2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Tol what are the "rules" to painting? What are common rookie-mistakes? There must be some things no self-respecting artist would even attempt, right? Do you pencil draw on the blank canvass or is that considered "cheating"? Any other stuff like that?

In the sport of basketball it's get's a lot of eye-rolling from fellow players/fans when a shot bounces off the back-board before dripping through the net. AKA the bank shot. It's not considered cheating but it's somehow frowned upon as compared to that "swish" that falls out of the air and touches nothing but net. The funny part about that one is, when I was a kid the "bank shot" was encouraged.

Funny how some things are considered either 'against the rules, or taking the easy way out. Heck if I could paint by numbers, I'd consider it since I can't even sketch a dog without having it look like an elephant!

Have to give that some consideration as it depends which medium you are using, water colours, acrylic and oils are completely different to use. Will get back to you soon.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

Wow, I'm up at the crack of dawn today...……...out west. It gets early late out here. I could go play a

round, go bowling, skeet shooting and have breakfast Then my day can begin.

Where's Gus and the girls these days? I guess I'll have to find a Waffle House.

When Francesco was asked about the turnaround in his game this year he said it's the...…..pasta!

Wow such great posting! (soon to be tooled) I chose to be AWOL because I recorded the British Open coverage and had to watch it after the fact. Amazing I did not hear or see anything to spoil it. Yes congrats to Molinari. Momentum is a wonderful thing! Like my lil bro tells me when I have a Eureka moment. “Enjoy it while it lasts” His little poke at me that I only THINK I have “found it”.

Scommer. Beautiful wedding! Congrats and enjoy the afterglow and the memories. You did a lot of work along with others and it is worth it.

Spook. You have all the makings of a very nice swing. Thanks for sharing. It is so much easier here at the Grille. I and A reviews can be brutal.

Reasey. Nice analysis. Well put together and easy to understand!

Stu. Manchester Chihuahua? I think that is very much like the Toy Manchester that we had when I was a kid. Great dog! No dog smell and did not shed. It loved to chase rabbits in the sagebrush hills behind our house in So Cal.

Fella. Nice to see you back!

You Grille dieters have fat shamed me. I’m way overdue for another Yo-Yo diet.

Return of the prodigal son! Yes, we catch a wave and enjoy it while it lasts. We're code-crackers! Move over Don Quixote.

Par 3, par 5, they all still count Scomacer. Radro makes practice swings in the dark at truck stops and that's golf, too. No worries here about where/when/how. Experiencing it live or in the memory banks - it can still be experienced. On that note, it's time for the latest addition of (dot dot dot)

WHAT SHOULD SIXTY DO???

He's playing a tee shot into a facing 2 club wind. I't a long-ish par 3 with deep bunkers to the left of the green, and water to the right of it. The green slopes back to front and is quite generous in size from left to right but not very deep from front to back. The rough in back of the green is playable but the grass is a taller back there. If you hack one out, you risk the dreaded skull shot across the green to a nice flat spot of tight but uneven lies. You'd have to chip it in for par if that happens.

The pin is set on the front of this green. About 6 paces beyond the collar.

What should Sixty do from the tee box?

Ha, WSSD? I have the answer to that, I'd hit my trusty stinger 5-wood off the deck. Has not let me down in cases like this. If it's short but close, oddly I use a low running 8 iron which I control well just to continue keeping it short of the cup but in line (if not in)...

WSSD- Oh my goodness, you'd hear 52 years worth of reasons why I'm not a pro :superman:

As far as putting, not Aimpoint if it's short, we all know a short putt uphill on a sloped down green will go straight. Same with a downhill putt pretty much. But if my 2nd shot ends up at 90* right or left of the hole at some distance, yes I use AimPoint Express because of the arch, and that's where it helps me the most. I always used to underestimate the arch, and my putts would tumble down short of the hole and role down too quickly as happens to many golfers. The idea is to learn to play the feel of the strength of the arch, not over power either, just play it higher than what it 'looks' to be...

Whadda ya know... I've been doing this all along. Never called it Aimpoint though, just figure the break, roll it firm enough to get it there and always allow for more than you think.

The problems haven't been the lags, it's been the comebacker that I push/pull/leave short! :fool:

[Added] FWIW I like the stinger 5W left short of the hole and then bump it on with 8i. Just like Sixty said! :good:

[Added2] The 9th hole at the course I used to work at is similar in that it's a long carry over water to an elevated green that slopes back to front. It's reachable with a well placed driver or 3W depending upon your length, but I got much better average results by playing short with a utility 4 onto the fairway below the hole and then pitching up onto the putting surface trying to keep the ball below the hole. Probably saved me a half a stroke that way on average because even a greened tee shot does not guarantee par.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Glad we are having a nice gentle steady drizzle this morning....Got the lawn fertilized ...now

it sure looks like it is going to be a good final round ...time for some French Toast and Amish Maple syrup

while I watch this !

Glad you are getting a "steady drizzle" Noah just sailed by on my street a few minutes ago smiling and waving. It has rained in Biblical proportions on and off since Sunday

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

The Open was like the opening line of the Tale of Two Cities IMHO.

We had the makings of a monster playoff. Story lines were all over the leader-board. And then quietly one guy just stepped up and closed the deal.

It was a fantastic win. He deserves the jug and all the atta-boys that go with it. Well done!

The drama of what "could have been" in terms of extra innings suddenly fizzled as it all rather quietly ended with the setting sun.

Beards - currently working on the Frank Nobilo look myself. A little scruff that gets cleaned up around the edges every couple of days for last week or two. The itching is enough to make me feel like a lost dog in the woods. The only anti-itch cream I can locate here at home would normally not be placed on the human face. Would be applied somewhere south of the belt if you know what I mean. A little afraid of trying it. Might relieve the itch but shrink my chin.

LOL I was doing that and the itching got to me and then I got ticked off trimming it and so I said to heck with this and shaved it all off. Besides I look younger with it off and no one guesses I am almost 61

Wow such great posting! (soon to be tooled) I chose to be AWOL because I recorded the British Open coverage and had to watch it after the fact. Amazing I did not hear or see anything to spoil it. Yes congrats to Molinari. Momentum is a wonderful thing! Like my lil bro tells me when I have a Eureka moment. “Enjoy it while it lasts” His little poke at me that I only THINK I have “found it”.

Scommer. Beautiful wedding! Congrats and enjoy the afterglow and the memories. You did a lot of work along with others and it is worth it.

Spook. You have all the makings of a very nice swing. Thanks for sharing. It is so much easier here at the Grille. I and A reviews can be brutal.

Reasey. Nice analysis. Well put together and easy to understand!

Stu. Manchester Chihuahua? I think that is very much like the Toy Manchester that we had when I was a kid. Great dog! No dog smell and did not shed. It loved to chase rabbits in the sagebrush hills behind our house in So Cal.

Fella. Nice to see you back!

You Grille dieters have fat shamed me. I’m way overdue for another Yo-Yo diet.

He is a cross breed between a Manchester Terrier and Chiwawa. It is a recognized breed. A friend of ours has one and filled us in on him. You can see the features of both types in him. You can see the terrier in him when he shakes his play toys and he will attempt to chase a rabbit or squirrel.

Scotee nailed that one!

Ya, I'm swinging my way around the country. Can't always find turf. Some days I'm in the desert

and just have to skip those days, like today. Tomorrow I'll find some turf. Rest areas are usually

the best places. Some even have large grassy areas where I can actually bring a few balls out

there to pitch.

Trying to get some reps in in preparation for retirement later this year. Gotta get the swing muscles

tuned back up so I don't go out completely cold turkey when I fire the game back up again. I've

played a lot of golf in my mind out here. My imaginary game is awesome. I've lost touch with golf

reality. I'm sure I'm gonna get a dose of it soon enough, lol.

Many moons ago 3 of us heavy haulers were shut down for the weekend with wide loads at the Liberty Bell Truck Stop in Elkton Maryland. We made us a par 3 course in the grassy area out back. Used wide load flags on sticks for the pins. My trailer had a back deck and I was hitting wedge floppers off the wood deck. Those were the days all heavy haulers carried either gas or charcoal grills and we used to stock up on food for weekend layovers. Of course all of us had generators and real refrigerators. Sometimes one of us would cut loose and go find a supermarket. Only time we ever had any trouble was at the Giant Truck Stop in Gallup NM. They did not like it that we were cooking instead of eating in their restaurants. Mostly it was some Barney Fife security guard-- One of the guys went in and talked to the GM and nothing else was said.

Nice reading gents.

@tolmij I used to do a bit of painting myself, not so much anymore unless I'm painting with my daughter...we messed around with spray paint cans and canvas a couple months ago...lots of fun.

@reason with regards to the hole/shot scenario if I'm hitting into a 2 club wind, I club up 2 and yank one left! LOL! BUT since water is in play I'll find that no matter what so I guess my yank left would turn back right into the drink. My dad told me once.."I think you could hit a golf ball into a dixie cup from 200yds if there was water in it...."

What bothers me: lots of things bother me...it's a character flaw but I digress. It bothers me when MOST of the high handicapper advice I here is: "Take a 3w off the tee instead of driver..." "Just lay up with a 5i instead of going for the green with a 3w..." "You could play 5i, 5i, PW and be on in three..." "You don't need a high quality ball with your HC..." What they don't realize is I can hit ANY club poorly...8i, wedge, putter, my friend's driver...ANY club in my hand can be a liability...lol. Off the tee I can hit driver, 3w, DI, Hybrid, iron....they can ALL find the woods...lol. And before anyone says..."well if you hit 20 balls more would find the FW with a 3w" wrong.

I just have something going on mentally where I am really psyched to see the outcome of the shot, or I am really anticipating scoring well after a good drive, second shot, chip..etc that gets me in trouble IMO. When I'm playing poorly I am the "second shot champ" I blow the first on, put another down and it's nice- most likely because I know that my chance to score well on that hole is gone.

In all honesty I can truthfully say that I hit as many bad/good shots with all of my clubs. Driver and PW probably have equal stats...the driver may be ahead just by a bit it truth be told, but it's all through the bag. I'm usually pretty good on the range, rarely hit thin or fat and shots go in the intended direction. Then I get on the first hole...I start thinking score, I start thinking about the group behind us...trying to play quick etc.

My set-up, technique, and swing need a lot of work, but I am beginning to feel that my issue is mental, just from a score/anticipation of result standpoint.?

I've had the same issue Spooky when deciding what to hit off the tee. A lot of times I actually have

more confidence with the driver in hand so I just go with the driver; unless there is trouble I can

reach; then I'm forced to club down.

The 12th hole here on The Legislator Course. Par 4. I call it the hallway hole. Trees and water on

the right and trees and water on the left; with the fairway sloping on both sides toward the trouble.

I've hit equally good and bad shots with driver, FW and hybrid. It's a very intimidating tee shot no

matter what club you pick to hit with. Approach shot is no picnic either. The only miss is short. The

other 3 sides are dead. I've seen some big numbers on that hole and it's not a long hole. It just

requires accuracy. I've made birdies there and I've made snowmen. Every day is different, lol.

Nice reading gents.

@tolmij I used to do a bit of painting myself, not so much anymore unless I'm painting with my daughter...we messed around with spray paint cans and canvas a couple months ago...lots of fun.

@reason with regards to the hole/shot scenario if I'm hitting into a 2 club wind, I club up 2 and yank one left! LOL! BUT since water is in play I'll find that no matter what so I guess my yank left would turn back right into the drink. My dad told me once.."I think you could hit a golf ball into a dixie cup from 200yds if there was water in it...."

What bothers me: lots of things bother me...it's a character flaw but I digress. It bothers me when MOST of the high handicapper advice I here is: "Take a 3w off the tee instead of driver..." "Just lay up with a 5i instead of going for the green with a 3w..." "You could play 5i, 5i, PW and be on in three..." "You don't need a high quality ball with your HC..." What they don't realize is I can hit ANY club poorly...8i, wedge, putter, my friend's driver...ANY club in my hand can be a liability...lol. Off the tee I can hit driver, 3w, DI, Hybrid, iron....they can ALL find the woods...lol. And before anyone says..."well if you hit 20 balls more would find the FW with a 3w" wrong.

I just have something going on mentally where I am really psyched to see the outcome of the shot, or I am really anticipating scoring well after a good drive, second shot, chip..etc that gets me in trouble IMO. When I'm playing poorly I am the "second shot champ" I blow the first on, put another down and it's nice- most likely because I know that my chance to score well on that hole is gone.

In all honesty I can truthfully say that I hit as many bad/good shots with all of my clubs. Driver and PW probably have equal stats...the driver may be ahead just by a bit it truth be told, but it's all through the bag. I'm usually pretty good on the range, rarely hit thin or fat and shots go in the intended direction. Then I get on the first hole...I start thinking score, I start thinking about the group behind us...trying to play quick etc.

My set-up, technique, and swing need a lot of work, but I am beginning to feel that my issue is mental, just from a score/anticipation of result standpoint.?

A brother from another mother - lol.

Spooky this is no guarantee (or at least for me it's not). But I'll share something that I've found that helps.

BLOCK PRACTICE - in this type of work, you're hitting the same 7-iron to the same target. Then maybe it's the driver over and over. And so on. It's a GREAT practice technique for grooving technique. It can apply not only to the swing but to the setup or grip or preshot routine. The problem is it gets grooved in practice and doesn't transfer once a scorecard is in the pocket.

RANDOM PRACTICE - This one is less about technique per se. For this one, you vary the club-in hand and what targets you're hitting to - A LOT. If you can, each putt, chip, all the way up to driver is hit in different directions to different targets. This one reportedly makes it from practice to the game far better.

Buried in all of the above is the pre-shot routine. And here comes the goofy part of that one. I tried unsuccessfully to develp better PSRs for everything from putter to shots around the green to full swings in practice and it didn't help that much. BUT - for whatever reason I noticed improvement in learning the PSR during casual rounds with a scorecard in my pocket and actually carried that to future practice sessions rather than the other way around. Why would it matter? I have absolutely no clue.

As to anxiety out there when it counts up and down through the bag. I TOTALLY agree that a great drive seems to bring HUGE pressure on the next shot. Same on the greens. A four foot putt just cannot be a lousy stroke, right? But they sure seem to fall in the hole easily from 10' when it's for a quad bogey versus when it's for a 2 from 3 feet for birdie.

Pre-shot routines are a good thing from my seat. They don't 100% quell the yips with any club in-hand. The help. Random versus block practice helps. Finding where physical and mental tension live and dealing with those demons is a HUGE help IMO.

Probably the biggest thing I personally have to work on is staying deeply calm and relaxed. We had a gent amongst us a couple of years ago (Ham) who suggested we execute strokes with "sleepy" eyes so as to stay relaxed and confident. He often mentioned that one as a great way to drain more putts. Something to consider.

Since you mentioned Hamster Judge, I do wonder how he's doing on his quest to make the tour. I had read a

few of his posts that he posted in Confessions 12 but that's been awhile ago now. It sounded like he was playing

well and some friends were helping out. He's a very talented guy. I hope someday he comes back and gives

us another update.

Since you mentioned Hamster Judge, I do wonder how he's doing on his quest to make the tour. I had read a

few of his posts that he posted in Confessions 12 but that's been awhile ago now. It sounded like he was playing

well and some friends were helping out. He's a very talented guy. I hope someday he comes back and gives

us another update.

Yeah he just kinda disappeared, like moi without the fanfare. Hope all is well with him.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

One week from today is August, unbelievable. This has been the fastest summer I can remember, seems like the Masters was just played a couple of weeks ago, now the Open is over. What's the deal with that? What do you all have left to get done before this year is through?

Every year is getting shorter

Never seem to find the time

Plans that either come to naught

Or half a page of scribbled lines

Every year gets shorter relative to our total lifespan and experience as time progresses.

I finally figured out why time goes faster when you get older. You just plain can't remember as much, it's like you can only remember the highlights of last year instead of every thing that happened like when you were a kid. So if you remember one big thing from every month last year, the year was only 12 things long as opposed to when you were a kid and remember hundreds of things. So far this year I remember like 4 :taunt:

I finally figured out why time goes faster when you get older. You just plain can't remember as much, it's like you can only remember the highlights of last year instead of every thing that happened like when you were a kid. So if you remember one big thing from every month last year, the year was only 12 things long as opposed to when you were a kid and remember hundreds of things. So far this year I remember like 4 :taunt:

Hopefully it's the good things that you remember and not the bad. I suppose that's all dependent upon what significance these events have been and any issues that you may be dealing with.

For me, the wedding has left a lot of indelible memories, far more than might be typical if no milestone event had occurred. Having said that, #1 son got married two years ago and it wasn't until we watched the video of their wedding the other day that I realized what had slipped from my memory. I have found that with a lot of idle time on my hands this summer there has been a lot to reflect back upon over the past 4 or 5 years.

I'm curious to know Sixty if you have gotten out to play much this summer. You haven't really spoken about it. I hope that you have.

DW and I were planning on getting nine holes in tomorrow with a friend. It looks as though I will be remaining on the sidelines for now. It has been a rough week/month for me with nothing in the way of progress. So frustrating after having a pretty positive three week run where I was able to ramp up my activity following the wedding. I think that they're going to plan to play again next week, so there's always that to work towards. We even spoke a bit about curling last night at supper and the what if's as our memberships will be due in about a month's time. If you told me six months ago this was even going to be a question to be pondered, I wouldn't have believed you!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

us another update.

Dredged up an old PM he and I used to do some chatting inside of. Send him a little "hello" note and let him know we're thinking of him. Perhaps an update from his will spring from it. No clue if he's still hoping to turn pro or not. Just hope he still gets out there one way or the other. The man had game - that much is certain. Absolutely gorgeous swing. Very humble and good nature.

Have watched my Mom's memory banks go into steep decline over the last couple of years.

Glass half full or half empty for her on many fronts depending on perspective. You name just about anything that can creep up on an 88-year old lady and there's a 95% chance she suffers from it.

But - at her own stubborn insistence she still lives alone, still gets herself to to grocery store, and with the help of a close friend she gets from one day to the next in the face of it all. We've all seen cases where the mind outlives the body and we've all seen the reverse happen. In Mom's case, it's a little difficult to tell which one is winning the horse race on a given day. BUT - today she is living out her life in her own independent and stubborn way so the glass is pretty full all things considered.

If there's one really good thing to be said for increasing dementia, it's that they forget what it was they always feared. People can be relentless in never letting go of handful of emotional hang-ups and fears and lasting grudges and such. They can end up dying bitter and cynical. My Mom is going to check-out clueless about things which for too much of her life pointed to a glass half-empty. She doesn't remember what it is she used to be so cynical about. She'll go a little goofy but at least not bitter. Glass half full!

Not suggesting I was raised by some evil whacko. Great sense of humor. Sharp mind. Very loyal and loving heart. Attractive in her youth in a Natalie Wood sort of way. But she was a lousy cook and she let a handful of relentless bits of negativity creep in to her daily life and the good news is - nowadays she can't even remember what those things were all about. POOF! lol Such things went the way of her hearing and other issues.

The Open was like the opening line of the Tale of Two Cities IMHO.

We had the makings of a monster playoff. Story lines were all over the leader-board. And then quietly one guy just stepped up and closed the deal.

It was a fantastic win. He deserves the jug and all the atta-boys that go with it. Well done!

The drama of what "could have been" in terms of extra innings suddenly fizzled as it all rather quietly ended with the setting sun.

Beards - currently working on the Frank Nobilo look myself. A little scruff that gets cleaned up around the edges every couple of days for last week or two. The itching is enough to make me feel like a lost dog in the woods. The only anti-itch cream I can locate here at home would normally not be placed on the human face. Would be applied somewhere south of the belt if you know what I mean. A little afraid of trying it. Might relieve the itch but shrink my chin.

LOL I was doing that and the itching got to me and then I got ticked off trimming it and so I said to heck with this and shaved it all off. Besides I look younger with it off and no one guesses I am almost 61

Getting close to whacking it off here, too. Each time I do a little grooming it gets smaller and smaller. I'll be dipped if I'm going to get myself deep into one of those pencil thin, jaw-lining, foo man chu looking things that takes forever to raise and another eternity to maintain. That's fine for those who want or care to go there but it's not a thing I care to even fiddle with.

I'm curious to know Sixty if you have gotten out to play much this summer. You haven't really spoken about it. I hope that you have.

I have not.... September will be a year :(

I'm so sorry to hear that. I do hope that we both get a chance to get back out there even once before the season is over so that we might again experience the sounds and feels and thrills and disappointments that this great game brings.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Nice reading gents.

Was going to refrain from offering any commentary on your posting. Far be it from me to offer any meaningful insight, while continuing to chase my own golf predicaments and issues. I'm nothing more than a semi-aspiring hack, the plays just well enough to get by. Some of the time. But. Perhaps you may find something worth contemplating in the following.

If you're able, find a time to play when the course isn't all that busy. Where you can play according to your own pace and rhythm. Not worrying about the group behind you (call it the "looking over your shoulder" syndrome). I also fall prey to this as well. Thinking that I'm not playing fast enough, holding up those that follow. Paying more attention with trying to play quickly, rather than focusing on trying to play well. Even when I know we're moving along with the pace the course is allowing on the day. Solo rounds played on a open, un-pressured course is very liberating. One can stand there, think for a moment or two, and tell yourself "this" is the shot I want to make. Even drop another ball and try it again if the first one was not noteworthy.

Ditch the scorecard. Don't concern yourself with that arbitrator of how well you're playing. Focus on each shot, trying to execute it as well as possible. If unacceptable, then the next shot. Play each hole unto itself. How well did I play from tee to green, keeping the ball in play. What did I do correctly or poorly. With no score involved, one can dismiss a poorly played hole and move on to the next, as it has no bearing on a totality. Initially, requires one to readjust their thinking. That score doesn't matter. I think of it in terms of 18 separate games I'm playing (obviously easier to accomplish playing solo). Think it was Ben Hogan who said, "The most important shot is the next one". Make it be a quality shot. Even if it's a perfect punch out recovery from the trees.

Ignore most all unsolicited "advice" from others in your golfing circle. What club(s) to wield, ball to use, where to hit it (i.e. stupid stuff). Meaningless falderal. They'e easy to recognize, and warrant avoidance. And only exist to ruffle our golfing feathers. (Edited to eliminate additional commentary.) One exception I make to this is with a select handful of my golfing buds. But it's rather unique. We've known one another for over 50 years. When we notice something, and the other asks, we'll offer an observation. We're all quite comfortable with one another.

Do something, make changes, find a way to hit your driver better. Struggled with hitting driver for longer than I can remember. Got fed up with hitting a 3W when I could (should) be hitting a D. Was experiencing the same issues with a 3w as the D from the tee. What was the point? Needed to learn how to improve upon my driving of the golf ball. Started with a DIY revamping my swing. Specifically trying to swing with a pronounced inside/out path on a flatter plane. And over a period of time, got my errancies under control. To the point that now, the D is one club in hand that I have a certain measure of confidence with. That I can hit the ball reasonably straight, chase it down and hit it again. Without loss and penalty by hitting the ball into the Netherlands. A good drive sets the stage for the entire hole. Regardless if one is playing form 6800 yards or 5800 yards. Makes achieving a GIR possible. Somehow learn to be confident with driver in hand. That you 'can' and 'will' swat it out there and in play. With the caveat that there are times when the D is not the correct strategic implement.

I'm a big believer in the mental aspects of playing at golf. Maybe even more so than the technical. That over thinking numerous variables becomes counter productive. We try to capture those rarefied occurrences when we enter a zone and we don't think about nuances of swing, the hitting of the ball in a direction intended. See, feel, execute. Make it happen. Repeat. With a uncluttered mind. Tension free body. And it occurs all to infrequently unfortunately. When the play becomes pure. Not in a tour pro, scratch golfer sort of way. But "pure" relative to our own abilities. And it's a very unique sensation. And the search, the anticipation with each round is to find it one more time. It may be one hole, a side, rarely an entire round. But it's out there. With every shot, have the feeling of what needs to be done. Because I've done it before. Think the key is what is going on within our heads. (If I could define and quantify this, probably could make a mint.) But it lurks within all of us that play golf. And I think it starts with simplification.

Much easier said then done. Especially when play has gone askew. Personally, I'd rather hit a wedge shot from 100 yards than a simple pitch shot from 10. Because its gotten into my head. And my head does not transmit the correct signals to the body in order to reliably execute the intended shot. And continue throw shots away all over the course. Despite some measure of practice trying to correct the problem. Cuz practice ain't play'n. Still have my fair share of golf demons that I'm constantly battling.

One last thought on the matter. An older book I read this winter past may have some merit in dealing with the mental aspects of playing at golf. Been briefing back through it lately trying to get my head right pertaining to some recent struggles. Manage expectations. Improve upon my counter productive thought processes. Dr. Bob Rotella's, "Golf Is Not a Game of Perfect". May be able to find it at the discount book stores inexpensively. Bought my copy at a 2nd and Charles bookstore, if you have any in your neighborhood. They usually carry a decent inventory of used golf books, at least the one in my area does.

My .02 commentary from the bleacher seats. An unsolicited opinion, thus violating one of tenants from above.

Edited to add based on the above posts: To those that have not experienced the enjoyment of play for far to long. May you reengage sooner rather than later, as life and all it's predicaments allows. Good, bad or indifferent. For the 'doing' is always the most important part. Not the how well.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

us another update.

Dredged up an old PM he and I used to do some chatting inside of. Send him a little "hello" note and let him know we're thinking of him. Perhaps an update from his will spring from it. No clue if he's still hoping to turn pro or not. Just hope he still gets out there one way or the other. The man had game - that much is certain. Absolutely gorgeous swing. Very humble and good nature.

From the one video I saw he had one heck of a swing and that is coming from me the non swing guru. I was hoping he would get this way because I was going to help him not with his swing but HOW to play golf. Still have a TEE left handed 3 wood head with his name on it sitting on the top shelf in the shop.

Was going to refrain from offering any commentary on your posting. Far be it from me to offer any meaningful insight, while continuing to chase my own golf predicaments and issues. I'm nothing more than a semi-aspiring hack, the plays just well enough to get by. Some of the time. But. Perhaps you may find something worth contemplating in the following.

Please always comment whenever you have a thought, IMO that is the beauty of message boards. I am a semi-aspiring hack as well, and we don't have to be pros to have some insight as to something that has helped us. If it helped us it may help someone else too. I just look at golf as a pursuit like many others, there is no one way IMO...I mean look at all of the different swings that are successful and we are all built and wired differently so I like to take all of the input I can get and try it. I keep what works and move on from what doesn't. Please always give me your thoughts on anything I say, if what I say causes you to have a thought about it.

Ditch the scorecard. Don't concern yourself with that arbitrator of how well you're playing. Focus on each shot, trying to execute it as well as possible. If unacceptable, then the next shot. Play each hole unto itself. How well did I play from tee to green, keeping the ball in play. What did I do correctly or poorly. With no score involved, one can dismiss a poorly played hole and move on to the next, as it has no bearing on a totality. Initially, requires one to readjust their thinking. That score doesn't matter. I think of it in terms of 18 separate games I'm playing (obviously easier to accomplish playing solo). Think it was Ben Hogan who said, "The most important shot is the next one". Make it be a quality shot. Even if it's a perfect punch out recovery from the trees.

This is very interesting advice. I can see this being beneficial too. I'll be honest and say that I am afraid to play like this for one reason. I am afraid my low round might come while I'm not keeping score! LOL! I do very much like the advice to play each hole as it's own entity. I do not currently do that. I will try that for sure. Again, I think this is fantastic advice, but I think I am at the point where score has to matter...for me...because that will be my only measure of global improvement. I have played almost all of my golf where score didn't matter, I've always played casual rounds, no serious stuff at all. My current main playing partner and I do like to keep tight/legit score when we play together. This is the first year in my life where I am focused on score. Mid 80s before the year's end would be great!

Do something, make changes, find a way to hit your driver better. Struggled with hitting driver for longer than I can remember. Got fed up with hitting a 3W when I could (should) be hitting a D. Was experiencing the same issues with a 3w as the D from the tee. What was the point? Needed to learn how to improve upon my driving of the golf ball. Started with a DIY revamping my swing. Specifically trying to swing with a pronounced inside/out path on a flatter plane. And over a period of time, got my errancies under control. To the point that now, the D is one club in hand that I have a certain measure of confidence with. That I can hit the ball reasonably straight, chase it down and hit it again. Without loss and penalty by hitting the ball into the Netherlands. A good drive sets the stage for the entire hole. Regardless if one is playing form 6800 yards or 5800 yards. Makes achieving a GIR possible. Somehow learn to be confident with driver in hand. That you 'can' and 'will' swat it out there and in play. With the caveat that there are times when the D is not the correct strategic implement.

There was a time when the ONLY club in my bag I was confident with was my driver. I would still say that IF I had to put a meaningful ball into play off the tee- no 8i/PW- I would pull driver. I was tweaking my current driver a lot, but I think I have settled into a full time set up. I actually received a shaft I had purchased AFTER I decided to leave my set up alone and still haven't hit it. That's huge on my part because I LOVE to try new stuff but at some point you have to dance with the one who brung ya...lol. I am fairly consistent with it and expect to be more so in the future as I won't be tinkering every other round.

An unsolicited opinion, thus violating one of tenants from above.

In my world if you post on a message board you are opening yourself up to the opinions of the world...or at least whoever frequents that particular board..lol. I love opinions.

For the 'doing' is always the most important part. Not the how well.

Agreed. "Do or do not, there is no try."- Yoda "Whether you think you can or you can't you're right."- H. Ford

Have to catch up later, on the way out shopping. Our governments brilliant internet had been out for the whole district for the past 24 hrs, some numb nut dug up the main cable when digging a ditch.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Update, seems the internet problem is solved untill the next time.

The government decided they would take control, they compulsory purchased all private infrastructure, they now sell time and bandwidth to the companies that used to own it. It was supposed to be more efficient, cheaper, faster, but half way through we changed government, the basis stayed but the system changed to a far inferior system than originally planned. When the new system is in your road, you have to use it, no exceptions. The problem is, they have now been going two years and will be another 10 years before everyone is covered, in the mean time chaos reigns.

They have put the fibre optic cables through the same conduits that were used by the old copper cable, not very deep and not very secure. There have been several mass breakdowns and it is not going to get better. Fibre optic cable cannot be repaired, the whole length had to be changed, the old copper wire could just be re joined at the break.

As usual anything they touch is disaster.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

One week from today is August, unbelievable. This has been the fastest summer I can remember, seems like the Masters was just played a couple of weeks ago, now the Open is over. What's the deal with that? What do you all have left to get done before this year is through?

Fact of life sixty. The older you are the faster time seems to pass. For me Tomorrow has already gone.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Since we were just talking short game...…….thought I'd share a short game tip I heard from Dave Stockton

on the radio. It's a shot he learned from Raymond Floyd decades ago.

He said to take whatever club you're chipping with (works best with 7i-PW) and at address lift the heel of

the iron off the ground and address the ball with the toe. Stand a little more upright with the ball closer to you.

Then swing and hit the ball with the toe. He said you will never hit a chip fat doing this. The toe will always

glide right into the ball and pop it right up.

I'm gonna have to try it. He said Raymond Floyd was the best chipper he ever played with and this is what

Raymond did.

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)