2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

George Gankas

seems that Carl Pettersson has some moves GG promotes. Carl has it steep at the top, moves the club towards the ball line in transition and shallows the club a lot in the downswing with opening pivot and not much hip slide.

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

Pettersson is a Dana Dahlaquist guy I think. Dana and GG have very similar patterns.

I only work with Charles on the PGA Tour.

Charl i worked with for one month only because hes never really had coaching, I did not want him to change much. He just needed direction instead of searching. This was during June to July of last year.

Summerhays is working with his brother Boyd as of the Fedex finals last year.

I like being home teaching more than doing the travel the tour thing.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By separating the lower body from the upper, and moving the hips in the right direction, yes.

Not trying to pick on you but who is arguing this? It's obvious the separation is essential and GG clearly explains this on video. Who is saying anything different?

No one. Golfbeat told me to join the site so I can know how he wants club to shallow from the pivot. I responded with above post. Tons of average golfers will never get that move correct and do more harm than good if done on their own.

How can an average golfer do any harm by trying something new which is suggested by a top instructor. Through becoming even more average?

They going to end up spinny and OTT, IMO. Just like his video with stick on wall shows.

you have to watch more vids, never does he ever have anyone coming OTT like this infamous stick vid you always refer to. In that vid he shows ott but then has him touch the stick to the wall to feel the shallow via the pivot,,IMO

Never said he does. I said those attempting it on their own, especially avg golfers.

@ Golfbeat that's one way to look at it.

I've been working on his stuff for about a week now a few hours a day with much success. I still struggle with shallowing the club using the pivot.

I think I need to feel leaving the hands at the top for much longer. I'm going to pull the trigger on his sub site tomorrow.

As far as I understand the shallowing move in GG's model, he promotes rotation in transition while the hands/arms turn clockwise, which shallows the club.

There is a drill on his account which he did with one kid at the wall. First he asked for rotation and then he asked the boy to keep the alignment stick at the wall coming down. That move is actually clockwise arm/hand rotation and will lower the arms as well. Will not post a link as site owner gets angry.

Already been posted. I think it's dangerous for people who aren't shallow to try and start shallowing with the pivot without proper supervision. Going to get them steep and OTT like that video you mention shows.

I'd definitely echo that. He had to personally get me to feel way under before doing the rotational stuff. It was my missing piece.

By separating the lower body from the upper, and moving the hips in the right direction, yes.

Not trying to pick on you but who is arguing this? It's obvious the separation is essential and GG clearly explains this on video. Who is saying anything different?

No one. Golfbeat told me to join the site so I can know how he wants club to shallow from the pivot. I responded with above post. Tons of average golfers will never get that move correct and do more harm than good if done on their own.

How can an average golfer do any harm by trying something new which is suggested by a top instructor. Through becoming even more average?

Look at some of the swings of the do it yourselfers on the 9 to 3 thread if you want to see how.

Tons of average golfers won't get any move correct on their own or progress without proper instruction regardless of what pattern their trying to implement. I really don't think this move is that hard to grasp. That is just my opinion.

For the record im not a member of his site nor plan on it but i do find his lower body information very interesting and as some one who has struggled with ingraining a "bump" or "shift" could see it being helpful

Thanks for clarifying!

seems that Carl Pettersson has some moves GG promotes. Carl has it steep at the top, moves the club towards the ball line in transition and shallows the club a lot in the downswing with opening pivot and not much hip slide.

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

Pettersson is a Dana Dahlaquist guy I think. Dana and GG have very similar patterns.

I only work with Charles on the PGA Tour.

Charl i worked with for one month only because hes never really had coaching, I did not want him to change much. He just needed direction instead of searching. This was during June to July of last year.

Summerhays is working with his brother Boyd as of the Fedex finals last year.

I like being home teaching more than doing the travel the tour thing.

It's an awesome move. It is the first time I haven't felt like my forward hip loses range of motion. But for most, the big deal is going to be blending both parts. You've gotta get that left knee down and around, then you have to extend...that last part is what gets the left heel full of weight. The good news is that if you're doing the initial part correctly, weight is already getting to the outside three toes of the left foot, and you'll want to get around to the heel naturally.

The rest is just about having a face angle at delivery that allows you to rotate without doing something funky to square it.

I've been working on his stuff for about a week now a few hours a day with much success. I still struggle with shallowing the club using the pivot.

I think I need to feel leaving the hands at the top for much longer. I'm going to pull the trigger on his sub site tomorrow.

As far as I understand the shallowing move in GG's model, he promotes rotation in transition while the hands/arms turn clockwise, which shallows the club.

There is a drill on his account which he did with one kid at the wall. First he asked for rotation and then he asked the boy to keep the alignment stick at the wall coming down. That move is actually clockwise arm/hand rotation and will lower the arms as well. Will not post a link as site owner gets angry.

Already been posted. I think it's dangerous for people who aren't shallow to try and start shallowing with the pivot without proper supervision. Going to get them steep and OTT like that video you mention shows.

I'd definitely echo that. He had to personally get me to feel way under before doing the rotational stuff. It was my missing piece.

Exactly. And the majority of people aren't shallow enough but are going to start implementing rotational stuff.

C'mon golfbeat, this is nothing specific to GG. Trying to implement any one move in a vacuum on your own could be damaging even to just an average player who has probably cobbled together all their faults into something that allows them to hit the ball.

It's likely that adults reading this thread can decide for themselves whether they want to spend time watching GG's videos, reading about his approach to the swing, and trying something new -- even at the risk of screwing it all up. There's nothing like an in-person lesson but this is golf, not brain surgery. No one is harmed by trying to squat on the downswing. The difficulty of doing something over the internet is self-evident. A reasonably intelligent person already knows that. So he gives it a try and it doesn't work. Is he going to complain to GG that he should stop posting videos because they seduced him into trying a swing that ended up damaging him? Sheesh.

Sounds like golfbeat figured enough of it out that his swing has improved and he's shooting better scores. Good for him!

My cleek is sometimes peevish.

It's likely that adults reading this thread can decide for themselves whether they want to spend time watching GG's videos, reading about his approach to the swing, and trying something new -- even at the risk of screwing it all up. There's nothing like an in-person lesson but this is golf, not brain surgery. No one is harmed by trying to squat on the downswing. The difficulty of doing something over the internet is self-evident. A reasonably intelligent person already knows that. So he gives it a try and it doesn't work. Is he going to complain to GG that he should stop posting videos because they seduced him into trying a swing that ended up damaging him? Sheesh.

Sounds like golfbeat figured enough of it out that his swing has improved and he's shooting better scores. Good for him!

Exactly. Same thing here, best thing that ever happened to my golf game was discovering GG on IG. Many thanks to ShutSteepStuck for the initial thread, cannot thank him enough, and that's where the benefits of these forums come into play.

Can obviously do loads of harm by misinterpreting what they see. Heck, some people don't get it when they're shown something the first time. Someone suggested I check this thread out. No real interest beyond that, very happy with how I'm doing personally. But check I out I have.

What I notice are some people doing this funky looking drill but not allowing momentum in a full swing to add lateral motion. Some others don't open up at all, maybe out of fear of spinning out. Others get the clear sequence I saw wrong. There's a guy a couple of pages back who has some serious 'bull-rider' look to him, flat footed, standing there flapping at it. No lateral movement. His full swing looks like a drill. That's not the only swing I've seen like that. Looks unnatural.

I think there are also some people posting that may come across as antagonistic but actually have some good intentions and try just want to save people a lot of anguish.

May come across as antagonistic? Just want to save people a lot of anguish? Does anyone think it's a coincidence that the major antagonists are fans of this sites regular (sponsored) instructors or are regular instructors themselves. Who the hell do they think they are to tell Golfbeat that his feel isn't real and his shooting "par-ish" scores must be due to something else? They want him to put up before and after video so they can be assured he is really getting better. Why are these antagonists even viewing and/or commenting in this thread?

Lol. Where are these before and after videos supposed tobe coming from when the instructor being discussed doesn't even post here? The results have already been quantified in the the real world folks.

Thanks Putter. There's a certain amount of tribal thinking that takes place on these type of forums. If you're perceived as being in the wrong tribe you better watch out.

I agree. Also think the lower body action he promotes can help with speed for many. It is a powerful way to learn to use the ground.

^^^ this. I think his lower body action can help alot of golfers. PKTD what do you think about this for people who have trouble with a bump to start transition?

(And out of curiosity are you still predominantly playing a fade? Your question about push draws made think you had posted something about that a while back)

May come across as antagonistic? Just want to save people a lot of anguish? Does anyone think it's a coincidence that the major antagonists are fans of this sites regular (sponsored) instructors or are regular instructors themselves. Who the hell do they think they are to tell Golfbeat that his feel isn't real and his shooting "par-ish" scores must be due to something else? They want him to put up before and after video so they can be assured he is really getting better. Why are these antagonists even viewing and/or commenting in this thread?

Not an antagonist here as I actually like GG's stuff and would see him if I lived in SoCal. There is nothing wrong with asking someone for before/after video to see what they've changed. Drvrwdge had no trouble putting some up and neither did Jurr or HStead. Most of GG's students are younger folks so it would nice to see videos from someone GB's age. If he doesn't want to put them up, so be it. And who has actually posted an antagonistic comment about GG's actual teachings ?

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

Lol. Where are these before and after videos supposed tobe coming from when the instructor being discussed doesn't even post here? The results have already been quantified in the the real world folks.

I take periodic video's of my swings as do many other here (that Casio thread was a monster). Do you seriously only get videos from your instructor(s)? HTF do you know what you're actually doing when you are practicing?

There is another thread here about feel vs. real being surprisingly different: http://www.golfwrx.c...to-meway-wrong/

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

Why are so many of his students HS/college age? Is it just because, as a "cool golf guy," that's the niche he's chosen and/or enjoys it more or do older folks find it more difficult to implement his theories? I know this has come up before to some extent.

Maybe someone that's worked with him can provide some background.

I take periodic video's of my swings as do many other here (that Casio thread was a monster). Do you seriously only get videos from your instructor(s)? HTF do you know what you're actually doing when you are practicing?

There is another thread here about feel vs. real being surprisingly different: http://www.golfwrx.c...to-meway-wrong/

Whether you film yourself or not has nothing to do with my comment. The question was relating to IG before and afters with basically only a handful of posters around here who have had in-person lessons. North, I don't get overly obsessed about 'looks' in my swing bud, I know WTF I'm doing when I flight the ball how I want, and hit my lines the way I'm trying to. You're gonna lecture me now about feel vs real? Gimme a break chief....

Whether you film yourself or not has nothing to do with my comment. The question was relating to IG before and afters with basically only a handful of posters around here who have had in-person lessons. North, I don't get overly obsessed about 'looks' in my swing bud, I know WTF I'm doing when I flight the ball how I want, and hit my lines the way I'm trying to. You're gonna lecture me now about feel vs real? Gimme a break chief....

What you say is true Whitefeather

Yeh I just thought it would be interesting to see people who have worked the stuff without seeing him and how the swing evolved. But it seems pretty clear that no such videos exist, surely if they did theyd just have been posted, so I guess better to move along.

Please do.

Ping g430max 10k 10.5*- rogue white 130 60tx
sim2ti 15* - speeder evo 3 757x
ping g425 20.5* - rogue 125 80tx
4-gw ap1 jpx921 hm/hm pro - 120x1’s
 sm5 56.10 - s400ti
sm8 60m - s400ti
piretti potenza ii 365g 34"

PKTD,

I don't care about what your particular swing looks like, I care about evidence based assertions. If someone is going to argue that changing their swing in a specific way (say by following the instructions in a GG instragram) has made their swing dramatically better, then I'd like to see the evidence.

BTW, I'd love to have the control of ball flight that you do - I'm just suspicious of people who say "this is the way to do it".

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

Yeh I just thought it would be interesting to see people who have worked the stuff without seeing him and how the swing evolved. But it seems pretty clear that no such videos exist, surely if they did theyd just have been posted, so I guess better to move along.

Please do.

I just meant move the thread along. I think it's a really good thread, hopefully Hstead comes back soon. Would like to see more transformations (whether they've seen him or not), but my point was that it's obviously not going to happen so I guess we'll have to wait till Hstead gets back, wait for others to see him, or keep talking in the abstract. The latter is fine, it's just more interesting with people showing the progress and I think it makes for more interesting discussion overall.

So to state once again, I have posted my before and afters without seeing him in person...

Did you post the whole videos? I saw the stills and can def see a difference, but it's hard to tell exactly how much cuz the stills aren't taken at exactly the same time. In any event tho, it does appear that you are shallower from the stills.