2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

George Gankas

But what is 'the evidence' you're referring to? A bunch of untrained-eyes internet opinions of whether or not the swing looks better on video? Unless I'm misunderstanding you, it sounds like you're claiming GG prescribes a one-size-fits-all method and I can vogue for several people that say thats not true whatsoever.

I guess my point here is does it really matter how different it looks if the results are better? Is the player 'shallowing' as much as they think... probably not, but seems crazy to me that this 'evidence' somehow needs to be proven on video? No reason to doubt people at their word unless of course we're trying to protect the group-think status quo of whose advice is worthy.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But what is 'the evidence' you're referring to? A bunch of untrained-eyes internet opinions of whether or not the swing looks better on video? Unless I'm misunderstanding you, it sounds like you're claiming GG prescribes a one-size-fits-all method and I can vogue for several people that say thats not true whatsoever.

I guess my point here is does it really matter how different it looks if the results are better? Is the player 'shallowing' as much as they think... probably not, but seems crazy to me that this 'evidence' somehow needs to be proven on video? No reason to doubt people at their word unless of course we're trying to protect the group-think status quo of whose advice is worthy.

I know you were referring to north, but I'll just say this: IMO no one is really gonna change much just from the Instagram or pay site. People seem to be challenging that. That is fine and fair. To the extent that anyone wants to show ME otherwise (and I have literally no idea why anyone would care about my opinion but people do seem to challenge this a lot), I am not going to change my mind without videos. Nothing to do with GG, this same thing happened with 9 to 3, a swing, Tathata etc. again, why anyone would care enough to continue debating it is beyond me because who cares what I think, but I have yet to be shown otherwise and I'm going to stand behind that. If I were on the other side, I would just say "who cares what bph7 thinks". But that's not what people seem to be doing. Also, as I said before, people's personal improvement demonstrated adds a lot to the discussion IMO.

So to state once again, I have posted my before and afters without seeing him in person...

Did you post the whole videos? I saw the stills and can def see a difference, but it's hard to tell exactly how much cuz the stills aren't taken at exactly the same time. In any event tho, it does appear that you are shallower from the stills.

This is why I am hesitating to post up my swing. People will try to rationalize something about my swing that is not there. Try a before and after of Bubba Watson or Jim Furyk. What are you going to see? In the mean time, I shot a 78 today. Not great, I know but the ball striking was not the issue. It was as good as ever. Just a few sloppy chips and putts. I finally feel that I understand how the lower body should work and I am enjoying it...without the help of a live instructor.

Bottom line is who cares what bph7 and North think? Why do they think they are owed "evidence" that someone feels they are getting better? Jesus........a golf forum where mid to high handicappers who may or may not have posted their own swings demanding others to post their swings so they can be critiqued by said mid to high cappers. Rant over.

Bottom line is who cares what bph7 and North think? Why do they think they are owed "evidence" that someone feels they are getting better? Jesus........a golf forum where mid to high handicappers who may or may not have posted their own swings demanding others to post their swings so they can be critiqued by said mid to high cappers. Rant over.

I'm not demanding anything just to be clear. That's my entire point. I've made my position clear, I honestly have no idea why people are trying to change my mind but it seems they are. If they want to do that (which again who cares) I've said what is needed. But I've certainly never "demanded" anything.

So to state once again, I have posted my before and afters without seeing him in person...

Did you post the whole videos? I saw the stills and can def see a difference, but it's hard to tell exactly how much cuz the stills aren't taken at exactly the same time. In any event tho, it does appear that you are shallower from the stills.

This is why I am hesitating to post up my swing. People will try to rationalize something about my swing that is not there. Try a before and after of Bubba Watson or Jim Furyk. What are you going to see? In the mean time, I shot a 78 today. Not great, I know but the ball striking was not the issue. It was as good as ever. Just a few sloppy chips and putts. I finally feel that I understand how the lower body should work and I am enjoying it...without the help of a live instructor.

78 is pretty good. Well done.

Yeh I just thought it would be interesting to see people who have worked the stuff without seeing him and how the swing evolved. But it seems pretty clear that no such videos exist, surely if they did theyd just have been posted, so I guess better to move along.

Here are my before and afters. Only picked up on GG from Instagram. The after is the red shirt (today). The biggest thing that has freed it up a bit is the right knee going into flexion and feeling the squat. Before working on the GG pivot my right knee would straighten and kick in. My whole swing from start to finish just felt like a bunch of compensations. It seems to be shallowing better and like PKTD said more speed. For goodness sake I'm not saying it's perfect or even good for that matter, but I'm pretty happy with the results so far that are specifically because of watching GG Instagram videos.

http://youtu.be/Fozd56_KWlE

http://youtu.be/DqWji31u3xw

He shot 72 twice in the last few weeks I think. GB, do you have score cards signed by your playing partners you can scan and post up?

He shot 72 twice in the last few weeks I think. GB, do you have score cards signed by your playing partners you can scan and post up?

Give it a rest, would ya ? We get that you don't feel it's a reasonable request to ask for before/after swings.

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

I was complimentary, why the hostility?

Why are so many of his students HS/college age? Is it just because, as a "cool golf guy," that's the niche he's chosen and/or enjoys it more or do older folks find it more difficult to implement his theories? I know this has come up before to some extent.

Maybe someone that's worked with him can provide some background.

See, what's funny is that people try to paint him with a brush, and that probably makes it easier to follow or discredit him.

The truth is he knows the swing, and can work around anything.

He posts a lot of younger people on his site because those are the students that he sees weekly. He mixes in older students, and I've watched lessons with a bunch of them.

Some guys are looking for short term work to get it around during a corporate tournament. Some guys are fathers of the kids he teaches. He's working within physical limitations on some of these people, and they are getting better, as well. They're not hitting 2:1 Trackman draws with 120 swing speed, but they're getting better.

But yeah, the majority of his students are top notch high school or college players. They're always around the range working, and he's got a scheduled routine for each of them to work through in between lessons.

I don't think the "average Joe" is going to go wrong with learning how to set up correctly, learning how to rotate through the shot a bit better, and figuring out how his grip strength matches up with a proper swing bottom.

Does GG want the arms passive all the way through the swing or just at the start of the down swing?

Arms stay passive through the transition, and you throw/refold the arms through impact.

He works students to that throw, though.

If you have an early release, he works it back. Figures out whether your pivot, backswing, or face is responsible.

Ultimately, he believes that you don't hold onto anything, but he will exaggerate you a bit to hold angles for a very short while if you're all jacked up at impact.

Why are so many of his students HS/college age? Is it just because, as a "cool golf guy," that's the niche he's chosen and/or enjoys it more or do older folks find it more difficult to implement his theories? I know this has come up before to some extent.

See, what's funny is that people try to paint him with a brush, and that probably makes it easier to follow or discredit him.

He posts a lot of younger people on his site because those are the students that he sees weekly. He mixes in older students, and I've watched lessons with a bunch of them.

Some guys are looking for short term work to get it around during a corporate tournament. Some guys are fathers of the kids he teaches. He's working within physical limitations on some of these people, and they are getting better, as well. They're not hitting 2:1 Trackman draws with 120 swing speed, but they're getting better.

But yeah, the majority of his students are top notch high school or college players. They're always around the range working, and he's got a scheduled routine for each of them to work through in between lessons.

I don't think the "average Joe" is going to go wrong with learning how to set up correctly, learning how to rotate through the shot a bit better, and figuring out how his grip strength matches up with a proper swing bottom.

He describes his set up as setting up as an "old lady". Probably more difficult for a Junior than for an older person. Really, there is no need for being an athlete. Just don't shoot that right knee and hip forward immediately. Do the wall drill which is available on Instagram many times and it will pay off.

There is no "correct" setup. By that maybe you mean correct for his model, which is fine. People will go wrong because rotating through the shot requires a lot of other things to be in order first.

He describes his set up as setting up as an "old lady". Probably more difficult for a Junior than for an older person. Really, there is no need for being an athlete. Just don't shoot that right knee and hip forward immediately. Do the wall drill which is available on Instagram many times and it will pay off.

He wall drill is great, but not necessary. If you've never felt shallowing before, getting it at some speed will help more.

You can do any motion in the world if there's no ball in front of you.

Going to the top of a swing, freezing, and transitioning at about 50% speed (hit an 8 iron less than 100 yards) focusing on the leg work allows you to really get the feeling down. You quickly see that you don't need to manipulate that shallowing move. You just stay wide.

Now, if you don't have the proper wrist flexion for your grip strength, and your face is coming in open, you may still have problems. But that is an easy thing to see on video.

He likes to see the face shut about 15-25 degrees at p6. That way, you won't feel the need to do anything funky at the bottom to square it.

There is no "correct" setup. By that maybe you mean correct for his model, which is fine. People will go wrong because rotating through the shot requires a lot of other things to be in order first.

Why don't you all tell us how it is done instead of telling everyone what is wrong. Your contribution to this forum is just all negativity and doom. Are you jealous of George? Put up a video with some constructive content. That would be helpful.

People will go wrong by trying to implement the change at full speed with no slow motion practice.

Why don't you all tell us how it is done instead of telling everyone what is wrong. Your contribution to this forum is just all negativity and doom. Are you jealous of George? Put up a video with some constructive content. That would be helpful.

Arafel already did that.

Arafel already did that.

Why don't you all put up some video with constructive content? You are all positivity and rainbows. We get it, you think this content will help most of the avg. Joe's, great! I don't, why you all so defensive over that? I stated my opinion on why I don't, why don't you counter with an explanation on why it will?

Brian.........GB is not an instructor......you are. He has tried to explain why it works for him but that has not satisfied you. If you think it's bad advice for your students why don't you just say so (if you haven't already) and just move on. Any time somebody new comes on (to Wrx) some of the incumbent teachers want to discredit the new guy or his students. The Gangas thread is as popular as any in recent memory and Mr. Gangas hasn't even posted once. If it's really bad advice you will have the satisfaction of having posters come to you later and apologize for not listening to you.

Let's don't derail this thread. Get back on topic. Did you see that shot in the national championship game? Wow made me forget what I was typing.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

Brian.........GB is not an instructor......you are. He has tried to explain why it works for him but that has not satisfied you. If you think it's bad advice for your students why don't you just say so (if you haven't already) and just move on. Any time somebody new comes on (to Wrx) some of the incumbent teachers want to discredit the new guy or his students. The Gangas thread is as popular as any in recent memory and Mr. Gangas hasn't even posted once. If it's really bad advice you will have the satisfaction of having posters come to you later and apologize for not listening to you.

I didn't say it was bad advice. I offered a different opinion for those trying this on their own without seeing the man. I thought forums were for discussion? I have to post video content in order to have an opinion? An opinion of which hasn't been discussed with dialogue, but rather defensive snarky remarks from the likes of the two posters above. Why not just explain why they disagree with me and why people should apply this teaching?

You missed my point - I don't even trust myself, so I end up in misery (it is the show me state, right?).

The before and after's show me what they think is better (a picture is worth a thousand words). I'm really curious what some of the people in this thread think is better.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

I'm with Jurr. TB07 aka: TB Edits, you have nothing decent to post ever. Go away and grind your axe somewhere else. If you're a golf pro, your knowledge doesn't seem adequate. You display a very petty and jealous attitude. Nothing personal, just making a factual observation.

Like this, J?

People like Chiva, if you notice, rarely comment on topic, rarely offer any technical opinions, they just post comments that have nothing to do with the topic. Grab a few of their buddies to do the same and get the forum back to where the good ol boys want it. Any opinions that differ get attacked. Nothing personal, just factual observation.

Yeh I just thought it would be interesting to see people who have worked the stuff without seeing him and how the swing evolved. But it seems pretty clear that no such videos exist, surely if they did theyd just have been posted, so I guess better to move along.

Here are my before and afters. Only picked up on GG from Instagram. The after is the red shirt (today). The biggest thing that has freed it up a bit is the right knee going into flexion and feeling the squat. Before working on the GG pivot my right knee would straighten and kick in. My whole swing from start to finish just felt like a bunch of compensations. It seems to be shallowing better and like PKTD said more speed. For goodness sake I'm not saying it's perfect or even good for that matter, but I'm pretty happy with the results so far that are specifically because of watching GG Instagram videos.

[media=]http://youtu.be/Fozd56_KWlE[/media]

[media=]http://youtu.be/DqWji31u3xw[/media]

Your after looks better for sure, thank you for sharing.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead