Roll Tide Roadking. Saw back in your thread about your son. My seven year old is playing PGA Junior League and we just played his first 9 hole rounds this weekend. You are right, there is nothing like being out there with your son. He is already a little putter ho, asked for a mallet and how could I say no? Took him down to Play it Again, let him pick one out, and cut her down. Kid makes more putts than me now.

ROLL TIDE! Tough being a Bama fan in the heart of Ohio.

Haha that is awesome. My 7 year old is 50/50 whether he wants to play or not. Some days I ask and he is excited, somedays he is begging mom not to make him go. I don't think he cares one way or the other about the sport, more about spending time with dad. I am hoping that it turns into a genuine love for the sport that he wants to play on his own.

My 2 year old is a different story. If he sees me on my phone, he knows I am browsing the BST and wants to come sit on my lap and look at clubs with me. If I say the world golf, he runs to grab one of his clubs and is at the door. If we pass a golf course driving, he points and says "Jax's Golf Course" like he owns the place. He knows any time UPS, USPS, etc pulls in the driveway with a package, he is asking me "Golf Clubs?". I will have no problems getting this one into the game.

I mean Lumpy made the 2 boys a custom Xenon Putter. The 2 year old has not put the thing down since. He gets up in the morning, give him his milk and put Mickey on TV. He gets his golf club, runs to the couch, putter in one hand milk in the other and cannot get enough.

We have no idea why but my seven year old has become obsessed. He comes home, does his homework, then goes out and hits limited flight balls for an hour everyday or goes and putts on my indoor green. Hard to say no when he begs to go to the driving range as well!

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have no idea why but my seven year old has become obsessed. He comes home, does his homework, then goes out and hits limited flight balls for an hour everyday or goes and putts on my indoor green. Hard to say no when he begs to go to the driving range as well!

HA Man you are lucky. My 2 year old is like that. But He is so crazy I still cant take him on the course yet. If I don't give him my driver or putter to bang off the ball washer or drag down the cart path, it's like all hell is breaking loose. I tried once this year to take the 2 boys for 9 holes just to let them have fun.

I take my 7 year old to the 100 yard stake and let him play in from there and he loves that.

I wouldn't give my 2 year old my driver so he does this on the first hole........

I send this to his mom and she proceeds to drive down and pick him up.

This is my seven year old during and after his first 9 hole round playing his own ball. He parred two holes (cup picture is him getting his first par out after he sank a 20 footer on a Par 5). I have him play PGA Junior League distances on holes. He isn't consistent about getting the ball in the air yet but he is good at moving the ball forward and he is a decent putter honestly.

This is my seven year old during and after his first 9 hole round playing his own ball. He parred two holes (cup picture is him getting his first par out after he sank a 20 footer on a Par 5). I have him play PGA Junior League distances on holes. He isn't consistent about getting the ball in the air yet but he is good at moving the ball forward and he is a decent putter honestly.

That is awesome!!

Yeah that is about where my boy is. He can putt ok, but doesn't want to practice that. Wants to hit balls only and drive the golf cart. Sometimes gets it up in the air. I hope he can develop a love for the game because he is a great athlete, prefers football and baseball which I am fine with, just whatever he naturally loves.

That is awesome!!

Yeah that is about where my boy is. He can putt ok, but doesn't want to practice that. Wants to hit balls only and drive the golf cart. Sometimes gets it up in the air. I hope he can develop a love for the game because he is a great athlete, prefers football and baseball which I am fine with, just whatever he naturally loves.

That is what has surprised me about mine, he would rather spend time on the putting green than on the range. He loves to putt and the nuances of that part of the game. Part of it is he is the youngest one in his PGA Junior League by far so he kind of knows he will have to shine on the green, he just can't keep up with the 10 and 12 year olds when it comes to distance. All about letting them do something they love! Mine hasn't showed any interest in other sports so this is kind of his "thing" among his friends.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After messing with different options, going back and forth between the s55 and the ie1, I decided to reshaft my ie1 so both sets were identical specs. Played a few rounds after and just decided to stick with the Ie1.

I have pulled my 4 iron recently and added a 5 wood. I very rarely hit the 4 iron and it's only about 5 yards difference over the 5 iron so just figured I wanted more options at the top. Really happy with the decision at the moment.

The Epic SZ is starting to give me some fits. Fixed some swing flaws and changed my release and the driver is going left a lot. Really regret moving my 17 M2 at this point. I think I am going to have to give it another test run at the top of the bag and see what happens

What did you move to in the IEs and how did it change your ball flight/performance?

I went from Nippon Modus 130X to 130S.

I launch too low by nature and the 130S helps me get the ball in the air. I honestly have been hitting my irons so well, it's the reason I just decided to sell the s55. I hit them both really well, liked the s55 looks wise but just ultimately decided to stick with the Ie1 and really happy with my iron play at the moment. Changed my wedge shafts from 130X to 130S as well.

Driver is still a struggle as well. Snagged a Kuro Kage Dual Core XT and sold the Hzrdus T1100 last night. Excited to try this shaft. Have been working on releasing club sooner and not holding the lag forever and my launch has improved dramatically. Add that to taking about a 75% swing at everything and things are starting to fall into place. It's hard to go from a scratch junior to shooting in the 70's one day, 90's next. I feel like I am getting some sense of game back. Had 4 birds in a round over the weekend and haven't done that since high school tournament play.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't posted in my WITB a lot lately....mainly because I am busy with kids and haven't been playing a ton as well as some excavating, driveway, fence adding work at home.

My golf game has been in shambles. I have the last 3 weekends played and yet to break 85. I am avg. 2-3 fairways per round. Lack of practice.

But if you are interested, current setup as of yesterday:

Callaway Epic SZ 10.5 Kuro Kage Dual Core 60TX

M2 HL Matrix MFS X5 70X White Tie

Mizuno MP H4 2 iron Aldila NVS 105X

Titleist 909H 21* Speeder 904HB X

Ping Ie1 Nippon Modus 130S +1" Blue Dot 5-P

RTX 3 5010 V-MG Nippon Modus 130S

RTX 3 54.14 V-FG Nippon Modus 130S

RTX 3 58.12 V-FG Nippon Modus 130S

XENON HandMade Long Neck ~~~ New Handmade Xenon Coming Soon

Had the F7 5 wood and it's sweet. Really such a great club, but I was basically in position 1 time per round to use it (if I hit the fairway on that par 5) So on course it was swung 1 time in 3 rounds lol. Decided with my driver struggles, that I was going back to a 2 iron, but instead of dropping the hybrid as I have in the past, I am dropping the 4 iron. I don't think I have hit that club all season. Maybe a few times as a fairway finder off the tee, but if I am using it to find fairways, may as well go back to a 2 iron.

My gapping was kind of messed up is the big reason.

M2 HL - 260+ depending on how hard I go at it.

F7 5 wood - 245

21* Hybrid 240 yards

4 iron - 230 yards

5 iron - 225 yards

6 iron -210 yards

7 iron - 195 yards

I just didn't see the benefit to carry the 4 iron when I only hit it 5 yards further than the 5 iron. And the F7 fairway was only for help from the deck but I really don't need it that often. So I moved the F7 and snagged a MP H4 2 iron and will toy around with the new setup and see how it goes. As bad as my driving has been, I need that extra option off the tee more than I need another wood to hit from the fairway.

I'll just leave this right here

I agree, the best looking driving iron on the market. Is there that much of an improvement from the U45? I had that last year and didn't much care for it. I really wanted it to work for me. I keep wanting another one or the U65 because they look stellar.

Well I've never hit the U45 so I can't say if it's an improvement. I have a U65 3 with Myazaki Kalua 7 stiff flex shaft and for me is better than any hybrid off the deck and simply a fairway finder off the tee; it is certainly possible that it just fits my swing though. I wish they made it in a 2, and am trying to decide if I want a 4 and ditch the regular 4 iron.

I agree, the best looking driving iron on the market. Is there that much of an improvement from the U45? I had that last year and didn't much care for it. I really wanted it to work for me. I keep wanting another one or the U65 because they look stellar.

Well I've never hit the U45 so I can't say if it's an improvement. I have a U65 3 with Myazaki Kalua 7 stiff flex shaft and for me is better than any hybrid off the deck and simply a fairway finder off the tee; it is certainly possible that it just fits my swing though. I wish they made it in a 2, and am trying to decide if I want a 4 and ditch the regular 4 iron.

I didn't realize they didnt' make a U65 2. I had it in the 45. Granted I had it with the stock C-Taper (and I don't get along with KBS anyway) but I had that and a UDI 2 (same shaft) and it was night and day difference.

After doing some game analyzing about where my needs are, having a fairway finder is crucial. I have more need for that than a 4 iron. The 909H I have is perfect for 3 tee shots on my home course because of a creek that runs through the entire course. Yardage puts me in perfect position every time. So that had to go back in the bag. So I have been pulling the 4 iron for the 5W that I can use off the deck. My home course is 6700 from the back and really unless I hit a terrible tee shot, I am never at a distance where I need the club. I really have no use for it so decided to venture back down the DI path. My course is TROUBLE if you are crooked off the tee. Old style course and lots of hanging trees, even in the fairway if you are out of position, you have no shot. So I traded my 5 wood for the driving iron (I took a loss on the trade but really it was more about getting something that would benefit my needs so I don't consider it a loss). If I don't love this one, I will move it and try something else. Cobra King, Crossover, maybe a U45/U65 and try to find the right shaft pairing this time.

I didn't realize they didnt' make a U65 2. I had it in the 45. Granted I had it with the stock C-Taper (and I don't get along with KBS anyway) but I had that and a UDI 2 (same shaft) and it was night and day difference.

After doing some game analyzing about where my needs are, having a fairway finder is crucial. I have more need for that than a 4 iron. The 909H I have is perfect for 3 tee shots on my home course because of a creek that runs through the entire course. Yardage puts me in perfect position every time. So that had to go back in the bag. So I have been pulling the 4 iron for the 5W that I can use off the deck. My home course is 6700 from the back and really unless I hit a terrible tee shot, I am never at a distance where I need the club. I really have no use for it so decided to venture back down the DI path. My course is TROUBLE if you are crooked off the tee. Old style course and lots of hanging trees, even in the fairway if you are out of position, you have no shot. So I traded my 5 wood for the driving iron (I took a loss on the trade but really it was more about getting something that would benefit my needs so I don't consider it a loss). If I don't love this one, I will move it and try something else. Cobra King, Crossover, maybe a U45/U65 and try to find the right shaft pairing this time.

I'm starting to think shaft may be the most important piece. I really like the Miyazaki shaft in the U65, but not so much in the z565 iron heads. Good luck with finding the right thing that fits!

RK, I just noticed it looks like your back to the I E1s? What happened with the s55s?

Yeah I am back to the Ie1. There really was no performance benefit one way or the other for me. Both were great clubs. I was just more comfortable with the ie1 bc I played them all last year. My yardage gaps were good. I reshafted from MOdus 130X to 130S same exact specs as the s55. Played a few rounds I bagged both and just liked the looks of my ballflight better with teh Ie1.

Good for good, they were equal, about 1/2 club shorter with the s55. But for those off days, I liked the ie1 better. Both fantastic clubs. I needed the extra cash for some excavation and putting up a fence at my house so i let the s55 go.

Interesting how such different club designs produced such similar results. Have you bagged the iBlades at all?

not bagged them but did hit them at miles of golf in my exact setup.

Honestly didn't love them. They were fine but if you offered me a free set no strings attached, I would take the s55, i200 and ie1 over the iblades every time.

Interesting how such different club designs produced such similar results. Have you bagged the iBlades at all?

not bagged them but did hit them at miles of golf in my exact setup.

Honestly didn't love them. They were fine but if you offered me a free set no strings attached, I would take the s55, i200 and ie1 over the iblades every time.

Wow, that’s interesting. Especially considering how many Tour Pros have switched from the 55s to iBlades. But then again, its my understanding that the I e1s are still pretty popular on the Euro tour.

I have always bagged Mizzy MPs and I am enjoying my MP4s right now, but have had a Ho’ish itch to give a Ping offering a go lately… I am wondering if the 400 series will lower prices any.

I played mizuno irons basically my whole life. Until I got fit into ping, I would have never thought.

I am really happy since converting over to Ping. You can't go wrong with the Ie1, i200 or the s55 in my mind. Some people love the iblades and based on looks, I would bag them in a second. Probably one of my favorite clubs to come out in years visually. When I swung them, I was not really a fan. But with the s55, it was almost love at first swing. Same with the Ie1. Really really like them. I am always tempted by new stuff though. But I have zero reason to switch.

I played mizuno irons basically my whole life. Until I got fit into ping, I would have never thought.

I am really happy since converting over to Ping. You can't go wrong with the Ie1, i200 or the s55 in my mind. Some people love the iblades and based on looks, I would bag them in a second. Probably one of my favorite clubs to come out in years visually. When I swung them, I was not really a fan. But with the s55, it was almost love at first swing. Same with the Ie1. Really really like them. I am always tempted by new stuff though. But I have zero reason to switch.

Yep, that’s me. I’ve bagged a set of 33s, 57s, 62s (that are now on the BST) and now the 4s. There’s nothing not to love. Beautiful and I have no trouble hitting them.

Regardless, I’ve still been on a Ping iron kick after switching over to the LS Tec driver and now glide wedges en route. It just doesn’t seem right to be playing the chrome 4s followed by glide wedges, lol.

I actually set out to find some s59s or 57s on the cheap, but was told they are non-conforming. Huge let down as they are significantly more affordable.

I’ve been told the s series and iBlades both have the same (or very close to) feel of a Mizuno or other high end forging. Do you believe this to be true? Tough to imagine from a cast head…

Yep, that’s me. I’ve bagged a set of 33s, 57s, 62s (that are now on the BST) and now the 4s. There’s nothing not to love. Beautiful and I have no trouble hitting them.

Regardless, I’ve still been on a Ping iron kick after switching over to the LS Tec driver and now glide wedges en route. It just doesn’t seem right to be playing the chrome 4s followed by glide wedges, lol.

I actually set out to find some s59s or 57s on the cheap, but was told they are non-conforming. Huge let down as they are significantly more affordable.

I’ve been told the s series and iBlades both have the same (or very close to) feel of a Mizuno or other high end forging. Do you believe this to be true? Tough to imagine from a cast head…

Yeah it kind of started with the G30 for me. Got it as a tee prize in an outing (first ever ping club) then went to the G LS and went to the fitting. Had me looking somewhere I never would have guessed.

**FLAME SUIT ON** The s55 are some of the best feeling irons on the market....period. I don't care if they are cast or forged. Do yourself a favor and pick some up of the BST cheap and just give them a run. I promise you will not be disappointed. I didn't think the iblades felt as good but that is just me. The s55 feel better than my ie1, I just feel like bc I launch the ball low to begin with, I got a touch higher launch with the Ie1. Suits my game better.

Loved the glides, but I prefer to flight my wedges low. RTX-3 seemed to be a really good fit for me there.

The only knock on Ping Irons is the clanking of cast when I walk. Performance and feel, I love them.

Cool thanks for the input. Surprisingly, I can't find much info on the iBlade other than a 57 reply thread. Usually these kind of release get the WRX-proclaimed "official thread" with hundreds of responses...

People love them from what I gather, but I am not in that camp. Thats why there are 100s of models on the market. There is no one size fits all. Something that feels good to you may feel like s*** to me. Some people like swinging rebar, I don't. Best thing to do is hit some yourself. They are pretty cheap now. I just sold my heads for $250 and kept the Modus 130S shafts for the next set I want to test out. Hard to find overlength Modus 130 at my specs, so I just kept them and sold the heads. There are deals out there.

Cool thanks for the input. Surprisingly, I can't find much info on the iBlade other than a 57 reply thread. Usually these kind of release get the WRX-proclaimed "official thread" with hundreds of responses...

People love them from what I gather, but I am not in that camp. Thats why there are 100s of models on the market. There is no one size fits all. Something that feels good to you may feel like s*** to me. Some people like swinging rebar, I don't. Best thing to do is hit some yourself. They are pretty cheap now. I just sold my heads for $250 and kept the Modus 130S shafts for the next set I want to test out. Hard to find overlength Modus 130 at my specs, so I just kept them and sold the heads. There are deals out there.

Yep, I'm thinking about giving it a shot. Just got to get a few items moved I've got listed, though. If I can get the 62 heads or my G30 3wood sold, I am all over it lol. Thanks again for the help!