to get to Magnolia Grove. Also, the only way you are getting there in an hour is if there is absolutely NO traffic heading up 59 or the Beach Express back to the interstate. With normal traffic, it is closer to an hour and a half.

I agree. Cambrian doesn't get enough love on the trail because it is somewhat out of the way. That's a good thing though. It's never crowded and always in good shape because of low traffic.

If you play magnolia grove soon, you'll see it in the best shape it will be in for the next 6 months. They overseed the fairways and tees. With the weather they've had, I'm sure the bermuda has "popped" and it looks as good as it can look. I always loved playing the crossings in March.

Which course would you suggest playing? I'm heading down next week for the beach and gonna play Magnolia Grove and Crabrain Ridge. Which 2 courses do you suggest in Greenville and what course do y'all suggest in Mobile?

Play the Canyon/Sherling 18 in Greenville. Loblolly is nice, but not on the level of those two. Crossings is the better of the two courses at Magnolia Grove. At the beach, play Gulf Shores Golf Club, Kiva Dunes, Peninsula and last Craft Farms if you have time.

On the way down to the beach you have Rock Creek and Lakewood Golf Club in Fairhope and Point Clear, respectively. Play golf at Lakewood and then go enjoy dinner and cocktails at The Washouse Restaurant (just a little further down Scenic 98) or Jessie's Place in Magnolia Springs (further away, but awesome food).

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what they charge at Kiva Dunes but I wouldn't miss it

Just played Kiva a few days ago and my opinion is 'meh'. Nothing spectacular. Not sure why everyone seems to think it's so amazing. The conditions were pretty good, but the layout was extremely boring. Every hole looks basically the same. Needless to say I was expecting much more.

• 5 years later...

Old thread, but I played Lakewood in Point Clear today and it was unbelievable. Stayed at hotel across the street and the whole experience was A+. Played w 3 gents about 10-15 years my senior who outdrove me by 50 yards every time if I'm understating it, all clearly scratch or plus. They were nice as could be, tolerating my short but straight game (hey at least I play fast and pick up). Had a fantastic time. Course has plenty of sand, not a lot of water, and a fair amount of elevation. Was difficult but not hard for anyone of a fair skill level (I've got the accuracy of a single digit player but the distance of a 20, too young to be so short but whatever).

If you stay at the hotel, the club does not treat you badly for not being a member. On the contrary, they were abundantly nice.

I would return again and again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All the Craft Farms courses are solid. 

Does anyone know the status of Lost Key? I've only played it once and it was at least 15 years ago. I liked it. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS