2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Talk about dying arts; DW's nephew married an Italian girl. Her father is a cobbler and has worked out of the same shop for almost 50 years. I knew him and used his services long before I met his daughter. Nicest guy that you'd ever want to meet. There isn't anything leather or any other material for that matter that he can't repair.

I have no recollection of getting shoes resoled, but I can recall my father getting his wing tips reheeled. In fact, the Italian dress shoes I own can be reheeled, but when they only get worn on special occasions I can't imagine ever needing to get that done.

----------------------

I'm not sure what to make of the desert golf course. I've seen them in Arizona when we were there a number or years ago. They sort of stick out like a sore thumb. Conjures up thought of the old Sesame Street tune --

One of these things is not like the other things,

One of these things just isn't the same,

Mind you, it strikes me a bit odd seeing vinyards growing in the desert too with full canopy irrigation. Not the most efficient, but that was the technology of the times...

The most treasured time I find in the desert is sitting on a small patch of irrigated grass with the sprinklers going in early morning while having coffee. It's like a brief respite from the arid surroundings. I remember those moments in Arizona at the hotel we were staying at in Sedona just as surely as sitting on the front porch in Penticton as the sprinklers did the duty along the street buffers. It can be odd what sticks in one's mind...

Was going to mention that all the cobblers I ran into were of Italian heritage. Thought someone might take offense by the stereotype.

No offense meant.

My goto cobbler is Vietnamese. Goes by Tony. Go figure. Excellent at his craft. Had him restitch and rivet a carry strap on an old Hogan golf bag once. Work was perfect. He has quite the reputation by offering quality service, quick turn around and reasonable rates. The Mrs. just had a Coach purse redone with some seam sewing and a zipper replacement. Tony's cool, anything one brings him is always, "We do. Three days."

No reason not to resole and reheel a quality leather shoe. A good cobbler can make them look like new, as long as the uppers are in good shape. Oak leather soles and heels. A welt construct that facilitates replacement. Why I've kept dress shoe selection of a timeless design. Longevity measured not in years, but in decades. With proper care and maintenance.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I remember getting shoes resoled, dang that was centuries ago.

Another thing I remember, maybe Stu will remember this stuff, was my first stepfather would make me take his illustrious old '58 Buick or whatever year it was, and spend what seemed to be an entire summer Saturday using the Blue Coral treatment to bring back the beautiful brand new shine to a car that had seen its better days.

You couldn't just buy Simonize, oh no no no, it had to be the Blue Coral treatment, wash the heck out of the car, then the cleaner, then the waxer or whatever the heck the process was. It took hours and hours and muscles I didn't even have. Of course it was never perfect as he wanted a brand new car by the time I was done. I worked, he inspected, I worked, he inspected, many beers in between for him, a few Pepsi's for me... much Blue Coral injected into my finger tips from the polishing cloths I'm sure. 'you missed a spot, over here', 'rub it out more, over there' 'no, not like that' etc etc, for hours, I would rather have been busting up large rocks with a sledge hammer with a chain gang... By the time I was done, neighbors were shielding their eyes from the glistening reflection of the sun coming off of the surface of the car, wondering what had landed in the yard. Some were saying UFO, others just closed their drapes and stayed in until Monday. One thing is for sure, when it rained on the car for the first year, drops bounced off of it quickly, almost in apology. The car went faster, getting no resistance whatsoever from the surrounding air or humidity. Whenever anyone told him how nice it looked, he told them that I did the Blue Coral treatment on it. The closest thing to a compliment I ever got from him.

I had thrown 2 no hitters in little league baseball by then but he bragged about my car waxing. Still I had accomplished something by 13, so I settled for that.

Heck yes, Blue Coral Wax treatment. Carnauba paste, or something like that. BITD before clear coat finishes, the best method for achieving a "deep" shine (for lack of a better descriptive). Was a major PITA to apply and buff out. Best to do with a electric buffer. But there were always crevices and edges that required hand buffing. Learned the hard way, ALWAYS APPLY IN THE SHADE. And work with small areas at a time. Made the mistake of applying to the whole front end of a car, in the sun, and thought I'd never get that stuff buffed out. Didn't know any better. Car guy buddy laughed and lent me his buffer and instructed me how to do it right. On a '65 Pontiac Tempest LeMans no less. Not exactly a classic whip. Ha, hadn't thought about that in years.

Talk about dying arts; DW's nephew married an Italian girl. Her father is a cobbler and has worked out of the same shop for almost 50 years. I knew him and used his services long before I met his daughter. Nicest guy that you'd ever want to meet. There isn't anything leather or any other material for that matter that he can't repair.

I have no recollection of getting shoes resoled, but I can recall my father getting his wing tips reheeled. In fact, the Italian dress shoes I own can be reheeled, but when they only get worn on special occasions I can't imagine ever needing to get that done.

----------------------

I'm not sure what to make of the desert golf course. I've seen them in Arizona when we were there a number or years ago. They sort of stick out like a sore thumb. Conjures up thought of the old Sesame Street tune --

One of these things is not like the other things,

One of these things just isn't the same,

Mind you, it strikes me a bit odd seeing vinyards growing in the desert too with full canopy irrigation. Not the most efficient, but that was the technology of the times...

The most treasured time I find in the desert is sitting on a small patch of irrigated grass with the sprinklers going in early morning while having coffee. It's like a brief respite from the arid surroundings. I remember those moments in Arizona at the hotel we were staying at in Sedona just as surely as sitting on the front porch in Penticton as the sprinklers did the duty along the street buffers. It can be odd what sticks in one's mind...

There are a few things that I really like about this golf course. 1. There are no houses and it winds through some little hills with a very natural and wild way and has memorable holes that are not all the same. 2. It is almost a nature preserve with lots of wildlife. 3. It is a public course and very reasonably priced. 4. Pace of play was perfect.

That’s my review of the 500 Club Glendale/Phoenix Az. As a side note, it was developed by one or both of the Sneva brothers, I think Tom who was an Indie driver back in the 70’s to the 90’s and was from up my way in Spokane and had a distinguished race career. Thus the 500 Club.

Let me wish you all a very Happy New Year! We should make it home just in time to bring in the New Year. Think Spring :)

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

I think the car wax was only out done by what was in the package under the Christmas tree around 1963 that my stepfather got me. It was time. About 1' X 1' it was solid but rattled a little when you shook it (which I did when they weren't home of course. Could it be a new baseball glove filled with the cards of every player in existence? No, I Iiked to pick out my own sports stuff. Maybe some water rockets that shoot off after being filled from the hose in the back yard, like my neighbor had. Still, it seemed heavier that both of those. Finally Christmas morning came, and it was the first thing I tore into. The paper came off, and there it was, this cedar box. I opened it, and inside was three tins of shoe polish - black, brown- neutral, two brushes to apply it, two bigger brushes to buff it off the shoes, and a soft rag to polish after buffing per my stepfather's explanation. All the while my face I'm sure was filled with joy chagrin... I was so looking forward to being able to use it some time before breakfast my death... When it did come time to use it, he further added dread to the process by saying that when you apply the polish, you never use the small brushes, only your fingers as the warmth of your hands will heat the polish and it will work its way into the leather better. Anyway, he became the general inspector of all polishing, and rework becomes part of the polishing process.

I think the car wax was only out done by what was in the package under the Christmas tree around 1963 that my stepfather got me. It was time. About 1' X 1' it was solid but rattled a little when you shook it (which I did when they weren't home of course. Could it be a new baseball glove filled with the cards of every player in existence? No, I Iiked to pick out my own sports stuff. Maybe some water rockets that shoot off after being filled from the hose in the back yard, like my neighbor had. Still, it seemed heavier that both of those. Finally Christmas morning came, and it was the first thing I tore into. The paper came off, and there it was, this cedar box. I opened it, and inside was three tins of shoe polish - black, brown- neutral, two brushes to apply it, two bigger brushes to buff it off the shoes, and a soft rag to polish after buffing per my stepfather's explanation. All the while my face I'm sure was filled with joy chagrin... I was so looking forward to being able to use it some time before breakfast my death... When it did come time to use it, he further added dread to the process by saying that when you apply the polish, you never use the small brushes, only your fingers as the warmth of your hands will heat the polish and it will work its way into the leather better. Anyway, he became the general inspector of all polishing, and rework becomes part of the polishing process.

Upon reading about your shine box, why did Billy Batts and Tommy DeVito immediately come to mind?

Gonna be 73 degrees tomorrow but...............rain rain and more rain.....nothing but rain.

Rain rain rain rain rain.......................

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

Heck yes, Blue Coral Wax treatment. Carnauba paste, or something like that. BITD before clear coat finishes, the best method for achieving a "deep" shine (for lack of a better descriptive). Was a major PITA to apply and buff out. Best to do with a electric buffer. But there were always crevices and edges that required hand buffing. Learned the hard way, ALWAYS APPLY IN THE SHADE. And work with small areas at a time. Made the mistake of applying to the whole front end of a car, in the sun, and thought I'd never get that stuff buffed out. Didn't know any better. Car guy buddy laughed and lent me his buffer and instructed me how to do it right. On a '65 Pontiac Tempest LeMans no less. Not exactly a classic whip. Ha, hadn't thought about that in years.

Exactly. We had a 1958 Buick Roadmaster. When I started on the hood on a Saturday morning, in a very small area like you say, it seemed like I would be doing the entire state of Ohio before I was done. There was no quick way of doing it. Especially with his impeccable inspection of each square foot. It all had to glisten as if it were better than new. The right rear piece behind the tire had to look as good as the hood. So did the little door to the gas tank on the rear bumper. You didn't slough off on anything. If you did, you risked being called some kind of lazy bum. ('what are you some kind of lazy bum?') Apparently there were different categories of lazy bums from which to be graded, all of which were in and of themselves scornful.

Gonna be 73 degrees tomorrow but...............rain rain and more rain.....nothing but rain.

Sorry Rad. One of my friends is spending the month of Dec. in Tucson Az. They had a lot of rain when we had sun in Phoenix and it has been cold there too. 73 deg. sounds pretty good. Think sun :)

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

Sorry Rad. One of my friends is spending the month of Dec. in Tucson Az. They had a lot of rain when we had sun in Phoenix and it has been cold there too. 73 deg. sounds pretty good. Think sun :)

I'm ready for some sun. We're supposed to get sun Thursday. Meanwhile..........rain. I'm not

really complaining..........just complaining............with all the rain Cobi and I watched all 4 seasons

of "Hart of Dixie".................twas a fun watch..........good old Bluebell, Alabama, LMAO. :)

SLED Gemini

How bout those Fightin' Irish..................Daaaaa daa daa dadadada repeat as necessary.

Fightin' WHO? It was those green shoes.............anyone who wears green shoes deserves to lose.

SLED Gemini

How bout those Fightin' Irish..................Daaaaa daa daa dadadada repeat as necessary.

Fightin' WHO? It was those green shoes.............anyone who wears green shoes deserves to lose.

To much dancing and singing and not enough hitting. Maybe the NCAA will wake up and expand to 8 teams.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

Clemson is going to be tough. That Trevor dude is a gamer. After the 5'9" Kyler we get the 6'6" Trevor;

all godlike with the long blond hair. He needs to be drafted by the Vikings.

SLED Gemini

Clemson is going to be tough. That Trevor dude is a gamer. After the 5'9" Kyler we get the 6'6" Trevor;

all godlike with the long blond hair. He needs to be drafted by the Vikings.

That's a great show to binge watch.

Yeah and you don't get the Oklahoma 'score whenever you want defense.'

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

Well Grillers here in Australia we are almost into the new year, for me this past year has had several trying bits but many more bits that cancel all of those out. We are starting tomorrow with a fresh outlook, all is going well for a first class 2019.

I must thank you all as without your humour friendship and support things could have been much different, my daily Grille fix has sometimes kept me going. Here’s to another good Grille year and hope Gus and staff can replicate all the fantastic meals we had served the last 12 months

Wishing you all the best fortune, luck and anything else you wish for yourselves during the new year.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

Well Grillers here in Australia we are almost into the new year, for me this past year has had several trying bits but many more bits that cancel all of those out. We are starting tomorrow with a fresh outlook, all is going well for a first class 2019.

I must thank you all as without your humour friendship and support things could have been much different, my daily Grille fix has sometimes kept me going. Here’s to another good Grille year and hope Gus and staff can replicate all the fantastic meals we had served the last 12 months

Wishing you all the best fortune, luck and anything else you wish for yourselves during the new year.

Same to you tol, may 2019 be a great year for all Grillers and DW's alike.

Yesterday, I drove to the course, and had coffee with the manager. A bunch of guys were finishing up at 1:30 pm. I played one hole, teed off on the second, and picked up my ball. Seemed it was a nice day, sunny, about 40 degrees, but the wind made it bitter. I was freezing by the time I got to the car.

I recall the Blue Coral car wax. Don't remember buying it, but one of the Beach Boys songs mentioned it. My Dad wasn't much into polishing cars, when I was a boy. I may have remarked that my Mom, being an austere person, only allowed my father the cheapest cars. He had Chevrolet Biscaynes, a 59 and a 64, both 2 door sedans with no frills, no whitewall tires or radio. I learned to drive in the 64.

Those Biscaynes would be nice to have today.

Happy New Year to All!

Similar to tol's description, my year was a series of ups and downs as I chronicled here. I would like to thank you all for your support and encouragement throughout the year. It may not seem like much, but it does uplift one's spirit!

We are going out this morning to have coffee with our friends from New Foundland. I always feel better after visiting with Pat and Gary. The ruddy cheeks and the lilt in their voices just warms the heart. We don't get to see that much of them, only when they are here visiting their kids. There's a standing invitation to join them in Portugal for the winter which we plan on taking them up on in a couple of years once DW has retired.

This evening we are going out for dinner to one of DW's favourite bistro's, downtown. No great plans beyond dinner and it will likely be an early night.

Yesterday, #1 son and I went out to see Vice after he came over to help me hook up the snowblower. I was really impressed with the acting. Steve Carel had Donald Rumsfeld pretty much to a tee. I thought that Christian Bale did good job portraying Dick Cheney, but there were times when he sounded a bit too much like Batman. Nevertheless a very well done film that seems accurate to the storyline. Amy Adams steals the show IMO with her role as Lynne Cheney.

In closing I'd like to take this opportunity to wish all of the Grillers, both regulars and passersby, the happiest and healthiest of New Years! May all your aims and ambitions be fulfilled. Cheers! :drinks:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Yesterday, I drove to the course, and had coffee with the manager. A bunch of guys were finishing up at 1:30 pm. I played one hole, teed off on the second, and picked up my ball. Seemed it was a nice day, sunny, about 40 degrees, but the wind made it bitter. I was freezing by the time I got to the car.

I recall the Blue Coral car wax. Don't remember buying it, but one of the Beach Boys songs mentioned it. My Dad wasn't much into polishing cars, when I was a boy. I may have remarked that my Mom, being an austere person, only allowed my father the cheapest cars. He had Chevrolet Biscaynes, a 59 and a 64, both 2 door sedans with no frills, no whitewall tires or radio. I learned to drive in the 64.

Those Biscaynes would be nice to have today.

Happy New Year to All!

Isn't it funny that something we really didn't want to be caught dead in as a teenager all of a sudden has appeal in our later years.

My dad preferred a little nicer ride. The first car I remember was a 56 Buick Roadmaster, two tone; cream and light blue. That was followed up by a '61 Bel-Air, white two door hardtop with red interior. I liked that car quite a bit and would love to have one now.

When I was 18 I was offered a minty '68 Fury II 4 dr hardtop that was two tone; beige and bottle green, for $800. It even had a 318. I couldn't get far enough away from that thing fast enough and yet within a couple of years I realized that I had missed out on a great opportunity. Instead I ended up with a classic piece of trash, the AMC Gremlin! I guess everyone has to go through the ordeal of owning a lemon...

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Wanted to stop by and wish all of you Grillers a Happy New Year, best to all of you in 2019. Y’all are the best of this place IMO. 100% class. Of course there are good members across the site, but they are highly concentrated in the Grille.

From myself and DW thank you, ablation finished and your recommended exersize routine well into.

Happy and prosperous new year to you and yours, don’t be a stranger, your contribution is missed.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Nice to hear from you Spooky!

And Happy New Year to all! :partytime2: :D

SLED Gemini

Nice to see you stop by again, spooky! Happy New year to all!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Good to hear from you Spooky, you are part of that class compliment. 2018 was a good Grille year. 2019 will be even better, lots of good conversations, food, and fellowship to be had. New friends to drop by, and old friends are never shy.

The Grille, home away from home, Gus says, 'Come to the pub, eat the grub, meet the staff, talk and laugh', Cyndy says 'the Grylle, come and get your fyll', Tammy says 'There's food and fun at the Grille, I never could rhyme very good.'

Happy New Year from the Grille! Gus, Tammy, Cyndy

Good to hear from you Spooky, you are part of that class compliment. 2018 was a good Grille year. 2019 will be even better, lots of good conversations, food, and fellowship to be had. New friends to drop by, and old friends are never shy.

The Grille, home away from home, Gus says, 'Come to the pub, eat the grub, meet the staff, talk and laugh', Cyndy says 'the Grylle, come and get your fyll', Tammy says 'There's food and fun at the Grille, I never could rhyme very good.'

Happy New Year from the Grille! Gus, Tammy, Cyndy

As usual Sixty a classic.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Hapiest New Year wishes to all Grillesters. 2019 in front us waiting to be exactly what we choose to make of it for ourselves and all around us. Let's make it a great one! The "laughs" side of the scale is bigger and catches way more than the "tears" side so let's tip it that way early and often.

Overcast but mild temps will allow a medium bucket this afternoon. Starting the year off with club-in-hand. Golf goal for 2019 is to relax the arms but let those wrists freely release that cluhead. Less arms -- more "release" so to speak. You get a ton more out of a swing for 1/10th the effort. Bigger result with smaller effort. Need to save calories. Mrs Reason is getting harder to outrun!

Hapiest New Year wishes to all Grillesters. 2019 in front us waiting to be exactly what we choose to make of it for ourselves and all around us. Let's make it a great one! The "laughs" side of the scale is bigger and catches way more than the "tears" side so let's tip it that way early and often.

Overcast but mild temps will allow a medium bucket this afternoon. Starting the year off with club-in-hand. Golf goal for 2019 is to relax the arms but let those wrists freely release that cluhead. Less arms -- more "release" so to speak. You get a ton more out of a swing for 1/10th the effort. Bigger result with smaller effort. Need to save calories. Mrs Reason is getting harder to outrun!

Why would you want to outrun her? I thought the whole point was to get caught! ;)

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)