2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping iron experts- G5 vs later models up thru G25

Milfordlefty

Played Ping Eye 2 and G2. Then moved to Adams A3OS( hybrids as long irons) and then A4 Forged (they look so pretty). I need offset. Still have the Eye 2, so those are back in the bag, the weak loft adjustment is playing mind games while on the course.

So, I am thinking I'll find some used, older G series irons.

I've read past postings about the progression to more weight in the toe after the G5 series. My mishits are mostly towards the heal, so I am not sure if I would see any large benefit to gravitating towards the G15,20,25 series.

I am a bogey to bogey and a half player, but that is more due to driver and wedge challenges.

Are the G5 w/ AWT steel shafts that inferior to the later models?

I am looking at a G5 set at a nice price, but would keep the Eye 2s in the bag and keep looking if you guys give me good enough reasons. Please avoid recs for the newest offerings, just not in the budget.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

All G series are good. But sounds like maybe your Eye 2s might too long if you are hitting them on the heel?! Might want to take them in to get 'fitted' to your specs?

Ping Traverse

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

TM P790 5-AW

TM Hi Toe 3 54/58*

TM TP Black Soto

TP5

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

I've owned g5s, g15s, and g30s. I really like the G5s. The G5s aren't quite as forgiving as the G15s due to the lack of weighing in the toe, but they are still plenty forgiving. A nice benefit of the G5s is that they are slimmer than the G15s. I think there is very little difference between the G5 and G10. The G25s have the toe weighting and more forgiveness like the G15, but in a slimmer package. I don't think there is much difference between the G25s and G30s except the G30 standard length is longer and lofts are stronger.

Ping G410 9* Alta CB
Ping G410 15* 3 Wood Alta CB
Ping G410 19* & 22* Hybrid Alta CB
Ping i500 Recoil 5-UW
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 54*, 58*
Ping Anser Milled 0
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1378338-pkshooter-witb-2016-all-ping/"]WITB Link[/url]

I wouldn't say the G5 are inferior. The sole width of the G series did seem to get a little bit larger after the G5 (peaking at around the G20). So depending on your swing type you may find the later G irons more forgiving than the G5. I know golfers who swear the G5 and G10 were the best iron sets ping ever released. It all depends on your swing and your preferences.

Ping G30 SFT 12
Ping G5 3W
Ping G Crossover 4
Ping G15 4 - U
Vokey SM6 56.14, 60.04
Odyssey White Hot XG #7

One could play any of the G5 through G25 and likely score well as long as they got along with the shaft. I've owned G5, G15, G20, G25 and G30. Interestingly, while I had spurts of greatness with the G25 and G30, I've gotten rid of both sets. I simply never got along with them 100%. The G5's time came for me some years ago when I didn't really like the CS Lite reg flex they had in them. I got rid of the G20's because they were virtually identical in size, performance and shaft to the G15's.

Which leads to the G15's with CFS stiff shafts, which are the only G irons that I still have around. These were an end-of-the-run set of G15's that came with the updated CFS shaft rather than the standard AWT shaft. Being that I prefer the CFS shaft, this was a great set for me. I have moved on from them, but I still like having them around.

Bottom line though, you can't really go wrong with any of these, but with the different head/shaft combinations out there in the different lines, there are some definite differences among them. Unfortunately, the only way to really know with the older lines is to buy them and try them. Good luck.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

Thanks for all the comments. Budget may be the decision maker, but it sounds like it won't result in a big drop off in performance.

Ping G30 4H R

Srixon Soft Feel

Thanks for all the comments. Budget may be the decision maker, but it sounds like it won't result in a big drop off in performance.

I agree with your assessment 100%

Ping G410 9* Alta CB
Ping G410 15* 3 Wood Alta CB
Ping G410 19* & 22* Hybrid Alta CB
Ping i500 Recoil 5-UW
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 54*, 58*
Ping Anser Milled 0
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1378338-pkshooter-witb-2016-all-ping/"]WITB Link[/url]

Played Ping Eye 2 and G2. Then moved to Adams A3OS( hybrids as long irons) and then A4 Forged (they look so pretty). I need offset. Still have the Eye 2, so those are back in the bag, the weak loft adjustment is playing mind games while on the course.

So, I am thinking I'll find some used, older G series irons.

I've read past postings about the progression to more weight in the toe after the G5 series. My mishits are mostly towards the heal, so I am not sure if I would see any large benefit to gravitating towards the G15,20,25 series.

I am a bogey to bogey and a half player, but that is more due to driver and wedge challenges.

Are the G5 w/ AWT steel shafts that inferior to the later models?

I am looking at a G5 set at a nice price, but would keep the Eye 2s in the bag and keep looking if you guys give me good enough reasons. Please avoid recs for the newest offerings, just not in the budget.

Do you mean the fact that your clubs are essentially 1 club weaker or more than modern sets? How does that cause problems? Just add 1 to what ever club you pull and you will be fine.

I also like telling the people I am playing with yah I hit a 7i full for that 155 yard shot. I use to go into a loft explanation but no one listened. Only thing you put on score cards is number of strokes. No spot for listing how far your 5i goes. If you hit your eye2's well, stick with them especially if money is an issue.

SLDR mini 14* @ 43"
Adams XTD Ti hybrid 18.5* @ 39" & 21.5* @ 38.5
Adams dhy 24* @ 38.5"
Pinhawk SL iron 5-LW @ 37"
MacGregor Bobby Grace V-foil M5k

When Nessism responds you can lock this thread! :)

this

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Do you mean the fact that your clubs are essentially 1 club weaker or more than modern sets? How does that cause problems? Just add 1 to what ever club you pull and you will be fine.

I also like telling the people I am playing with yah I hit a 7i full for that 155 yard shot. I use to go into a loft explanation but no one listened. Only thing you put on score cards is number of strokes. No spot for listing how far your 5i goes. If you hit your eye2's well, stick with them especially if money is an issue.

Every set I have had but the Eye2, I've hit the 6 iron a certain distance, 7i a certain distance, 8i...etc. And when you don't hit within the range, after the shot, you think, fat, thin, below feet, above feet. etc. With the Eye2 I wonder if I picked the right club, did I mess up in the conversion. So I think it will be more comfortable back with a set with the modern loft/club number progression. Just a mental thing. It is not a question of I want clubs out of my budget, it is more a question will I get the bang the buck going to the top of the budget number. It appears I don't have to. Thanks for your comments though.

When Nessism responds you can lock this thread! :)

LOL

Ping G30 4H R

Srixon Soft Feel

Ouch, my ears are burning... :swoon:

I keep telling the brethren here that all the G's are good, and that the evolution from model to model is relatively minor.

From G5 to G10 we got (arguably) a better shaft, from CS Lite to AWT, less offset in the short irons, and a higher MOI because of the added toe weight.

From G10 to G15 and we got a cavity badge and stronger lofts

G15 to G20 and the sole got fatter and CFS shafts, which aren't exactly an upgrade but have been well received

G25's are sort of a watershed model. A little more sleek looking, particularly the sole compared to the 20.

The 30's have a more forgiving leading edge, funny 5/8" length spacing in the long irons, and stronger lofts.

Now with the G's they made the profile a little more sleek once again and added some spring face action, while subtile, does add a little pop in the long irons.

I'd call all these clubs pretty much interchangeable, learning new lofts possibly excluded. A smart man (or woman as the case may be) would look for the best conditioned set with the shafts of their choosing. You can't go wrong any which way. :superman:

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I keep telling the brethren here that all the G's are good, and that the evolution from model to model is relatively minor.

From G5 to G10 we got (arguably) a better shaft, from CS Lite to AWT, less offset in the short irons, and a higher MOI because of the added toe weight.

G15 to G20 and the sole got fatter and CFS shafts, which aren't exactly an upgrade but have been well received

G25's are sort of a watershed model. A little more sleek looking, particularly the sole compared to the 20.

The 30's have a more forgiving leading edge, funny 5/8" length spacing in the long irons, and stronger lofts.

Now with the G's they made the profile a little more sleek once again and added some spring face action, while subtile, does add a little pop in the long irons.

I'd call all these clubs pretty much interchangeable, learning new lofts possibly excluded. A smart man (or woman as the case may be) would look for the best conditioned set with the shafts of their choosing. You can't go wrong any which way. :superman:

Rock solid advice right there.

I'm biased - but after playing them all I'd recommend the G25s. The are a sleeker package and just as forgiving. And the CFS shaft is better than the CS Lite, AWT or AWT 2.0 (IMHO). And since they are a couple of generations old, you can get a good deal on them.

I would put them with the i5s in my Mount Rushmore of PING irons.... (along with the Eye2s). The fourth spot is up for heavy debate...

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

Played almost each series except the G20 (just too chunky) and thought the 10s and 15s were among the best, personally. If conforming grooves are a consideration, go with G15 or newer (or the G10 "XG"). You may want to compare shafts to see which you like best ... as others have stated, some people definitely have a preference, and that could be a deciding factor in your ultimate selection.

Half the clubs, twice the fun!

LOCK IT UP!!!

Regarding shafts, CFS is based off the well regarded Z-Z65 and shares the same stepping pattern. If you look at the distance from the first step to the tip, which is indicative of stiffness, the Z-Z65 falls exactly halfway between CFS S and X. In my opinion Z-Z65 plays TRUE to flex and an honest stiff, and CFS S a soft stiff and X sort of an S+.

CFS is descending weight; the shafts get lighter as they get shorter.

AWT is ascending weight; the shafts get heavier as they get shorter.

The CFS long irons weigh about the same as an AWT short iron, and visa versa.

A CFS wedge shaft weighs under 100 grams when cut to length. An AWT is about 10 grams heavier in the same length.

I don't have much info about the CS Lite, other than they are mid weight by modern standards. I never had any issues playing them but some people blast them for being overly flexi and high launching. The original AWT's launch high in the long irons, and medium in the shorter clubs. I never had any issues with these either. The new AWT 2.0's seem to have a bigger range of stiffness from long to short, and some people that liked CFS found the ATW 2.0 short irons a little harsh. My biggest notice regarding the new version is how light the long irons felt. To each their own on the shaft thing but I don't think there are any bad shafts here, but I'd put Z-Z65 at the top of the heap.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Visually there are more weight in the toe but it doesn't mean the CG of the club head is also shifted more toe-ward. The whole club head is designed to complement the added toe weight to increase MOI/forgiveness and still keeping the CG neutral.

PING G430 LST 9°
PING G430 LST FW #3
PING G430 HY #2
PING G410 Crossover #3
PING i525 #5,
PING i59 #6-PW
PING Glide 4.0 50°, 54°, 60°
PING PLD Anser 2D, Patina finish

OP, if you can score a set of G5's w/ AWTs, that would be a nice find. The AWT was a better performing shaft than the stock CS Lite, IMO. As others said, they're almost all interchangeable, so if it was me, I'd take a long look at which ones appeal looks wise. If you don't mind the fat bottom girls, I would suggest the G15's. If you don't want too much junk in the trunk, I'd street you towards the G5's or G25's. Those 3 have been my favorite of the G line. Be sure you find a set that properly fits your specs. Ping Webfit is a great starting point. Good luck..

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

• 2 weeks later...

Had a fitting yesterday. Independent golf store had demo day, fitter was not a store employee. Long story short, Ping web fit had me G series, red dot, AWT 2.0 R, -0.25. Hitting the best with Gmax, blue dot, CFS Graphite R flex, -0.25. Never thought I would go upright. Unfortunately Gmax's are not in the budget.

Looking at Ping Website. G&Gmax lie specs match with prior G series models, butloft and length differ, G&Gmax lofts are stronger 8i to 4i and longer by +0.25" or more across all clubs.

Based on my thoughts, blue dot lie angle matches from Gmax back down thru at least G15. But my rec's of -0.25" for length in Gmax will match std length for G25 and older. Anyone disagree on my length observation?

Ping G30 4H R

Srixon Soft Feel