2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

On 6/26/2024 at 10:10 AM, BIG STU said:

One of my sometimes golf buds is an MD. In fact he took over my health care when my regular Doc retired. He is one of the top cardiologists in the SE USA. Needless to say his mind is like a sponge which is great in the medical field but not for golf. A few years back he got where he could not play at all. Come to find out he had a brain freeze from TMI. He came to me and asked to me to help. I told him he knew darn well I was never an instructor even in my PGAOA days. Main reason was as I state today I have never believed there was one set in stone way to swing or play the game. Come to find out of course I would try to help. After 15 minutes on the range with him I figured out his problem Paralysis by analysis TMI in his head. He was worrying about things like pronating or supinating. I finally drew a big X on a ball and on the face of his iron. I told him put this X on that X. He started on the pronating thing again. I said my now famous line just hit the damn ball I do not care if you loop the club on the backswing or stick it in your wazoo on the way down just hit the freaking ball. Come to find out he was an avid watcher of the GC and had lots of instruction videos plus subscribed to every golf publication on the market. His mind was so cluttered he could not hit the ball. I told him yes retaining info was great in the medical world but was deadly in the golf world.

I have always subscribed to Mr. Palmer's thing of " swing your own swing"

"I finally drew a big X on a ball and on the face of his iron. I told him put this X on that X... just hit the damn ball I do not care if you loop the club on the backswing or stick it in your wazoo on the way down just hit the freaking ball."

Amen, Stu.   99.9% of people who play the game should adopt this philosophy.  It would speed things up, also.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mshills said:

I’m happy to post up some video. My action is so textbook 🤣🤣🤣 I’m unlikely to get much critique. 

I’d say your p6 is intersecting your p7.  And you have to watch that pronation of the left ankle , don’t get out over your skis too far 🤣.   

( authentic frontier gibberish) 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Haha 4

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 hours ago, dashanks said:

I finally drew a big X on a ball and on the face of his iron. I told him put this X on that X.

research shows that blue ink is better than red or black ink and the X must be a specific size - between 2.04cm and 2.72cm in overall outside width. it’s science, bro.

• Haha 4

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

4 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

research shows that blue ink is better than red or black ink and the X must be a specific size - between 2.04cm and 2.72cm in overall outside width. it’s science, bro.

That's if you can't get hold of the new Bridgestone golf balls with the green dot that concentrates your focus.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Hawwww you stylin!

September sounds great, less Europeans on vaca and little cooler weather.

I imagine you’ll pack in all the cultural stuff in Athens, it’s all great, definitely have a nice dinner under the Acropolis in the Plaka district. Delphi is cool, it’s a hike.

We loved the Poseidon temple bout an hour south of Athens. It sits high over the sea and you can get mentally transported thousands of years in time. 

They say it’s place where many forlorn lovers have cast themselves into the sea. 

And the islands you can’t not be in paradise. Santorini is a star and Crete was ok, tons of Germans, think they brought up the whole island . Some very decent red local red wine in Santorini. 

Never been to Peloponnesus, wuts there? Maybe just skip that and spend more time on the islands 🤣🍻

Peloponnese is the peninsula SW of Athens, containing Corinth, Sparta, Olympia and much of ancient Greece.  Plus some very nice resorts (I’m told) with good food (including grilled octopi I’m sure) and good bicycling. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dashanks said:

That's if you can't get hold of the new Bridgestone golf balls with the green dot that concentrates your focus.

and gets you 30 more yards instantly!

if you add up all the distance gains claimed by all products and youtube wombats, all par-4’s should be a pitch and putt.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Duct Tape said:

Carefully avoiding here any mention of the debate.

Hey, how’s that Rocket Mortgage Classic going?  Great course, maybe better than Pinehurst 2 or LACC?

🤓😀🏌🏼‍♀️

You mean the mini-driver vs. 3 wood debate, right? RIGHT?!?!

• Haha 4

A bag off the beaten path:

Driver: Turner H7 at 12 degrees, 43.5"

3W: Adams Speedline F11 (purchased used)

3UI: Adams Pro DHy

4UI: Turner 239

Irons: (5-PW): Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blades

Wedges: (52, 56, 60): Ram Pro Spin

Putter: old Nitro putter with a DIY Blackburn Rovers paintjob

In the bullpen:  3H: System Golf Icon Plus (purchased used)

@Soloman1   Hot as hades here.  Thought I’d hit a few balls with the new thought.  Hitting it really good. But. After reviewing video.  And thinking I was posting up.  I see a nearly carbon copy in the still shot.   

then I back off an take some practice swings. Narrower setup.  And produce this second pic.    Link to video included. Warning. It appears to be same quality as any Sasquatch video.  Which I guess is fitting.  I’ll try again when it gets cooler out.  I have no idea why it’s so grainy.  Might have to get the kid involved 🤣.  

any tips on feels for getting posted up sooner ? As in proper sequencing ?  Could wide stance have something to do with it ? I notice I look to be spread out a lot.   What type lead arm to shaft angle relationship do I want post impact ? I notice the one of the practice swing. Shows quite a lot of angle difference. Too many questions!  I know.  

for what it’s worth.  The shot I hit  in the video  was mashed.  BUT.  In practice swings I can see the leak I have power wise.  So I believe it’s a needed change.  

IMG_2489.png

IMG_2491.png

IMG_2490.png

• Like 4

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

11 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

@Soloman1   Hot as hades here.  Thought I’d hit a few balls with the new thought.  Hitting it really good. But. After reviewing video.  And thinking I was posting up.  I see a nearly carbon copy in the still shot.   

then I back off an take some practice swings. Narrower setup.  And produce this second pic.    Link to video included. Warning. It appears to be same quality as any Sasquatch video.  Which I guess is fitting.  I’ll try again when it gets cooler out.  I have no idea why it’s so grainy.  Might have to get the kid involved 🤣.  

any tips on feels for getting posted up sooner ? As in proper sequencing ?  Could wide stance have something to do with it ? I notice I look to be spread out a lot.   What type lead arm to shaft angle relationship do I want post impact ? I notice the one of the practice swing. Shows quite a lot of angle difference. Too many questions!  I know.  

for what it’s worth.  The shot I hit  in the video  was mashed.  BUT.  In practice swings I can see the leak I have power wise.  So I believe it’s a needed change.  

IMG_2489.png

IMG_2491.png

IMG_2490.png

soooooo spooky.

i was just thinking 10 minutes ago about your stance width and the effects based on upper, mid and low core players.

spoooooky.

let me look at what you have here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Cant go wrong

We prefer to stay longer at locations rather than move around every few days trying to see everything 

For the islands, Santorini is perfect for couples, less overall crazy party atmosphere than other islands, but once in a lifetime, fairytale beautiful, and romantic. 

Santorini was a volcano that exploded! All that’s left is the crescent shaped outer edge and the very center. 

If fact, some historians have matched the dates Santorini exploded and think it caused the tsunami that distorted Minoan (Crete) civilization but also 

cause the flooding of the Nile that caused the plagues of Egypt!

I have never been to Europe, but next March I will go to Munich for a trade show then we will go to Sadenga for a week, my friends I will go with are a family that has lived on the Island as far back as anyone can track so it will be real nice to get the real experience not the tourist experience.

They tell me the seafood is the best anywhere, I asked about the Octopus and they do it several ways that are all amazing he says.

Edited by Jim53
  • Like 2

Callaway Smoke TD Max 9* GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Chikara 54* Steelfiber 110 s

Chikara 58* Steelfiber 110 s

SLED # 1  35.5

warning: golf swing dragons be inside. you’ve been warned.

Spoiler

i like it.

video is no problem. make sure camera is directly in front. a dtl when you get chance helps. camera centered between ball and feet.

trail foot much better. a slide to target isn’t a flaw post impact.

you are posting better. it’s a dynamic motion and stills don’t tell the whole story.

move to left could happen a little sooner. start it about the time arms get to shoulder high and and sequence will improve. push on that can hard with a little squat.

gotta go down before you can go up. it’s the pelvis we want going up, not just the leg. that’s the power leak.

imagine you’re a left handed tennis player and you’re going to step in to hit a left handed cross court winner. you’d step in, bend the left knee and body goes down, then post hard and lift up through impact.

my pet peeve: you don’t see elite players make full practice swings before hitting driver. it’s just a half swing, lazy motion of a sequence.

practicing a new movement should always be done in slow motion. no exceptions. 😉

here’s a little exercise you’re going to need your son to help with. need a yardstick or alignment rod and some tape.

take an iron and go back to about shoulder height, wrist hinged. place the stick so one end centered at your lead foot.

take your usual stance width. see if your son can push your hands straight down. if he can, keep moving trail foot different widths to find one where he can’t.

that’s your width for that club.

you’ll be surprised. one width will be impossible for him to do it. it’s an optimum balance thingie.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I really enjoy any and all golf swing talk, I try to adapt some of it to my wood chopping swing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

SLED # 1  35.5

56 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

IMG_2489.png

IMG_2491.png

IMG_2490.png

I wish I could get to that finish position. But it is getting better with all the stretching and rotational exercises, maybe someday

• Like 3

SLED # 1  35.5

51 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

soooooo spooky.

i was just thinking 10 minutes ago about your stance width and the effects based on upper, mid and low core players.

spoooooky.

let me look at what you have here.

Info that might be useful …..
——

I’ll tell you that as a beginner, my natural stance was very narrow and tall. I widened it over the years fighting a hook.  And adding stability.  I hit it straighter than crap now , but I know I killed some power to do it.  I was really long when I began this game. And wild as crap. Left going left at times .  I fear I over did some of it trying to 0 out everything.   going back narrow or narrower isn’t a huge change in my eye.  

Edited by bladehunter

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

16 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

——

I’ll tell you that as a beginner, my natural stance was very narrow and tall. I widened it over the years fighting a hook.  And adding stability.  I hit it straighter than crap now , but I know I killed some power to do it.  I was really long when I began this game. And wild as crap. Left going left at times .  I fear I over did some of it trying to 0 out everything.   going back narrow or narrower isn’t a huge change in my eye.  

forgot one important thing. the lovely wife is half dressed and making a martini...

Spoiler

the last move before you start the takeaway should be a slight bump, tilt to the right.

it'll move your head about 1-2" back. you move it that much now, then move back.

if you keep that tilt through impact, your head will be behind the ball. very important.

but, be warned that the first time you connect with that feeling, your face is going to feel like mike tyson punched you in the mouth.

your face will hurt from grinning.

good rhythm, buddy. lot's of great potential in that swing.

Edited by Soloman1
  • Thanks 1

Now with video ... a fine lookin swing to mine eyes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ 

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB LA GOLF L

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.04°T LA GOLF WV

Scotty Cameron Newport LA GOLF P

2 hours ago, bladehunter said:

IMG_2489.png

IMG_2491.png

IMG_2490.png

You put a heavy hit on the ball blade! 

You ever have your “numbers” looked at like with flightscope and whatnot? 

You even know you playin the best setup for yourself ? 

🤣

ps-I have no clue but I know pros seem to squeeze a lot of yards just getting the perfect “numbers” for themselves out of their equipment 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jim53 said:

I have never been to Europe, but next March I will go to Munich for a trade show then we will go to Sadenga for a week, my friends I will go with are a family that has lived on the Island as far back as anyone can track so it will be real nice to get the real experience not the tourist experience.

They tell me the seafood is the best anywhere, I asked about the Octopus and they do it several ways that are all amazing he says.

Nice Jim, where is Sadenga though? I can’t find it. Is secret island?!!

🤣🍻

Man, this week at the office was all gas and no brakes. Glad it's over, though I do have a couple of loose ends to tie up this weekend. It should be scarcely an hour of work thanks to having none of the usual interruptions.

Waking up early tomorrow for some F1 action before going to play nine with my wife and her pastor. After that, a whole lot of nothin', which is music to my ears.

• Like 1

A bag off the beaten path:

Driver: Turner H7 at 12 degrees, 43.5"

3W: Adams Speedline F11 (purchased used)

3UI: Adams Pro DHy

4UI: Turner 239

Irons: (5-PW): Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blades

Wedges: (52, 56, 60): Ram Pro Spin

Putter: old Nitro putter with a DIY Blackburn Rovers paintjob

In the bullpen:  3H: System Golf Icon Plus (purchased used)

12 hours ago, Duct Tape said:

Carefully avoiding here any mention of the debate.

Hey, how’s that Rocket Mortgage Classic going?  Great course, maybe better than Pinehurst 2 or LACC?

🤓😀🏌🏼‍♀️

I will say it is a Ross course but maybe not as steeped in tradition as Pinehurst #2. 

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

15 hours ago, dashanks said:

"I finally drew a big X on a ball and on the face of his iron. I told him put this X on that X... just hit the damn ball I do not care if you loop the club on the backswing or stick it in your wazoo on the way down just hit the freaking ball."

Amen, Stu.   99.9% of people who play the game should adopt this philosophy.  It would speed things up, also.

I did learn something Thursday. My putting the last 4 years has been streaky to say the least. I had tried everything different grips different putters etc. I had pulled out my old Ping Zing2 that I have had for some 30 years now. I had cleaned and regripped it for a 2 club challenge on the Par 3. That putter and I have a history. To put it factually that old putter in the past has won me enough money to earn it's keep here even if it does never see the light of day again. I found out I had gotten too mechanical worrying about the line on the ball and the SBST stroke. I was messing with the Zing and realized I always used to get over the ball and actually realign my eyes and body over the ball. My old man and them used to call it fidgeting. It always worked for me. Thursday I had the second day of a 2 day event. Now our greens right now are crappy and Tuesday i did not have a good day. Shot 85 off of a 12 index. Could not get the putter rolling. Left me in like 10th place out of 20 players in B flight 7 shots off the lead. I realized what was wrong with my putting. Now the perfect story would be if I had taken the Zing out. No I used the trusty Santa Fe. I basically came back from the dead. Shot 76 gross 64 net with a triple on a Par 5. That came from trying to be a hero with the 3 wood after a drive in the wrong position. I ended up in 4th 2 shots out of 1st which was tied (no playoff) and one shot out of second. Did good money wise on that plus I had 2 closest to the pins on the Par 3s in the 2 days. Did well in the birdie pool with 5 birdies in 2 days with 3 of them living and paid off. To top it off I won the 50/50 drawing Thursday. 

Tomorrow we are doing the Par 3 thing. We have the first tee time out at 8:00. Do not know how many of the guys will show up. Since we did not play last week I am going to do the 2 club challenge with an old 252 series Vokey and the before mentioned Zing 2. I turned down 2 offers to play in the Shootout at my club but turned them down. It does not start until 9AM and more than likely be slow. I know my old partner Big Bear got too hot last week and quit after 12 holes as others did. I am not going to pay $25 for a hot dog and burger and a chance to win a cheap bottle of wine. It would be too hot for me to eat anyhow since they have a habit of feeding you on the turn. By the time they fire the Shootout off and ride to the starting place we will have darn near 9 holes in. I figured time they make the turn we will be back home

• Like 3

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

11 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Nice Jim, where is Sadenga though? I can’t find it. Is secret island?!!

🤣🍻

Off the coast of Italy 

Screenshot_20240628_170336_Maps.jpg

SLED # 1  35.5

13 hours ago, bladehunter said:

——

I love swing talk, but the more I read, the more it becomes obvious to me that I should keep my mouth shut because apparently, I understand nothing.   Case in point, I was always under the impression that an upright stance would tend to produce a fade.  So widening would give you a flatter path and encourage a draw.  Best for me to just stick to my George Costanza philosophy applied to golf.  Whatever I think is right, do the opposite.

• Haha 4