2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Most annoying people on BST

Arpeggi

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've seriously never heard the saying "he who discusses price first loses"?

Apple must "lose" all the time then, huh? :jester:

The BST is a marketplace, the seller has listed an item, with a price - per the rules. Pricing is not inferred, or unclear. In this thread's common example, it is $100, and representative of a value against others in the market.

The person who then "discusses" price first is the tirekicker saying to the seller via PM, "What's your lowest price?" De facto loss.

As a buyer, you do not want to entrench the seller to a price - ever. You do not want the seller to become adversarial, in any fashion. As has been pointed out to you no fewer than five times, most sellers will reply, "My lowest price is $125, but I listed it for $100 to get a quick sale." So now we are back to $100, and you've lost.

Sorry, you could have probably learned more from Glengarry Glen Ross.

Apple is a fixed price. They aren't open for negotiation at retail.

This isn't an "every time" sales theory either. You're acting like it's the only sales method possible. It's just a method, not THE method.

"discussing price first" is just an old sales quote.

Again, it's not my theory. It's sales 101. It has a place in negotiation from time to time. It's taught at just about every business school in the country.

Obviously you don't like it. But if you're really in sales and haven't heard of anchor points, I'm surprised.

In your last example, it's not a "loss" at all. The seller is just firm on price. They're not flexible, so there's not even an open negotiation. Again, for the 5th time, if there's a firm seller there's no room to negotiate.

Sorry. You are espousing a negotiating tactic, and applying it in a way that leads to the tirekicker being the first to actually discuss price. Which by your description of the theory, equates to a "loss".

My business professors would be disappointed if I were to recount a basic theory on a forum, and butcher it so badly as to arrive at a time when the basic theory is shown as being fatally flawed through one countermeasure -- the seller sticking to the price listed.

Price is listed. If OBO (Or Best Offer) is indicated, that requires the tirekicker to posit an offer to further discussion. It's not listed as ORFBP, Or Request for Best Pricing....

It's pretty simple really. No matter what theories or names the strategy goes by in any school curriculum, once the price is set, it's the buyer's turn.

I'm in possibly the most adaversial business of negotiating (on a day to day basis by everyday people, not the big money, upper level corporate type deals), used cars. It's like a game, people want to haggle, and you want the other guy to make the first move (offer). If you've set the price then you've taken the first step. if they ask for the bottom price, we go back to the asking price, and than ask them what they want to pay.

Because there are those people out there that you can't make anything cheap enough for them. They have to beat you up.

We joke, "if I offered it to you for free, your answer would be, ""well, would you give me $100 too""! They really are out there.

the ones that list "MINT" when the club is at best a 5/10 condition. Or even those who use the /10 scale and use 9.9/10 but is obviously in average condition.

I think there was another BST rant topic some time back but another grip is PHOTOS!!! IT'S 2016 AND EVERY CELL PHONE CAN TAKE QUALITY PHOTOS!!!

**quick tip for those who are not photographers. Take photos outside during the day (not the middle of the day) and use the natural sunlight. get multiple photos, let your camera focus on the club and not on the grass. it's really not that hard.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

I'm just surprised at how cheap people are. Golf is not a cheap game. Is it really worth haggling over $10? If "all I have is $90 to spend", maybe you should re-evaluate your priorities of spending your last $90 on a golf club. I'm not rich, but I don't value $10 that much. I really love the people who put ads in the WTB for something that just got released yesterday. They want a brand new M1 driver, or whatever, for half the cost of a new one. "Oh yeah, I just bought one for $499 yesterday, haven't hit it yet, but will gladly sell it to you for $250. Shipped. And I'll pay the paypal fees." awesome.

Most annoying thing to me on the BST is when someone is selling a nice club and asking a fair amount of money, but can't take 45 seconds to wipe the dirt/mud/grass off of it. It's not that it upsets me, but I immediately hit the 'back' button and continue looking at items that people care enough about to wipe down before they take a picture. I personally clean my clubs after every round. At any given time I could grab any club out of my bag, my spare bag, my wifes bag, 14 YO's bag or my 3 YO's bag and not a single club would be covered in dirt. But, to each their own. But, I stop looking the second that I see that the club isn't worth enough to the buyer to clean it before advertising.

Most annoying thing to me on the BST is when someone is selling a nice club and asking a fair amount of money, but can't take 45 seconds to wipe the dirt/mud/grass off of it. It's not that it upsets me, but I immediately hit the 'back' button and continue looking at items that people care enough about to wipe down before they take a picture. I personally clean my clubs after every round. At any given time I could grab any club out of my bag, my spare bag, my wifes bag, 14 YO's bag or my 3 YO's bag and not a single club would be covered in dirt. But, to each their own. But, I stop looking the second that I see that the club isn't worth enough to the buyer to clean it before advertising.

I second that. is it bad that i clean the grooves off on my friends clubs? i see his old r7's in the bag and all grooves are covered in dirt. i'll be wiping mine down after a hit or waiting on the group ahead and clean his clubs too. annoying but i think it's my OCD. :)

915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S

"not splitting the head and shaft"

potential buyer: "I'll take the head if someone wants the shaft".

915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S

"not splitting the head and shaft"

potential buyer: "I'll take the head if someone wants the shaft".

Wait.... Doesn't everyone on WRX have a low heat gun and professional shaft puller in their garage? :cheesy:

giphy.gif

915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S

I'm just surprised at how cheap people are. Golf is not a cheap game. Is it really worth haggling over $10? If "all I have is $90 to spend", maybe you should re-evaluate your priorities of spending your last $90 on a golf club. I'm not rich, but I don't value $10 that much. I really love the people who put ads in the WTB for something that just got released yesterday. They want a brand new M1 driver, or whatever, for half the cost of a new one. "Oh yeah, I just bought one for $499 yesterday, haven't hit it yet, but will gladly sell it to you for $250. Shipped. And I'll pay the paypal fees." awesome.

Awesome! I'll get you my shipping info so you can get it out to me ASAP!!

I second that. is it bad that i clean the grooves off on my friends clubs? i see his old r7's in the bag and all grooves are covered in dirt. i'll be wiping mine down after a hit or waiting on the group ahead and clean his clubs too. annoying but i think it's my OCD. :)

I want to play with you! Then my clubs will be clean. I admit mine do get dirty on occasion (usually I've forgotten a towel). But I always clean them before I list them for sale.

" If that GSS Timeless was just 1/16" shorter and had slightly darker black paint fill, I would have already sent you Paypal!!!"

"If that R15 regular flex 10.5* was an Aeroburner x-flex 9* I'd be all over it"

Callaway Triple Diamond LS 9* | Diamana D Limited 60tx

Titleist TSi3 15* | Ventus TR 7x

Titleist TSi3 18* | Ventus TR 8x
Srixon ZX7 4-p | DG x100
Vokey SM8 50|54|58 - DG x100
Scotty Newport 2
TP5x 

Holy crap, 5 pages of annoyances! Yet, I'm guessing we're all going to still continue to BST. There are a few things that annoy me too -- 1) blurry photos or photos that don't show typical areas of wear (topline and crown on woods, face and sole on irons); 2) unusally slow payment or shipping (boxes and PP should be ready to go before you send offer or sell); lack of commitment (If you agree to sell, then sell. If you agree to buy, then buy.).

TaylorMade R11 9* 

Callaway XHot TC 4 Wood

Cleveland Mashie Hybrid 23

Cleveland Mashie Hybrid 26

Titleist AP1 5-PW

Titleist AP1 W/Vokey Satin 50
Vokey Satin 58

Kingston KP1 custom stamped
ProV1x

Add $10 east/west of Mississippi

^^THIS

Also, I'm not paying for your sentiment. You wanna list your item at an unreasonable price then whine with a DND thread cause 1.) your getting lowballed or 2.) no one's interested??...then you turn around and ask (beg) for offers...sheesh

Price accordingly to both supply/demand and relevance.