2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Confessions 12 --- Exploding Heads

Conrad1953

Having just joined a club this year, one of the things I'm looking forward to is meeting some of the other members and trying to get into some regular matches. At this point, having played through college and a pretty fair amount of tournament golf, I need some form of competition or money game to keep my interest. I have a really hard time playing a casual round and staying interested. I'm hoping there are some good players at my club who do a league type thing, but I haven't been around long enough to know.

I know how little I've got to play during school, and that's with playing on a club team, I am terrified of how little I will get to play once I start working...

Wow, good statement Ay... I kind of remember that too, wondering how much I would get to play once a good job came along. I do remember there was a league, and there was time for that, but for me there wasn't much other time for practice outside the league. I was also fairly newly married to my wife, and time with her was (is to this day) still very important, so yeah, joining your club was probably a very good move, especially if you're single. Hope with summer coming and all you get to work it out now so you can arrange to play more as you'd like to...

Here's a follow up on my article yesterday about Muirfield.

Sounds like a horrible club and exactly the sort of place I would despise:

'Muirfield is ostensibly a snooty lunch and drinking club which, unfortunately, happens to have a wonderful links attached. For outsiders, the feeling of unease is instant. Visitors feel no reason whatsoever to hang around.

There is also more than an undercurrent of discrimination. No other explanation can be offered for a membership policy that has always excluded women. The tales are endless, such as that of a female executive of the European Tour having to eat in the Muirfield kitchen at the staging of a Senior Open Championship because she wasn’t permitted in the clubhouse.'

https://www.theguard...dmit-women-golf

I love seeing the home pics. Some beautiful homes GLK, Sixty and Scoster!

We call our home our "cottage" cause when we downsized, we DOWNSIZED.

We actually live in town, in the town we live in (huh?), but it's a rustic little

neighborhood of about 20 homes in a cove near the boat ramp. Our house

is the smallest house and the furthest house from the water, lol, on about

a 1 acre lot. Some of the lots are up to 3 acres I think.

I have some pics and tried to post them last time you posted pics GLK

but I kept getting the "file size too large" message and gave up posting

them.

Someday I'll figure out how to post the pics though they're getting old

and outdated now.

I will second that, Rad. Some very nice places there indeed. I look forward to seeing your pics too.

We were very lucky to have stumbled into it and buy it - we avoided a bidding war by about 1 day.

We've had 2 unsolicited offers to buy it in the 2 years that we have owned it. Think we might be able

to sell it when we decided it's time.

Very nice house Sir. Looks like you have some amazing views.

Thanks.

These were the views from our previous house in Naperville. Much improved. Should have seen them in 1996 when we

got 17 inches of rain in one day. LOL.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

DeNin, I was thinking about all this bounce stuff (which I am staying well and truly out of, by the way) and given your commitment to science, it made me wonder if you're familiar with the book 'Bad Science by Ben Goldacre. It's a great book which I think you'd enjoy.

Goldacre is essentially on a mission to expose bad, poorly conducted scientific experiments and those who incorrectly misinterpret scientific studies for a cheap headline, i.e. the media. I know you are an engineer and the book is more medically oriented (Goldacre is a Doctor), however as someone who appreciates the sanctity of science, it's a great read.

His website, though primitive, has some great content too.

http://www.badscience.net/

It's similar to this John Oliver piece on Scientific studies. Now, despite being a fellow Englishman, I don't actually find Oliver that funny, but he does make some good points:

'Muirfield is ostensibly a snooty lunch and drinking club which, unfortunately, happens to have a wonderful links attached. For outsiders, the feeling of unease is instant. Visitors feel no reason whatsoever to hang around.

There is also more than an undercurrent of discrimination. No other explanation can be offered for a membership policy that has always excluded women. The tales are endless, such as that of a female executive of the European Tour having to eat in the Muirfield kitchen at the staging of a Senior Open Championship because she wasn’t permitted in the clubhouse.'

I want no part of any club where my wife cannot play and eat and drink alongside me. This sounds worse than Augusta. I don't want to support the Masters for similar reasons, but I have developed a habit of watching it which is hard to let go of.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

I love seeing the home pics. Some beautiful homes GLK, Sixty and Scoster!

We call our home our "cottage" cause when we downsized, we DOWNSIZED.

We actually live in town, in the town we live in (huh?), but it's a rustic little

neighborhood of about 20 homes in a cove near the boat ramp. Our house

is the smallest house and the furthest house from the water, lol, on about

a 1 acre lot. Some of the lots are up to 3 acres I think.

I have some pics and tried to post them last time you posted pics GLK

but I kept getting the "file size too large" message and gave up posting

them.

Someday I'll figure out how to post the pics though they're getting old

and outdated now.

get that garage all fixed up?

I'm still waiting on the roofer - guess I should have pinned him down on specific time this afternoon - he called about 20 minutes ago said he was on his way.

such fun

had a house in the neigbhorhood that needed a new roof and is getting one - it was for sale - think it was a foreclosure - went down there yesterday to see

if the roofers were there - it rained in the am - they didn't show up - but i wandered into the house and found a guy redoing the MB tile floor - the place was

an utter disaster - multiple water stains on the ceilings, tore up all the flooring , .... Looks like a flip or someone who got it very cheaply and are doing a complete

redo. Not sure that flipping here in E. Tn is a good idea - Sevier county has a high level of poverty and if it wasn't for Dollywood and the tourism I can imagine

how much more poor it would be and probably was back in the 80s and before. 300K for a house around here is a mansion - lots of double wides.

It's starting to turn up a bit and some growth is happening - but it's safe to say it will never challenge western areas of Knoxville for affluence - best views of the smokies,

lots of friendly people, what else do you need? We though of being over at Marysville area but the view won out over the convenience of shopping etc.

Have shopped enough but morning coffee with smokies just doesn't get old - and though not complete dark the night sky can be spectacular - along with the circling hawks and the

red fox that lives in the wooded area next to our house.

Yes, the garage came out perfect. We went with a proper HVAC set up. Cost

us $3200 but well worth it. It turned out the garage door was already insulated

so we had little to do since the garage was already "finished". We just repainted,

put down some flooring, had the HVAC system installed and moved her stuff in.

Easy peasy.

I have to say something. We had that new HVAC system installed in the house

and the one downstairs in the garage and they are the bomb. They are quiet

and efficient. Anyone who needs an upgrade, once they get past the initial cost,

will be very pleased at how little electricity these new systems use.

When we are home in the summer with the AC going our electric bill is 1/3 what

it was prior to the change. We have no fear of a scary bill now when we set the

temp in the low 70s.

We even leave it on when we're not home now, which we never dared do before.

Actually we were told to always leave it on as it is better for the system than

turning it on and off.

Apparently Muirfield is in danger of losing it's spot on The Open rota if they continue to block the admission of female members at the club.

https://www.theguard...t-women-members

According to a letter from the club membership:

“Change must come slowly and for choice should be evolutionary. A traditional resistance to change is one of the foundations of our unique position in golf and our reputation.”

As an OGA member, far be it for me to compliment the R&A, but it's good to see them finally doing the right thing and taking a stand against sexism in golf. There are plenty of other venues that could fill the void left by Muirfield in any case.

That is the great thing about being a OGA Member---- Think what you want have your own opinion and stand by it--- And by all means play what clubs and balls you want to---- As Frank Sinatra said "Right or wrong I did it my way!"--- So do it your way

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

I want no part of any club where my wife cannot play and eat and drink alongside me. This sounds worse than Augusta. I don't want to support the Masters for similar reasons, but I have developed a habit of watching it which is hard to let go of.

I agree with you 110% If my wife ain't welcome then they can go to the eternal place of damnation !

Scotee Happy Birthday yeah I know I am late but I have been trucking my butt off. Welcome to this extension of mad madness there 19--- I will not not be on much during the week because between trucking and sleeping I am busy. Been pulling 55 to 60 hrs a week yep Rad I feel like a real trucker again!

LOL Stu, you're really pounding the asphalt lately. I hope you have a good

air ride cab and seat that gives a smooth low bounce ride. We need to go

easy on our aging bodies so they're available for golf!

Shoot my old truck was good but this one is great 2015 Mack Pinnacle. Has the air adjustable lumbar and the driver's seat is heated and cooled and the stereo is kick butt. Rides like a Cadillac I have named it the Cadillac Mack. I will get pics when it is cleaned up it is rainy here and the shredder is as muddy as a dirt race track. Did not have but 45 K on it when I started driving it part time as of today it has 59K on it but it is permantly assigned to me

Scotee Happy Birthday yeah I know I am late but I have been trucking my butt off. Welcome to this extension of mad madness there 19--- I will not not be on much during the week because between trucking and sleeping I am busy. Been pulling 55 to 60 hrs a week yep Rad I feel like a real trucker again!

LOL Stu, you're really pounding the asphalt lately. I hope you have a good

air ride cab and seat that gives a smooth low bounce ride. We need to go

easy on our aging bodies so they're available for golf!

Shoot my old truck was good but this one is great 2015 Mack Pinnacle. Has the air adjustable lumbar and the driver's seat is heated and cooled and the stereo is kick butt. Rides like a Cadillac I have named it the Cadillac Mack. I will get pics when it is cleaned up it is rainy here and the shredder is as muddy as a dirt race track. Did not have but 45 K on it when I started driving it part time as of today it has 59K on it but it is permantly assigned to me

The driver's seat is cooled?? Hot dam, I would love that! You must be

living right my friend.

We were very lucky to have stumbled into it and buy it - we avoided a bidding war by about 1 day.

We've had 2 unsolicited offers to buy it in the 2 years that we have owned it. Think we might be able

Thanks.

These were the views from our previous house in Naperville. Much improved. Should have seen them in 1996 when we

These are NOT the kind of photos you put in the listing pics :)

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

Augusta long ago (if they ever didn't) allowed women at the club, dining or playing. Membership was a different story until recently.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Thanks.

These are NOT the kind of photos you put in the listing pics :)

Wow doggee. That's some serious drifting. If it doesn't sell by winter you may want to temporarily pull it off the market - we did from Oct 14 - end of Feb 15.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

Was at the 94 open. 100 almost everyday. Going again this year. Think it will be cooler. Savanah first. Little bit of chucktown. Then the old hometown stomping grounds of the burgh. Chicago in July. Then san diego in late September followed by hawaii. Our plans have been made.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

Was at the 94 open. 100 almost everyday. Going again this year. Think it will be cooler. Savanah first. Little bit of chucktown. Then the old hometown stomping grounds of the burgh. Chicago in July. Then san diego in late September followed by hawaii. Our plans have been made.

I remember that one - the first time Els won I believe. The players were just wilting in the heat. I remember seeing Monty as red as a beetroot with shirt soaked in sweat looking very unhappy (as he often did). Tough conditions for sure.

A few ruminations . . .

Beautiful homes gentlemen.

I didn't realize that GLK was a senior citizen until today (not that I have an issue visiting the geriatric ward ; )

I despise elitism.

I like John Oliver.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Sounds great. Savor and enjoy. The golden years are gonna be

golden, indeed.

Augusta long ago (if they ever didn't) allowed women at the club, dining or playing. Membership was a different story until recently.

Hence my issues with them. I'm so conflicted about the Masters that it isn't funny. I have major issues with the elitism, but I grew up not caring about that due to sheer ignorance. I was just a kid that simply fell in love with the tournament and the course itself. But now that I know it is run by a bunch of elitist 1%'ers with a clear gender bias, I'm having to revisit my position on being a fan of the tournament. Ahhh...the ignorance of youth was soooo blissful!!!

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Thank you for the League Play ruminations. If anyone has more to contribute on the subject I'm all eyes.

As I've stated, my challenge with league participation is my inability to lock in to a weekly schedule as my wife switches between days/afternoons/midnight's each month.

Most of the leagues at my home course appear to be populated by really nice individuals (given my dealings at the clubhouse and on the course). It would be nice to plug in with passionate golfers who are looking to be social.

I truly enjoy playing early morning rounds as a single, but am missing the social aspects of the game.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

A few ruminations . . .

I didn't realize that GLK was a senior citizen until today (not that I have an issue visiting the geriatric ward ; )

I despise elitism.

I like John Oliver.

I can assure you, PD. glk doesn't swing the club like a senior. He keeps himself in good shape and puts a good move on the ball.

A few ruminations . . .

I despise elitism.

I like John Oliver.

I can assure you, PD. glk doesn't swing the club like a senior. He keeps himself in good shape and puts a good move on the ball.

I've seen enough of the senior tour to know that 60 is the new 30.

Besides GLK sounds like a rap moniker.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Hence my issues with them. I'm so conflicted about the Masters that it isn't funny. I have major issues with the elitism, but I grew up not caring about that due to sheer ignorance. I was just a kid that simply fell in love with the tournament and the course itself. But now that I know it is run by a bunch of elitist 1%'ers with a clear gender bias, I'm having to revisit my position on being a fan of the tournament. Ahhh...the ignorance of youth was soooo blissful!!!

Augusta is pretty mild and has changed anyway.

I'm sure there are still plenty of private clubs that are worse but don't

make the news. Some will never host a major cause they don't want

the unwashed trampling around the grounds of their cathedrals, lol.

From what I understand all the Augusta members are out on the

course helping and serving the "patrons" during the Masters. You can

spot them by their jackets I've been told. I don't think they're bad guys.

Geez, Lou Holtz is a member. He hardly carries himself as a 1%er, lol.

Thank you for the League Play ruminations. If anyone has more to contribute on the subject I'm all eyes.

As I've stated, my challenge with league participation is my inability to lock in to a weekly schedule as my wife switches between days/afternoons/midnight's each month.

Most of the leagues at my home course appear to be populated by really nice individuals (given my dealings at the clubhouse and on the course). It would be nice to plug in with passionate golfers who are looking to be social.

I truly enjoy playing early morning rounds as a single, but am missing the social aspects of the game.

I'm a little surprised PD, you are such an amiable and insightful dude here, I would imagine you would be a treat to play with, but I guess you're schedule precludes that? I love playing alone, but there's something missing, no one to compliment my good shots. and sometimes I lose focus. I prefer to play with others, except the wife and daughter (sort of kidding). When they are together, rounds tend to be a chaotic frenzy of 'can we stop talking and hit a shot?' and 'you didn't even read your putt' and 'why did you put your bag down way back there?' kind of stuff. It's like herding cats...

So far so good. 66 and deadlifting, benching, squating machine (plus I bodylastic myself into all kinds of weird positions) - my glutes are tight and fire on command. Doc gave me the big okay a few weeks ago, no skin cancer, and the bonus is no colonoscopy until 2018. Plus the lessons and practice are starting to pay off - I've been clocking 260 drives in my old age - going through the old club selection dilemma and blowing things over greens and getting "good" doubles - just trying my part to become WRX long. LOL. Maybe it's just the fast and firm of Holston.

PD - fixed that electrical problem yet?

My roofer finally showed up at 6:30 - he said he'd be by in the afternoon - guess I should have nailed him down to more specific time. 30 minutes later the ridge was fixed - turns out it was a hack job by the installer - it's fixed but could flip again - if so then I'll replace the shingles on the entire ridge - cheaper than fixing later plus drywall inside the house.

Rad - you bet - retire and the advice is to travel while your health still allows for it. My wife is a young 56 so I have to keep up. She's finally stopped talking about how she shouldn't have retired last summer - garden, taking quilting classes, and even joining me for Friday couples golf. We'll probably work in something in coming back from Hawaii - maybe another trip to the Grand Canyon. Gotta get one of my kids to take a job in Seattle - I miss visiting the northwest - our last trip was 2009 - Montana, Idaho, ....

Anyone passing through the area is welcome - we have the room - and it'd be a treat to play Holston - really lives up to the hype - virtually the same course today as when Ross designed it in 1927 - trees removed, bunkers and greens redone - McConnell golf bought the club in December and are investing a few millions in the clubhouse - the members basically put all their money into the course so the clubhouse looks all of the 90 years old that it is - I wasn't going to join until I heard McConnell bought them - have playing privileges at the other clubs including Sedgefield - site of Tiger's last round and DL III last win.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified