2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Jason Day to Nike? (MERGED)

takingitdeep

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'jack used to switch clubs depending on course he was playing....lol...

say what? Did he use hybrids or the new x1e wedge? Maybe the perfect club? What clubs, other than his own brand later in his career, did he use other than McGregor? And no, there Bullseye putter does not count.

Seriously, would you please link a source on this?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

At this point, signing pros is no longer functional, and is just a pissing-contest for the companies involved. Kind of the like the expansion of the Roman Empire.

Signing Jason Day will not drive up sales of more Nike golf clubs. Nor did signing Brooks Koepka. I'm not sure if one human being purchased a Nike golf club because Brooks is using them and wearing a Nike hat.

Even as a youngster, it was super-lame to overtly wear stuff that was associated with a sports star. So freaking lame.

Anyway, people who are not pros are castigated, out loud and silently, for buying nice equipment and playing with it. So much criticism here, referencing people not good at golf showing up with new clubs and playing in a tournament.

This isn't meant to be a rant; I honestly don't think there would be a return on investment for signing Jason Day.

Think about it: "Hmmm, I'm at the golf store today to buy a new driver.... I've got it narrowed down to Nike and Cobra. Hmmm, Rickie is pretty cool. I like him better than Rory and Tiger so I'm going with the Cobra. But wait, wait, what? Jason Day now is payed money to use Nike clubs? STFU!? Ok, that sealed it for me; I'm now going with the Nike driver, just because Jason uses it"

jack used Tommy Armour (MacGregor), Muirfield, bullseye putters, them switched to macgregor putters.....he said in many interviews he would play his classic blades in most tourneys then switch to another set depending on the course.....he used wooden dowels in the butt end of the shafts for balancing.....

is any of this news to you?

jack used Tommy Armour (MacGregor), Muirfield, bullseye putters, them switched to macgregor putters.....he said in many interviews he would play his classic blades in most tourneys then switch to another set depending on the course.....he used wooden dowels in the butt end of the shafts for balancing.....

is any of this news to you?

What other set? Another set of MacGregors? He did have his irons backweighted as I recall. Don't think they were wooden but could have been.

Jacks clubs. Interesting. Seems the wooden dowels were not for counterweighting like I thought but sere like an early version of sensicore. Same irons forever though until his own line came out.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/golf-johnson-equipment-0607

http://www.golf.com/equipment/famous-five-jack-nicklaus-key-major-winning-clubs

Serious question: why does who sponsors a player matter to you? Unless you work for the company do you actually benefit? If a PGA player is wearing the same shirt as you does that make you a better golfer? Equipment I sort of understand as I am a Callaway loyalist but the clothing thing baffles me.

I think you answered your own question.

Serious question: why do you care why he cares?

Again I understand the equipment angle but clothing is irrelevant. I don't wear Callaway clothing or logos just because I use the equipment. Or am I misreading why people are interested in why he or anyone would switch sponsors.

Considering TM might be for sale, why doesn't Nike just buy the whole thing?

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

Same irons forever though until his own line came out.

http://www.golfdiges...-equipment-0607

http://www.golf.com/...r-winning-clubs

I think that confirms what I stated......plus he changed his putter a few times

Other then their irons, yeah.

Serious question: why does who sponsors a player matter to you? Unless you work for the company do you actually benefit? If a PGA player is wearing the same shirt as you does that make you a better golfer? Equipment I sort of understand as I am a Callaway loyalist but the clothing thing baffles me.

Again I understand the equipment angle but clothing is irrelevant. I don't wear Callaway clothing or logos just because I use the equipment. Or am I misreading why people are interested in why he or anyone would switch sponsors.

People like what they like. Not always just equipment. Some people will only wear a certain brand of golf shoe as well. Since you are loyal to Callaway, I would think you would understand. Unless you think Callaway makes the best everything it terms of equipment? You must have your reasons for your loyalty.

This comes under the "how much money do you need?" category.

I like Day. But, even though I'm not a big TM fan, I would lose some respect for the guy if he switched to Nike for $$$.

He's had huge success playing TM, undoubtedly already has more money than he knows what to do with.

So why switch?

I will admit, I felt this way about Rory when he moved over.... These guys seem to talk a lot about winning the trophies, but it seems when presented the opportunity, money still talks. I can't imagine there's any major golf OEM that wouldn't want Day on the roster, for the right amount I'm sure he'd jump ship.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I like Day. But, even though I'm not a big TM fan, I would lose some respect for the guy if he switched to Nike for $$$.

He's had huge success playing TM, undoubtedly already has more money than he knows what to do with.

So why switch?

I will admit, I felt this way about Rory when he moved over.... These guys seem to talk a lot about winning the trophies, but it seems when presented the opportunity, money still talks. I can't imagine there's any major golf OEM that wouldn't want Day on the roster, for the right amount I'm sure he'd jump ship.

And any major club manufacturer could do right by him. The days of Payne Stewart being told to play shovels or Pavin to play those hideous VAS Cleveland irons is over. Manufacturers more just want the company name on the bag and clubs. If Bubba wants to play the S59 for years or a Spieth and Simpson continue with older Titleist clubs that is fine.

People like what they like. Not always just equipment. Some people will only wear a certain brand of golf shoe as well. Since you are loyal to Callaway, I would think you would understand. Unless you think Callaway makes the best everything it terms of equipment? You must have your reasons for your loyalty.

I don't think loyalty is quite the correct word. I use Callaway irons and won't switch but everything else is a mix. Some Mizuno woods a Cobra driver. My wedges are actually three different manufacturers. Putters I rotate between three depending on what I feel like using that day. Balls, well doesn't matter to me that much.

So I guess I am loyal to my clubs and the irons just happen to be Callaway.

I don't really get the head to toe matching thing, clothes, bag, balls and clubs. And rooting for a player because they are sponsored by that company.

People who do that, do they root for the player because they use the equipment or do they buy the equipment because of the player?

Like if you are a huge Day fan and use all TM stuff and adidas clothes are you going to switch if he does? Or if you are a Nike completist are you going to all of a sudden become a Day fan if he comes over? How does that work? Is that even a thing?

I don't think loyalty is quite the correct word. I use Callaway irons and won't switch but everything else is a mix. Some Mizuno woods a Cobra driver. My wedges are actually three different manufacturers. Putters I rotate between three depending on what I feel like using that day. Balls, well doesn't matter to me that much.

So I guess I am loyal to my clubs and the irons just happen to be Callaway.

I don't really get the head to toe matching thing, clothes, bag, balls and clubs. And rooting for a player because they are sponsored by that company.

People who do that, do they root for the player because they use the equipment or do they buy the equipment because of the player?

Like if you are a huge Day fan and use all TM stuff and adidas clothes are you going to switch if he does? Or if you are a Nike completist are you going to all of a sudden become a Day fan if he comes over? How does that work? Is that even a thing?

I don't. I was just commenting on the post where you said you don't get people being loyal to one brand. I am not loyal to any one brand myself but I just thought someone who like nike shirts, for instance, is any different than somebody preferring to play all Callaway. I was under the impression from your post that you were all in on Callaway.

If I'm Jason I stay where I am a little more "king of the hill"...Not that Nike wouldn't make him feel special but they have Tiger and Rory...two's company...Three's a crowd. Somebody is getting less that stellar marketing position

Nike had Lebron, Kobe and Durant. Marketing not a problem.

I understand that but golf and basketball are FAR from even being in the same universe. totally different fan base, totally different culture, totally different drivers. golf is the ultimate individual sport...there is only one number one. Basketball and it's fashion also appeals to the people who don't even play.

At this point, signing pros is no longer functional, and is just a pissing-contest for the companies involved. Kind of the like the expansion of the Roman Empire.

Signing Jason Day will not drive up sales of more Nike golf clubs. Nor did signing Brooks Koepka. I'm not sure if one human being purchased a Nike golf club because Brooks is using them and wearing a Nike hat.

Even as a youngster, it was super-lame to overtly wear stuff that was associated with a sports star. So freaking lame.

Anyway, people who are not pros are castigated, out loud and silently, for buying nice equipment and playing with it. So much criticism here, referencing people not good at golf showing up with new clubs and playing in a tournament.

This isn't meant to be a rant; I honestly don't think there would be a return on investment for signing Jason Day.

Think about it: "Hmmm, I'm at the golf store today to buy a new driver.... I've got it narrowed down to Nike and Cobra. Hmmm, Rickie is pretty cool. I like him better than Rory and Tiger so I'm going with the Cobra. But wait, wait, what? Jason Day now is payed money to use Nike clubs? STFU!? Ok, that sealed it for me; I'm now going with the Nike driver, just because Jason uses it"

kids focus on that stuff all the time, when I say kids I'm referring to junior golfers, high school golfers and even guys in college. I see it at demo events all the time people go which model is the one that Rory is playing, same with the cobra rep which one is rickie playing, people like to play the same clubs as the guys on tour because it makes them feel like they could possibly be like them. That's marketing. That's why Nike is successful, and why all companies have millions of dollars invested in marketing.

Plus all of this is irrelevant because Bridgestone is buying TMag solely for ball purposes. Combination of those two will be extremely close to Titleist in terms of tour presence and sales. So Day and DJ welcome to team Nike can't wait to have y'all next year.

So why switch?

And any major club manufacturer could do right by him. The days of Payne Stewart being told to play shovels or Pavin to play those hideous VAS Cleveland irons is over. Manufacturers more just want the company name on the bag and clubs. If Bubba wants to play the S59 for years or a Spieth and Simpson continue with older Titleist clubs that is fine.

So true today however that is What drove Vijay from Staff when they forced him to Play the RM(Robert Mendrella) Tour Forged Mid Sized CBs, replacing his Fg51's. Ironically, Mendrella himself was in Vijay's corner though the senior execs wouldn't budge. Soon Vijay was gone. Have a nice week :) Maddie

Has anyone's game been better after switching to Nike?

Tony Finau won a tourney with Nike equipment.

who???

Damn troll.

you had to edit that post? hahahah

it was a joke silly boy

Lol, I had to fix a mis spelled word. Had to save myself the embarrassment.
Cobra fly z+ Aldila rogue black
TM aero burner mini driver aldila rogue black
TM R9 3&5 wood stock
2016 mizuno jpx ez 4-gw
Cleveland cg16 50,56,62
Odyssey black series #5

So why switch?

So true today however that is What drove Vijay from Staff when they forced him to Play the RM(Robert Mendrella) Tour Forged Mid Sized CBs, replacing his Fg51's. Ironically, Mendrella himself was in Vijay's corner though the senior execs wouldn't budge. Soon Vijay was gone. Have a nice week :) Maddie

Yep-that was pretty much the end of that era of manufacturers "insisting" players use certain clubs. IMO now it is more brand recognition on tour than specific model.

So why switch?

Yep-that was pretty much the end of that era of manufacturers "insisting" players use certain clubs. IMO now it is more brand recognition on tour than specific model.

I believe this to also be true now.
Cobra fly z+ Aldila rogue black
TM aero burner mini driver aldila rogue black
TM R9 3&5 wood stock
2016 mizuno jpx ez 4-gw
Cleveland cg16 50,56,62
Odyssey black series #5

Jordan brand

Tiger and Nike

More recently, Steph Curry's impact to Under Armour sales

Sales figures speak for themselves. The masses want what top players use. Even if you think it's "lame"

Jordan brand

Tiger and Nike

More recently, Steph Curry's impact to Under Armour sales

Sales figures speak for themselves. The masses want what top players use. Even if you think it's "lame"

Market research shows that a large part of this can be subliminal as well. Walk into a store and what brands are you drawn to? It will be the brands you see on tour whether you want to admit it or not. A brand you do not see on tour and have not heard of will be deemed "inferior" by your subconscious.

This study reported by Golf Digest is 6 years old, but it is still relevant that your viewpoint is completely wrong. $60 million dollars in profit in just golf balls alone to Nike from Tiger Woods over a span of 10 years. The top athletes do influence purchase decisions. Under Armor recorded amazing profits after Spieth's Masters and US Open wins last year.