$37.28 to PARK at the Players Championship on Saturday

DaddySwagMaster

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never have paid $500 and doubt I will. But then I don't own a Rolex or Bugatti either but don't think they should lower their prices.

Just differing opinions on our system. I believe it works fairly, there are no rights to certain products at a discount that others will pay more for.

I don't think Rolex or Bugatti should lower their prices either.

Unfortunately your not getting my point. Either I am not articulating it properly or you just don't understand what I am saying.

You said, or at least I understood, that Pebble should lower their prices because they could still make a decent profit. And that there Red Sox should lower prices for the same reason, even though they sell out every game. Did I read that wrong?

No, you are correct.

Never have paid $500 and doubt I will. But then I don't own a Rolex or Bugatti either but don't think they should lower their prices.

Just differing opinions on our system. I believe it works fairly, there are no rights to certain products at a discount that others will pay more for.

Unfortunately your not getting my point. Either I am not articulating it properly or you just don't understand what I am saying.

You said, or at least I understood, that Pebble should lower their prices because they could still make a decent profit. And that there Red Sox should lower prices for the same reason, even though they sell out every game. Did I read that wrong?

No, you are correct.

Then I guess we just disagree on what a fair profit it and how commodities(in this case entertainment) should be priced.

Titleist TSR3 9° Tensei Pro Blue 60 

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

No, you are correct.

Then I guess we just disagree on what a fair profit it and how commodities(in this case entertainment) should be priced.

Yes, that would be correct too. :-)

Not to derail, but wanted to interject something that has bothered me for awhile regarding "golf and capitalism" and "public - everybody can play" golf courses.

Just a few years ago during the U.S Open broadcast at Pebble, I remember Nick Faldo (i believe it was him) mention on air that it only cost $11 to play Pebble Beach back in whatever date. Jim Nantz then responded that it was all "relative"... that minimum wage was only $1.50, hamburgers cost $.25 etc. and it was brushed over.

But ponder this. The guy working at McDonalds at the end of an 8 hour day would have made $12. With this one day's earnings, he could have played Pebble Beach on his day off and even afforded to buy hamburgers for his family. Now it would require a full week of work to play. That doesn't seem very relative to me.

Pebble Beach, Chambers Bay, Whistling Straits, Bandon Dunes, etc, etc.. Public golf?

That's one aspect, but other things like the travel to the corse for people all over the world is significantly easier and cheaper. Thus the demand has grown exponentially along with the price. If all tee times are actually sold, then the rate is too low. They should price the course so it is around 85% full to maximize revenue and the experience for the customer.

No, you are correct.

That's communism, comrade.

No, you are correct.

+1

"It's morally wrong to allow a sucker to keep his money." ~~ W. C. Fields

Let the market work. Reduce prices if attendance is down.

With respect - everyone who has a TV can watch the event essentially for free.

Free.

No, you are correct.

Yes, that would be correct too. :-)

Interesting idea that someone outside of the business can somehow determine what is a "fair" profit, for non-essential items. Personally, I'm grateful that I live in a time and place where there is some governmental influence on what I will be charged for electricity, natural gas to heat my home, water, etc.

But when it comes to entertainment, who is to determine what is "fair" and what is not, and why should it even matter? I think it's a shame that today's 12 year old baseball fans can't have the fun at a Major League Baseball game, that I did in 1968, essentially for "lawn mower" money, but "fair" has nothing to do with it. When I got old enough to understand how baseball's "Reserve Clause" restricted player movement and hence their salaries, I thought that was unfair to the players. And I still think so. So, in essence, a big part of why I was able to go to the park for so little money was due to a grossly unfair labor practice.

"Fair" is what the market will bear.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

Doesn't seem out of the ordinary for a large sporting event.

what sporting events are you attending? I've been to many NFL games for the Miami Dolphins, and the most we ever paid there was $25. This is absurd for a PGA Tour event IMHO, especially when you don't have a choice but to park on site, as the golf course is many miles from anything.

Park somewhere else and grab an Uber for like $5.

have you ever been the TPC Sawgrass during the Players? Um, yeah, this doesn't exist.

Try attending a game in Boston, good lord they want your first born child if you wanna park within city limits for a Sox, Celtics, Bruins game.

Don't even get me started on parking for Patriots games. Route 1 is a damn nightmare and then you pay a MINIMUM of $50 to park if not more.

Like the others said, parking at events costs money if you don't like it don't go. Obviously you can call it what you want: greed, cash grab, excessive, whatever. I don't disagree with any of them but is is what it is. At the end of the day, someone else will pay it if you don't

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

I paid 40 Canadian dollars a night to park @ my hotel in Niagra falls.

The average Peking cost for a Phillies/eagles game is 25$ a car. It's brutal these days.

When they played the AT&T national @ Aronomink a few years ago, we were allowed to park @ the local community college and they had free bus loops going. I guess times are changing. Try taking an Uber?

So don't go?

Since I live over 2 hours away, that thought crossed my mind immediately. I'm getting military tickets for $25 each, so I do find it kind of insane that parking is more than a ticket is.

And if I could find two other people to carpool with, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Most people in Tallahassee don't have the passion and love for the game of golf that I do.

Granted, the more I read responses like this to my posts, the less and less I feel that passion and love for the game of golf.

And I find it laughable that someone was actually stupid enough to pay upwards of $50 for parking at an event. I wouldn't even pay that much for a ticket to something, so some of you who seem to have an unlimited budget for sporting events, just keep in mind that not everyone here makes 6 figures a year or more. Heck, some of us are just able to afford the $50 a month I get for a membership at an out of county golf course.

In short, the general economics of the GolfWRKs crowd is slightly skewed and has lost touch with reality.

Spending $50 for parking isn't stupid if you can afford it.

R11s 9.0*
i20 2& 4-u
CG16 54*
SM5 58*
Eye 2 62*

So don't go?

Since I live over 2 hours away, that thought crossed my mind immediately. I'm getting military tickets for $25 each, so I do find it kind of insane that parking is more than a ticket is.

And if I could find two other people to carpool with, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Most people in Tallahassee don't have the passion and love for the game of golf that I do.

Granted, the more I read responses like this to my posts, the less and less I feel that passion and love for the game of golf.

And I find it laughable that someone was actually stupid enough to pay upwards of $50 for parking at an event. I wouldn't even pay that much for a ticket to something, so some of you who seem to have an unlimited budget for sporting events, just keep in mind that not everyone here makes 6 figures a year or more. Heck, some of us are just able to afford the $50 a month I get for a membership at an out of county golf course.

In short, the general economics of the GolfWRKs crowd is slightly skewed and has lost touch with reality.

Parking is barely over half the ticket price. Your reduced cost of entry has no bearing on this comparison. If you got in free would you complain parking was more than that?

Titleist TSR3 9° Tensei Pro Blue 60 

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Don't even get me started on parking for Patriots games. Route 1 is a damn nightmare and then you pay a MINIMUM of $50 to park if not more.

Let's see...

1) Pats have won 4 of the last 14 Super Bowls (out of 5 trips in that span)

2) Taxpayers didn't pay a single dime of the facility's construction

3) The two most valuable assets (Brady & Belichick) were bargain pickups that have flowered into First-Ballot HOF'ers and two of the most decorated performers in their positions.

Yeah, I don't feel bad for you (from a guy whose team gave you Belichick). :black eye:

Let's see...

3) The two most valuable assets (Brady & Belichick) were bargain pickups that have flowered into First-Ballot HOF'ers and two of the most decorated performers in their positions.

Yeah, I don't feel bad for you (from a guy whose team gave you Belichick). :black eye:

There is no way in Hell a stadium would be built on taxpayer money in this state thats why and Im getting totally off subject here the city had to retract the Olympic bid.

So don't go?

That's not true. Just because someone can afford something, doesn't mean its smart to spend money on it.

I wanted a new driver recently. I can afford to walk into a store and buy a brand new Taylor Made driver. It won't have an impact on my budget. But I also know that Taylor Made drivers drop in value in 6 months. So I decided not to buy it because I thought it would be a stupid thing to spend money on.

The same thing goes for parking and sporting events. Can I go to a baseball game? Sure, and sometimes I do. But I don't go to sporting events as much as I used to. And its because I don't want to spend $50 to park, buy $9 beers and pay $100 to sit in mediocre seats. It's not an affordability issue. Its being smart about how I choose to spend my money.

Let's see...

There is no way in Hell a stadium would be built on taxpayer money in this state thats why and Im getting totally off subject here the city had to retract the Olympic bid.

Do you really think MA could figure how to host the Olympics without going way over budget? That little tunnel project is still fresh in everyone's mind.

So don't go?

That's not true. Just because someone can afford something, doesn't mean its smart to spend money on it.

I wanted a new driver recently. I can afford to walk into a store and buy a brand new Taylor Made driver. It won't have an impact on my budget. But I also know that Taylor Made drivers drop in value in 6 months. So I decided not to buy it because I thought it would be a stupid thing to spend money on.

The same thing goes for parking and sporting events. Can I go to a baseball game? Sure, and sometimes I do. But I don't go to sporting events as much as I used to. And its because I don't want to spend $50 to park, buy $9 beers and pay $100 to sit in mediocre seats. It's not an affordability issue. Its being smart about how I choose to spend my money.

I think the point is that people can't apply their own cost-benefit rules to others who have a completely different income.

Like one of the 1,000,000,000,000 "Is a CT/009 really worth the price?" threads.

Do you really think MA could figure how to host the Olympics without going way over budget? That little tunnel project is still fresh in everyone's mind.

#BigDig :black eye:

No, you are correct.

As I said, repeatedly (which you obviously chose to ignore), I am all for capitalism and making a buck. But, if you think $6.00 is a reasonable price for a bottle of water, go ahead and pay it. If you think $500 is reasonable for a round of golf, go ahead and pay it. If you want to pay $400 to $500 to take a wife and a couple of kids to a baseball game, be my guest.

As PT Barnum said, "There is a sucker born every minute."

Two things jump out to me. One has been discussed ad nauseum, but I am surprised no one has mentioned the second.

1) $37 to park is absurd. Especially if it is true that the best alternative is you have to pay to park in the lot that you then have to pay for the shuttle bus.

2) Writing to Tim Finchem about parking at the Players is like writing to Obama because your White House tour guide was rude. He is the commissioner of the PGA Tour. You could have tried writing to the Pleayers' Championship's Operations Manager, Tournament Director, or any number or more reasonable people. I mean, did you really think the COMMISSIONER OF A MAJOR SPORTS LEAGUE was going to respond to a letter about parking?

Let the market work. Reduce prices if attendance is down.

With respect - everyone who has a TV can watch the event essentially for free.

Free.

WOW...your TV is free? I have to pay quite a bit for the monthly cable bill, and those greedy SOBs at Best Buy even made me pay for the TV... :swoon:

Not mine - I'm a capitalist so I pay for high end cable and communications....it's the price of living in America these days.

But to your stupid point - yes - tv sets can be had for free. If you're a cheapskate - go to the local dump - people are dumping them off every day and many are in working order (my church has salvaged these for poor families). Why? B/c the dumpers want new tv's and nobody will take the old ones. So yes - if you're poor you can get a free one. Walmart always has a cheap set for $100 or less.

As for the broadcast - if you live in a major city - over-the-air HD is available for major networks for free. Just add a ".1/2/3/4 etc" to the channel selection on your tv.

Next question?

Looked into alternatives, and the only thing I could come up with is parking at the South Beach Regional Shopping Center (4.4 miles away) and using Uber. Disclaimer - I've never used Uber before, and they have different pricing levels, but the base rate was supposedly $7-10 using their site calculator.

Back to Alternatives. Little known local solutions. One that I use every year. Go to the Marriott parking lot, valet park, $35 this year. Go through the hotel, past the pool and take the walking path to the entrance by the 13th green. Much shorter walk, no gravel parking lot to deal with. Thursday and Friday, should be no problem getting a spot. Saturday and Sunday a little more problematic, probably have to get there fairly early.

The other solution, that we used when we got there late morning on Saturday and the Marriott parking lot was full. Go to Mulligans across the street in the Sawgrass Village shopping center. Have lunch and a beer. Get a parking pass to put on your dashboard and leave your car there. Walk to the Marriott across the street and take the aforementioned walking path to the 13th tee entrance. I think it was either free or $10 to park there, plus your lunch.

Finally. Bring your bicycle. Park at South Beach Shopping Center 4.4 miles away. Ride your bike and leave in the secured bicycle parking lot near the Clubhouse. Sidewalks most of the way. Total cost--donation of $5 to Charity running the program.

Gets discounted military tickets, complains about parking costs. If you don't like it don't go. Parking at a Nats game is $35 and they play 81 home games. Only way to counteract the money grab is to speak with your feet and not attend. Also Saturday and Sunday are aired for fee OTA on CBS. You don't need cable to watch golf, and I love it.

As I said, repeatedly (which you obviously chose to ignore), I am all for capitalism and making a buck. But, if you think $6.00 is a reasonable price for a bottle of water, go ahead and pay it. If you think $500 is reasonable for a round of golf, go ahead and pay it. If you want to pay $400 to $500 to take a wife and a couple of kids to a baseball game, be my guest.

As PT Barnum said, "There is a sucker born every minute."

By your words, you don't understand capitalism or how a free market economy works. Lots of people pay $500 for a round. Or at least enough people pay that the course gets the revenue that it wants. Same with baseball games. Capitalism is a two way street. Sellers are free to set their price and buyers are free to pay it or not. While I choose to not pay what I consider exorbitant prices I'm not so shallow as to imply that those that do are suckers.

Two things jump out to me. One has been discussed ad nauseum, but I am surprised no one has mentioned the second...(D)id you really think the COMMISSIONER OF A MAJOR SPORTS LEAGUE was going to respond to a letter about parking?

I implied as much in an earlier post, noting that it's no surprise the Commissioner of the PGA doesn't devote a portion of each day to answering complaint letters. As you say, there are logical channels to express dissatisfaction. Last year after attending the PGA Championship, I emailed some constructive comments to the organizing committee and a PGA officer (Secretary Suzy Whaley). I received prompt replies acknowledging my input. My impression, though, is that mere acknowledgment and thanks wouldn't satisfy the OP, iykwim.