2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

George Gankas

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The JW ASI thread has gone pretty much unscathed partly because JW is such a gentleman and the ASI is not a revolutionary different concept. The interesting thing with the GG thread is that GG himself has not posted. Can't imagine the uproar if he had.

Yeah, he's busy on the lesson tee. Booked up solid. Doubt he could care less what others think. Results are hard things to argue against.

The JW ASI thread has gone pretty much unscathed partly because JW is such a gentleman and the ASI is not a revolutionary different concept. The interesting thing with the GG thread is that GG himself has not posted. Can't imagine the uproar if he had.

The ASI thread had some looooong back and forths, especially involving the Gerry hogan trolls, that have since been deleted. This thread is weird because I don't think anyone is criticizing GG's teaching at all, there's just some misinterpretation about a very nuanced view regarding whether how how successful one can be going this alone.

The ASI thread had some looooong back and forths, especially involving the Gerry hogan trolls, that have since been deleted. This thread is weird because I don't think anyone is criticizing GG's teaching at all, there's just some misinterpretation about a very nuanced view regarding whether how how successful one can be going this alone.

Nuance is a three syllable word to some.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

Arafel, king of the good ol boys, can you post your swing up?

Why? So you can give advice and make it worse? I already pull it deep and inside, you'd probably tell to do it more like you did with that dude above.

I won't say a word if you don't want me to, just want to see it since I've never seen you post anything but goofy one sentence posts.

What really made the difference for me is his notion that the arms are transported by the pivot to impact. I could never understand the concept of passive arms and the late throw because of a faulty pivot, not because of what I did with the arms or hands. His explanation of how to correctly set up, pivot and club face closure finally resolved my early extension.

I hope that this thread can continue without personal attacks and without commercial information.

Jurr, for the record I wasn't passively aggressively trying to say this was a "young persons swing." I realized it might sound that way though. Your answer does shed some light and I can understand when you have big groups of students around it is just logistically easier to get more of them on the instagrams. I bet they want to be on it as well while some older students prefer not to be.

Why are so many of his students HS/college age? Is it just because, as a "cool golf guy," that's the niche he's chosen and/or enjoys it more or do older folks find it more difficult to implement his theories? I know this has come up before to some extent.

Maybe someone that's worked with him can provide some background.

See, what's funny is that people try to paint him with a brush, and that probably makes it easier to follow or discredit him.

The truth is he knows the swing, and can work around anything.

He posts a lot of younger people on his site because those are the students that he sees weekly. He mixes in older students, and I've watched lessons with a bunch of them.

Some guys are looking for short term work to get it around during a corporate tournament. Some guys are fathers of the kids he teaches. He's working within physical limitations on some of these people, and they are getting better, as well. They're not hitting 2:1 Trackman draws with 120 swing speed, but they're getting better.

But yeah, the majority of his students are top notch high school or college players. They're always around the range working, and he's got a scheduled routine for each of them to work through in between lessons.

I don't think the "average Joe" is going to go wrong with learning how to set up correctly, learning how to rotate through the shot a bit better, and figuring out how his grip strength matches up with a proper swing bottom.

Anyone see the video that he posted yesterday of the band attached to the door? Thought it was a really good visual of what he does not encourage. "Yanking the chain" and getting the clubhead outside my hands are my biggest faults

Have yet to try the drill, but it certainly looked interesting and like it could create a "good" feeling

Also saw a new YouTube video from that Gabe Writer guy. He confirmed that GG has some of the same thoughts as kelvin M on the swing just communicated differently. But doesn't his swing ideal really come down to that moving the left knee thing and keeping shoulders back?

Anyone see the video that he posted yesterday of the band attached to the door? Thought it was a really good visual of what he does not encourage. "Yanking the chain" and getting the clubhead outside my hands are my biggest faults

Have yet to try the drill, but it certainly looked interesting and like it could create a "good" feeling

Also saw a new YouTube video from that Gabe Writer guy. He confirmed that GG has some of the same thoughts as kelvin M on the swing just communicated differently. But doesn't his swing ideal really come down to that moving the left knee thing and keeping shoulders back?

I may be wrong here, but I believe that is the majority of it. GG says that most golfers stall and stand up to get to impact. That's where I think his teaching philosophy comes in specifically with the left knee. I really enjoyed the videos that Gabe put up, I think there is a great deal of information in those videos that can be used.

Having tried a few of his different swing drills and a range session, flaring the left foot out at address seems to help with my rotation during the downswing. I still fire with my arms from the top, but when I focus on leaving my arms at the top, it feels completely different and shallows me out.

someone correct me if I am wrong. Leaving the arms at the top of the swing while you rotate the lower body, then when the left knee points at the target, your hands should have "dropped into the slot" (shallowing the shaft) because of the lower body rotation you can fire at the ball.

Jordan Spieth's swing has a lot in common with GG's model swing:

Close-up view- Left knee rotates around to target with opening of hips, and then pelvis extension kick-up

It's a pivot-driven swing with the pivot squaring the club face. There is no attempt to 'time' the release of the hands/wrists release through impact. This should = more consistent results.

[media=]

[/media]

Close-up view- Left knee rotates around to target with opening of hips, and then pelvis extension kick-up

[media=]

[/media]

It's a pivot-driven swing with the pivot squaring the club face. There is no attempt to 'time' the release of the hands/wrists release through impact. This should = more consistent results.

That is a great video, it does seem to show some similarity between his move in the downswing to what Jordan does.

Has anyone been able to find some drills to accurately practice his downswing move? Ie. sitting in to the left side while externally rotating the left knee while leaving the hands up? And then firing through?

Just go to his IG and YouTube. He shows slow motion work where arms freeze at top, has Tristan Gretzky use a bucket between the legs so he doesn't fire his right side out if external rotation early and so on. The exageratted slow motion work feels strange, which as you know, probably means it's correct/ working. As a lifelong OTTr with no concept of how to move the body despite many lessons its really been a gamechanger since, physically, there was no reason I couldn't swing like this before. I just didn't understand how it felt or how to get there. I think the result is very similar to what KM promotes as far as keeping hips externally rotated and shaft shallowunh naturally from top with no pull down.

Yes, I am now a GG convert/groupie haha.

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

That is a great video, it does seem to show some similarity between his move in the downswing to what Jordan does.

Has anyone been able to find some drills to accurately practice his downswing move? Ie. sitting in to the left side while externally rotating the left knee while leaving the hands up? And then firing through?

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

How does this break down if its not timing? Like what happened at 12 at the Masters? Also, how does this swing hold up at 17 Sawgrass? I'm new to this so I don't have the eye for seeing it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Up until a week ago I had never heard of this person, but then he started popping up in my YouTube golf list.

At first I was watching, thinking this guy is showing some funky moves with his downswing rotation, but the more I watch, the more it makes sense and I see how this could lead to a more consistent move to the ball.

Then I thought, this guy must have been discussed on golfwrx and here we are.

I like the video with the guy in the Disney hat where he says it feels so uncoordinated, but looks really good and sound like he is striking the ball solid.

Cobra F Speed 10.5 ProLaunch Blue tipped 1/2"
Benross V5 18* Accra Dymatch RT
Ping i20 4-Pw CFS S
Titleist Vokey 52* DG S200
MD Beryllium 56* PX flighted 6.0
Seemore FGP Brass (black finish)

• 3 weeks later...

I love trying new swings so thank you for posting all of the information that you guys have.

For everyone else please start a new thread if you want to bash. It's tough needing to weed out all the bs from the good stuff. Lots of different ways to hit (or miss) the golf ball

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

• 2 months later...

I really like following Gankas' instagram, i've picked up some good minor things from watching all of his stuff. Plus, him and the kids he works with all seem to be having fun and not making everything so serious and YOU MUST DO THIS OR YOU'LL SUCK! which is always refreshing.

Having said that...Steep to Shallow is NOT FOR ME. Holy crap. I cannot do it. Under the guide of a professional teacher i'm sure i'd get it down, but i'm much more comfortable with my current swing.

Haven't been following this thread but I follow his IG. Love watching it, and his kids all hit it pure and murder it. Makes me wish i could've afforded lessons in high school lol, would basically guarantee college golf

I agree, I can't do the outside/vertical takeaway. I'm more like shallow to shallow, and get into a good downswing position, so I'm not really worried about it. From what I can discern, it seems to give the players more power, as he likens it to a tennis forehand. But I hit it plenty far anyway so I don't think it's needed. Would love a lesson with him tho

• 3 weeks later...

Impact positions before and after.

Ball flight is so much better! I still have a ton of work to do!

That is ridiculously better

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"