2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Jason Day to Nike? (MERGED)

takingitdeep

This comes under the "how much money do you need?" category.

I like Day. But, even though I'm not a big TM fan, I would lose some respect for the guy if he switched to Nike for $$$.

He's had huge success playing TM, undoubtedly already has more money than he knows what to do with.

So why switch?

I hear this often about many sports where someone gets angry because (insert pro athlete's name) goes to another team for more money and a longer contract. You can't sit hear and tell me you wouldn't do the same thing in your profession. Anyone trying to build a better retirement and financial stability would.

Bill Gates has more money than he knows what to do with and while Jason Day is more than financially comfortable, he's only in his 20's and likely has 50 more years or so of life. He's gifted, so why wouldn't he take advantage of his talent and build that same stability for his kids, grandkids, great grandkids, etc. in signing a huge GUARANTEED contract with a manufacturer known to sign 9 digit deals.

I'm really not angry and I hear this side of the argument all the time. But if Jason Day has an IQ over 50 (and I think he does), he and his family are already set for life. As are his grandkids, etc, etc, etc. I'm sure TM is compensating him nicely. Not 9 digit, guaranteed nicely but pretty nicely. And you don't have to be Bill Gates-rich to take care of future generations.

Again.....How Much Money Do You Need???

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say the best thing that could happen is to have Under Armour purchase Taylormade which gets you two things. A. You get Jason Day and a lot of the Taylormade Staff to wear Under Armour which will undeniably increase sales in that regard, B. and this is as important if not more would be getting Jordan Speith to sign with Taylormade. Boom!!!!!!!! Suddenly Under Armour is now on the top of the food chain. Under Armour then zaps Taylormade's previous notion that pumping out equipment every six months to every other year will get them back to supremacy. TMUA. That is the new LOGO. Starring Jason Day, Jordan Speith, Justin Rose, Dustin Johnson, Sergio Garcia. WOW what a line up.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I say the best thing that could happen is to have Under Armour purchase Taylormade which gets you two things. A. You get Jason Day and a lot of the Taylormade Staff to wear Under Armour which will undeniably increase sales in that regard, B. and this is as important if not more would be getting Jordan Speith to sign with Taylormade. Boom!!!!!!!! Suddenly Under Armour is now on the top of the food chain. Under Armour then zaps Taylormade's previous notion that pumping out equipment every six months to every other year will get them back to supremacy. TMUA. That is the new LOGO. Starring Jason Day, Jordan Speith, Justin Rose, Dustin Johnson, Sergio Garcia. WOW what a line up.

b6474ef8b17d5cdb77c16573cf516981.jpg

This comes under the "how much money do you need?" category.

I like Day. But, even though I'm not a big TM fan, I would lose some respect for the guy if he switched to Nike for $$$.

He's had huge success playing TM, undoubtedly already has more money than he knows what to do with.

So why switch?

I hear this often about many sports where someone gets angry because (insert pro athlete's name) goes to another team for more money and a longer contract. You can't sit hear and tell me you wouldn't do the same thing in your profession. Anyone trying to build a better retirement and financial stability would.

Bill Gates has more money than he knows what to do with and while Jason Day is more than financially comfortable, he's only in his 20's and likely has 50 more years or so of life. He's gifted, so why wouldn't he take advantage of his talent and build that same stability for his kids, grandkids, great grandkids, etc. in signing a huge GUARANTEED contract with a manufacturer known to sign 9 digit deals.

I'm really not angry and I hear this side of the argument all the time. But if Jason Day has an IQ over 50 (and I think he does), he and his family are already set for life. As are his grandkids, etc, etc, etc. I'm sure TM is compensating him nicely. Not 9 digit, guaranteed nicely but pretty nicely. And you don't have to be Bill Gates-rich to take care of future generations.

Again.....How Much Money Do You Need???

Apparently a lot if pro athlete keep chasing the money. Look at the NBA, MLB, NFL just to name a few. And golf is no different. You know damn well if Nike put a check in front of Jason. A check Taylormade couldn't even match. He'd go to Nike in a heart beat. But, being realistic Nike wouldn't go after Jason.
Cobra fly z+ Aldila rogue black
TM aero burner mini driver aldila rogue black
TM R9 3&5 wood stock
2016 mizuno jpx ez 4-gw
Cleveland cg16 50,56,62
Odyssey black series #5

Now that would get very interesting...

Now that would get very interesting...

I think shareholders would bolt if that was even suggested.

Adidas will not sell TaylorMade to a competitor. The sale will be done, and quite possibly is already done. From the inside alot of people at TaylorMade are not worried AT ALL and are somewhat excited to be removed from the German giant that is Adidas. Too much control, too many hands in the cookie jar. Just my 2 cents.

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]WITB[/b][/font][/size]
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size=3]TBD[/size][/font]

ummmmmm......yea....the club switch worked out great for McIlroy....

I believe Rory has the same amount of professional wins with Nike than he did with Titleist. And he's been with Nike, what, a little over 3 years?

Pretty sure he's doing OK.

This may be true, but it seems that his consistency was better with Titleist. I haven't looked it up though...maybe it has more to do with his love life.

maybe it has something to do with $250 million over 10 years

I'm not sure this'll happen, but it smells like it's possible.

Day fits the ticket for Nike ambassadors, younger, athletic guy, very strong.

Also I'm sure the Tiger connection might help.

Rumors are hot about Day and DJ joining the swoosh next year. That would be huge for Nike if it's true.

It would definitely big a big move for Nike if true.

With the TM, Adidas, and Ashworth split, you have to wonder what the move for those guys is.

Nike has done ok, still riding Tiger, but things with Rory and Koepka seems to be stagnant.

A DJ, Day signing would be dynamite for the brand.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure... cause it worked out so well with Rory, why not double down and spend more money.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

Sure... cause it worked out so well with Rory, why not double down and spend more money.

I'm no expert, but a wild a** guess says they have received more than a fair return on that investment.

and by ROI can you honestly say how and with what? last i checked, Tiger still moves more nike junk than the rest of their stable of players combined. Rory's game hasn't exactly been a ringing endorsement given his play either. The next great thing can't even make the cut this week.... I'm sure that sold some shirts lol Tiger sold more shirts this week sitting at home

sad_trombone.jpg

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

I'm no expert, but a wild a** guess says they have received more than a fair return on that investment.

and by ROI can you honestly say how and with what? last i checked, Tiger still moves more nike junk than the rest of their stable of players combined. Rory's game hasn't exactly been a ringing endorsement given his play either. The next great thing can't even make the cut this week.... I'm sure that sold some shirts lol Tiger sold more shirts this week sitting at home

sad_trombone.jpg

Got any sources or just running at the mouth talking trash about a guy who "moves" plenty of product while missing cuts?

sad_trombone.jpg

Got any sources or just running at the mouth talking trash about a guy who "moves" plenty of product while missing cuts?

Guys miss cuts all the time, let's relax, how many cuts has Jordan missed this year so far? And he was supposed to be the next big thing. There's not gonna be another tiger for a long time

sad_trombone.jpg

Guys miss cuts all the time, let's relax, how many cuts has Jordan missed this year so far? And he was supposed to be the next big thing. There's not gonna be another tiger for a long time

I wasn't the one claiming Rory was a bad contract for Nike because he misses cuts...

• 1 month later...

If anyone goes to Nike I could see it being DJ but we will see. Thing is you will never know 100% until an announcement is made as most people that work in these companies don't know either due to the legal ramifications of leaks. Nike does need a big name though, Rory looks burned out and like he doesn't have a care in the world about golf. I get the impression from his interviews that it's a job to him now and one he doesn't necessarily like anymore.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I vote no,unless he's decided to compete in track and field instead.

HAHAHA

Titleist TSi3 9* Mitsubishi Tensi AV Raw White
Callaway XR Pro 14* Project X LZ Hand Crafted
Titleist U500 2 iron Project X HZRDUS Smoke 90
Titleist T100 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Callaway MD4 50*, 54*, & 58* Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Scotty Cameron "Art of Putting" Newport