Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

NEVER leave me in here by myself. Very bad things will ensue.

RBC in Canada underway. Spooky likes Rush (also Canadian). We've been discussing how time slips away.

So from their song The Garden

In this one of many possible worlds, all for the best, or some bizarre test?

It is what it is - and whatever

Time is still the infinite jest

The arrow files when you dream, the hours tick away - the cells tick away

The Watchmaker keeps to his schemes

The hours tick away - they tick away

The measure of a life is a measure of love and respect

So hard to earn, so easily burned

In the fullness of time

A garden to nurture and protect

In the rise and the set of the sun

'Til the stars go spinning - spinning 'round the night

It is what it is - and forever

Each moment a memory in flight

The arrow flies while you breathe, the hours tick away - the cells tick away

The Watchmaker has time up his sleeve

The hours tick away - they tick away

The treasure of a life is a measure of love and respect

The way you live, the gifts that you give

In the fullness of time

It's the only return that you expect

The future disappears into memory

With only a moment between

Forever dwells in that moment

Hope is what remains to be seen,

So true.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

Let me tell you about my third cousin on my Dad's side. He was born outside of London, spent much of his youth in Egypt and his early adult years in Japan.

He was the family's only known world traveler on that scale at that time. He ended up taking residence and eventually passed away in Broken Arrow Oklahoma. Once settled in the US he had his name changed from Pete Torchlicker to something he felt reflected his life growing up in various cultures.

So in 1959 he legally became Albert Nal Lee. He was known to friends as "Nal" Still have one of his business cards (he invented a unique way of extracting cat gut from living cats who soon after recovered but forever walked funny). His business card says:

A. Nal Lee

Call Me

I string your instrument without killing your cat.

Nal's tools used to gut cats were seized by the Army Corp of Engineers in an unfortunate incident where a cat escaped in mid-procedure before the shot of whiskey kicked-in. The animal ran into a local pulp and paper mill fouling a six month run of toilet paper slated for the lower half of Oklahoma. (The upper half doesn't need toilet paper).

Needless to say, that was a sad day for stringed instruments, cats needing a colonic, and septic tank cleaners statewide.

But there's an upside. In the aftermath, Nal capitalized by finding a new way to extract the DNA from billy goats by playing golf with them on days spelled with an "R" in it. This lead to discovery of a gene that causes a goat to be blue-eyed AND hit a slice.

And as we all know - that information went on to prove vital in the worldwide campaign to eradicate cupboard dust.

BTW, where's that slacker Gus been lately? The nerve of that guy leaving me to eat roller food.

Glad you asked, Gus has fixed a couple specialty choices today from Europe, egg in the hole with bacon strips on Italian loaf bread from Italy, or Beans on Toast from Great Britain... take your pick....or as the board says, 'Breakfast from Yurup, Egg yn the Hole or Beans and Toast' (Cyndy came in early too)

Actors, Radio and TV personalities famously have a "stage name".

Boomer Von Cannon here with the latest news, weather, and traffic updates."

NASCAR racing drivers - very often the same. It's possible but I have doubts a driver was born and named "Lake Speed".

What might be a good cheesy name for a golfer who wanted a stage name?

O.B. Wright, Carrie Waters (LPGA), Offadek Gunnawunnahiddadriva (Thailand star), Bones Zerkreeky (Champion Tour), Paxton Snapchat (like-almost on the LPGA), Champs Elysees (from Modesto), Brenda Biteyeller (LPGA), Sam Hill (what in the...?) I.P. Muchly (Champions Tour) Sotah Cracker (not Notah)

Ji I.M. Inn No Park Lane (KLPGA star), Buckford 'Buckhead' Headley

And THAT ladies and gentlemen is how to clear a room in three easy posts.

pulling the finger is plan b just in case.

It was a valiant attempt...

BTW, just what is this fascination with finger pulling? Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

WE went out last night to an event at a Niagara area winery called Fire-pit Friday.

A small winery located in the village of Jordan that happens to be owned by a sports radio talk show host who is nationally syndicated.

The reason that we attended was that the fellow who catered the wedding was providing the food from his mobile wood fired pizza oven. It was not disappointing as his airy thin crush creations satiated the senses once again. On offer were the following: margarita, pepperoni, mango chicken with brie and son of a peach (peach, prosciutto, arugula and balsamic glaze. WE ordered one of each to split amongst the five of us as #1 son joined us along with my BIL & SIL. The consensus favourite was the mango chicken with a close second being the margarita.

The winery was selling wine by the glass charging $12 for the first one and you get to keep the glass, a Govino tumbler which are great for use on the patio. All subsequent glasses were $7 for the refill. The wine was pretty much nondescript Pinot which lead me to a few conclusions based on some early observations.

We got there early and I parked at the back of the lot near the employee lot. First thing I noticed was a 3 1/2 acre plot of grapes that were growing wild with no evidence of intervention by a viticulturist. When I turned my attention to the out buildings I noticed a rather large collection of stainless steel fermentation tanks sitting out on a concrete pad unused. These were used tanks with the telltale signs of having been moved in a less than gingerly fashion. There was also a bunch of ancillary pieces like a grape press, a wine pump and several skids of old barrel racks. One of two things were happening; either a winery was being set up or dismantled. I'm thinking the latter, but didn't bother to ask any questions assuming the answers would be less than satisfying from the retail staff.

My conclusion being that this is simply a retail outlet with the grape production contracted out along with the wine making. The out buildings would simply be warehousing. I didn't bother to poke around any further and be nosey. The wine we had was reminiscent of mass produced stuff rather than small batch production that is typical with boutique type wineries. I will be interested to stick my nose in again later in the season to see if my conclusions are correct or there is some evidence of production taking place.

Having some insight into the economics of small winery production in this part of the world it's likely that a contract model is more cost effective as your overhead is quite a bit lower, but many of these wineries are owned by individuals who are drawn into the day-to-day goings on of wine production and fancy the idea that they can produce superior product (which in many cases they can't, but they will continue to try) that can be marketed at a superior price. In contrast, selling wine cheaply out the cellar door is a bit of a novel idea that may find a market.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

The Tour de France is winding down with today being the penultimate stage in the form of a hilly individual time trial, also known as the race of truth as each rider gets an individual time versus the group finish timing that comes on mass start stages. I have it on in the background as we are getting the Aussie feed featuring Mathew Keenan and Robbie McEwen on commentary. ITT's are pretty boring to watch as the riders head out in 2 minute intervals, but this is the last stage that will have an impact on the standings.

Perhaps the best thing about this year's version (beside a changing of the guard at the top) has been listening to The Move podcast later in the day to hear the rather blunt commentary of Lance Armstrong, George Hincapie and Johan Bruyneel. Yes, I know that these guys have all been disgraced, but when everyone was on the juice I find it difficult to get too sanctimonious about it all. Their point-of-view is refreshing to the politically correct sunshine that gets blown up our arses by those who are paid to comment by the broadcasting interests and the race owner. A couple of days ago there was a furor over a Tweet accusing a French rider of taking pulls from the team car in order to make the time cut on a big mountain stage. The suggestion being that this wasn't the first time that has happened with this rider. There's a lot that goes on beyond the reach of the cameras especially at the back of the race. If the authorities aren't watching there's no evidence on way or the other, but you can rest assured that the peloton will know what goes on. No wonder they have Omerta .

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

BTW, where's that slacker Gus been lately? The nerve of that guy leaving me to eat roller food.

Glad you asked, Gus has fixed a couple specialty choices today from Europe, egg in the hole with bacon strips on Italian loaf bread from Italy, or Beans on Toast from Great Britain... take your pick....or as the board says, 'Breakfast from Yurup, Egg yn the Hole or Beans and Toast' (Cyndy came in early too)

Did you know that baked beans on toast provides all the nutritional requirements the body needs, it is a complete meal unlike many things we consume.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

The Tour de France is winding down with today being the penultimate stage in the form of a hilly individual time trial, also known as the race of truth as each rider gets an individual time versus the group finish timing that comes on mass start stages. I have it on in the background as we are getting the Aussie feed featuring Mathew Keenan and Robbie McEwen on commentary. ITT's are pretty boring to watch as the riders head out in 2 minute intervals, but this is the last stage that will have an impact on the standings.

Perhaps the best thing about this year's version (beside a changing of the guard at the top) has been listening to The Move podcast later in the day to hear the rather blunt commentary of Lance Armstrong, George Hincapie and Johan Bruyneel. Yes, I know that these guys have all been disgraced, but when everyone was on the juice I find it difficult to get too sanctimonious about it all. Their point-of-view is refreshing to the politically correct sunshine that gets blown up our arses by those who are paid to comment by the broadcasting interests and the race owner. A couple of days ago there was a furor over a Tweet accusing a French rider of taking pulls from the team car in order to make the time cut on a big mountain stage. The suggestion being that this wasn't the first time that has happened with this rider. There's a lot that goes on beyond the reach of the cameras especially at the back of the race. If the authorities aren't watching there's no evidence on way or the other, but you can rest assured that the peloton will know what goes on. No wonder they have Omerta .

Used to watch the race, in particular Lance Armstrong, lost interest after he was outed. Just another money making scheme for cheaters.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

WE went out last night to an event at a Niagara area winery called Fire-pit Friday.

A small winery located in the village of Jordan that happens to be owned by a sports radio talk show host who is nationally syndicated.

The reason that we attended was that the fellow who catered the wedding was providing the food from his mobile wood fired pizza oven. It was not disappointing as his airy thin crush creations satiated the senses once again. On offer were the following: margarita, pepperoni, mango chicken with brie and son of a peach (peach, prosciutto, arugula and balsamic glaze. WE ordered one of each to split amongst the five of us as #1 son joined us along with my BIL & SIL. The consensus favourite was the mango chicken with a close second being the margarita.

The winery was selling wine by the glass charging $12 for the first one and you get to keep the glass, a Govino tumbler which are great for use on the patio. All subsequent glasses were $7 for the refill. The wine was pretty much nondescript Pinot which lead me to a few conclusions based on some early observations.

We got there early and I parked at the back of the lot near the employee lot. First thing I noticed was a 3 1/2 acre plot of grapes that were growing wild with no evidence of intervention by a viticulturist. When I turned my attention to the out buildings I noticed a rather large collection of stainless steel fermentation tanks sitting out on a concrete pad unused. These were used tanks with the telltale signs of having been moved in a less than gingerly fashion. There was also a bunch of ancillary pieces like a grape press, a wine pump and several skids of old barrel racks. One of two things were happening; either a winery was being set up or dismantled. I'm thinking the latter, but didn't bother to ask any questions assuming the answers would be less than satisfying from the retail staff.

My conclusion being that this is simply a retail outlet with the grape production contracted out along with the wine making. The out buildings would simply be warehousing. I didn't bother to poke around any further and be nosey. The wine we had was reminiscent of mass produced stuff rather than small batch production that is typical with boutique type wineries. I will be interested to stick my nose in again later in the season to see if my conclusions are correct or there is some evidence of production taking place.

Having some insight into the economics of small winery production in this part of the world it's likely that a contract model is more cost effective as your overhead is quite a bit lower, but many of these wineries are owned by individuals who are drawn into the day-to-day goings on of wine production and fancy the idea that they can produce superior product (which in many cases they can't, but they will continue to try) that can be marketed at a superior price. In contrast, selling wine cheaply out the cellar door is a bit of a novel idea that may find a market.

We were on holiday in North Queensland last year and one of the places we visited was a small family run winery. They make their wine out of anything other than grapes, all sorts of tropical fruit that they grow and pick themselves, some very interesting tasting wines. They have a very small but hugely successful business going, producing thousands of bottles with a very small staff. Everything is done on site right down the the bottling and labelling, the majority of their sales are online.

My favourites were passionfruit and jaboticaba wines.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Did you know that baked beans on toast provides all the nutritional requirements the body needs, it is a complete meal unlike many things we consume.

I sure did, we have lots of beans at our house. My DW makes bean soup and bean stuff, just bean stuff to keep it simple. And I knew that beans and toast is a British staple for breakfast. They wonder why we must start the day with sweets, pancakes, syrup, donuts, jellies and the like. Well that makes beans and toast a great way to start the day then doesn't it?

Nice to see Gus and the girls back. I'll take the eggs in a hole. Eggs are a higher quality protein than beans, though

I do like beans.

Breakfast used to be break fast and specific foods were eaten to break a fast. The modern idea of breakfast and

breakfast foods in particular, are creations of the food industry and their marketing campaigns many many years

ago. Safe to say those old marketing ploys worked and are still working today though the creators of those

marketing ploys have long been pushing up daisies.

Many breakfast foods are probably the worst things you can eat to start your day, lol.

It was a valiant attempt...

BTW, just what is this fascination with finger pulling? Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

it's a bit of a troll attempt to lure our old friend Michael C back into the Grille. He hasn't posted in a long time. On the very long-shot chance he checks in now and it's maybe a best chance of bringing him back home. That's prolly not likely but I keep tossing chum in the water hoping the day may come. He's a good friend to us all. Loved a little goofy gaseous humor now and then and so do I. If we ever met one of the first things we'd probably say to each other is "PULL MY FINGER!". Blatantly juvenile of us? YES! But nonetheless lovable!

A piece or two of us need never grow up (IMO).

NASCAR racing drivers - very often the same. It's possible but I have doubts a driver was born and named "Lake Speed".

O.B. Wright, Carrie Waters (LPGA), Offadek Gunnawunnahiddadriva (Thailand star), Bones Zerkreeky (Champion Tour), Paxton Snapchat (like-almost on the LPGA), Champs Elysees (from Modesto), Brenda Biteyeller (LPGA), Sam Hill (what in the...?) I.P. Muchly (Champions Tour) Sotah Cracker (not Notah)

PERFECT! Especially loved Biteyeller but they're all superb!

:nono: you couldn't clear a room with a fire hose ! Your posts are too good for anyone to leave !

We might as well share a laugh or two!

True story. (honestly)

Was in a training about two lifetimes ago where myself and a group of six or eight guys were taught by firefighters how to properly use one of those rolled-up fire hoses in a high rise building. The training firefighter made it VERY clear that the guy on the business end of that hose should plant his feet wide and firm, turn 90 degrees to the target (like a golf stance) and THEN slowly open the nozzle. He couldn't have said it in more plain spoken English. We were outdoors for the training since the plan was to open up that nozzle and flood an area of the parking lot (which would have obviously caused a lot of damage indoors).

Guess what dumbarse here did?

Yep. I get elected to be the first one at the nozzle end. We grab the hose from the firetruck and the gang is taking hold of their section of the hose right behind me as we take off charging for the tree stump at the edge of the parking lot we're practicing on. And right on queue, I stand facing the stump, feet together, RIP that lever valve wide open and went flying backwards like a cannon shot into the guy behind me who hits the guy behind him. And to make things worse, I never turn the valve back down. Instead I keep trying and failing to get to my feet as the flood of water sprays everyone and everything within 30 feet. Cars got washed, People got drenched. And there I was flopping like a fish on the beach fighting it.

Ya know it takes a special breed of dumbarse to fail to listen and top it off by making a fool out of himself for another ten seconds. Had it not been for the firefighter shutting down the valve at the truck, I'd still be out there flailing around all over that lot!

RIP Bruce Lietzke.

The quintessential golfer who played by summonsing up his "spirit man" as he called it to hit shots. He described it as an out-of-body experience whereby he just shut down and let his "spirit man" execute. Would prefer to fish and relax off the course to practicing day and night and yet STILL was able to compete in the shadows of the big guns like Jack, Arnie, and Gary.

We lost a very talented man who just simply got it done from a very deep place within. Have referenced the guy many times for his ability to get it done without working so hard at it.

PERFECT! Especially loved Biteyeller but they're all superb!

Yes, they all pertain to someone like in Sgt. Pepper, Brenda is Cristie Kerr...

Returning from the Canadian Open.

Made it a point to walk the entire course (Glen Abbey) as there is talk that it will be closing in the near future (to build a housing development). Spent a great deal of time walking alongside Mike Weir, Rory Sabbatini, Cameron Tringale, Sung Kang, Chad Campbell, Nick Watney, Martin Piller, and John Senden (also saw shots from many other players).

A few observations:

1) A beautiful golf course (especially the holes in 'the valley'). Wondered what I'd shoot from the middle tee box given the change in elevation, undulating fairways and greens, and forced carries.

2) The rounds of the players that shot 75 (Weir) and 68 (Sabbatini) didn't look all that different. A few missed/made putts, a single unforced error, a failed/successful up and down, etc.

3) So many flighted shots. Very few full swings.

4) They don't miss many putts inside 5 feet, and rarely 3 putt. The lag putting is so impressive (especially from 40+ feet).

5) The ball makes a different sound when it carries through the air. Almost sounds like it 'sizzles' when it carries overhead.

6) Pre-shot routines are so deliberate (almost painfully so). They don't appear to hit an indecisive shot. Many resets.

7) Amazed that they can function with so many people around them. Sabbatini hit a shot with me standing 10 feet in front of him on the other side of a rope. Just don't know how they do that.

8) The rounds are so slow.

9) There were so many players grinding on the range and putting green after their rounds (including players who were deep under par).

So much more I'm certain, but that's what I've got.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

I'm going to add what seems like effortless power.

They all seem to hit the ball far (even Weir, who is always referenced as a 'short hitter' was hitting 'bombs' by my standards). I'm sure it's sequencing, but they generate so much speed. Look so stable thoughout the swings. Transitions are so fluid.

Tried to capture some of that during a round the next morning and it was 'hit and miss' to say the least.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Returning from the Canadian Open.

Made it a point to walk the entire course (Glen Abbey) as there is talk that it will be closing in the near future (to build a housing development). Spent a great deal of time walking alongside Mike Weir, Rory Sabbatini, Cameron Tringale, Sung Kang, Chad Campbell, Nick Watney, Martin Piller, and John Senden (also saw shots from many other players).

A few observations:

1) A beautiful golf course (especially the holes in 'the valley'). Wondered what I'd shoot from the middle tee box given the change in elevation, undulating fairways and greens, and forced carries.

2) The rounds of the players that shot 75 (Weir) and 68 (Sabbatini) didn't look all that different. A few missed/made putts, a single unforced error, a failed/successful up and down, etc.

3) So many flighted shots. Very few full swings.

4) They don't miss many putts inside 5 feet, and rarely 3 putt. The lag putting is so impressive (especially from 40+ feet).

5) The ball makes a different sound when it carries through the air. Almost sounds like it 'sizzles' when it carries overhead.

6) Pre-shot routines are so deliberate (almost painfully so). They don't appear to hit an indecisive shot. Many resets.

7) Amazed that they can function with so many people around them. Sabbatini hit a shot with me standing 10 feet in front of him on the other side of a rope. Just don't know how they do that.

8) The rounds are so slow.

9) There were so many players grinding on the range and putting green after their rounds (including players who were deep under par).

So much more I'm certain, but that's what I've got.

Wow PD, you have nailed this so well. It's exactly the stuff I have seen at the Memorial for years. The sound, the look. They way they do everything so precisely and pull it off with such ease. I think what has amazed me that I tried to replicate unsuccessfully over the years was how they swing so simply, easily and the ball just takes off like a rocket. Anyway I like your observations...

I need to take a day off from retirement ! I just walked into t thread where guys are seriously saying they wont wear

shirts,pants,hat shoes of different brands. It just looks better when everything is same brand.....OMG......

And to listen to them...they ALL wear pants....no shorts....long pants.....

Either I am way out of sync or they are living in a bubble...lol

Guess me and my mis-matched outfit would cause them to hyper-ventilate ! i would see them in their matching one brand

clothing ensemble,and bust out laughing !

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Was able to get a down the line vid today after I played 9. Comments, input, advice are/is welcome.

More to come later.

Geez-o-Pete that ball SNAPS off the clubface. Good stuff!

//////////

PD is reported to be wearing a Press Pass! Maybe we might get some behind the scenes locker room reporting.

////////

Bill, if you're anything like me, I just hope the socks match and the pants don't fall down.

If a golfer would wear long pants in 90+ degree summer heat (matching or not) just because he can, would he also run naked through the rose bushes in the dead of winter for the same reason? Just asking. Maybe we missed the memo or something.

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)