Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Every time I watch DeChambeau play, his style looks so.........Uncomfortable. But who am I to say.

You're no the only one. He plays golf like an engineer who got carried away trying to bring his Meccano man to life! Iron Byron has more rhythm and fluidity than DeChambeau. I have to cover my eyes when he has a putter in his hands. It just goes to show that if you put enough effort into something you can get results no matter how awkward and unnatural to appears to be. It all leaves me wondering just what he may have been able to accomplish if he had applied his talents to another endeavour that would have a greater benefit to the masses.

Apologies to bill and any others who have been dallying with the single length iron experiment and find this method of swinging the golf club inspiring.

Had to search for "Meccano Man" to understand the reference. Ha, ha! Precisely.

One thing I'm in agreement with BD is leaving the pin in while putting. In the right circumstances. Do to my less than adequate short game skills, all to often leave myself in the wrong position on the green. As in......"Why in hell did I hit it back there?". With a propensity towards leaving myself far to many downhill putts. Having a legal backstop could be useful occasionally.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Every time I watch DeChambeau play, his style looks so.........Uncomfortable. But who am I to say.

You're no the only one. He plays golf like an engineer who got carried away trying to bring his Meccano man to life! Iron Byron has more rhythm and fluidity than DeChambeau. I have to cover my eyes when he has a putter in his hands. It just goes to show that if you put enough effort into something you can get results no matter how awkward and unnatural to appears to be. It all leaves me wondering just what he may have been able to accomplish if he had applied his talents to another endeavour that would have a greater benefit to the masses.

Apologies to bill and any others who have been dallying with the single length iron experiment and find this method of swinging the golf club inspiring.

Actually, i find absolutely nothing in his swing inspiring. He swings like someone pulled the broom from his nether regions and stuck it

in his left arm and then glued his torso to the arm...I think i really like my One Lengths,and NO swing change is necessary to use them.

I will admit that it took this old man a lot longer than other folks on this site to get used to the longer short clubs. But that was the result

of a very deep rooted "country boy knows better" trait. Having purchased no new clubs for over 15 years until i got them,I am now thinking

of replacing them with F8 one lengths. Turning into a regular club ho .. I do love the graphite shafts tho.

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Actually, i find absolutely nothing in his swing inspiring. He swings like someone pulled the broom from his nether regions and stuck it

in his left arm and then glued his torso to the arm...I think i really like my One Lengths,and NO swing change is necessary to use them.

I will admit that it took this old man a lot longer than other folks on this site to get used to the longer short clubs. But that was the result

of a very deep rooted "country boy knows better" trait. Having purchased no new clubs for over 15 years until i got them,I am now thinking

of replacing them with F8 one lengths. Turning into a regular club ho .. I do love the graphite shafts tho.

I do hope that's the case here as well. Switching over for next year. Spent the fall demoing a few different OEM irons with LW graphites, and stuck one in a demo head I'd been testing. All the initial results were positive. Didn't see any difficulty with hitting low 70 gram graphites. Control seemed equal to the various steel weights I had been playing. If fact, the lighter weight seemed so much easier to swing without exerting much effort. Of course, the sample size and duration is still small. YTBD how they will work out in the longer term. With the longer lengths I play at, the swing weight comes in at ~ D3.5, so can still feel the head during the swing. Length + weight = becoming ponderous during the latter stages of a round. Stayed with R flex.

And an extension to what Reason has posted about ^. Grip pressure, tension, fluidity, wrist release may be easier to accomplish with a LW club. At least to the point that I do not feel like I'm having to over grip the handle to hang on to the club. IDK. I'm outside of my element with swing talk. But some initial practice swings in the garage (with both the graphites and the CFS Pings), seemed to be easier to c0ck (Editing: apparently a verboten WRX word with the small"o") and release of the wrists. Not feeling the heft of the club in hand. As long as I can maintain some measure of accuracy, going as light as possible is my new M.O. Have some LW steel (> 95 g) that will find their way into a SW as well.

Even been browsing for a deal on a sub-50 gram graphite for the D. Know that there use to be 45 gram Grafalloy PL Blues at one time. But they are apparently non-existent these days. That would be an interesting experiment. ULW with oily wrists....Bam! Yardage recaptured.

Yes, the putter, that's the part I have a hard time watching. So much time goes into the overthinking of a simple putt. Now this year adding the pin-in drama that isn't really helping, only to miss putts which seemingly are simple, more than he did last year, then to give that over animated shrug like 'Dog gone, it wasn't me, what could have gone wrong, I studied that one hard, what in the universe fell out of alignment in that nanosecond?' I guess... I guess my arms weren't stiff enough, they hurt though, and I'm sunburned- this means something, ah ah ah ahah... no wait, that's from a movie...

Pl ease release me let me go! Upper back spasm is much improved. Still a bit tender. Should stay home. But won't. Off to try the oily wrists and save my back and big muscles.

Tried to reply to Rad's pl and got a no permission notice, What's that about?

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

Loving the swing talk. It's gonna be fun when I get back out on the range.......I need "oily".

Oily goes good with oldy; which is what I'm rapidly becoming. :)

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

Pl ease release me let me go! Upper back spasm is much improved. Still a bit tender. Should stay home. But won't. Off to try the oily wrists and save my back and big muscles.

Tried to reply to Rad's pl and got a no permission notice, What's that about?

My guess is I deleted the post while you were replying, lol.

SLED Gemini

All this talk about oily wrists is the perfect segue for the miracle product swingOIL!

I heard about this from a fellow on another forum. He claims it increased his swing speed by several mph. Unfortunately I haven't had any luck searching for his postings on the subject.

I don't know whether there's anything to it as I always figured the fellow who talked it up was a bit full of shite. A club builder that was always right about everything he spoke about and was far more interested in hitting a custom build driver on the range with a launch monitor than he was in playing golf.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

All this talk about oily wrists is the perfect segue for the miracle product swingOIL!

I heard about this from a fellow on another forum. He claims it increased his swing speed by several mph. Unfortunately I haven't had any luck searching for his postings on the subject.

I don't know whether there's anything to it as I always figured the fellow who talked it up was a bit full of shite. A club builder that was always right about everything he spoke about and was far more interested in hitting a custom build driver on the range with a launch monitor than he was in playing golf.

The guys in the pic look like they might have been leaking a bit in their 'nasty parts' as they used to say on Monty Python.

I do believe that "oily wrists" has now entered into the Grille's swing thing lexicon. Along with the infamous "Spaz and Lurch" and the "Snead Squat". Off the top of my head, on the quick. In no way wanting to diverge from Reason's original intent, as it's actually quite descriptive. I'm prepared to drop it on the golf buds when the first opportunity presents itself. Something like:

"I'm well lubricated with glucosamine supplements and fish oil capsules, wrists are feeling extra oily, you guys are in trouble today. Double the wager?"

Annual dermatologist appointment tomorrow. She always removes some suspicious spots, and have a squamous cell that came up since November. Maybe I should ask her about Oily wrists. She's a golfer, ha. She always has me cover myself with lots of lotion though, probably Arnold Palmer's Pennzoil wouldn't have any SPF factor to it, it would just keep your swing quiet and lubricated avec le huile sur les poignets (with the oil on the wrists). Oui oui, play on!

Annual dermatologist appointment tomorrow. She always removes some suspicious spots, and have a squamous cell that came up since November. Maybe I should ask her about Oily wrists. She's a golfer, ha. She always has me cover myself with lots of lotion though, probably Arnold Palmer's Pennzoil wouldn't have any SPF factor to it, it would just keep your swing quiet and lubricated avec le huile sur les poignets (with the oil on the wrists). Oui oui, play on!

So.....the dermatological benefits of Pennzoil, not to mention sun blocking ability and most importantly,

still endorsed by Arnold and still measured in SPF (Snead Playability Factor) units? What's not to like?

I'm in

SLED Gemini

That's what I get for linking a page without even reading anything about it. Did a little checking comparing the dosage of turmeric I'm taking to what is in one serving as well as a daily dose of Glucosamine and Condroitin and there isn't enough active ingredient in swingOIL to do much more than act as a placebo. You really need 500-1000 mg per day for therapeutic benefit and yet this "drink" has about a tenth of that. At this point I would say that if you try it or use it and it has a perceived benefit then fine, but I really wouldn't expect much.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Back to ad some content to Reason's wrist thing advisement. Following the mornings discourse, decided to cancel all pending unimportant events and head to the golf dome to hit some balls. Best I got in the current conditions. Wanted to try the new irons and test the "supple" wrist theory. A few observations.

Once warmed up and hitting balls with some measure of consistent contact, tried really accentuating the wrist action. Pausing at the top, feeling the wrist set. First few attempts were not successful, some shanks and hosel rockets. Then it started. Began noticing a solid release down and through the ball with minimal effort. Not feeling like I was doing much of anything with the arms or upper body other than being "along for the ride". Wasn't thinking about anything else other than unhinging the wrists. And began experiencing a "pop" to the ball strike. Granted, the distance to the back of the dome was only 115 yards. So any distance achieved could only be extrapolated by trajectory ascending (or descending) with a good ball strike. But was hitting the ball high and still ascending angle. Some A/B testing with the i20's seemed to confirm that trajectory may yield an improvement in distance realized. Using 7 irons.

Found it difficult to execute this wrist cocking with the handle in the palm of my hands. Didn't notice this at first. But at one point, noticed that I had begun gripping the club with the only the last three fingers of my left hand. Somehow I had adjusted my grip instinctually. Subsequently, changed the right hand to a fingers only orientation, and found some consistency to every swing of the club.

I really felt like I was gearing back with the swing speed, trying to swing as slow as possible. Simple release the wrists at impact. No thought of plane angles, tempo (was pausing at the top to get a sensation of what I was attempting to do), or arm positions (i.e. tucked elbow). Didn't even think I was taking that much of a back swing. Just set the wrist and release just before impact. Took some practice to get the timing figured out, and that will be WIP. When I did it correctly, noticed that pop at impact that I cannot say I've felt before.

Of course this was off half way decent range mats. Easy to achieve some measure of consistency hitting ball after ball. The real test will be once I can hit off grass once again. And taking the process live and into the wild. Range practice doesn't always translate all that well. Because when play gets real, I revert back to old habits. However, I hit a large bucket of balls today, and sitting here composing with no stiffness or discomfort in the bod. Not having touched a club in a couple of months. Only hit irons today, wondering if I can achieve the same experience with a driver in hand. Longer the club, greater the margin for error. IDK. YTBD.

Lastly and perhaps contributing. Really enjoyed swinging these LW graphite shaft irons. Really took no effort to swing them, free and easy. And they did not feel at all loose with observed dispersion. A decent swing down the light with good ball contact result in straight shots. Maybe even a hint of a draw. A shot shape that I've wanted to begin hitting, but never have been successful in achieving. Always the fade.

So for early January, a satisfying hour of my time. And encouraging. Still much to work on, but a start. Now if I can't get my short game issues under control, it don't mean shizzle. But that's for another time and circumstance.

Additionally. I discovered a new Simulator golf facility not to far from home. Talked to the owner on the phone late this afternoon. Something of a sideline business he's recently started. Told him that I didn't want to play sim golf, just wanted to hit golf shots on a Trackman type device and have someone tell me what the numbers generated mean. Point some things out, maybe learn some things about my swing and implements utilized. Was told they have slo-mo cameras that record one's swing. If I came over during the a.m. hours, on a weekday, could use one of the bays for an hour for $20. Seemed quite reasonable. And a whole lot cheaper than the LGS that wants to charge $150 for the whole club fitting business. And then try and sell you new clubs. Think it may be an interesting exercise. At least once. It's got my curiosity aroused. Going to try and schedule within the next couple of weeks. Not going to turn into a data geek, but may uncover a few hidden issues that could be easily modified and corrected.

That's what I get for linking a page without even reading anything about it. Did a little checking comparing the dosage of turmeric I'm taking to what is in one serving as well as a daily dose of Glucosamine and Condroitin and there isn't enough active ingredient in swingOIL to do much more than act as a placebo. You really need 500-1000 mg per day for therapeutic benefit and yet this "drink" has about a tenth of that. At this point I would say that if you try it or use it and it has a perceived benefit then fine, but I really wouldn't expect much.

Read the linked page of ingredients to the Mrs. She something of a home-brew herbalist. Already have several of those listed around the house. That she buys on the cheap from Costco and other such places. She's been on a ginseng kick lately. For her mind. Didn't even consider what the meaningful dosage amounts would be. Swing Oil is suggesting that one takes a dose before, during and after a round. That would be ~ $9.00 every time one plays. I don't think so. Most of these kinds of miracle remedies have more snake oil mixed in than anything. And never substantiated by verifiable test results.

I asked the DW what herb I should be taking to improve my short game prowess. She laughed. Said, "There's nothing. I've seen you try and chip. You're pitiful." Sheesh. Thanks for the "stand by your man" encouragement.

Geez, I said I wouldn't be surprised if Clemson wins.............didn't think it would get this lopsided but

it is what it is.............I've turned the game off and we're back to watching Heartland on Netflix.

SLED Gemini

My contribution to the Grille Health & Wellness seminar concerns Jungle Rot. Yes, you heard it, Jungle Rot. How do you know you have it? See and read the article below. Does oil help it? Oh no no no. Just wear clean socks when playing golf, and underwear, perhaps Duluth Trading company, I don't know, your choice. I've never had Jungle Rot, but I wouldn't want any Grillers to come down with it.

https://www.wikihow....Have-Jungle-Rot

Stay fully protected when searching for ball in jungle...

Checking in, busy the past few days readying for the septic to be installed next Tuesday, we have to remove some large shrubs to give the diggers access and we are now at the end of cleaning up after removing the tiger grass.. we have four large panels we will be fitting soon instead of the grass, these are to hide our water tanks. All we have left to do then is cut up about 10 ton of wood from the trees we had cut down.

Easy.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

My contribution to the Grille Health & Wellness seminar concerns Jungle Rot. Yes, you heard it, Jungle Rot. How do you know you have it? See and read the article below. Does oil help it? Oh no no no. Just wear clean socks when playing golf, and underwear, perhaps Duluth Trading company, I don't know, your choice. I've never had Jungle Rot, but I wouldn't want any Grillers to come down with it.

https://www.wikihow....Have-Jungle-Rot

Stay fully protected when searching for ball in jungle...

Wouldn't think of heading into any such jungle environs looking for a golf ball. As there is a high probability that there may be.........Snakes. Or God knows what else. Lurking. Waiting. And wearing clean jockeys ain't gonna save 'yo a**.

Wow. Clemson laying down a whoop'n in the Natty. Made it to the 4th quarter before dozing off. But by then, the outcome was readily apparent. Woke up in time to listen to the full Dabo interview at the end. He's rather charismatic.

Current state of CFB. Alabama/Clemson. Clemson/Alabama. Everyone else get in line, cuz you're not close to being good enough.

Wow. Clemson laying down a whoop'n in the Natty. Made it to the 4th quarter before dozing off. But by then, the outcome was readily apparent. Woke up in time to listen to the full Dabo interview at the end. He's rather charismatic.

Current state of CFB. Alabama/Clemson. Clemson/Alabama. Everyone else get in line, cuz you're not close to being good enough.

So true, and this is likely to continue. Here at Ohio State we now have a revolving door of players and coaches spinning daily. Should make for a nice 3 or 4 game loss next season. Now we have Justin Fields also, if they let him play, which is up in the air. Whole new atmosphere here.

Trevor Lawrence has a great career ahead of him.

And now plucking a 69 year old D-Line coach from "That School Up North" to be a Co-D coordinator. (Co anything usually doesn't work out as planned.) Not exactly a progressive move. Is that Woody I hear rolling in his grave? Kicking a sidelines marker.

The thought did come to mind watching the game. Trevor Lawrence. Gridiron hero. Star of the game. Long blond hair, good looking guy (I can say that without mis-interpretation?). That bandana thing going on. BMOC. A QB no less. Going to make a boatload of coin someday. If he's not already (I digress). Just a freshman. In a land of attractive Southern co-eds. Don't think he has any problems with getting dates.

So true, and this is likely to continue. Here at Ohio State we now have a revolving door of players and coaches spinning daily. Should make for a nice 3 or 4 game loss next season. Now we have Justin Fields also, if they let him play, which is up in the air. Whole new atmosphere here.

Trevor Lawrence has a great career ahead of him.

Sounds a lot like the CFL and what is currently going on up here with a heavy turnover in the coaching ranks. Gone are a bunch of old tenured ex-NFLers being replaced by a group of fresh young faces with new ideas. Probably good for the game as in recent years it has been the young staffs that have had the most success and been the most consistent. Jerry Glanville may have been extremely entertaining, but just what the heck is a 78 yr. old doing as a defensive co-ordinator?

AS for the revolving door with players, that's always been the way what with the allure of a possible NFL contract and a standard policy of non-guaranteed two year contracts. It seems to happen without fail that a star player will leave the CFL for an NFL tryout only to return 3 or 4 years later as half the player they were when they left. It just goes to show that your skills will leave rather quickly when sitting on a practice roster. For every Warren Moon and Jeff Garcia there will be dozens that get nothing more than a cup of coffee and the NFL minimum. I doubt they even end up ahead financially because you find yourself out of the game in your mid twenties versus having a long career earning top dollars as an all star.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Woke up this morning, congested, headache, but no fever. If you gotta be sick, winter and retirement is the only way to go.

Never really paid attention to DeChambeau's unique golf. Will have to notice at next opportunity. Whatever, it's working and he's laughing all the way to the bank. I recall, when he was an amateur, he wore Kangol caps, now he wears Puma. I guess Kangol wouldn't pay him to wear Kangols.

I read somewhere that golf pros get boxes filled with clothes, etc. from the major manufacturers all the time, for free. The guy in the article said he donates a lot of stuff, literally has rooms filled with stuff sent to him. Don't remember who the guy was, I think the article was in a Golf Digest or GQ.

A far cry from the poor people. When I was working in the steel mill, you had to turn in a Sharpie marker to get a new one. I learned the hard way not to leave one laying around on a work table. I'd leave the worn sharpie uncapped to dry out the tip. The boss wouldn't give you another, if there was even a spark of ink in the old one. Someone ripped off the uncapped one from my work table.

Once, someone stole a stopper cap from my Stanley thermos bottle.

Those steel mill experiences, maybe one of the reasons, as Stu remarked, I tried to look like a gentleman, fashioning myself as the college professor type. The Sharpie incident gave me an affection for nice fountain pens. Who knows? I DO know a psychiatrist would have a field day analyzing me.

Musings on a January morning.

A psychiatrist would have a field day analyzing most of us, Wriggs!

--------------------------

Gotta say that petty theft is one of those things that just p*sses me off! There's an epidemic of it and most just slough it off as nothing. My wife won't even put her lunch in the fridge at work cause someone might just take it and eat it as community property! WTF is that stealing from a co-worker? So much for moral compasses. :angry:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I had coffee yesterday with my buddy Dave. I've mentioned him on here before a number of times because he's the annoying golfing partner I have that's always searching for lost balls. No matter, he's a good friend and he has kept in touch with me despite me no longer bowling and being away from the golf course.

He's a few years older than me and is retired also. Last fall he started driving for Skip the Dishes which is a restaurant delivery service using private contractors. It's a bit of a racket, but that's a story for another day. Dave works three afternoons a week; Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. He gets paid $5 per order plus any tips. On a good week he can make about $300. It's not a lot, but it buys his gas and pays for incidentals and his spending money for the week.

You'd be amazed at what people will order. He said that because he's working through the day he tends to get a lot of orders from students. He has delivered the most insignificant things you could possibly imagine. Two large fountain drinks; a single order of fries. That's it! those were two separate orders. He told me the craziest thing he delivered was a case of soda that was sold by a burger joint on a per serving basis. That effectively turned a $3.99 case of pop in the grocery store into at least a $30 order because he got a $10 tip! WTF are people thinking? And that was some kid that had the money for a cash order and just handed it over without a second thought...

Dave has been on the other side too. He and his wife order dinner one night just to see how it would work from the other side with a different courier delivering. The first order arrived frozen because the driver put the food in his trunk and didn't zip up the insulated travel bag. They reordered and got what they wanted, but it wasn't particularly timely with the initial screw up. Dave told me that he has often times had to drive miles and miles out of his way to get an order because the customer didn't order from the closest outlet. Perhaps that's on purpose because the promise is a half hour or it's free. WE're a funny lot, the human race...

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)