2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

2 hours ago, mshills said:

Same. The craziest one of all is over in the destruction forum. It’s been going on for years. 

Here’s the brief from yesterday — had zero putts through 2 holes 😁

Love it that is a good name for it destruction forum

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

13 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

speaking of manners, my buddy has two great kids. one is trying to get into the pga apprentice program. they have to take a playing ability test (pat) now first. it’s not very hard. depending on course rating it’s usually 14 over for two rounds played in one day. from white tees and pins in center or most accessible location.

i won’t get into the golf thing because sooooooome people don’t want to hear it. 🙂

he asked me to help his son, which was easy to do. he’s nothing but yes sir, no sir, the most polite and upbeat young man. still says yes sir to his father and treats the people at the course he works at unfailing respect, always helpful and logical.

i trust there are many others like him, but it’s good to see and restores my hope for the future. kudos to parents who instill those values.

We did have 3 PGM schools here including Coastal Carolina University Those 2 schools closed and only the CCU program remains. CCU also has a great turf management school. One of the things I see with the PGM schools is once most folks pass them and maybe the PAT and get their Class A card they do not stay in the golf business for long. What the PGM program is equal to is a business degree and once they get that they can make more money in business than in golf. One kid I coached to get his PAT done and PGAOA stuff stayed in the golf business maybe a year after. He went back to his native Texas and last I heard has really done well in the real estate market. Another kid I know worked for UPS part time when going to school. He got his degree and never pursued a PGAOA career. He is now like a district manager for UPS in my area. IMHO anyone who stays with the PGAOA program really loves the golf business and working in it. Which again IMHO there is nothing wrong with that if money is no concern

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

10 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Love it that is a good name for it destruction forum

😂 it’s the truth. The only worse places are the  Hogans Humpers forum (though I don’t think there’s much activity there any more) and YouTube, which is death for a golfer. 

I’ve played golf for a long time and I do not remember starting a round with two straight chip ins. Furthermore I damn sure don’t recall doing that and still going out in 48 😡. The hole out on #2 was fun — that green is shared with the practice green and is right in front of the patio, both of which were busy yesterday. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

One of my sometimes golf buds is an MD. In fact he took over my health care when my regular Doc retired. He is one of the top cardiologists in the SE USA. Needless to say his mind is like a sponge which is great in the medical field but not for golf. A few years back he got where he could not play at all. Come to find out he had a brain freeze from TMI. He came to me and asked to me to help. I told him he knew darn well I was never an instructor even in my PGAOA days. Main reason was as I state today I have never believed there was one set in stone way to swing or play the game. Come to find out of course I would try to help. After 15 minutes on the range with him I figured out his problem Paralysis by analysis TMI in his head. He was worrying about things like pronating or supinating. I finally drew a big X on a ball and on the face of his iron. I told him put this X on that X. He started on the pronating thing again. I said my now famous line just hit the damn ball I do not care if you loop the club on the backswing or stick it in your wazoo on the way down just hit the freaking ball. Come to find out he was an avid watcher of the GC and had lots of instruction videos plus subscribed to every golf publication on the market. His mind was so cluttered he could not hit the ball. I told him yes retaining info was great in the medical world but was deadly in the golf world.

I have always subscribed to Mr. Palmer's thing of " swing your own swing"

It's so easy to see how someone could fall into that trap these days given the glut of tips that are right there at one's fingertips, all promising to deliver that round of 66 just around the corner.

I found a few helpful tips here and there when I got back into golf a few years ago, but now I'm comfortable with simply focusing on a couple of fundamental things and feel. At some point you just have to let your body do its thing and not suck every bit of enjoyment out of the game by trying to remember a 100 point checklist.

Edited by RoverTiger
  • Like 2

A bag off the beaten path:

Driver: Turner H7 at 12 degrees, 43.5"

3W: Adams Speedline F11 (purchased used)

3UI: Adams Pro DHy

4UI: Turner 239

Irons: (5-PW): Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blades

Wedges: (52, 56, 60): Ram Pro Spin

Putter: old Nitro putter with a DIY Blackburn Rovers paintjob

In the bullpen:  3H: System Golf Icon Plus (purchased used)

19 minutes ago, Petethreeput said:

My understanding, and it is just understanding is this the very crux of the tech free speech and the algorithms that feed the same type of news story to them for views.  If I believe the yellow golf ball is the best, all I get are newsfeeds about yellow balls.  mshills is a white ball player, and he gets something different.  The cognitive support helps to fuel the ideal of truth and probably the most prescient thing Obama said in his 8 years was, we cannot be a united states if we have different truths.

As it pertains to the media itself, it has been a longer slide, but the change is a preponderance of what would have been considered human interest stories in the past.  These bring viewers to the TV, and the change to the laws in 1984 (IIRC) made news a TV show, not a service, so the media has changed the perspective of news from "what happened" to now they tell us briefly what happened and then tell us what it means.  And again, depending on which shows you choose, we have different truths.

News in the 1960's was directed to the masses and they were shooting to be understandable to the average 8th grader.  Back when a college degree was rarer (about 30% of the population).  Today we have over half the pop. with college degrees, and the news is directed to the same academic achievement levels.  It really is shocking a simple law change in 1984 that no one really noticed created CNN, Fox, OAN, MSNBC, etc.  As humans, we love to take our freedoms and then run them to unhealthy levels.

Great post.

I give you exhibit A. Your honor.  the law of unintended consequences. The Achilles of progress.  And the antithesis of the practice of logical reasoning . 

answer ?  Look before you leap.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

One of my sometimes golf buds is an MD. In fact he took over my health care when my regular Doc retired. He is one of the top cardiologists in the SE USA. Needless to say his mind is like a sponge which is great in the medical field but not for golf.

Boy isn’t that the truth!     - signed MD. 😀

On the range I’m unfocused. 

But on the course, when things are good and I’m playing well, my only swing thought is “target”. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Petethreeput said:

My understanding, and it is just understanding is this the very crux of the tech free speech and the algorithms that feed the same type of news story to them for views.  If I believe the yellow golf ball is the best, all I get are newsfeeds about yellow balls.  mshills is a white ball player, and he gets something different.  The cognitive support helps to fuel the ideal of truth and probably the most prescient thing Obama said in his 8 years was, we cannot be a united states if we have different truths.

As it pertains to the media itself, it has been a longer slide, but the change is a preponderance of what would have been considered human interest stories in the past.  These bring viewers to the TV, and the change to the laws in 1984 (IIRC) made news a TV show, not a service, so the media has changed the perspective of news from "what happened" to now they tell us briefly what happened and then tell us what it means.  And again, depending on which shows you choose, we have different truths.

News in the 1960's was directed to the masses and they were shooting to be understandable to the average 8th grader.  Back when a college degree was rarer (about 30% of the population).  Today we have over half the pop. with college degrees, and the news is directed to the same academic achievement levels.  It really is shocking a simple law change in 1984 that no one really noticed created CNN, Fox, OAN, MSNBC, etc.  As humans, we love to take our freedoms and then run them to unhealthy levels.

the info comes from google.

the study (part of a permanent task force) isn’t to contribute to society, but to make more money through more manipulation.

does anyone like being manipulated? 🙂

• Like 2

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

12 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Tons of robotaxis all over SF?! I didn’t know that completely driverless cars were on the streets!

And @Soloman1 says Phoenix has lots of them too!

yep, waymo is here.

they do have some problems, like running into light rail trains, parked cars and shutting down to block traffic if someone doesn’t close the door properly or takes off a seatbelt. to be expected. growing pains.

added: oops, forgot the biggest problem is that they don’t exceed the speed limit. that makes traffic jams worse than a 20 car pileup. 🙂

Edited by Soloman1
  • Like 2

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

29 minutes ago, Duct Tape said:

I’m sure several here will understand it’s hard for a type A, very competitive person to shoot 85 or worse when 70 or better used to be a good score, and still enjoy it.  I’m working on that. 

I’m competitive and type A and based on recent scores, relatively happy with an 85. Clearly a different frame of reference. 90+ grinds my gears, though. Be happy, DT! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Tons of robotaxis all over SF?! I didn’t know that completely driverless cars were on the streets!

And @Soloman1 says Phoenix has lots of them too!

My son in SF has been in a few.  We’ve seen several in Phoenix (said to be the “ideal” test city due to wide, less complex roads, which SF decidedly is not). My son tells me a few stories of one driving into a deep construction hole, another into a crane, and somebody getting stuck inside one for some crazy reason I can’t remember. 

Not for me…

• Like 2

I don’t let myself get overly annoyed with golf any more. It’s hard, because I’m bordering on unhealthy level of competitiveness, the “beat the other guy” kind. 

It’s hard to be moderately pleased with 90, but perspective is needed.

First, I can see quite clearly that 80 is possible and attainable. 

Second, bigger picture. I’m grateful the HORN PLAYED BY THE GREAT MILES DAVIS didn’t sound for me in 2019. The fact that I’m able to play some resemblance of golf is frankly miraculous, and no way am I going to get tempted into being angry or ungrateful about that!

Edited by mshills
Political filter picks up musical instrument? Come on!
  • Like 3

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

2 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

No need doc, my hood got it all in walking distance. Beats strip malls any day. 

See, even got a little candy shop down the block. Nothing but candy. These but also all your favs from back in the day! 

My hood more like Norman Rockwell’s America than the country side these days ; )

IMG_4728.jpeg

IMG_4729.jpeg

Very nice. I’ve actually been nearby in Prospect Park. I’m sure you’re aware The Ripped Bodice is nearby.  🤓

and I had you picked for a Williamsburg guy.  

• Like 2

Not sure why my content is hidden and needs to be approved. 👎🏼👎🏼👎🏼

• Confused 1

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

2 minutes ago, Duct Tape said:

Very nice. I’ve actually been nearby in Prospect Park. I’m sure you’re aware The Ripped Bodice is nearby.  🤓

and I had you picked for a Williamsburg guy.  

Ha that Ripped Bodice is a 15 minute walk and we’ve  never seen it. 

Willliamsburg good but too hipster doofus  and it’s the same as living in the city in the East Village

Park Slope is more like the ‘burbs of Brooklyn and the park is a few blocks. Ran my sprints there today! Youd like it, it’s got a 3 mile loop that’s closed to cars, always a peloton to join for ya!

IMG_4730.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Petethreeput said:

I'm of the notion that now that we have a larger percentage of the population with degrees, we're dumber.😄

Edited by braincramp52
  • Haha 2

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

3 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

I'm of the notion that now that we have a larger percentage of the population with degrees, we're dumber.😄

In some respects I agree, but looking at what we have witnessed, and honestly we have witnessed the second largest change to the human condition since the industrial revolution (again, IMO) with the advent of the internet and everything being at our fingertips.  We don't have to be smart.  The college graduates of today are intellectually, i.e. book smarter than we were, but how much do we really need to have at the ready?  I don't know my kids phone numbers, but I can spell their names and then call them.  I don't have to know where Krzgyzstan is because google has a map for that, in fact, I don't even have to be able to spell it to find it because of autocorrect.  Throw this in with our newsfeeds are personalized to our search history and we can't help but be dumber.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Petethreeput said:

In some respects I agree, but looking at what we have witnessed, and honestly we have witnessed the second largest change to the human condition since the industrial revolution (again, IMO) with the advent of the internet and everything being at our fingertips.  We don't have to be smart.  The college graduates of today are intellectually, i.e. book smarter than we were, but how much do we really need to have at the ready?  I don't know my kids phone numbers, but I can spell their names and then call them.  I don't have to know where Krzgyzstan is because google has a map for that, in fact, I don't even have to be able to spell it to find it because of autocorrect.  Throw this in with our newsfeeds are personalized to our search history and we can't help but be dumber.

True, I just judge peoples intelligence by the amount of common sense they have and throw most of the book crap out of the window.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.