Bend, OR Trip

Jwowzer

Hi all,

I'm planning a 3 day weekend to Bend in July and was looking to play golf while there. I'll have my wife in tow, so I'll only be able to play once, maybe twice if I can convince her.

What are the ones I need to play? I was thinking Pronghorn for sure (not sure on which course) and possibly Tetherow as my second round of possible.

Does anyone have any experience playing down there or opinions on the courses or if I am completely wrong in my hunt for spectacular golf?

The rest of the time is planned to be at a bar stool enjoying the various breweries in the area.

Thanks!

917D3 8.5* Atmos Blue 6X
917F2 15* Motore Speeder 7.2 X
915Hd 20.5* Rogue Black 85 S
716 AP2 4-PW Project X LZ 5.5 tipped .5"
Vokey SM6 50.12* F, TVD 54* K 58* K
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 2 KBS Tour Custom Black/Blue 34"

There is so much information on Bend here that it boggles the mind.

Take the time to search this forum (not Bend, but the particular courses). I even started a lengthy thread about my trip there. Much of the information was gathered from prior posts and people posting in my thread.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/943849-two-trips-to-southern-oregon/page__hl__%20aspen%20%20lakes

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

Thanks! I appreciate it! I had a few coworkers who went to bend for golf, so hoping to pick their brains as well.

917D3 8.5* Atmos Blue 6X
917F2 15* Motore Speeder 7.2 X
915Hd 20.5* Rogue Black 85 S
716 AP2 4-PW Project X LZ 5.5 tipped .5"
Vokey SM6 50.12* F, TVD 54* K 58* K
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 2 KBS Tour Custom Black/Blue 34"

played Pronghorn Nicklaus & Fazio, Aspen Lakes, Juniper, and Tetherow.

Liked the Nicklaus course and Juniper (which almost plays like a desert course).

Aspen Lakes was fun. The Fazio course was okay.

Did not like Tetherow.

None of these courses are 'spectacular' (if measured by Bandon or Monterey standards).

How did you get on the Fazio course?

If cost is no concern, I'd play Pronghorn Nicklaus and Tetherow. I've played all the central Oregon courses and there are lots of good ones, but those are the two public courses I'd recommend.

I should clarify that I was working under the assumption that Pronghorn Fazio wasn't an option since it's private and you'd need a connection to get on. I like Fazio better than Nicklaus but Nicklaus is still real good. Also was assuming Crosswater was out for the same reason and since it sounds like you aren't staying at the Sunriver lodge.

here's a vote for rivers edge! this is my 2nd trip to bend, and i only play the edge cuz it is a fantastic layout! every hole is a scenic pleasure to play!

Another course I was intending to mention if you don't want to spend over $175 a round.

Widgi Creek is a great lower cost course. Probably my favorite of the less expensive courses.

I have played Pronghorn Nicklaus and loved it. Widgi Creek is a good cheaper course.

Other good courses in the area but not right in Bend are Juniper (arguably the best value-for-quality course), Crooked River, Aspen Lakes, and either course at Black Butte Ranch.

You really can't go wrong anywhere to play golf in the Bend/Sisters/Redmond area. The golf is all good

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

played juniper yesterday to see what the fuss was all about...while it is a nice course, i found that every hole looked the same, and pretty much played the same, which pulled down the interest a bit for me, and, of course, different strokes for different folks, etc etc etc...so now i've played rivers edge and juniper, and for a 3-4 round vacation i'd be playing rivers edge 3 of those rounds, and maybe try something different the other round...

golfnow has rivers edge at about $23 at 11:51 most days, plus cart...amazing layout, imho...

not saying juniper aint nice, it just, i dont know, lacked something, and my playing partner said the same thing...if i lived in bend and played 100 rounds a year like i do in austin, i bet 80 of those rounds would be at rivers edge...

played juniper yesterday to see what the fuss was all about...while it is a nice course, i found that every hole looked the same, and pretty much played the same, which pulled down the interest a bit for me, and, of course, different strokes for different folks, etc etc etc...so now i've played rivers edge and juniper, and for a 3-4 round vacation i'd be playing rivers edge 3 of those rounds, and maybe try something different the other round...

golfnow has rivers edge at about $23 at 11:51 most days, plus cart...amazing layout, imho...

not saying juniper aint nice, it just, i dont know, lacked something, and my playing partner said the same thing...if i lived in bend and played 100 rounds a year like i do in austin, i bet 80 of those rounds would be at rivers edge...

After you play quite a few of the other courses I'd say Rivers Edge would drop to around 20-25 rounds

Bill's preferences may be due to the fairly flat topography around the Austin area where he lives.

Thus, elevation changes are likely out of his ordinary golfing experience. River's Edge certainly is full of elevation changes so suits his visual likes.

He played a couple of hilly courses in the S.F. Bay Area, Hiddenbrooke and Rancho Solano, and seemed to enjoy those as well.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

I played there yesterday as well and I would not say that most holes look the same. But, to each their own.

• 5 years later...

I know this is an old thread, hoping some of the original posters are still around-

I'm looking at planning a trip to Bend and trying to decide between staying at Pronghorn or Sun River. The benefit of staying at Sun River being we would get on Crosswater, although some of the guys going are saying the other two courses there aren't anything special (could litigate that later). I'm trying to figure out if staying at Pronghorn allows you onto the Fazio course or if that's something you need to cross your fingers, ask your home pro to pull some strings, etc.?

Ignoring thoughts on the other Sun River course- does anyone know definitively if staying there gets you on the Faz? I can call and ask as well, but figured I'd try and crowd source first.

Edited by kaschreiber

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

1 hour ago, kaschreiber said:

I know this is an old thread, hoping some of the original posters are still around-

I'm looking at planning a trip to Bend and trying to decide between staying at Pronghorn or Sun River. The benefit of staying at Sun River being we would get on Crosswater, although some of the guys going are saying the other two courses there aren't anything special (could litigate that later). I'm trying to figure out if staying at Pronghorn allows you onto the Fazio course or if that's something you need to cross your fingers, ask your home pro to pull some strings, etc.?

Ignoring thoughts on the other Sun River course- does anyone know definitively if staying there gets you on the Faz? I can call and ask as well, but figured I'd try and crowd source first.

-Fazio is not incuded.  You would have to ask to get on and play in the mid afternoon if it worked out.  Plus you have to take forecaddies....so it adds a bit to the expense.

I would always stay at Sunriver for many reasons:  Closer to Bend w/ actual ability to catch Lyft/Uber - they won't go out to Pronghorn after certain times.   Better environment (woods vs desert); plenty to do in Sunriver. There is nothing wrong with the other courses at Sunriver.  etc etc

19 hours ago, kaschreiber said:

When are you going?

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

Both courses at Pronghorn are good, maybe a little bit better than Crosswater, but not by much.  The Woodlands and Meadows courses at Sunriver are definitely worth playing.  I'd probably lean towards Crosswater and the Sunriver courses for the reasons that others have said above, but you can't go wrong either way.  If you're thinking fall of next year, Sunriver often runs some fantastic fall promotions where you can get lodging and unlimited golf for as low as $99 per person per night, including one round at Crosswater.  See https://www.sunriverresort.com/offers/special-offer-unlimited-golf-stay-play-package for details.

All helpful- thanks. We'll likely try and get a hour in SR, so not sure if the stay and plays apply (looks like you need to stay in the lodge). Hit some combination of Pronghorn/Juniper/Tetherow on day of arrival and departure and the SR courses in the interim.

I've played Tetherow and would rather play Juniper based on value, but there are others in our group that likely want to check that off the list. Have yet to see Pronghorn but heard nothing but good things and haven't played any of the SR courses.

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist ProV1

45 minutes ago, Seamus_MacDuff said:

You likely already know this, but to play Crosswater you need to be guest of Sunriver Resort itself.  Renting a house in Sunriver from a private party will not get you access to Crosswater.

Good call, and thanks. I remember this but it hadn't been top of mind while looking at houses. Appreciate you bringing it up!

Edited by kaschreiber

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist ProV1