Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

The one I enjoy hearing golf announcers comment on is Aim-Point putting.

Some of them are really good with it and understand it. (I recall Sixty for one studied it and applied it.) But then the next announcer comes along and he's clearly baffled by it all. It's one or the other from these guys. And when one doesn't have a clue he just OWNS that he's totally lost when a golfer starts holding up fingers and such.

It's a hoot!

"I don't know what all this stuff is... there's a finger...d'oh! Make that two fingers. I wonder if there's such a thing as a finger and a half? I don't get it. I'm glazing over here. Just hit the damn ball! Back to you Johnny!"

Few things cause the talking heads to voice total confusion and approval in the same broadcast about the same golfer.

I never thought I'd have a hard time buying golf balls here lol. In reality I don't, but off base prices are a good 10 bucks more per dozen than in the states. On top of that, the choices on base are limited. Pretty much Pro V1s of course, Bridgestones, and Callaways. None on sale either, so full retail!!! Like who does that? Who actually pays full retail...

Anyways, I bought a trial pack of Snell balls and got to practice with them yesterday. I'm not sure which one I like more, the red or black. I putted, chipped, and hit pitch shots to get an idea of which one I liked more. Chip shots don't really spin much at all, so there was no measurable difference there. the Pitch shots weren't on an actual green either, so I couldn't accuratly guage which ones stopped vs which ones would roll more. I played B330S before and loved how the stopped on the green, so I'm thinking the red is the best choice. I still need to play a game to find out lol.

Either way, any one played Snell balls? What were your thoughts?

I have some recollection of attempting to use Aimpoint, but I could never get onto it. All I really remember about it was watching a series of videos that were supposed to explain what to do and then attempting to use fingers to measure slope off, but the details are very fuzzy now. Perhaps it's something I need to revisit because putting has never been a strong suit, but then again, if it really resonated with me I'm sure I would have stuck with it. :huh:

I figure at this point I have enough to worry about as I attempt to rejig a swing. The putting will just have to wait for another day. Now where did that distance chart go about how far you should hit your clubs based on swing speed? It makes an appearance every so often. I need some sort of guideline as to which club to pull...

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I have some recollection of attempting to use Aimpoint, but I could never get onto it. All I really remember about it was watching a series of videos that were supposed to explain what to do and then attempting to use fingers to measure slope off, but the details are very fuzzy now. Perhaps it's something I need to revisit because putting has never been a strong suit, but then again, if it really resonated with me I'm sure I would have stuck with it. :huh:

I figure at this point I have enough to worry about as I attempt to rejig a swing. The putting will just have to wait for another day. Now where did that distance chart go about how far you should hit your clubs based on swing speed? It makes an appearance every so often. I need some sort of guideline as to which club to pull...

http://www.golfwrx.c...our-golf-clubs/

Worthwhile info on the Sure-Fit hosel adjustments. Next time I hit the range, may take the adapter wrench along to do some experimentation. However, after I picked up the 910, went once to the range with it to dial it in. Went one click draw bias and started hitting nasty hooks. Puzzling, it was only one step. Set it back to neutral, -.75* and left it there. Don't have the chart in front of me, so can't remember what the config was/is.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Was reading about iron lie angles here at WRX earlier. I think I fuss too much over lie angles

with irons. I have played fine with lie angles from 1 up to 1 flat from Ping standard. I'm going

to stop being concerned about it and just hit the dam ball.

Really really really...……..I have all my equipment tuned in for me.....all of it. This is what happens

when you don't play; you obsess over equipment for something to do......or buy hundreds of pairs

of golf shorts, etc.

A prudent conclusion Conrad. IMHO, lie angles are down the list of items to be concerned about with a DIY fitting. As long as they're within a preferable range based on swing, height, etc. Not radically to upright nor to flat. We adapt to +/- a couple of degrees fairly easily. Furthermore, if one checks divots, watches ball flights, you'll get a sense of whether a lie modification is necessary. Ball don't lie. In my case, hard to draw conclusions when a iron shot is pulled left, and the next is pushed right. That's all swing related, as most all missed shots are. Not, "Oh snap, I missed that one because my lie angle was off 1*."

Been hitting the ball directionally rather well of late with the Hogans. Have no idea what the lie angles are. Something resembling standard I assume. Might take them to a bender one of these days, when I get around to it. Get them checked out, need to weaken the 6 iron (Apex Plus) loft a bit to blend with the 7 iron better. But for now, I'm 'respecting the streak' and leaving well enough alone.

I never thought I'd have a hard time buying golf balls here lol. In reality I don't, but off base prices are a good 10 bucks more per dozen than in the states. On top of that, the choices on base are limited. Pretty much Pro V1s of course, Bridgestones, and Callaways. None on sale either, so full retail!!! Like who does that? Who actually pays full retail...

Anyways, I bought a trial pack of Snell balls and got to practice with them yesterday. I'm not sure which one I like more, the red or black. I putted, chipped, and hit pitch shots to get an idea of which one I liked more. Chip shots don't really spin much at all, so there was no measurable difference there. the Pitch shots weren't on an actual green either, so I couldn't accuratly guage which ones stopped vs which ones would roll more. I played B330S before and loved how the stopped on the green, so I'm thinking the red is the best choice. I still need to play a game to find out lol.

I'm not versed in ball lingo to parse the differences between one ball vs. another. Comes down to whether a ball performs reasonably well for my modest swing speeds and game capabilities. How does it feel while putting? Does it hold the green half way decently when throwing in a wedge shot. Is it on the softer side without being to soft (i.e a certain feel)? Do I obtain respectable distances off the tee? Preferred balls are rather individualistic.

WTS. Snells are excellent balls, highly recommended. And at $31.00 per, a great value in a premium urethane ball. They check all the boxes that I mentioned above. My experience heretofore has been with the original MTB. Not the newest versions. Probably would go with the Black, based on the marketing info. Maybe try a starter pack to see if there is much of a difference between the two before ordering in some.

Plays very much like my preferred Wilson FG Tours (that I stockpiled in several dozen last year at a ridiculously good price.) Not a big fan of Pro V's for some reason. And especially not at $46.00 per, or any premium ball at that price point. I think Snell's are as good as any premium ball out there at a $15 per dozen less. If you have access to them, would definitely give them a try.

In other ball news. Have now found a couple of K-Sigs in the wild. Been trying them some. There OK. Seem to be a bit shorter in driver distance than the Wilson FG's. See to mark up quite easily . Nothing special IMO other than they're cheap if you can find them at Costco. I've not gone out of my way to purchase any.

http://www.golfwrx.c...our-golf-clubs/

Worthwhile info on the Sure-Fit hosel adjustments. Next time I hit the range, may take the adapter wrench along to do some experimentation. However, after I picked up the 910, went once to the range with it to dial it in. Went one click draw bias and started hitting nasty hooks. Puzzling, it was only one step. Set it back to neutral, -.75* and left it there. Don't have the chart in front of me, so can't remember what the config was/is.

Thanks for the link. That's the article I was looking for.

Regarding the Sure-Fit setting; in order to visually match up to my old TM driver I'm currently sitting at C4 which is 0.5° closed and -0.75° flat (57.75° lie angle). There is a reason why Titleist offers the heads in three lofts -- 9.0°/10.5°/12.0° -- it's because you really aren't changing loft without manipulating the head in your hands. Anyone can do that without a tool. It's called opening and closing the face of the club. Which brings me to another point: How is it that closing the face results in more loft? It doesn't work like that with a wedge in your hands. It's defying physics. Everything is dependent upon the golfer manipulating the clubface in their hands to get the desired results. I'm not sure that's wise and may explain why so many folks struggle with adjustable drivers. But hey, they can build it and it saves production costs as well as giving you a marketing angle. You have to be fit in order to get it to work because you really don't know what you're doing and why. Even though the literature says that if you slice the ball you will be 100% A3 which is max face closed, max upright. Yet if you have a tendency to come across the face of the ball from outside in, all you're going to do is make the problem worse! There, they just sold you lessons too! :rolleyes: At any rate, all I'm going to attempt to do at this point is recreate conditions where I had success and see if it's transferable across tech, at least that's my thinking on this.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Oh my Sixty, you are close. I be very afraid to be in that close of proximity, would be over there all the time. Buying stuff. But it would be convenient. Buy from GW with regularity. Tools, tape, grips, etc. Good products, excellent CS, good people to do business with. Currently waiting for them to offer another free shipping promo so can order in some things needed.

Think I'm going to go ahead and buy the rest of the Maltby TE forged iron heads to finish a set (6 - GW). Been demoing the 7 iron this year. Since I'm jettisoning the i20's, need to have a set of GI CB irons on hand for a fall back position if and when the Hogans MB's take a turn south. Not comfortable with living on the edge, with no safety net. And for when I reshaft them in a couple of years to senior graphites, my future "old man" clubs. Building up a slush fund of cash by selling off stuff, getting itchy to spend it on something.

Sco, was twirling the dials on mine in hopes it would unlock another 20 yards of carry. Haven't discovered that setting yet. :taunt:

Yeah, these new fangled drivers. So many settings and adjustments. Would get lost in trying to figure out just where the proper "dial in" is at. If it actually exists in the first place.

Remain something of a Luddite when it comes to all this driver adjustability business. My theory. Make no adjustments, learn to make better swings. IDK.

Sco, was twirling the dials on mine in hopes it would unlock another 20 yards of carry. Haven't discovered that setting yet. :taunt:

Yeah, these new fangled drivers. So many settings and adjustments. Would get lost in trying to figure out just where the proper "dial in" is at. If it actually exists in the first place.

Remain something of a Luddite when it comes to all this driver adjustability business. My theory. Make no adjustments, learn to make better swings. IDK.

You and me both, but having said that I was just on the Titleist web site going over their shaft fitting chart and that damned thing I've got should work! It's mid launch, mid-high spin with lots of torque, but a stiff tip. When paired with a 12° head it should be perfect for a low launch, low spin, low SS player like myself. Therefore the magic must be in those dials! I don't see any advantage in changing shafts, so I'm just going to keep plugging away with it until I get it to work to my satisfaction.

I can assure you of one thing; no matter what, it goes a helluva lot farther than I can hit my PowerBilt Citation persimmon driver! Damn that thing's a load! A little perspective never hurt anyone. ;)

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Well guys, we had the most beautiful rainbow this morning that I've ever seen in my life. Wish I was a nature photographer, and I was off work today, I would have captured it if I could from some great country setting instead of riding down to the last turn before work with my friend who was driving. The conditions were perfect, rainstorm brewing from the west, bright sun from the east rising, us in the middle. The pot in the middle was eventually the parking lot at work, so there was no gold anywhere, except a good job... This was an entire arc, completely across, and as you can see it was a double rainbow as well.. enjoy

Very nice double rainbow pic there Sixty! I can never get them to look quite as brilliant as they are live and in person. Camera just doesn't quite get it for some reason.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

Well guys, we had the most beautiful rainbow this morning that I've ever seen in my life. Wish I was a nature photographer, and I was off work today, I would have captured it if I could from some great country setting instead of riding down to the last turn before work with my friend who was driving. The conditions were perfect, rainstorm brewing from the west, bright sun from the east rising, us in the middle. The pot in the middle was eventually the parking lot at work, so there was no gold anywhere, except a good job... This was an entire arc, completely across, and as you can see it was a double rainbow as well.. enjoy

Very nice double rainbow pic there Sixty! I can never get them to look quite as brilliant as they are live and in person. Camera just doesn't quite get it for some reason.

They never do look quite the same on camera, so you aren't the only one scotee. I've pretty much given up on photographing them although DW is still game. I figured I got the shot of a lifetime way back in 1980 of a rainbow over the bombed out hulk of an Abbey on the Wye River in Wales when I was there in my 20's. I have no idea where those pics are so I can't even scan it. They may have been pitched... :(

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Was reading about iron lie angles here at WRX earlier. I think I fuss too much over lie angles

with irons. I have played fine with lie angles from 1 up to 1 flat from Ping standard. I'm going

Really really really...……..I have all my equipment tuned in for me.....all of it. This is what happens

when you don't play; you obsess over equipment for something to do......or buy hundreds of pairs

of golf shorts, etc.

A prudent conclusion Conrad. IMHO, lie angles are down the list of items to be concerned about with a DIY fitting. As long as they're within a preferable range based on swing, height, etc. Not radically to upright nor to flat. We adapt to +/- a couple of degrees fairly easily. Furthermore, if one checks divots, watches ball flights, you'll get a sense of whether a lie modification is necessary. Ball don't lie. In my case, hard to draw conclusions when a iron shot is pulled left, and the next is pushed right. That's all swing related, as most all missed shots are. Not, "Oh snap, I missed that one because my lie angle was off 1*."

Been hitting the ball directionally rather well of late with the Hogans. Have no idea what the lie angles are. Something resembling standard I assume. Might take them to a bender one of these days, when I get around to it. Get them checked out, need to weaken the 6 iron (Apex Plus) loft a bit to blend with the 7 iron better. But for now, I'm 'respecting the streak' and leaving well enough alone.

Just one man's opine here. If your divots are consistently deeper on the toe or the heel side, it's time to either fix the swing or adjust the sticks to work with the swing you have.

Won't harp (again) on D-plane and other yaddas. I'm a simple man at the end of the day and for me, either there is or isn't a pattern of divot shapes (or dark little scuff marks on the turf for the pickers).

I'm wrong a lot but from my seat Fella is all over it when he says - "The ball don't lie". Between ball flights and divot shapes, some sort of pattern normally emerges and the need to adjust isn't there if it isn't there... OR... it very clearly is. I don''t personally think lie angle adjustments make us perfect so much as they narrow the dispersion of misses...for some folks....a lot.

Speaking of Eagle Eye....Allow the Judge to swerve here to the topic of our eyes.

So many back in the day thought David Duvall and his wrap-around odd shaped sunglasses was just plain cocky... a form of "swag" that got more than a few folks riding high on the opinion horse. Was it really? Was he maybe a little ahead of his time?

Today, it's very common to see golfers out there both amateur and pro tossing on the sunscreen AND thinking a little more about their peepers.

Sorry about the dead horse and selfish post thing, but one more time... I have a HUGE blind spot at about 8 o'clock in the left (lead) eye from a high school injury (detached retina - badly). Actually all God's Chillun have this same blind spot in the same place but mine is BIG. And I suffer cataracts in both eyes but really bad (legally blind) in the other right eye. Yes, cataracts can be fixed. And for a number of reasons I won't outline here, that hasn't happened yet.

Anywho - I don't see very well. Depth perception is shot. Can't sense the difference between a 12' putt and an 18 footer. I frequently lose the ball in flight from the tee box or during approach shots. (Strange feeling to look up in the sky and there's nothing there at all.) Ergo I rely on playing partners to tell me where it went very often. I have to "feel" if it was a good strike and sense if the body made a good motion - or not. Hitting fat/thin shots "can" be born of not sensing how far it is to the ground. I rely on setup, the motion, spine angle to control that one. I see the ball down there but lack the simple deep sense of how far it is from me. (It's called binocular vision for the curious - something we all naturally have when the eyes are working pretty well.)

Back on point here - sunglasses would not have prevented my HS injury, and I doubt my cataracts would have been cancelled out entirely with them either.

What say the Grille patrons about wearing UV blocking shades out there on and off the course? Too much PIA? They slide down the nose too much? End up loosing them? Play better without them? Or are they a routine part of your gear?

I'm not versed in ball lingo to parse the differences between one ball vs. another. Comes down to whether a ball performs reasonably well for my modest swing speeds and game capabilities. How does it feel while putting? Does it hold the green half way decently when throwing in a wedge shot. Is it on the softer side without being to soft (i.e a certain feel)? Do I obtain respectable distances off the tee? Preferred balls are rather individualistic.

WTS. Snells are excellent balls, highly recommended. And at $31.00 per, a great value in a premium urethane ball. They check all the boxes that I mentioned above. My experience heretofore has been with the original MTB. Not the newest versions. Probably would go with the Black, based on the marketing info. Maybe try a starter pack to see if there is much of a difference between the two before ordering in some.

Plays very much like my preferred Wilson FG Tours (that I stockpiled in several dozen last year at a ridiculously good price.) Not a big fan of Pro V's for some reason. And especially not at $46.00 per, or any premium ball at that price point. I think Snell's are as good as any premium ball out there at a $15 per dozen less. If you have access to them, would definitely give them a try.

In other ball news. Have now found a couple of K-Sigs in the wild. Been trying them some. There OK. Seem to be a bit shorter in driver distance than the Wilson FG's. See to mark up quite easily . Nothing special IMO other than they're cheap if you can find them at Costco. I've not gone out of my way to purchase any.

I still like the ProV1 but I'm with you Fella, not at that retail price! I used to get them from a local shop that had brand new logo overruns that he sold for 28 bucks a doz. Titleist did not like him selling them at that price and cut him off. I also like the Master Grip C-4 They are available online for $20/doz. I cannot tell a difference compared to the ProV. Stu said he likes them too.

I have a good supply of the Kirkland balls and for the money they are perfect for me. The Ksig4's bruise up like any Urethane covered ball but that's a trade off I will take for something that stops so well. They feel a little harder than the ProV, very much like the V-1x. The Ksig3 feels almost as soft as a Chrome Soft. It stops almost as well as the K-4 and they are both as long as any ball for me. The only downside is the limited availability. If I could buy them in store I wouldn't look at anything else.

I would like to try the Snells but I need to use up some of the stuff that I have. I have a bunch of Wilson Duo and Precept Lady IQ that I use for soggy and cold winter play when I don't need spin.

I gave some K-3's to my SOL who plays lots of tournament golf and plays Chrome Soft. He could not tell a difference but would not play a Costco ball. He called me and said he had to laugh when in his last tournament his opponent showed him his ball on the first tee. it was a Kirkland :) and the guy was quite a player.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Speaking of Eagle Eye....Allow the Judge to swerve here to the topic of our eyes.

So many back in the day thought David Duvall and his wrap-around odd shaped sunglasses was just plain cocky... a form of "swag" that got more than a few folks riding high on the opinion horse. Was it really? Was he maybe a little ahead of his time?

Today, it's very common to see golfers out there both amateur and pro tossing on the sunscreen AND thinking a little more about their peepers.

Sorry about the dead horse and selfish post thing, but one more time... I have a HUGE blind spot at about 8 o'clock in the left (lead) eye from a high school injury (detached retina - badly). Actually all God's Chillun have this same blind spot in the same place but mine is BIG. And I suffer cataracts in both eyes but really bad (legally blind) in the other right eye. Yes, cataracts can be fixed. And for a number of reasons I won't outline here, that hasn't happened yet.

Anywho - I don't see very well. Depth perception is shot. Can't sense the difference between a 12' putt and an 18 footer. I frequently lose the ball in flight from the tee box or during approach shots. (Strange feeling to look up in the sky and there's nothing there at all.) Ergo I rely on playing partners to tell me where it went very often. I have to "feel" if it was a good strike and sense if the body made a good motion - or not. Hitting fat/thin shots "can" be born of not sensing how far it is to the ground. I rely on setup, the motion, spine angle to control that one. I see the ball down there but lack the simple deep sense of how far it is from me. (It's called binocular vision for the curious - something we all naturally have when the eyes are working pretty well.)

Back on point here - sunglasses would not have prevented my HS injury, and I doubt my cataracts would have been cancelled out entirely with them either.

What say the Grille patrons about wearing UV blocking shades out there on and off the course? Too much PIA? They slide down the nose too much? End up loosing them? Play better without them? Or are they a routine part of your gear?

I have been trying to wear the shades when I play. I don't like to because of all the things you said but my eye Doc says I have early cataracts and told me to wear them. But yes the sweat, the fog, losing and scratching them all that is a PITA.

Sorry about your vision! No wonder you have sympathy for my daughter. She will have another surgery in July. Hope this world renowned retina specialist can help her. It has really dragged on too long :(

I have recently had some big Word not allowed floaters that are really bugging me. Like a big fly or bug that I chase across my vision but can't quite find.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

I still like the ProV1 but I'm with you Fella, not at that retail price! I used to get them from a local shop that had brand new logo overruns that he sold for 28 bucks a doz. Titleist did not like him selling them at that price and cut him off. I also like the Master Grip C-4 They are available online for $20/doz. I cannot tell a difference compared to the ProV. Stu said he likes them too.

I have a good supply of the Kirkland balls and for the money they are perfect for me. The Ksig4's bruise up like any Urethane covered ball but that's a trade off I will take for something that stops so well. They feel a little harder than the ProV, very much like the V-1x. The Ksig3 feels almost as soft as a Chrome Soft. It stops almost as well as the K-4 and they are both as long as any ball for me. The only downside is the limited availability. If I could buy them in store I wouldn't look at anything else.

I would like to try the Snells but I need to use up some of the stuff that I have. I have a bunch of Wilson Duo and Precept Lady IQ that I use for soggy and cold winter play when I don't need spin.

I gave some K-3's to my SOL who plays lots of tournament golf and plays Chrome Soft. He could not tell a difference but would not play a Costco ball. He called me and said he had to laugh when in his last tournament his opponent showed him his ball on the first tee. it was a Kirkland :) and the guy was quite a player.

Fathers Day, Birthday, X.mas... what family I have all know I'm a golf freak. So they stock me up with golf balls that generally outlast my ability to lose them - lol.

The place Sonny Boy and I played Sunday... It's the craziest thing. You can park, take a short walk to a certain line of hedges behind which it's easy to find enough Pro Vs, Chrome Softs, you-name-it balls that look to have been hit once. So when/if I'm running low I just take a five minute walk at that place and stock-up! It's a gold mine.

Which ball preferred? Here's all I know inside my game. Any ball stored in freezing temps seems 'dead' to me. Pro Vs and Chrome Soft first and foremost when reaching for a ball in the bag. The dirty little secret is, back when I was at my absolute best (get this), I played a ball no longer made - it was the Strata which as I recall actually had a balata cover! Could make that thing work high, low, left, or right back in the day.

The good news about today's ball is it goes farther and generally a little straighter. The bad news (IMO) is that it takes a more exaggerated effort to work the ball and once you pass that tipping point of overdoing it - she flies a mile - out of bounds! lol. Kind of a trade-off. Then again I'm not the golfer I once was so like you guys - I play on anyway with a decent ball that hopefully hasn't seen freezing temps.

Have (for a long time) been able to stop a ball on the greens reasonably well. Have SOMETIMES been able to back one up a few feet. When the greens are right, the slope is right, the wind is right, the lie is rightt, have SOMETIMES been able to back a ball up right off the green. BUT - this golfer is not the guy who routinely fights having it suck back on a string every time up like a pro. Ball and pitch mark are often close to each other but there's no way I could honestly claim to be the golfer (regardless of the ball) who yanks them backwwards on a string over and over again. Heck I don't even know golfers who struggle to take spin off of their approach shots at that level. Maybe Stu would be among the rare ones who really has to watch out for that one (I think).

of golf shorts, etc.

Just one man's opine here. If your divots are consistently deeper on the toe or the heel side, it's time to either fix the swing or adjust the sticks to work with the swing you have.

Won't harp (again) on D-plane and other yaddas. I'm a simple man at the end of the day and for me, either there is or isn't a pattern of divot shapes (or dark little scuff marks on the turf for the pickers).

I'm wrong a lot but from my seat Fella is all over it when he says - "The ball don't lie". Between ball flights and divot shapes, some sort of pattern normally emerges and the need to adjust isn't there if it isn't there... OR... it very clearly is. I don''t personally think lie angle adjustments make us perfect so much as they narrow the dispersion of misses...for some folks....a lot.

That is a good question! I sometimes get steep on wedges from a tight wet lie and notice a toe deep divot. When I have put electrical tape on the sole and hit off of a lie board they are fine. I did have a set of irons that were 1/2 inch shorter and 2 deg. upright that I hit very well. So do I go get some compensation or learn to hit with lower hands? IDK.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

of golf shorts, etc.

That is a good question! I sometimes get steep on wedges from a tight wet lie and notice a toe deep divot. When I have put electrical tape on the sole and hit off of a lie board they are fine. I did have a set of irons that were 1/2 inch shorter and 2 deg. upright that I hit very well. So do I go get some compensation or learn to hit with lower hands? IDK.

Toe divots do tend to show up more (from what I've seen) more often with wedges. So do the shanks for that matter. As does the pulled shot.

I "think" we all tend do some good and some not-so-good things with the shorter clubs. It's very tempting to "see" the ball position more in the middle of the stance at address - take a shorter backswing - setup with the shoulders too open - yadda. It then becomes so easy to set the wrists very aggressively during the initial takeaway, feel that shorter backswing needs a steep downward rip at it, and end up chucking that clubhead really hard to the pull side with the handle too high at impact. Turning the mass becomes flip the handle in a heartbeat.

What I "think" and what I can do about it 100% of the time are two different realities - LMAO.

One more and I'll step back and listen. This talk of wedges and typical ball flights and misses has my juices flowing!

Don't know if this one is shared or more about me just being me and dealing with my own tendencies....

To get a wedge shot up higher and land softly with less roll-out, for me the keys are: Don't really lean the handle too forward at address, so I set the ball a little forward. Hands maybe a little lower and stand a little more open. I envision a release where the clubface is pointing skyward halfway up in the follow-through after impact. And from THAT point on, I like to let the shaft stand up and THEN fully uncock the wrists.

This is in contrast to the lower flighted wedge with forward shaft lean at setup as well as impact where the ball is compressed. The hands and handle stay ahead of the ball, The shaft never really stands up vertically like the high flyer. So its really the relase that makes the difference.

Here's the little problem (for me personally)... when I "lag" the clubhead in the downswing and freely unhinge them through the release with those so often talked about "oily" wrists from the top down.. I also tend to "throw" the toe past the heel through impact. When I do, so much for the clubface pointing skyward and standing the shaft up in the follow through for the high shot. It comes out compressed and low... the opposite of what I was going for. Don't know why my pea brain sometimes turns a high floater into a low stinger. Something inside the whole simplicity of a higher softer shot becomes a lower bullet. Oddly, the door doesn't swing the other way for me personally. I've never attempted to flight one down and ended up with a lob shot. Can't fully pin down why I'm wired this way.

YES on the sunglasses..Oakleys...... brown lens not as a fashion statement...but simply because they work...protects the eyes and sharper

contrast in colors for this old fart.

Scotee, I know what you mean about the floaters. Nothing blocking yet...but they can be irritating at times. Doc says they are a minor

issue and my eyes are still almost 20/20.....

The taking them on/off at times becomes a hassle...have lost one pair.....so I pay close attention to them now ! Some of the glasses don't

handle being cleaned with beer too well...so I don't try that anymore. And I found out that dry wiping them with paper towels is pretty much a

BIG no-no....lol...

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Sun Glasses on the Course

Yes, although I only wear them if it's bright and glaring. I have prescription SG with progressive lens, so I see exactly the same with those as I do with my regular glasses. Tried a pair of golfing specific single vision sun glasses and they were a bust as I couldn't read anything and found distance only vision wasn't quite acute enough to read greens and putt. I can sympathize with those who have poor vision how that impacts their ability to make consistent contact.

Lie Angles

My i25's were the first set of irons that I was fit for and the first set with upright lie angles. As others have said you can adapt to most anything within reason with a case in point being my BeCu vintage irons being at least 2° flatter than the Pings which made them a bit of a test when switching back and forth. The current reality is that I need to stand more upright to calm my back so upright it is and I've been attempting to extend that throughout the bag to achieve a more consistent result.

Golf Balls

I have no particular horse in this race as I generally go for whatever is cheap. For a long time I used Wilson Staff with the ZIP ball and then moving over to the Elite 50. I've tried some of the other brands that get recommended but rarely stuck with anyone in particular as I didn't find them to be better than what I had been using, so unless I could get a deal they would end up being a one and done. I have used a number of various Callaway balls with the hex dimples and found then quite good, but I was always having to mark my balls which wasn't necessary with WS. Currently I'm working my way through 6 doz. Noodle Long and Soft that I bough two off seasons ago for cheap! I'm about half through those and then bought a double dozen of the Bridgestone e5 to try as they are a higher spin ball that might work for me. I have yet to hit a shot with one of those to offer an opinion. Strangely enough, I collect and clean up all Titleists that I find and use these in my practice bucket of which I have about 3 doz. to use for short game and putting practice.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I'm out of touch with the new ball releases since I haven't been playing. Still pretty well stocked up

on 1st gen Chrome Softs, Super Softs, 2nd gen B330RXS and quite a few ProV1X bought at lost

golf balls several years ago. I've kept them all in the house so I'm sure they're all still good.

When I finally run out of all those I'll check out the newer balls. Lots of boutique balls out there

these days at good prices. The best deals I used to find on tour balls were on the ZStars. Those

seemed like they were always on sale for great prices. I haven't played a Srixon ball though in

many years now. Compared to the others, at the time, the Srixons were always a better deal.

But, times have changed and now there is much more to choose from.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

One more and I'll step back and listen. This talk of wedges and typical ball flights and misses has my juices flowing!

Don't know if this one is shared or more about me just being me and dealing with my own tendencies....

To get a wedge shot up higher and land softly with less roll-out, for me the keys are: Don't really lean the handle too forward at address, so I set the ball a little forward. Hands maybe a little lower and stand a little more open. I envision a release where the clubface is pointing skyward halfway up in the follow-through after impact. And from THAT point on, I like to let the shaft stand up and THEN fully uncock the wrists.

This is in contrast to the lower flighted wedge with forward shaft lean at setup as well as impact where the ball is compressed. The hands and handle stay ahead of the ball, The shaft never really stands up vertically like the high flyer. So its really the relase that makes the difference.

Here's the little problem (for me personally)... when I "lag" the clubhead in the downswing and freely unhinge them through the release with those so often talked about "oily" wrists from the top down.. I also tend to "throw" the toe past the heel through impact. When I do, so much for the clubface pointing skyward and standing the shaft up in the follow through for the high shot. It comes out compressed and low... the opposite of what I was going for. Don't know why my pea brain sometimes turns a high floater into a low stinger. Something inside the whole simplicity of a higher softer shot becomes a lower bullet. Oddly, the door doesn't swing the other way for me personally. I've never attempted to flight one down and ended up with a lob shot. Can't fully pin down why I'm wired this way.

Good wedge stuff Reasey! Besides toe deep divots I also struggle with too much forward shaft lean. I think this comes from my absolute hate for any kind of flipping. I have one of Martin Chucks tour striker 7 irons where you must have forward shaft lean at impact to hit the ball. I have Clampett’s book which emphasizes the importance of forward shaft lean and ball first / divot after contact. Having taken the whole bottle of medicine has led me to set up with handle ahead. I once read that you cannot hit it fat if you have hands ahead at impact so I got in the habit of pre-setting that condition. I have talked with Martin Chuck and know that he prefers a more neutral set up and that the hands ahead thing happens dynamically. But……. I still fight that in my set up which I think is causing my leading edge to grab and chunk chips and less than full wedges. I have learned to hit little shots using the bounce and can even hit those from the green without taking a divot but I can never figure out what yardage to change to using the leading edge and taking a divot. I have also looked at Monte Scheinblum’s short game stuff. I had a practice session on a very tight firm practice area where I did his “keep the right arm moving” and unlock the wrists early thing. That day I hit some of the best short wedges ever using the bounce even though it felt like flipping to me. On the course tension creeps in and I cannot duplicate that feel or results. So your wedge talk about the more vertical shaft at impact is speaking to me. HELP! Should I be a handle dragger or a flipper?

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Played nine this past Sunday, was playing alone and had made sure to find a gap in the day so I wouldn't get caught between several groups. I'm a high-capper, trending down but not there yet...I'm also very aware that my game stinks, so I do get nervous playing with strangers or even worse the dreaded- "Play through." The week before I had shot 46 on the same nine- actually played better than that as I gave a few strokes away trying to force a wedge around the green when a putter would have been a smarter option but I digress.

So I'm not striking my irons well this particular day not having the same type of nine I had the week before, when I run into a foursome on #6. I was playing pretty quick so I decided to slow up a bit- no one behind me- and let these guys have some room. They were teeing off on 7 as I was approaching the green on 6 so I figured they'd be gone by the time I got to the tee. Wrong. So I take my time getting into the tee box and they wave me down. To make matters worse they get in their carts and pull way over to the right....little do they know that even though my driver miss is left, I am VERY adept at hitting into groups of people on accident. My ball literally turn into a heat seeking missile and heads straight into groups of people. So now Im thinking "don't hit them, don't hit them..." And I yank it dead left.

The guys are having a bit of a chuckle...I was too...but they were kind enough to point out where my errant shot came to rest. Not a good spot, dead left other side of the cart path right at the edge of the woods slightly under a bush, but I can get a club on it, I think.? One guy has walked over to make sure I see the ball- very nice of him. I make the joke that I went left so i didn't hit them..lol...he laughs and the two carts drive over.

Now I have just hit a bad tee shot, things aren't looking good for my second shot and i have four people in semi-close proximity waiting to see what happens next. The hole was a dogleg left par 5. So my plan is to draw my second shot around the trees at the corner, I take a 6 iron and do just that. I hear a couple of "nice shot dude"....I thank them and drive off just happy that I got clean ball contact with a crowd watching..lol.

Next shot 9i onto the green, 6-8' putt left for birdie....struck the putt..tweet-tweet. And I drive to the next hole feeling like I actually can play golf- except for that tee shot..lol. And then promptly double bogey a par 3. Sigh.

My game, or lack thereof can be summed up with the phrase "consistently inconsistent".

MY golf buds here in Bama call that a PBFU. You can guess what that is, lol. Nice birdie Spooky!

You know, Justin Thomas said something last year that hit home with me...…...paraphrasing.....

"I thought I had to play my best or near perfect golf to win out here and I kept trying to be perfect

and it wasn't working. Then it dawned on me it ain't about that or how it looks, it's just getting

around in less strokes than everyone else...….and when I stopped worrying about having my A+

game I learned I can win without my best stuff if I manage myself well enough."

A birdie is a birdie...……...

You ain't ever played golf with me. Stu golf at it's best is ugly. I hit a little stinger 3 yard cut driver. Bear can not stand it. One day we were playing this par 5 and I had hit a "Stuey Special " low cut driver out there pretty good. I was playing the 54 Hogan Precisions that day. I did the lay up with a low cut 2 iron. Bear remarked "If Ben Hogan saw you hit that he would take those irons out of your bag that was fricking ugly" yeah but I am in the middle of the fairway Next shot a high cut 9 iron from 125 yds out. 2 foot below the hole. I told Bear but when he saw me hit that he would have winked and put them back in the bag. Made the putt too. Last week on a long par 4 I hit a good drive ugly but good. Had some 210 carry over the water but there was an area to the left that you could get on the green and not go over the water. Bear remarked "There is no way in hell you can carry that water with that 3 iron" I told him I ain't gonna try. I am going left away from the water and cut it up to the fringe or run up area. I did just that got it to the run up area. Bump and ran the 7 iron up to 4 foot and made the putt. Yep Stu golf is ugly always has been but it works for me. Trust me if you play ugly golf like I do it unnerves a lot of folks

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Sunglasses. Always wear sunglasses when the sun is shining. Mandatory, my eyes seem to be sensitive to bright sunlight. Even wear them on somewhat overcast days if I'm driving.

Been a eyeglass wearer since my early youth. Need them for distance vision, not for reading. Always have invested good money in lenses and frames, figuring they're items that I use every day, for upwards of 5 years between replacements. The regular glasses are progressive lenses. The lower portion is basically without a Rx, so that I don't have to remove the glasses to read. (Which I do anyway, so rethinking this on the next pair.) But they're a major pain to play golf while wearing. The progression is right at the point wear I look down while addressing the ball. Never notice the vision change anytime else, only when golfing.

Unless its very overcast, will wear my sunglasses while playing. The current pair is single Rx. Coated lenses, dark gray coloration, polarized. Have no problem playing in them, other than if I enter a darkly shaded area. Nor did I realize any difficulty reading greens. At least that was what I thought. Until reading elsewhere in WRX'land about polarized lenses and green reading. I've tried reading a green with the regular glasses then switch to the sunglasses. Couldn't detect a noticeable difference with reading contours or grain. Never have had the opportunity to compare with some of these new, golf specific lenses that are available these days. Furthermore, not ready to make the investment in golf specific Rx shades that would not be useful in any other application.

Other issues of greater import and detriment while playing than the type of lenses in my sunglasses. I can follow the flight of the ball just fine, better than most. But I have been curious lately to try on a pair with golf specific lenses, see if can detect a difference. Just don't have any idea where to go for a demo. Not like anyone is going to allow someone to take a pair out for a 18 hole test drive.

The cool thing about Snell balls is they ship here in about a week lol. Other brands like Vice can't even ship to an APO address. I'm currently playing with ProV1s, a gift given to me by a semi-pro when I scored for their group in New York about a year ago. Just now getting to them. First time playing ProV1s, and I'm not all really that wowed by them. I'm more wowed by the price by thinking "Wow people are willing to pay that price for them". Off base ProV1s go for about 60 bucks a dozen, along with Bridgestone balls. On base their price tag is 45 bucks. Hell chrome softs aren't much cheaper either. 6 dozen Snell balls for 27 a dozen is a great deal to me. There isn't a golf ball here in the premium category that I can get for 27 a dozen. Even e6s if I can find them on base usually go for 30 bucks lol. I used to get Bridgestone B330S for 25 a dozen if I bought 4, and then bridgestone quit selling them at 31 a dozen and the shop I got them from cut the deal as well lol.

When it comes to lie angles I tend to believe in a +/- 3 rule. In statistics 3% in either direction is considered a margin of error. So for me any lie angle within 3 degrees is in a margin of error. If you go outside of that, you'll probably notice a difference, but not within in. It is also so minute of a change, the body wouldn't be able to know the difference, unless your some super human that can tell the difference down to a degree.

In other news. I backed up a ball today about four feet. Ball was the Wilson FG, Cleveland was the SW. Must have been the "oily wrists". Unfortunately, it was 15 feet to the left of the pin. And I missed the putt to save a bogey. But it looked cool, got a rise out of the usual suspects.

Happens every once in a great while, totally out of the blue. Stick and stay is typically all I ask for.

The cool thing about Snell balls is they ship here in about a week lol. Other brands like Vice can't even ship to an APO address. I'm currently playing with ProV1s, a gift given to me by a semi-pro when I scored for their group in New York about a year ago. Just now getting to them. First time playing ProV1s, and I'm not all really that wowed by them. I'm more wowed by the price by thinking "Wow people are willing to pay that price for them". Off base ProV1s go for about 60 bucks a dozen, along with Bridgestone balls. On base their price tag is 45 bucks. Hell chrome softs aren't much cheaper either. 6 dozen Snell balls for 27 a dozen is a great deal to me. There isn't a golf ball here in the premium category that I can get for 27 a dozen. Even e6s if I can find them on base usually go for 30 bucks lol. I used to get Bridgestone B330S for 25 a dozen if I bought 4, and then bridgestone quit selling them at 31 a dozen and the shop I got them from cut the deal as well lol.

When it comes to lie angles I tend to believe in a +/- 3 rule. In statistics 3% in either direction is considered a margin of error. So for me any lie angle within 3 degrees is in a margin of error. If you go outside of that, you'll probably notice a difference, but not within in. It is also so minute of a change, the body wouldn't be able to know the difference, unless your some super human that can tell the difference down to a degree.

You do realize that + or - 3° is one helluva lot more than + or - 3%? I would expect 3° lie angle differential to be very noticeable and 6° differential to be unplayable.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

In other news. I backed up a ball today about four feet. Ball was the Wilson FG, Cleveland was the SW. Must have been the "oily wrists". Unfortunately, it was 15 feet to the left of the pin. And I missed the putt to save a bogey. But it looked cool, got a rise out of the usual suspects.

Happens every once in a great while, totally out of the blue. Stick and stay is typically all I ask for.

Never backed a ball up in my life, but then again I always knew that you undersold your game. ;)

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)