2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Since we were just talking short game...…….thought I'd share a short game tip I heard from Dave Stockton

on the radio. It's a shot he learned from Raymond Floyd decades ago.

He said to take whatever club you're chipping with (works best with 7i-PW) and at address lift the heel of

the iron off the ground and address the ball with the toe. Stand a little more upright with the ball closer to you.

Then swing and hit the ball with the toe. He said you will never hit a chip fat doing this. The toe will always

glide right into the ball and pop it right up.

I'm gonna have to try it. He said Raymond Floyd was the best chipper he ever played with and this is what

Raymond did.

I first heard of this on an old David Leadbetter VHS tape. Vintage 1980s. He called it the chip-putt. Exactly what you're saying Rad. Stand close, toe-down, heel-up, and just putt it.

Found this that seems to be in same area code as what you're describing.

Seems like that's pretty much it. Dave emphasized the point that with the heel up digging is virtually

guaranteed not to happen.

LOL, and ya no one wants to use those chippers or be caught dead with one in the bag. I wouldn't

care about that so much as I wouldn't want to waste one of my 14 spots in the bag on a chipper.

black%20eye.gif

"Numb nut" - LMAO!!!

That term always makes me bust out laughing. I can honestly say I've had a sore throat, a headache, an upset stomach, and a sprained joint.

But in this lifetime not one single nut ever once went numb! :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

I have in fact experienced a numb nut, both of them actually...

I think I was 7 or so at the time, maybe a bit older. My best friend who lived around the corner had an above ground swimming pool. You remember the type that were popular back in the day; corrugated steel side, 3-4 foot in height and 18-24 foot in diameter with a plastic liner. There was a framework that the corrugated sheet fit into and the liner was held in place with a metal or plastic piping piece that fit over top the sheet edge and attached to the frame. Most had ladders that allowed for entry/egress, but my friend's pool had a homemade platform made from a sheet of plywood that you could dive off of. You had to boost yourself up out of the pool to get on the platform and we often found ourselves walking on the piping piece which was about an inch wide and rounded. One day I slipped off that and did the splits over the pool edge! I had never felt pain like that in my life! I thought I had died. Maybe I was wishing I had died... No one could understand what had happened because all they knew was that I had gone in the pool from a standing position off the edge. I think my friend's older sister knew what happened as she was trying to console me as I bawled uncontrollably. I was the owner of a pair of numb nuts! black%20eye.gif

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Since we were just talking short game...…….thought I'd share a short game tip I heard from Dave Stockton

He said to take whatever club you're chipping with (works best with 7i-PW) and at address lift the heel of

the iron off the ground and address the ball with the toe. Stand a little more upright with the ball closer to you.

Then swing and hit the ball with the toe. He said you will never hit a chip fat doing this. The toe will always

I'm gonna have to try it. He said Raymond Floyd was the best chipper he ever played with and this is what

Raymond did.

This is the technique that I was taught a number of years ago and have used with some success. When more sophisticated techniques are failing, this is what I fall back on as it's simple and reliable. Just a single motion and you change clubs depending upon how much run-out you require. Once you get comfortable with it you assess how far you need the ball to fly versus roll and then select the club and stroke length based on those parameters. #1 son taught me this method and uses it with great success as his short game is outstanding for a player who rarely plays. Works best on chips close to the green versus those that are further afield although I do recall once using it from about 30 yards out in the fairway with a hybrid in my hands as a sort of Todd Hamilton style bump and run for a chip-in birdie.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Tol what are the "rules" to painting? What are common rookie-mistakes? There must be some things no self-respecting artist would even attempt, right? Do you pencil draw on the blank canvass or is that considered "cheating"? Any other stuff like that?

In the sport of basketball it's get's a lot of eye-rolling from fellow players/fans when a shot bounces off the back-board before dripping through the net. AKA the bank shot. It's not considered cheating but it's somehow frowned upon as compared to that "swish" that falls out of the air and touches nothing but net. The funny part about that one is, when I was a kid the "bank shot" was encouraged.

Funny how some things are considered either 'against the rules, or taking the easy way out. Heck if I could paint by numbers, I'd consider it since I can't even sketch a dog without having it look like an elephant!

Have to give that some consideration as it depends which medium you are using, water colours, acrylic and oils are completely different to use. Will get back to you soon.

Where do I begin, I suppose the biggest rookie mistake is thinking you are better than you really are, think golf, and trying to paint something that is out of your skill set. We have an amateur art galary near us and whilst there are some good works, most of it I would not use to start a fire, and that is being kind. Knowing your limitations is of prime importance. It’s also knowing what looks good as a subject, and how to set the painting on the canvas, the subject has to catch the eye, too often there are extra bits in the picture that detract from the main subject, whilst they are sometimes essential, keep in mind what the viewer is supposed to see, how you want the picture remembered.

Setting the painting out and starting the process is up for whatever you feel comfortable with, some can sketch correctly straight off, some have no idea about proportion. My wife can sketch, I cannot, so there are two methods I use.

1. I measure the subject, usually a snap shot or a conglomeration of bits you want to put together, measure the canvas, work out the mathematical proportion between the two IE, double then meticulously measure and put in on the canvas significant spots to join up for the picture. This is not cheating it is only a method of starting and it saves time. I have sketched before and half way through the painting noticed major proportion mistakes in the subject, meaning I have to make alterations.

2. My son purchased a projector for my birthday, with this I can hook up to my laptop and project the image onto my canvas, I can then sketch in the main outlines knowing then they are correct. This is also not cheating, I know a professional artist with a large clientele that uses this method.

Both of these do one thing, they give you an accurate starting point, you still have to mix the colours, and make the picture look good, if you can’t do this all the good sketches in the world will do you no good.

The fun part is making it look real, mixing the colours, and with oils understanding the process to stop the top layer of paint cracking. The main point with art though is one mans meat is another mans poison, what I like you may not like, the important part is understanding this and appreciating good stuff even if it is not your style.

We are all fussy in our house, many times we have spent weeks\months painting something to give up and cover it up with something else, we think we are OK artists and whilst that is important reality is also important, if you can’t paint you can’t paint. We all have our strengths and weaknesses, knowing them is important.

Feel free to ask anything else you would like to pursue.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

I used to have some talent at art. When I was young I could sketch fairly well. I recall in middle school sketching the portraits of a couple of girls that I fancied based off of our graduating class photo. But being a perfectionist and comparing my own works to other more advanced artists I easily noticed the difference and by the time I had left school all interest in art was behind me.

My mother was a seamstress, making all her own clothes and many for both my father and myself. She was always into the latest artistic trend. In her later years after my father passed she took up oil painting. We still have a couple of her works that I favour; one a landscape of birch trees beside a lake and the other a rural scene of an old barn and broken down fence in a fall meadow. She definitely had a talent.

I don't know whether I inherited her abilities or not, but there were definitely signs in my early years. Perhaps this is something I could pursue going forward although at this time I have no inspiration for such. I must admit that watching Bob Ross on PBS was always soothing with his simple techniques to landscape painting and the images he could create in a half hour time slot.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I used to have some talent at art. When I was young I could sketch fairly well. I recall in middle school sketching the portraits of a couple of girls that I fancied based off of our graduating class photo. But being a perfectionist and comparing my own works to other more advanced artists I easily noticed the difference and by the time I had left school all interest in art was behind me.

My mother was a seamstress, making all her own clothes and many for both my father and myself. She was always into the latest artistic trend. In her later years after my father passed she took up oil painting. We still have a couple of her works that I favour; one a landscape of birch trees beside a lake and the other a rural scene of an old barn and broken down fence in a fall meadow. She definitely had a talent.

I don't know whether I inherited her abilities or not, but there were definitely signs in my early years. Perhaps this is something I could pursue going forward although at this time I have no inspiration for such. I must admit that watching Bob Ross on PBS was always soothing with his simple techniques to landscape painting and the images he could create in a half hour time slot.

I have watched some fast artists, not my style, more the sit back and take my time person. Did not start painting seriously until about 8/10 years ago, dabbled in my 30s.

If you have the talent it never goes away, all you need is the will to sit down and try again. I was never confident with my art untill one day I finished a painting , looked at it and thought , I did that and it’s not bad. The same as golf and curling once you are hooked there is no going back. Love to see you take up art, it’s a good mind bender while your body is repairing itself.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

One week from today is August, unbelievable. This has been the fastest summer I can remember, seems like the Masters was just played a couple of weeks ago, now the Open is over. What's the deal with that? What do you all have left to get done before this year is through?

Fact of life sixty. The older you are the faster time seems to pass. For me Tomorrow has already gone.

Sorta sounds like there would be a Yogi Berra 'ism' in there, something like "I can't keep up with getting older anymore"...

One week from today is August, unbelievable. This has been the fastest summer I can remember, seems like the Masters was just played a couple of weeks ago, now the Open is over. What's the deal with that? What do you all have left to get done before this year is through?

Fact of life sixty. The older you are the faster time seems to pass. For me Tomorrow has already gone.

Sorta sounds like there would be a Yogi Berra 'ism' in there, something like "I can't keep up with getting older anymore"...

More like, I don’t want to keep up with being older anymore. Stop the clock.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Time goes faster when you're older but the good thing is you ain't older until you're older.

This one may or may not resonate across the Grille. I'll go ahead and risk it. It's about even discussing golf in any way whatsoever. It seems to so often be a brittle topic. There are very explainable reasons why.

1. In about 3 seconds per time at bat, one stroke happens. Within those three seconds, a couple of milliseconds occurs during impact. A couple of hundred bones and joint in the human body are recruited to either move or remain stable (or a little of both) in a certain order. To even try an capture that into words, much less to make it resonate for all golfers all of the time? Makes perfect sense it's all just too much to even try to unpack.

2. As Fella so well points out - that organ between our ears plays a MONSTER role. Thanks to good people like Bob Rotella, there are identifiable and concrete approaches to the mental/emotional aspects of the game. While not everyone will agree 100% to the mental side of golf anymore than they will the physical execution side, it's probably foolhardy to exclude it's vast importance Again, saying so right out loud seems at times to require courage to even speak of.

3. I call it "projecting". It's when one golfer "thinks" he has all the answers and goes into "tell mode". He has some basis for whatever the heck it is he believes. Only "idiots" would dare disagree. So it's easy to fear being the "idiot", He who thinks he might have something worth sharing fears being obliterated by the one projecting. (And IMO they'[re BOTH wrong since projecting is just as dangerous as feeling your own two-cents worth are useless).

4. The "right" to even speak of all things golf gets associated with handicap, or street cred for having passed some mythical teaching test. If you taught a pro, or paid for a famous teaching pro, then you're somehow "in the club". You can share the bond with others who "earned" the right to even speak. That one is pure baloney and we all know it. The preening of those who share that attitude are better at building walls than sharing one useful thing back and forth with other golfers and we all see that one in vivid colors. We CAN'T be intimidated to the point of shutting down just because we didn't spend two grand and two weeks bonding with a small handful of people similarly bent to build such walls. Let them have their fun - but why let it destroy our sharing???

Last one and I'll get off of this.

I absolutely HATE it when any one of us are facing issues others can't fully understand or appreciate. Be it a personal past, or health problems, or whatever the case may be. It's been vividly clear we have those walking among us present and past who can't enjoy golf as often, with the same strength and health and time and resources as happened in the past. Would give anything to make such things go away for friends here.

How about we say what we say right out loud without fear of owning the credentials to do so? Let's not be afraid of the terminology. Sure it will get us all at some point a little fouled-up with each other. But that's not a personal issue - its just part of getting from point A to point Z together and in good spirit. If one of us is ailing let's encourage that guy to keep the faith and share what HE has learned on HIS journey, The man might be hurting for now but he's NOT dead and he's learned a lot worth hearing.

Nine holes with wife is golf. Winning the club championship is golf. Swings in front of the mirror, at a rest stop on the highway, or form the memory banks... they all count. Playing alone and shooting 108 or 68 is golf.

Now, if I was all wrong here in advancing all this then color me guilty. Just trying my best here to make it known it's IMPOSSIBLE here to shoot yourself in the foot. That's what's different here.

Back to #1 above. I'll end this rant the way it started. Once those lousy three seconds of individual experience and execution begins and ends, it easily becomes a brittle and almost sensitive topic.

KEEP THE FAITH! We can go there (or not) at will. No one here is going to pee on your leg for having the courage to share your experience of it the way you experience it. Where the heck else would that be true, but right here?

We now resume our regularly scheduled programming.

:download:

Stupid sayings that didn't make it...whatsoever...

A club goes through the ball, like a thread goes through a needle, both are done with the watchful eye...

A striped drive, and a zebra are similar, in that they both run with the wind...

A ball in the drawer stays home from the course, but a ball in the pocket is used in cold weather...

Persimmon is handy, but titanium is dandy...

Play on golfer man, play on, for tomorrow it hails, or something...

Ball washers are free, but the water is sour, if you drink it you're sick, for just about 2 hours...

Sand bunkers ho, be not afraid, just blast away, see the mess that you've made...

Old clubs are good, if they're used and priced nicely...

Fresh off the roller grill at Love's Travel Stops: ghost pepper turd burgers.

I eat them for their medicinal qualities. They cure many ills. Burgers in the shape of hot dogs

so they will work in the roller grill environment; aka as designated by me; turd burgers. Spicy!

BTW, I love swing talk, putter talk, equipment talk and all other golf talk. I can do talk all day.

Well, I have to get back off my arse and back on it again and finish this run. A load of spuds

going to Reasy land in Salisbury, NC; to a place called Freshouse. I love the smell of those

fresh potatoes when I open the trailer doors to back into the unloading dock. The aroma has

built up and just jumps out when the doors are open. Yum yum.

Raymond did.

I did this for years and it works great. Toe down with a putting stroke, easy peasy.

black%20eye.gif

"Numb nut" - LMAO!!!

That term always makes me bust out laughing. I can honestly say I've had a sore throat, a headache, an upset stomach, and a sprained joint.

But in this lifetime not one single nut ever once went numb! :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

I have in fact experienced a numb nut, both of them actually...

I think I was 7 or so at the time, maybe a bit older. My best friend who lived around the corner had an above ground swimming pool. You remember the type that were popular back in the day; corrugated steel side, 3-4 foot in height and 18-24 foot in diameter with a plastic liner. There was a framework that the corrugated sheet fit into and the liner was held in place with a metal or plastic piping piece that fit over top the sheet edge and attached to the frame. Most had ladders that allowed for entry/egress, but my friend's pool had a homemade platform made from a sheet of plywood that you could dive off of. You had to boost yourself up out of the pool to get on the platform and we often found ourselves walking on the piping piece which was about an inch wide and rounded. One day I slipped off that and did the splits over the pool edge! I had never felt pain like that in my life! I thought I had died. Maybe I was wishing I had died... No one could understand what had happened because all they knew was that I had gone in the pool from a standing position off the edge. I think my friend's older sister knew what happened as she was trying to console me as I bawled uncontrollably. I was the owner of a pair of numb nuts! black%20eye.gif

HA ! That had to hurt ! I was a catcher from Little League at the age of 6,all the way thru School,and let me tell ya.....You could wear two cups and you would still hate the foul tips..umpires understood,having been there,done that ! And they would usually go talk to the other umps and give you a few

minutes to get your breath back ! Amazing how quickly all air can be lost.....and everything from your belt down went numb !

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

I think nut is referring to the head, opposite end to the tails :) in the stories. Nut job means an idiot, so presumably numb nut means a head devoid of any intelligence.

I think.

The stories of almost being castrated are funny though if a wee :) bit painful.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

This one may or may not resonate across the Grille. I'll go ahead and risk it. It's about even discussing golf in any way whatsoever. It seems to so often be a brittle topic. There are very explainable reasons why.

1. In about 3 seconds per time at bat, one stroke happens. Within those three seconds, a couple of milliseconds occurs during impact. A couple of hundred bones and joint in the human body are recruited to either move or remain stable (or a little of both) in a certain order. To even try an capture that into words, much less to make it resonate for all golfers all of the time? Makes perfect sense it's all just too much to even try to unpack.

2. As Fella so well points out - that organ between our ears plays a MONSTER role. Thanks to good people like Bob Rotella, there are identifiable and concrete approaches to the mental/emotional aspects of the game. While not everyone will agree 100% to the mental side of golf anymore than they will the physical execution side, it's probably foolhardy to exclude it's vast importance Again, saying so right out loud seems at times to require courage to even speak of.

3. I call it "projecting". It's when one golfer "thinks" he has all the answers and goes into "tell mode". He has some basis for whatever the heck it is he believes. Only "idiots" would dare disagree. So it's easy to fear being the "idiot", He who thinks he might have something worth sharing fears being obliterated by the one projecting. (And IMO they'[re BOTH wrong since projecting is just as dangerous as feeling your own two-cents worth are useless).

4. The "right" to even speak of all things golf gets associated with handicap, or street cred for having passed some mythical teaching test. If you taught a pro, or paid for a famous teaching pro, then you're somehow "in the club". You can share the bond with others who "earned" the right to even speak. That one is pure baloney and we all know it. The preening of those who share that attitude are better at building walls than sharing one useful thing back and forth with other golfers and we all see that one in vivid colors. We CAN'T be intimidated to the point of shutting down just because we didn't spend two grand and two weeks bonding with a small handful of people similarly bent to build such walls. Let them have their fun - but why let it destroy our sharing???

Last one and I'll get off of this.

I absolutely HATE it when any one of us are facing issues others can't fully understand or appreciate. Be it a personal past, or health problems, or whatever the case may be. It's been vividly clear we have those walking among us present and past who can't enjoy golf as often, with the same strength and health and time and resources as happened in the past. Would give anything to make such things go away for friends here.

How about we say what we say right out loud without fear of owning the credentials to do so? Let's not be afraid of the terminology. Sure it will get us all at some point a little fouled-up with each other. But that's not a personal issue - its just part of getting from point A to point Z together and in good spirit. If one of us is ailing let's encourage that guy to keep the faith and share what HE has learned on HIS journey, The man might be hurting for now but he's NOT dead and he's learned a lot worth hearing.

Nine holes with wife is golf. Winning the club championship is golf. Swings in front of the mirror, at a rest stop on the highway, or form the memory banks... they all count. Playing alone and shooting 108 or 68 is golf.

Now, if I was all wrong here in advancing all this then color me guilty. Just trying my best here to make it known it's IMPOSSIBLE here to shoot yourself in the foot. That's what's different here.

Back to #1 above. I'll end this rant the way it started. Once those lousy three seconds of individual experience and execution begins and ends, it easily becomes a brittle and almost sensitive topic.

KEEP THE FAITH! We can go there (or not) at will. No one here is going to pee on your leg for having the courage to share your experience of it the way you experience it. Where the heck else would that be true, but right here?

We now resume our regularly scheduled programming.

:download:

All true, the problem is not golf or art or car racing or anything else, the problem is the human race and their obsession with doing all things to perfection. If we could only accept the human frailties for what they are, we would be a much happier world.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

:

... the problem is the human race and their obsession with doing all things to perfection. If we could only accept the human frailties for what they are, we would be a much happier world.

Golf is not perfect. Can't happen beyond those rarest of rare shots. I "think" we're doing something YogI Berra once said whenever he agreed - but might have individually chosen another way of saying it.

His famous quote - "We agree differently".

Fresh off the roller grill at Love's Travel Stops: ghost pepper turd burgers.

I eat them for their medicinal qualities. They cure many ills. Burgers in the shape of hot dogs

so they will work in the roller grill environment; aka as designated by me; turd burgers. Spicy!

BTW, I love swing talk, putter talk, equipment talk and all other golf talk. I can do talk all day.

Well, I have to get back off my arse and back on it again and finish this run. A load of spuds

going to Reasy land in Salisbury, NC; to a place called Freshouse. I love the smell of those

fresh potatoes when I open the trailer doors to back into the unloading dock. The aroma has

built up and just jumps out when the doors are open. Yum yum.

Recalling the college cafeteria days. Wire mesh hamburgers. Mystery meat. Snot-luck stew. Bio Lab Jello. We were hungry and would have eaten cardboard if it had a little ketchup and salt on it. We poked fun at it but we were hauling it down like it was our last meal.

Can't say they ever served a turd burger the way you describe it. It must be edible or you wouldn't have gone there. Let us know if it backfires in Beaumont! LOL.

Actors, Radio and TV personalities famously have a "stage name".

Boomer Von Cannon here with the latest news, weather, and traffic updates."

NASCAR racing drivers - very often the same. It's possible but I have doubts a driver was born and named "Lake Speed".

What might be a good cheesy name for a golfer who wanted a stage name?

NASCAR racing drivers - very often the same. It's possible but I have doubts a driver was born and named "Lake Speed".

Tiger Woods? Eldrick Woods probably couldn't break 90.

TV news article about this young man, he has made a S*** load of money off this idea. A true blue Aussie.

https://tendaily.com.au/news/a180727xrv/meet-the-7-year-old-literally-selling-fair-dinkum-aussie-bull-s***-20180727

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

NEVER leave me in here by myself. Very bad things will ensue.

RBC in Canada underway. Spooky likes Rush (also Canadian). We've been discussing how time slips away.

So from their song The Garden

In this one of many possible worlds, all for the best, or some bizarre test?

It is what it is - and whatever

Time is still the infinite jest

The arrow files when you dream, the hours tick away - the cells tick away

The Watchmaker keeps to his schemes

The hours tick away - they tick away

The measure of a life is a measure of love and respect

So hard to earn, so easily burned

In the fullness of time

A garden to nurture and protect

In the rise and the set of the sun

'Til the stars go spinning - spinning 'round the night

It is what it is - and forever

Each moment a memory in flight

The arrow flies while you breathe, the hours tick away - the cells tick away

The Watchmaker has time up his sleeve

The hours tick away - they tick away

The treasure of a life is a measure of love and respect

The way you live, the gifts that you give

In the fullness of time

It's the only return that you expect

The future disappears into memory

With only a moment between

Forever dwells in that moment

Hope is what remains to be seen,

Bomb N. Gouge ;)

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)