2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

George Gankas

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is kicking up no good for a serial life hip spinner? I look at the power these guys get and the rotational speed, but I just always look like im chasing a bunker shot with horrid hip spin and flat shoulders.

Need to settle a on a swing this season as I'm not rebuilding in April lol

Youtube golf instruction video
only shows a ball distance or direction
of about 3 inches

Is kicking up no good for a serial life hip spinner? I look at the power these guys get and the rotational speed, but I just always look like im chasing a bunker shot with horrid hip spin and flat shoulders.

Need to settle a on a swing this season as I'm not rebuilding in April lol

The way George explains it, if you don't kick up you'll have a lower ball flight, but it can certainly be playable (Jim Furyk perhaps)

I think the real answer would be trying to figure out why you're spinning. If you look at what Dan was saying about a swing of mine that he posted a page or two back, I was hanging back and spinning, and kicking up isn't going to help there, more lateral motion was needed. That's my understanding anyway.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

Daniel:

I think it would be tough to be spinning the hips too crazy if your first move from the top is that "out and around" move with the lead knee while going into flexion with the right.

It is definitely a very different move than hip spinning, which I did forever (leading me to getting my arms further stuck behind me and steep). The "kick up" happens post transition, but will lead you towards kicking up into the ball (humping) if the left leg hasn't cleared around.

That's why I love "freezers". That drill has fixed my transition by making me slow down the move from the top. When your backswing position is held, and you finally transition properly, you can hit the ball a decent length. For me, it was actually further than my normal distance.

It really knocks the hit impulse out of you.

bph:

I reached out to George for a quick look on my IG. He responded and gave me a drill to work on. I did an online lesson.

After that, I flew out there and spent two entire days with him. I had one lesson where he totally changed my concept of ball flight and plane.

He was gracious enough to let me watch all of his lessons those two days.

This last trip was the huge breakthrough, because I had been working so hard to get under plane. It was 7 weeks later. We'd stayed in touch with video updates to make sure I was on the right track.

I watched all of his lessons that day, as well. He loves talking golf swing and mechanics, amongst a million other things!

Joe:

His IG feed is loaded with them. Just look around.

If your backswing is a mess, he'll have you work up to the top in pieces. Once again, you'll see that on tons of his IG videos.

But once you're there, you stop. Full pause, then begin the downswing with the proper leg sequencing. For me, it elminated that urge to get my arms down to the ball as quickly as possible. I had a chronic "hit" move.

I still do, especially with the longer clubs, so it will take a lot of drills to fully eliminate that "hulk smash" urge.

I signed up this weekend and I think it is okay. There is some information that has not been public that I have enjoyed but I'm not sure it was worth the money. In my opinion one lesson with George would be work more than all of this video content. There is a lot of videos but it seems to be discussed in random order in the GG thread now that I look back.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Ventus Blue w/ Velocore+ 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Project X Denali 70x) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (RDX Smoke 85x)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
Odyssey   Jailbird Cruiser modified to regular. 34.6" w/ SuperStroke 3.0 17"/ 5g weights

I signed up this weekend and I think it is okay. There is some information that has not been public that I have enjoyed but I'm not sure it was worth the money. In my opinion one lesson with George would be work more than all of this video content. There is a lot of videos but it seems to be discussed in random order in the GG thread now that I look back.

Thank you for the review. I am interested in his content but with out anyway to really preview the site it is hard to pay for e full year upfront.

It's similar to his YouTube clips with some that are long and some that are short.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Ventus Blue w/ Velocore+ 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Project X Denali 70x) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (RDX Smoke 85x)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
Odyssey   Jailbird Cruiser modified to regular. 34.6" w/ SuperStroke 3.0 17"/ 5g weights

Ive always been such a "hitter" of the ball but have studying and practicing the moves from GG's YouTube and Insta and it seems to be coming together. My one question is what exactly is "flexion" of the right knee?

No way I could go to in person but he does offer full online lessons.

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

Gotcha. Wasn't sure if there was an interior or exterior rotation involved.

Here's me working on what I think GG is trying to teach.

Just to be clear, I don't know what GG teaches with respect to external rotation of the right leg. I was just answering the general question of what "flexion" of the knee means. It seems pretty clear he wants external of the left leg from what I've seen, and flexion of right knee, dunno if he also wants external rotation of right. I was just saying flexion of knee equals bending of knee.

That's exactly what I got. His video where he puts his hands against the pole while the hips open show that.

This kid absolutely hammers the ball with one of the steepest backswing motions i have ever seen, But with rotation and a bit of conscious shallowing move he shallows the club beautifully.

https://www.instagra...-by=ggswingtips

Iam going to correct myself and say he does not whole heartedly teach that rotation will %100 shallow the club as someone above me has posted he does teach a shallowing move with the arms. however

i believe he likes core rotation to be the dominant factor in doing so.

Rotation doesn't shallow the shaft. It seems like he wants the club shallowing first (which is the reason for steep BS) so that you can rotate hard after. The rotation occurs after the club has shallowed the club doesnt shallow because of rotation.

On the member site he speaks of natural shallowing and manipulated shallowing. The natural shallowing according to GG happens when the hands in the back swing position push away to the right/away from the target (or at least keeping them passive) whilst at the same time the left knee rotates externally and the right knee extends forward (squat). The move with the knees and pelvis creates an passive/automatic clock wise rotation of the forearms whilst at the same time getting the arms in front of the body.

The manipulated shallowing is simply a steep back swing and then manually rotate the arms clock wise to shallow them. He believes that the manipulated shallowing is inferior because it depends too much on timing.

https://www.instagra...m/p/-AYb7UCt1I/

But that above vid is exactly what I said earlier. I said rotation doesn't shallow the club, club has to shallow in order to rotate the way he wants. That video describes it. That's NOT an example of the pivot shallowing the club, that's an example of the pivot rotating as arms shallow club.

I've seen the original video, but what about this...it seems to contradict what he says about ER.

Youtube golf instruction video
only shows a ball distance or direction
of about 3 inches

He definitely does teach both methods of shallowing, depending on how often he sees a player. That wall drill is to get the player a feel for the hand path coming out and the club head shallowing behind the hands.

His preference is to let proper sequencing with the lower body take care of that shallowing with the arms doing nothing but remaining wide. That's how he got me to do it.

But for someone who is super steep and hasn't learned proper lower body sequence, especially someone who can't get out to see him regularly, he'll get the player to actually feel a little manual shallowing.

The key is not pulling the arms down, which jacks it all up. I've seen some players he teaches pull down from the top (my original problem), or begin yanking on it going down to the bottom of impact (usually because of too open a face and not enough rotation).

But if the player has some face control (face at 15-25 closed by P6), he can get them to remain pretty passive.

The IG video with Millet (tall kid on the wall) is showing a pull down move (death), then what the shoulders would do if the hands remained dead still (shoulders working over).

But as far as the hands go, when the lower body sequences correctly, the weight of that club head is going to act on those hands/arms, and a natural shallowing will occur, as long as width is maintained.

That's what he's discussing with that pole video.