2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

All Nippon Modus Prototypes and Their Specs

spongerjeremy

Can anyone give me a list of all the different modus prototypes and their specs (bend point, launch, spin, stiffness profile ei chart, etc...) and how they compare to what is available for retail. I have the 130 stiff and just want to know what other versions are out there that I might want to try. Tried to get the info from Nippon and they would give me anything. Any info would help. Thanks a lot!

Currently, there are 4 MODUS3 iron shaft models, (TOUR105, TOUR120, TOUR125, and TOUR130), and 12-15 other Nippon Shaft N.S. Pro iron shaft models. The MODUS3 current models really represent different shaft models for different swing types. There is quite a bit of information on this forum about different golfers experiences, especially with regards to the MODUS3 models.

Regarding the prototype models on tour- they really are prototypes, in that changes are made in reaction to the player testing, and if a prototype model version performs well, that particular prototype version may "graduate" to become a MODUS3 model available for sale. However, it is difficult to list all the prototype models and their specifications, as they are moving through a process of change.

I have been able to hit many of the different models, some prototypes, and as a fitter, I think all of the current models are great, and I am guessing that the "prototype journey" is a part of why these current 4 MODUS3 models work so well.

I know that my reply is not the list that you are looking for, but I am just adding my thoughts.

3step

• Like 1

See the link below. I posted the comparison profiles for all the Nippon shafts that are in the Wishon database. The 125 is not available. As always, feel is going to be subjective, but that should give you a visual look at the differences between their current lineup of shafts.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1102365-it-just-me-or-are-a-lot-of-pros-switching-to-nippon-iron-shafts/page__st__2580?do=findComment&comment=12872146

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

• 3 years later...

Dang it, I knew I was missing something

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

• 1 month later...

Added 3N14 limited info

• 2 weeks later...

Mark would love to hear your thoughts on SPB X.

Callaway Paradym 🔷🔷🔷 10.5* with PVD Hulk 60 6.5 TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15* Ventus Black 7x

Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus TR Red 8X

Srixon ZX7 4-PW Nippon Modus 120X

Callaway MD4 50* S400 T.I.

Vokey SM9 54.12 S400 T.I.

Vokey SM7 58.10 BO S400 T.I.

Cameron SS NP2

Titleist ProV1X Left Dash

I hit SPB X in like 2005/2006 ish. been a while. I remember it being heavy and muted. Like a less lively S400 but heavier, like an S600. But with more mid-kick and stiffer handle. It was a dream in wedges, was low controlled launch with perfect amount of spin for me. Liked it much better than WV wedge shafts which felt oddly weighted and knuckled with lower spin for me. In full irons the SPB X was a bit too much IMO, I never did hit SPB Stiff but probably would have like them. SPB in general is the best 50%, knockdown shot, producing iron shaft I ever hit. Low laser beams at the pin. I guess more the mid/long irons were the issue. Maybe if I had the money could have tried like a SPB/SPO blended set.

As far as the protos go, I think 2S14, C10, maybe E11 and the retail 125 are closer to SPB. Obviously ORA is closer to SPO. 2T15, 3N14, E11 are kind of in the less demanding proto range for me that align with SPO.

• Like 2

I was quite excited to try the LSL2 Xs I got, shafted them up and hit the course. Shafts feel good, tiny bit less action than my ORA or retail Tour125, assume its just a hair firmer in the mid-section. This correlated for me into less kick and less feel and I ended up with about a 1/2 club shorter on my distances. I think LSL would be lower launch than some of the 115g-ish iron shafts out there, but up against my ORA proto's it wasn't able to decrease my launch by much, if any. So I think the experiment is over for me. I'm pretty sure I hit LSL stiffs back in 2016 and I assume I was properly loading/releasing them and got the desired feel and flight I wanted so I may end up looking for a set of LSL "1s" in Stiff. But I'm never disappointed by a Nippon shaft. they all still feel great and I totally understand not all of them will fit me, especially the lighter ones. I've always been a heavy shaft guy.

• 5 months later...
On 5/26/2020 at 11:50 AM, markheardjr said:

I was quite excited to try the LSL2 Xs I got, shafted them up and hit the course. Shafts feel good, tiny bit less action than my ORA or retail Tour125, assume its just a hair firmer in the mid-section. This correlated for me into less kick and less feel and I ended up with about a 1/2 club shorter on my distances. I think LSL would be lower launch than some of the 115g-ish iron shafts out there, but up against my ORA proto's it wasn't able to decrease my launch by much, if any. So I think the experiment is over for me. I'm pretty sure I hit LSL stiffs back in 2016 and I assume I was properly loading/releasing them and got the desired feel and flight I wanted so I may end up looking for a set of LSL "1s" in Stiff. But I'm never disappointed by a Nippon shaft. they all still feel great and I totally understand not all of them will fit me, especially the lighter ones. I've always been a heavy shaft guy.

Did the LSL2 become the new Modus 115?

Driver SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Hybrid:  G410 3&4H, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X 

Irons T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X 

Wedges:  T20, DG TI S400, 50/56/60

Putter:   ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:   ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Bag:  Pioneer

• 3 months later...
On 4/8/2020 at 12:14 PM, markheardjr said:

Holy necro bump batman!!!

Protos I know of:

E11 - Heavier side, similar to Tour125 IMO. Has a nice kick, low/mid flight, Mid spin. I have a stiff in my 3i gamer. Maybe north of 130.

2S14 - Heaviest out there, 136-138g, based on Tour125 with extra stiff handle & tip. Low launch and Low spin

C10 - Very similar to 2S14 IMO but slightly lighter and slightly less stiff. A beefy Tour125, maybe a touch more kick than 2S14. This is my gamer in my wedges in Stiff

2T15 - Often see this in titleists or from the UK, I have not hit it but seems to be similar to 125. I wondered it was a newer version of the 105T shaft, but I don't know much on this one.

2F15 - Lighter shaft I think in the 115/118 ish, higher launch and spin than Tour 105 but more like older 1050 shaft IMO.

DP - Proto to the retial Tour120

ORA - Modus version of Super Peening Orange. Mid launch / mid spin, like a tigher tour125 IMO. This is my gamer 4-PW.

ST - Proto to the retail Tour105

2G18 - Proto to the retail Tour130. I currently have a single S and X but games Stiffs for over a year.

LSL - Lower spin & launch but to me is a cross between tour 105 & tour 125. Closer to a Tour105 IMO.

LSL2 - A stepless LSL, unsure of any performance changes to LSL (currently own a set of X.)

A - Stepless version of retail Tour125. IMO it has a bit more kick but also a different feel at impact. I hit it once at the PGA show but have seen some on ebay.

125TX - A proto of the retail 125X but in TX. I owned a set, was amazingly stiff, like DGX7 with a touch more mid kick but stiffer tip section.

3N14 - Little info available but was told it is a typical profile with player requested tweaks. My guess is very similar to Tour125 but with some very minimal tweak to stiffness of mid section or tip. Mid kick, mid weight.

Hey I've read the whole thread. I only say this because you seem to have a lot of experience with all of these.. do you have a way to get your hands on them?

9 hours ago, Sebastian Nachilly said:

Hey I've read the whole thread. I only say this because you seem to have a lot of experience with all of these.. do you have a way to get your hands on them?

I have owned many of these sets purely by buying them on eBay when they pop up.  Nippon was nice enough to give me a few to try back in the 2014-2015 timeframe when I went to the Riviera tournament and their van was there...but I don't actively ask or have a hook-up to get what I want. I have yet to try the GOST hybrid, the Tour115 or the new Regio wood shafts. I have been trying to get my hands on a Nippon putter shaft for some time with no luck.

I did ask once for 6i version of the retail shafts and I sent them around the country to GolfWRX members to try, and then forward on. I have no idea where those shafts are right now, ha.

I never expect anything from anyone. If they offer, I will gladly accept and try and review.  My caveat is I that I review fairly, not biased. So if you give me something I don't like, I may either remain silent on it altogether, or I might say it's not for me, reasons why I think it didn't work, and leave my thoughts on who might like it and why.

Its always cool to see whats coming around next, or what an OEM is thinking for the next product. I have been part of testing, or played with engineers for several companies and its always interesting to pick their brain.  I'm not the most consistent golfer so some times I'll play a round with them and I'm obviously not pro-level. My short game bails em out a lot and makes the score look better than my swing.

As far as Nippon goes, I have their reps number. I text him from time to time if I see a new proto pop up, or maybe if I see a new pro on TV with that red silk screen and I'll ask what they have. I moved to Florida and got a job where I wasn't able to be on here as often as I used to be so I think those two things kind of got in the way of continuing a closer, on-going, relationship with them. I had hoped to run into them in Florida around the PGA show but its been virtual and I don't have my own credentials to enter and bump into them. But hopefully we continue to talk, and I'll always prioritize Nippon shafts in my irons due to their performance and feel, and never due to freebies they may pass my way. Or reviews I'm expected to write.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/2/2021 at 6:00 PM, BrickDaFunk said:

@markheardjr do you have any info on the Ascending 2’s by chance?  Weight progression and profile?

I believe this is Nippons release of the Ping stock AMT 2.0 shaft which Nippon makes for them. I am unaware if any tweaks were made. My guess is its just the Ping AMT but with Nippon branding/logos.

5 hours ago, markheardjr said:

I believe this is Nippons release of the Ping stock AMT 2.0 shaft which Nippon makes for them. I am unaware if any tweaks were made. My guess is its just the Ping AMT but with Nippon branding/logos.

Thanks. ProClubs had a new 3-PW set of Modus 3 Prototype Ascending 2’s up on the bay, but somebody already snagged them. If the profile was like the 105/125, I would have grabbed them myself.

18 hours ago, BrickDaFunk said:

Thanks. ProClubs had a new 3-PW set of Modus 3 Prototype Ascending 2’s up on the bay, but somebody already snagged them. If the profile was like the 105/125, I would have grabbed them myself.

Its probably closer to the 950 or 1050 shafts but the irons get progressively lighter from wedge to 3i. Longer clubs light. Shorter clubs heavy. I'd anticipate slightly more spin and launch than tour105.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ive  gamed  (and still do  a few of these)   all the ones up to  the last cpl of protos  and agree with  mark on his reviews.

my faves were   the 2f15s   or   the  ORA.

the 2g18s are the funkiest  flight  and are intoxicating watching them soar,  like a f16 raptor taking off.

when sergio's  on,   watch  his  mid iron ball flight , these were his shafts , its THE ..thing of beauty. 

oh  and if  somone wants   a set or 3  pm  me .

i have 

dps 

2g18s  

stx

super peening  blue s

super peening orange  s

125 x 

125 s 

120 x

monacco S

to go  due  to injury.

Edited by tsupo
  • Like 2

owari !

• 9 months later...
38 minutes ago, tpscustomclubs said:

Anyone have C10s or 2S14s in X that they’d like to unload …?

I sold or gave away all of my C10/2S14 stuff. I only keep my C10 37" wedge shaft backups as I still game that shaft. Currently I am using ORA S/X & 125S/X off and on in my irons so I really only keep those. I've decided to stick to those weights, south of 130g. 

I have a set of E11 Stiff that is like 6-PW I'm not doing anything with. But they are lighter and softer than the beastly profiles.  Good luck with your search.

I have a weird question that @markheardjr might be able to answer. I've been on a mad dash to find 120x .355 from a couple of different sources(all reputable authorized dealers) given the huge delays we're seeing.  When I'm looking at the serial codes almost all of them have an SKXXXXX designation except for the 40" 4 iron which has a XI-2E12 PRO on it.  I just want to make sure they are all correct as I've ordered to my knowledge all 120x .355.  All look to be around the same year of production.  

Any insight you might have would be awesome.  

Not sure I'm familiar with the SKXXXX serial. the XI-2E12 Pro is the 120X code, as you can see here: https://nipponshaft.com/product/steel_modus_120.php

15 hours ago, Awainer1 said:

wish they would release the 2s14 even though i know it will never happen.  such a great shaft.  And sorry you cant have mine lol

I agree, they finally released the tour115. Perhaps the next steps are a Tour95 and a Tour135 to keep extending the Modus line to more golfers. I think something around the 2S14/C10 would be a popular shaft for stronger golfers, especially in the US & Europe. Heavy, low launching, competitor to DGX7 and KBS Ctaper IMO. And a Tour135 Wedge shaft based off the C10 Stiff would sell as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, markheardjr said:

I agree, they finally released the tour115. Perhaps the next steps are a Tour95 and a Tour135 to keep extending the Modus line to more golfers. I think something around the 2S14/C10 would be a popular shaft for stronger golfers, especially in the US & Europe. Heavy, low launching, competitor to DGX7 and KBS Ctaper IMO. And a Tour135 Wedge shaft based off the C10 Stiff would sell as well.

getting my hopes up lol.  would be sweet

• 7 months later...

Just been looking for some new wedge shafts and have found someone selling a few of the proto Nippon shafts - 2G18, ORA, E11 nice and cheap. 

I'm playing X flex Modus³ Tour 115's in my irons so was wondering what the best match would be for my SM8 wedges?

I tried the Tour wedge 125's at a demo and got on well with those.

Should I be looking for a slightly heavier shaft than my 115's? 

Thanks

Steve

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour X-flex 

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind Nippon Modus ORA Prototype X

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind Nippon Modus ORA Prototype X

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind Nippon Modus ORA Prototype S

DStar #1 Putter

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X