Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

I get the impression that some think that it doesn't matter to me how I play. To be truthful, at this time, just getting out and being able to play is the priority no matter what that amounts to, but it's important that you realize that I finished the last year at an 8, so quality of play is very much part of the enjoyment for me. I still expect to be able to score and strike the ball consistently but am prepared for the transition period that is inevitable when making what likely amounts to a major swing change out of physical necessity. I'm not going to be satisfied hacking the ball around hither and yon in an aimless fashion and call that golf. I'll find something else to do if that's what it's going to amount to.

AS far as the swing analyses are concerned, I find the detail overwhelming. Paralysis by analysis is how I would look at it. I guess I've never been too concerned with the why, accepting things that worked with little concern beyond that. Give me a couple of cues to work on and we'll get along just fine. When that's ingrained then we can move onto something else, but overload me with details, whether they be good points or areas in need of improvement and our relationship will be short lived. It's simply too much to process. As a case in point, the lady that got me talked into taking bridge lessons has talked me into playing online. I hate it. I make so many mistakes and there's no opportunity to learn from it or to ask a question here or there. That's not the nature of how that game is played and it's becoming a big drawback. This lady loves to play online, but it suits her personality and abilities. Doesn't work for me. I'm very much hands on. Never been much of a book learner.

Haven't walked a mile in your shoes. Doesn't surprise me you've played to an 8. And you're 100% correct that playing at all is a challenge that MAY be lasting and MAY not as you comb through your own swing options and awareness of what can and can't be done going forward. You might play to an 18 now and that fact in and of itself MAY induce you to abandon golf. All that you say is 100% correct.

I met a guy about 18 months ago from Memphis. Our age. Won all the state ams and worked for years for as an Engineer for the company that makes True-temper shafts. Said he hasn't played in 10 years. It wasn't an injury or health that drove him away. The young bucks were blowing drives past him and beating him. He played to win and if he didn't win there was no point in continuing. (His way of seeing it).

So I mentioned things about what constitutes "winning". You know me Scomacer. I slathered on the philosophical stuff about "winning" be a victory over the odds of still playing at our age, and "winning" being about sharing war stories in the grill and maybe helping other golfers and such. But it didn't matter what I thought. It was his call and he'd made up his mind. As dumb chance would have it, about six months later he started showing interest in returning to the game. But if he did, it wasn't because of a single thing I said - it would be because he had his own strong convictions and wanted very much - to call his own shots on his own terms. He was/is entitled to do just that - just as you are. For your own reasons and in your own good time you will play more - or play less - or play with a different swing - or play even better. On YOUR terms.

But here's one thing you need to know. As unique and odd as it may seem - some crazy hand of destiny placed you here among us. And as odd as it may seem, we would be just as proud of you as a 28 as we would if you were an 8. We would revel in your stories of lessons learned - and how you developed whatever swing you developed your way - and how you view vintage clubs - working at courses - things you've seen - and places you've been.

It's a hell of a thing isn't it? As long as you want or care to - you can still experience golf right here and no one is judging it. Doesn't matter if you played last week or 10 years ago. We are all good with it! That is, IF YOU WANT TO.

DO NOT loose the faith in one thing. Your back may be against you - be we aren't.

PS - I'm going to turn your arse into a swing analyst before its over. Your realize that don't you???? :wave:

I get the impression that some think that it doesn't matter to me how I play. To be truthful, at this time, just getting out and being able to play is the priority no matter what that amounts to, but it's important that you realize that I finished the last year at an 8, so quality of play is very much part of the enjoyment for me. I still expect to be able to score and strike the ball consistently but am prepared for the transition period that is inevitable when making what likely amounts to a major swing change out of physical necessity. I'm not going to be satisfied hacking the ball around hither and yon in an aimless fashion and call that golf. I'll find something else to do if that's what it's going to amount to.

AS far as the swing analyses are concerned, I find the detail overwhelming. Paralysis by analysis is how I would look at it. I guess I've never been too concerned with the why, accepting things that worked with little concern beyond that. Give me a couple of cues to work on and we'll get along just fine. When that's ingrained then we can move onto something else, but overload me with details, whether they be good points or areas in need of improvement and our relationship will be short lived. It's simply too much to process. As a case in point, the lady that got me talked into taking bridge lessons has talked me into playing online. I hate it. I make so many mistakes and there's no opportunity to learn from it or to ask a question here or there. That's not the nature of how that game is played and it's becoming a big drawback. This lady loves to play online, but it suits her personality and abilities. Doesn't work for me. I'm very much hands on. Never been much of a book learner.

100% Scomac, all sport, life and learning has to be individual. Whilst I now read and understand some of the swing posts, I cannot go to the course and get involved in adapting it to my game. I want to improve my game, I like to go home with a good score, but if it does not happen so what, I have had a good time.

One of the reasons I cannot take lessons is that the people I have tried always want to scrap everything and start from square one, all I want is to take something away I can work on.

This was my philosophy with sport coaching, every person is different, each move, each thought has to be adapted to the individual need. The my way is the only way dictum I would think does not fit many golfers, or indeed many sportspeople no matter what the code.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

For grins here guys.

Neural Plasticity is something you can Google if you want or care to. It's mentioned in this vid.

There is zero insinuation here that old dogs around here and are past learning new tricks. In fact if you do opt to look it up there's every evidence we are ALL far from done applying our noggins.

Anywho - though you guys might enjoy this one. It's not about golf. But it sort-a kind-a gets at some of the same concepts we've been kicking tires about over the last couple of days.

Enjoy! I got a kick out of it. Wife found it and brought it to my attention.

For grins here guys.

Neural Plasticity is something you can Google if you want or care to. It's mentioned in this vid.

There is zero insinuation here that old dogs around here and are past learning new tricks. In fact if you do opt to look it up there's every evidence we are ALL far from done applying our noggins.

Anywho - though you guys might enjoy this one. It's not about golf. But it sort-a kind-a gets at some of the same concepts we've been kicking tires about over the last couple of days.

[media=]

[/media]

That is hilarious!

For grins here guys.

[media=]

[/media]

Ten likes! That is amazing. Our minds are amazing.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

One of my golfing friends played in a pro am last year and they always let the amateurs tee off first, he said it was very daunting seeing how far past his drives they were driving. His aim was to learn something from them but he said his head was reeling so much it was difficult to think straight.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

For grins here guys.

[media=]

[/media]

Ten likes! That is amazing. Our minds are amazing.

So this is why I can't trim a beard with a mirror... :)

holding a hand mirror, looking in another mirror I should say.

For grins here guys.

seen this experiment before, some really hard falls from it. Must play with your mind big time.

Remembered, the one I saw they did not tell them it was altered.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

For grins here guys.

[media=]

[/media]

seen this experiment before, some really hard falls from it. Must play with your mind big time.

Remembered, the one I saw they did not tell them it was altered.

That's likely the video that I saw. I always figured that you would have to learn the steering first whilst your feet were still on the ground. Then you could combine walking and steering. Then finally pedaling and steering in order the learn the new pattern the quickest.

Not surprised that the child picked it up in a fraction of the time!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Jake did this one just for us

[media=]

[/media]

Jake is a hoot isn't he? If there ever was a video posted at the right time/place that one would be it!

^^^ +1 :good:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Sco, I never got that impression at all. The impression I have is that you are struggling with physical ailments and

trying to find away to play around them and without pain. I don't think there is a golfer alive who doesn't care how

well they play, in all honesty.

I think as we age it becomes a matter of degree and perspective but everyone I've ever played with does care. If

they don't care they should save their money and just go for a walk in the park.

If my post gave you that impression, I apologize. Not my intent, I was just waxing on how we all can be different, feel different and think differently about the game and all it entails. Not saying one is right/wrong, etc....they all just are. The swing, the game, the score and ball striking are all different things as we know. Some aspects are more important than others to some, and some don’t focus on any of it. It’s all good IMO. Wherever we are, that’s where we are.

Haven't walked a mile in your shoes. Doesn't surprise me you've played to an 8. And you're 100% correct that playing at all is a challenge that MAY be lasting and MAY not as you comb through your own swing options and awareness of what can and can't be done going forward. You might play to an 18 now and that fact in and of itself MAY induce you to abandon golf. All that you say is 100% correct.

I met a guy about 18 months ago from Memphis. Our age. Won all the state ams and worked for years for as an Engineer for the company that makes True-temper shafts. Said he hasn't played in 10 years. It wasn't an injury or health that drove him away. The young bucks were blowing drives past him and beating him. He played to win and if he didn't win there was no point in continuing. (His way of seeing it).

So I mentioned things about what constitutes "winning". You know me Scomacer. I slathered on the philosophical stuff about "winning" be a victory over the odds of still playing at our age, and "winning" being about sharing war stories in the grill and maybe helping other golfers and such. But it didn't matter what I thought. It was his call and he'd made up his mind. As dumb chance would have it, about six months later he started showing interest in returning to the game. But if he did, it wasn't because of a single thing I said - it would be because he had his own strong convictions and wanted very much - to call his own shots on his own terms. He was/is entitled to do just that - just as you are. For your own reasons and in your own good time you will play more - or play less - or play with a different swing - or play even better. On YOUR terms.

But here's one thing you need to know. As unique and odd as it may seem - some crazy hand of destiny placed you here among us. And as odd as it may seem, we would be just as proud of you as a 28 as we would if you were an 8. We would revel in your stories of lessons learned - and how you developed whatever swing you developed your way - and how you view vintage clubs - working at courses - things you've seen - and places you've been.

It's a hell of a thing isn't it? As long as you want or care to - you can still experience golf right here and no one is judging it. Doesn't matter if you played last week or 10 years ago. We are all good with it! That is, IF YOU WANT TO.

DO NOT loose the faith in one thing. Your back may be against you - be we aren't.

PS - I'm going to turn your arse into a swing analyst before its over. Your realize that don't you???? https://lh5.googleus...UObbeTA1by6vQeK

Going to attempt a collective response to these replies. Gives me an opportunity to play with Google docs…

First of all thank you for your replies. I feel a bit sheepish in that an apology came out of it for surely that wasn’t the intent of my post.

I do appreciate the support that everyone here has shown me during this extended period of time. I’m sure there was many a day when you would come on here and went; oh jeez, he’s at it again…

The truth is that I’m not sure what the future holds on all sorts of fronts and that uncertainty in itself causes more than a small measure of angst. All I can say is that the last several months have not gone according to plan or at the very least not gone like how I imagined.

AS for the golf; we all want to play as well as we can play, whatever that amounts to. But as my old friend Walter said to me a few weeks back; it’s not about how you play it’s about the fellowship and getting out. That’s really it isn’t it and not feeling overwhelmed with the situation we’ve put ourselves in. (referencing my online bridge experiences)

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Gents, when it comes to the mind, body, and spirit of golf and how we individually approach the game:

For going on three days of off and on trying, I've learned I may wan't to, but thus far can't find a good sharing brand of post. All attempts are wordy, preachy, and complex, I go away and come back later to open it only to realize I'd shut down on it, click "like" out of a sense of obligation, and basically ignore it.

I realize it's not up to me to change the world here - lol. But this has indeed sparked a challenge within of sorts. Still at it. Persevering. This may or may not ever make it to the Grille. I refuse to talk "at" you guys.

I must say in the meantime - it's been FANTASTIC reading to hear each of you share how YOU relate to the game. The only thing that matters at the end of the day is that each person enjoy it - however he does that in his own way is a beautiful thing.

LOL - maybe that right there should be the post I'm looking for and just quit right there? Kinda what it all comes down to, no?

DeNinny pretty much cured me of wanting to analyze the golf swing. It's supposed to be fun, not the subject of a post doctoral dissertation in theoretical physics.

FWIW I do think that the golf swing has an inherent conflict between mechanics and tension free fluidity. While the swing as currently taught is undoubtedly efficient due to analysis, there has been a trade-off made between power and suppleness, hence the preponderance of back injuries. Just look at how much hand and wrist action used to be involved in putting and chipping and how that has all been abandoned in favour of large muscle group strokes which I believe tends to lead to rigidity. All of this can be avoided with sufficient practice, but few have the willingness let alone the time to devote to such things. We forget that for most this is a recreational pastime, not a calling.

De Ninny and I still converse some and I browse the Exploding Heads Thread some. It has more or less died out though. Now I like De Ninny and it is funny because he and I are wired polarally opposite. He does have one great mind IMHO borderline genius when it comes to physics and stuff. Me I have redneck logic some education but common redneck sense. Now sometimes I had to read his posts several times to digest what he was getting at but usually I understood it.

Now you guys know I am not a student of the swing period. I let it fly so to speak and I am a firm believer of Paralysis by Analysis. People with great minds work like a computer and that is how they are wired. I have been sorta coaching him on "Don't Think Just hit The Damn Ball" He has sorta came around to my way of thinking he told me and is playing better. I have also coached him some on Redneck Golf Club Engineering and he has put that together too. But nothing I say or anyone else says in this game is Holy Grail and I will be the first to admit that. But yep De Ninny has changed some but the Physicist Engineer in him will always be working because that is how he is wired

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

One of my golfing friends played in a pro am last year and they always let the amateurs tee off first, he said it was very daunting seeing how far past his drives they were driving. His aim was to learn something from them but he said his head was reeling so much it was difficult to think straight.

That is where you have to keep your head in your game---- Trust me I learned that with age

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

IMO it’s not that big a deal...some guys hit it well and score well...some guys score well despite not hitting it well..some guys hit it well and don’t score well..and some guys don’t hit it well and don’t score well....

If you hit it well and or score well, you may not understand the plight of not hitting well and not scoring well at the same time...lol.

When there is no positive aspect to your game you will search to find one...lol.

DW bought a new iPhone this morning. She was eligible for a free upgrade so took advantage of that opportunity and upgraded our cell plan to include more data so there's less chance of us bumping up against the limit before month end.

Under the heading of nothing is hassle free, she's having her share of issues getting her various apps to function properly since switching to the new phone. she has to log in to each app and then the phone keeps telling her that her passwords aren't strong enough. There must be some setting that can be adjusted to tone down the security prompts on this new 7+.

--------------------------

DW and I played 9 holes this afternoon. That was the first golf I've played in over 3 months. It wasn't pretty, but I got through it without being any worse for wear than I anticipated. Sore for sure in the low back around the beltline, but nothing that would suggest I should stop.

I was starting to get tired after 7 holes, so nine holes on a short course appears to be about all I can tolerate for now. We'll see how I feel over the next couple of days as to determine when I might go out again. At least it's a start.

First thing that I noticed was I wasn't comfortable in my golf shoes. I have another pair that I will try next time -- Ashworth Cardiff -- that provide for a wider base than what I was feeling with my Foot Joys. If they don't work satisfactorily, then I will be playing in standard athletic shoes.

I didn't hit the ball well at all. As much as I've been trying to ingrain the basic move that Julian Mellor espouses, I found myself drifting back to my old ways with just a bit more foot action which has probably led to the poor results. I was hooking my woods and failing to get much in the way of elevation on my irons. I was taking lots of club, but was still coming up short. I was trying my best not to overswing and I think that I succeeded in that endeavour. The distance loss has been pretty dramatic though to say the least.

I putted pretty well. Distance control on lags was a bit of an issue, but that will come with repetition. The indoor practice at home has been helpful I think with being able to clean-up all the short ones. Short game was meh. Again not really a surprise considering a lack of practice. Should have opted for a couple of bump and runs rather than putting from just off the green as that cost me a couple of strokes.

DW kept score even though I wasn't interested. She said I shot 41 which seems quite a bit better than how I played, but as they say; it's not how, but how many!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

DeNinny pretty much cured me of wanting to analyze the golf swing. It's supposed to be fun, not the subject of a post doctoral dissertation in theoretical physics.

FWIW I do think that the golf swing has an inherent conflict between mechanics and tension free fluidity. While the swing as currently taught is undoubtedly efficient due to analysis, there has been a trade-off made between power and suppleness, hence the preponderance of back injuries. Just look at how much hand and wrist action used to be involved in putting and chipping and how that has all been abandoned in favour of large muscle group strokes which I believe tends to lead to rigidity. All of this can be avoided with sufficient practice, but few have the willingness let alone the time to devote to such things. We forget that for most this is a recreational pastime, not a calling.

De Ninny and I still converse some and I browse the Exploding Heads Thread some. It has more or less died out though. Now I like De Ninny and it is funny because he and I are wired polarally opposite. He does have one great mind IMHO borderline genius when it comes to physics and stuff. Me I have redneck logic some education but common redneck sense. Now sometimes I had to read his posts several times to digest what he was getting at but usually I understood it.

Now you guys know I am not a student of the swing period. I let it fly so to speak and I am a firm believer of Paralysis by Analysis. People with great minds work like a computer and that is how they are wired. I have been sorta coaching him on "Don't Think Just hit The Damn Ball" He has sorta came around to my way of thinking he told me and is playing better. I have also coached him some on Redneck Golf Club Engineering and he has put that together too. But nothing I say or anyone else says in this game is Holy Grail and I will be the first to admit that. But yep De Ninny has changed some but the Physicist Engineer in him will always be working because that is how he is wired

I don't care how he is wired. When he behaves like an a**hat he's gonna get called out for it. Stu, why

don't you go back to his post in here where he called all of us a bunch of effing cupcakes because we

don't buy his conspiracy theories or his "I read a book" physics...….and especially don't like his lecturing

and condescending posts. It is what it is; he alienates people. He will stand in a room and proclaim he

is right over and over until everyone has left and he is in the room alone.

That engineered bike video is incredibly cool Reason. Trying to teach my eldest Peanut how to ride a bike at the moment. Challenging doing it the first time, must be incredibly difficult changing those patterns later in life. We are creatures of habit.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

I heard about this today but hadn't seen it til now LOL

[media=]

[/media]

I thought the video was funny, but I'm not a fan of the shirts Phil is sporting. Seeing a man in a full button shirt on the golf course looks so odd to me. Maybe this is the next fashion wave and I'm simply lagging behind (which wouldn't shock me at all).

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

PS - Good to see him rocking the 'dad-bod'. That we share in common.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

That engineered bike video is incredibly cool Reason. Trying to teach my eldest Peanut how to ride a bike at the moment. Challenging doing it the first time, must be incredibly difficult changing those patterns later in life. We are creatures of habit.

We sure are, aren't we? Have invested some time investigating the learning potential and capacity to learn new things of late. Interesting stuff.

Teaching your little buddy to ride a bike. Man, does it get any better than that? Makes you glad you didn't wait any longer to have kids. It's work running along with by their side - lol. But so worth it once it clicks-in. I remember getting our kids going was half the equation. The other half was teaching them to stop!

Interesting that you've been looking into learning new things etc. I was sort of doing that awhile back when I was looking

into skills learning and strength gaining for us seniors. I was very encouraged to find that we can do both and it's good as

seniors to keep on pursuing things.

My motivation for looking was, of course, golf and piano playing, but this can apply to most things. I'm really starting to

get a mindset of just not thinking about my age and just proceeding as I would have at any other point in life. Of course,

the difference now will be that I will finally have the time.

Interesting that you've been looking into learning new things etc. I was sort of doing that awhile back when I was looking

into skills learning and strength gaining for us seniors. I was very encouraged to find that we can do both and it's good as

seniors to keep on pursuing things.

My motivation for looking was, of course, golf and piano playing, but this can apply to most things. I'm really starting to

get a mindset of just not thinking about my age and just proceeding as I would have at any other point in life. Of course,

the difference now will be that I will finally have the time.

Rad there's quite a bit out there well worth checking into on this stuff. You're 100% right. There was a time when it was believed only the young mind easily learns new and complex things Science didn't argue that the aging person stands a good chance of declining strength and stamina side, as well. So it was sort of expected / accepted that once the downhill slide begins, you're toast and every passing day just marked how much more so.

Not so much now. In fact - the opposite is being proven. We just have to WANT to and be receptive. Things will take us longer to get there and we will need to be realistic about trying to outperform a 20 year old. But we are only "past it" when we give up and throw the towel in.

The other piece of all this worth checking into (IMHO) is that if we DON'T work the mind and keep the blood flowing in the old body, we WILL go into decline on all fronts. So part of this is perhaps just trying to retard the rate of going backwards - lol.

Oh well - it's just something I've been sniffing around and wondering about. Interesting. Glad I'm not the only one who's thought to look into it. Yet one more example of not being all alone in this world. lol

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)