George Gankas

I've been working on his stuff for about a week now a few hours a day with much success. I still struggle with shallowing the club using the pivot.

I think I need to feel leaving the hands at the top for much longer. I'm going to pull the trigger on his sub site tomorrow.

As far as I understand the shallowing move in GG's model, he promotes rotation in transition while the hands/arms turn clockwise, which shallows the club.

There is a drill on his account which he did with one kid at the wall. First he asked for rotation and then he asked the boy to keep the alignment stick at the wall coming down. That move is actually clockwise arm/hand rotation and will lower the arms as well. Will not post a link as site owner gets angry.

Already been posted. I think it's dangerous for people who aren't shallow to try and start shallowing with the pivot without proper supervision. Going to get them steep and OTT like that video you mention shows.

Seems to me that you should take a subscription for GG' website or take a lesson from him. The only thing you seem to do is asking questions about his methods and questioning the method without knowing what it is all about.

He literally shows in a video how JUST pivoting without keeping the stick on the wall will get you steep and OTT. Keeping the stick on the wall is an additional move to the pivot, that a lot of good players probably already do and don't have to think about, but most average golfers don't do.

This is why it would be good to join his website or take a lesson from him. He explains exactly how to shallow the club with the pivot only and without an additional conscious move with the arms.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I understand the shallowing move in GG's model, he promotes rotation in transition while the hands/arms turn clockwise, which shallows the club.

There is a drill on his account which he did with one kid at the wall. First he asked for rotation and then he asked the boy to keep the alignment stick at the wall coming down. That move is actually clockwise arm/hand rotation and will lower the arms as well. Will not post a link as site owner gets angry.

Already been posted. I think it's dangerous for people who aren't shallow to try and start shallowing with the pivot without proper supervision. Going to get them steep and OTT like that video you mention shows.

Seems to me that you should take a subscription for GG' website or take a lesson from him. The only thing you seem to do is asking questions about his methods and questioning the method without knowing what it is all about.

He literally shows in a video how JUST pivoting without keeping the stick on the wall will get you steep and OTT. Keeping the stick on the wall is an additional move to the pivot, that a lot of good players probably already do and don't have to think about, but most average golfers don't do.

And now they know how to do it. Period. Everyone happy, except the haters - because the haters gonna hate, no matter what.

I don't think he's hating on the teaching at all. What GG is teaching is certainly "correct" and others have taught it before (the shallowing through the pivot). He's just saying it's dangerous for most people to do on their own. Especially the people who aren't even signed up for the site and are just watching Instagram and reading this. In any event, we'll see the proof if people really can do this on their own. There will assuredly be plenty of before and after videos showing vast improvement if it turns out it's possible to do on your own, and you'll be proven right. Or there won't, only time will tell.

I don't think this pivot is at all for people who are already under plane. As the the knees lower a little stretch is felt in the left arm/shoulder and the shaft shallows.

I didn't even attempt a full swing until after hundreds of slow motion reps then moved to freezers then moved to full swings at 25-50% speed. I'm developing a pattern and I'm continually working on it at various speeds.

The 3 rounds I've played lately I completely shut the swing thoughts off and just swung. Been playing great.

I've been working on his stuff for about a week now a few hours a day with much success. I still struggle with shallowing the club using the pivot.

I think I need to feel leaving the hands at the top for much longer. I'm going to pull the trigger on his sub site tomorrow.

GolfBeat: What part of "unsponsored promotion" do you not understand?

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

GolfBeat: What part of "unsponsored promotion" do you not understand?

I think that this is not different from telling people to take a lesson from iTeach, Monte etc etc. I am not giving discount codes or so.

Hey Golfbeat. I saw you were once active in the Tathata Golf thread. Are you integrating GG with Tathata? Seems you are pretty happy with your game. Just curious what you see as the benefits of Tathata and GG are.

I would summarize it like this. I always felt and was told that my swing was too hands and arms oriented. Some instructors told me that I should just speed up my arms and the body would "just get out of the way". However hard I tried, I could not make this work. This is why I started Tathata because it is very focused on the lower and upper body and I always had the feeling that this was the element I was missing. I made great progress with Tathata and I am still referring back to it for some elements. I did not like the short game, putting and mental part so much. When I bumped into GG's Instagram, I realized that I was still sliding too much with the lower body versus rotating. I then started to experiment with the GG pivot and after a few weeks felt that a break through was coming. I am still discovering new things but I am confident that have conquered the next plateau in my golf journey.

Don't believe people that say you should not tinker with your swing. Tinkering is what brings you to the next level.

Would you characterize GG as more of a swing method and Tathata as more physical training?

I don't think he's hating on the teaching at all. What GG is teaching is certainly "correct" and others have taught it before (the shallowing through the pivot). He's just saying it's dangerous for most people to do on their own. Especially the people who aren't even signed up for the site and are just watching Instagram and reading this. In any event, we'll see the proof if people really can do this on their own. There will assuredly be plenty of before and after videos showing vast improvement if it turns out it's possible to do on your own, and you'll be proven right. Or there won't, only time will tell.

There have already been claims here from some of implementing the lower body move with resultant lower scores, so I'd like to see before/afters.

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

There have already been claims here from some of implementing the lower body move with resultant lower scores, so I'd like to see before/afters.

Agreed, id be very interested as well and think it would add lots of value to the discussion.

Thanks, got the impression that freezers in the context of GG were more specific to freezing the arms at the top and then doing that left knee move/drop the ball between leg. Am I in the ballpark?

What are freezers exactly?

When I do it correctly yes. Right now though I'm primarily just hitting 150-200 balls. All "freezers". Ha you have no idea how hard it is to not just hit drivers haha. I'm concentrating on the movement currently not the result.

I also have been playing for 20+ yrs and was taught to pull the handle down down hard in transition, did drills with two balls setting up to outside ball and hitting inside ball, holding the angle as long as humanly possible so I have a very severe "hands" move to the ball I am trying to get rid of. I've played some very good golf in my day but some very bad golf as well. Just trying to tightening bell curve a bit and I believe this is the way as I get older and stop to lose a bit of my athletic ability and timing. When I was younger I could use my hand eye coordination and pure athleticism to bail me out.

A pause in the swing so that movements and positions can be worked on without the natural momentum of the golf swing and or bad habits distorting the intent of the drill.

Thanks, got the impression that freezers in the context of GG were more specific to freezing the arms at the top and then doing that left knee move/drop the ball between leg. Am I in the ballpark?

Think so. From a comment GG made on IG: "Do freezers in order to learn not to pull down in transition."

My cleek is sometimes peevish.

Hstead has before and afters up big changes for him

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

Think so. From a comment GG made on IG: "Do freezers in order to learn not to pull down in transition."

Freezers not really a new thing. Great video of Tiger and Butch talking about this on golf channel years ago.

Vokeys SM9 56,60

And Drvrwdge. Oh wait that does not count. They had a lesson with him.

True. He went to see the man tho. I want to see the Instagram crowd who has improved. Lots have said they have.

True. He went to see the man tho. I want to see the Instagram crowd who has improved. Lots have said they have.

got ya sorry. I have been working on it myself for the last couple of days. Hard to tell if I'm actually more shallow yet. Feels better though.

Vokeys SM9 56,60

And Drvrwdge. Oh wait that does not count. They had a lesson with him.

Aren't you one of those that hasn't seen GG in person but has claimed better scores ? How about a before and after so we can see how interpreted GG's pivot and lower body action ? We could also compare it to HStead's changes ...

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

I have only studied the Instagram and Youtube stuff but have had an in-person with my coach who generally follows the same ideas as GG. But I can tell you I worked for a bit just by following the Insta and Youtube vids and have posted before and after vids.

I would agree that maybe someone that doesn't have a decent knowledge or the golf swing or is already a decent player could possibly get them selves into a little trouble without seeing him in person but its laid out pretty well if you just watch and listen. This stuff isn't rocket science. That being said its not going to work for everyone regardless if they comprehend the move or not.

I can post more vids but no one has commented on them to begin with so..... ha

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

If you've seen those reports what gave you reason to doubt their accounts?

By separating the lower body from the upper, and moving the hips in the right direction, yes.

Is it external rotation of shoulder (or upper arm, don't know exact term) that does shallowing? Comes automatically for many. For those it don't come automatically will have severe OTT. What I like about GGs move is that it takes hands OTT. My hands used to drop in transition and I was badly stuck and had to spin out. GG style pivot fixed it.

Feel isn't real.

I have first hand experience with thinking I've made changes to my swing only to later take a video and find nothing changed. My playing better was most likely due to having more practice and not the change.

These days, I haul out my Casio every couple of weeks and verify if I am actually making the changes I feel I am making. It can be disheartening how often it is not the case. I have also experienced when I am in the midst of actually making real changes that my score is worse due to be erratic implementation on the course (it's during that transition time where the new swing feels awkward). I only get out to practice 2 to 3 times a week, and a real swing change can take me months before it feels natural (and it is when it feels natural that I am most concerned I have fallen back into old bad habits).

Put it this way - if you find out the hard way that you can't trust your own progress without before and after video, how the heck do you trust others stories?

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

By separating the lower body from the upper, and moving the hips in the right direction, yes.

Not trying to pick on you but who is arguing this? It's obvious the separation is essential and GG clearly explains this on video. Who is saying anything different?

No one. Golfbeat told me to join the site so I can know how he wants club to shallow from the pivot. I responded with above post. Tons of average golfers will never get that move correct and do more harm than good if done on their own.

They going to end up spinny and OTT, IMO. Just like his video with stick on wall shows.

you have to watch more vids, never does he ever have anyone coming OTT like this infamous stick vid you always refer to. In that vid he shows ott but then has him touch the stick to the wall to feel the shallow via the pivot,,IMO

This is what I'm afraid of. On a slightly different note, doesn't this essentially match Kelvin M's ideas on how to pivot hips correctly (don't go into internal rotation early with right hip, lateral bend to shallow if you keep head back, etc?) They might not explain the same way but seems like they are both advocating similar results.

Honestly though I don't know why one has to join the site to understand his thoughts on how the pivot shallows the club. Isn't that pretty much laid out in the video where he puts the butt of the club on a pole and pivots his lower body at same time?

Not trying to pick on you but who is arguing this? It's obvious the separation is essential and GG clearly explains this on video. Who is saying anything different?

No one. Golfbeat told me to join the site so I can know how he wants club to shallow from the pivot. I responded with above post. Tons of average golfers will never get that move correct and do more harm than good if done on their own.

Well I've seen similar reports in other threads and then seen swings that were abysmal and showed zero improvement. Also, I just think it would add a lot to the thread to show how people are improving. If no one has improved and there are no videos, that's fine, but if there are I think it would be really interesting to see.

Again, there's nothing to hide I assume, right? I just think it would be interesting to see some before and afters.