For those that have applied the GG pivot

Kuuuch

I've had my struggles implementing this method but I jumped on a launch monitor today for the first time since working on this pivot.

Previous swing speeds (from April):

6 iron - 90mph

Driver - 110mph

From today:

6 iron - 94mph

Driver - 117mph

that's great improvement

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

You know, at a few weeks from 42, I wonder how well this family of swing ideas ages. Like, would I have to do something else as I approached 55-60?

It's weird, it seems almost like those high octane swing styles, the types that wouldn't age well. Almost, but not quite.

Anybody understand what I mean, or am I clear as mud?

Thanks, I'm very pleased with those numbers.

Unfortunately I've added a ton of spin to my driver for some reason so need to work on getting that down again, I've not actually gained any distance off the tee yet because the spin has gotten really high.

Are you still using the same driver and hitting it close to the middle of the face? Your impact dynamics (dynamic loft, attack angle) could be completely different as well as the 7 mph more clubhead speed.

Unfortunately I've added a ton of spin to my driver for some reason so need to work on getting that down again, I've not actually gained any distance off the tee yet because the spin has gotten really high.

Are you still using the same driver and hitting it close to the middle of the face? Your impact dynamics (dynamic loft, attack angle) could be completely different as well as the 7 mph more clubhead speed.

Yes same driver and bar a couple of heel shots I'm generally hitting it in the middle of the face.

I hope I don't need a new fitting I only bought this one a few months ago!

You know, at a few weeks from 42, I wonder how well this family of swing ideas ages. Like, would I have to do something else as I approached 55-60?

It's weird, it seems almost like those high octane swing styles, the types that wouldn't age well. Almost, but not quite.

I will be 56 next month. I started playing golf exactly at your current age.

I'm 58....put together a sim room up here in the frozen north after deciding I was going to find something that will make golf fun again. Bounced thru the various hot topic swings all winter with nothing really turning the light bulb on for me.......gave it up as the planting season kicked off. I had seen the GG pivot thrown in on a few threads, I've always loved Snead--have a collection of his books, 8mm vid............and it finally dawned on me this action is based on Sneads action, but with more explanation

Long story short.....went from not being able to hit it out of a barn door........to after 2 weeks of working on this---getting some distance back that I haven't had since my 40's................

Biggest problem I'm encountering is it is increasing my dynamic loft on my irons.....flight way too high. Turn harder I guess, Getting the club handle out in front ---usually involved pulling down on it for me---a no go in this swing --out of sync right away.

I'm 58....put together a sim room up here in the frozen north after deciding I was going to find something that will make golf fun again. Bounced thru the various hot topic swings all winter with nothing really turning the light bulb on for me.......gave it up as the planting season kicked off. I had seen the GG pivot thrown in on a few threads, I've always loved Snead--have a collection of his books, 8mm vid............and it finally dawned on me this action is based on Sneads action, but with more explanation

Long story short.....went from not being able to hit it out of a barn door........to after 2 weeks of working on this---getting some distance back that I haven't had since my 40's................

Biggest problem I'm encountering is it is increasing my dynamic loft on my irons.....flight way too high. Turn harder I guess, Getting the club handle out in front ---usually involved pulling down on it for me---a no go in this swing --out of sync right away.

may well be to do with the club being too open at p6, if its too open you will use your hands to square the face, if its about 25 degrees the same as your spine angle its easier to turn through as the face doesn't need manipulating

https://www.facebook.com/ggswingtips/videos/1539827979647248/

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

interesting what he says here

regarding the pelvis, mine definitely gets too low and stays on the left side rather than the big turn going 'up' he talks about.

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

may well be to do with the club being too open at p6, if its too open you will use your hands to square the face, if its about 25 degrees the same as your spine angle its easier to turn through as the face doesn't need manipulating

https://www.facebook...39827979647248/

Appreciate the input and link..............and yet the goal of getting shallow seems to conflict.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIBsCd0hu1f/?taken-by=ggswingtips

What I like about this swing is forgetting about hand manipulation.......

GG has on his paid site a section on dynamic loft, which concentrates on staying lower and turning harder.............hard for a "old guy" LOL ....with no ACL's

interesting what he says here

regarding the pelvis, mine definitely gets too low and stays on the left side rather than the big turn going 'up' he talks about.

https://www.facebook...39827979647248/

Appreciate the input and link..............and yet the goal of getting shallow seems to conflict.

https://www.instagra...-by=ggswingtips

What I like about this swing is forgetting about hand manipulation.......

GG has on his paid site a section on dynamic loft, which concentrates on staying lower and turning harder.............hard for a "old guy" LOL ....with no ACL's

If you have left knee pain or injuries, I would recommend setting up with the left foot flared somewhat to the target. Let the left heel slightly lift on the backswing, and then when starting the downswing pivot-squat flex into right knee, rotate the left toes (along with the left knee) somewhat more towards the target. Try to feel weight shifting to outer three left toes first and then plant the left heel at P6- feel the weight in the heel and the outer side of left foot as it is planted (for me it feels almost like a left foot dance move when doing it in front of a mirror). At the finish, the left toes should almost feel like they are floating up in the air- sort of like Jordan Spieth). This alleviates the pressure from a 'torqued' left knee and also has the added benefit of making it easier to do the pelvic uppercut 'kick-up' thrust towards the target for more power and trajectory control. It is an optional move, but this is what GG (Q and A Session) says that he personally tries to do in his own swing- for the kick-up benefits and speed. I think it is easier to ingrain this move- without golf spikes- while monitoring positions and feels in the mirror. Also...you do not have to lift your left heel very much (not as much as GG) to perform this move.

Yes same driver and bar a couple of heel shots I'm generally hitting it in the middle of the face.

I hope I don't need a new fitting I only bought this one a few months ago!

The heel hits will add spin but if you better swings at center contact are spinning more then you need to be re-fit. 7 mph of clubhead speed is a completely different animal (1-3 is not ... that's more like daily fluctuations).

Watch this video. I think you will see significant differences in GG's stock swing hip parameters as delineated by the golf balls placed on the ground. IMO, there is less lateral and more rotatory motion in the GG downswing compared to Percy Boomer's famous "swinging in the barrel" concept. During the GG downswing, the left hip turns external and back. The pelvis even 'appears' to back up some before ground pressure is used for a GG pelvic thrust & kick-up towards the target. These are exaggerations that will not be as obvious when taking a full speed swing.

[media=]

[/media]

Watch this video. I think you will see significant differences in GG's stock swing hip parameters as delineated by the golf balls placed on the ground. IMO, there is less lateral and more rotatory motion in the GG downswing compared to Percy Boomer's famous "swinging in the barrel" concept. During the GG downswing, the left hip turns external and back. The pelvis even 'appears' to back up some before ground pressure is used for a GG pelvic thrust & kick-up towards the target. These are exaggerations that will not be as obvious when taking a full speed swing.

[media=]

[/media]

That pelvic backup you talked about was the exact feel I would use to create that GG pivot action. Kinda like K. Miyahira's tailbone back move. If I try to feel sitting into the right or external rotation of the left leg/knee, I get stuck in the squat position and get no rotation.

Any idea on thin shots with this pivot? Do I need to make sure I am adding some right lateral bend or am I kicking up to early? I am hitting the ball extremely well, but every once in a while I top an iron or hit a couple thin shots in row, never fat.

Focusing on getting the left hip lower for longer through impact helped me with the thin shots

Is this pivot not very related to what Kelvin is trying to say here in a ridiculously long and confusing post? Why when I took a lesson and tried to consciously do the elbow move and not think about my hips, my swing was an early extension OTT disaster. Then, all I thought about were my hips and the swing almost looked like a "real swing" with the right elbow move seemingly happening automatically. Pay attention to the middle of this article where I really think it gets to the crux of the matter: Fascia Connections and the Spiral Line/Right Elbow Move. Is the proper hip movement/pivot setting up the whole swing properly and letting the rest of the swing happen almost "automatically?" I know on here we have sort of gone away from thinking about the hips but what if the proper movement of the hips is more than just the "right thing to do," if you know what I mean, but really creates a true physiologically full body chain reaction due to these connections. Also, if you've never used your hips before, maybe you have to consciously think about them more vs. someone who is truly athletic with a baseball background who is already subconsciously using his hips a lot more than a moderately athletic guy that has traditionally never used his hips properly in baseball or golf and been completely upper body dominant. (me in other words).

http://www.kelvinmiy...in-a-golf-swing

Yeah Kelvin and GG stuff are similar.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Any idea on thin shots with this pivot? Do I need to make sure I am adding some right lateral bend or am I kicking up to early? I am hitting the ball extremely well, but every once in a while I top an iron or hit a couple thin shots in row, never fat.

I had this miss, seems the intent of squatting needs to be a part of the move. I feel it's more of maintaining knee flex throughout, to not stand up on the left leg.

The other fault that plays into thin shots for me was going off plane with shoulders, a sense of 'chest at ball through the swing' helped quite a bit.

Last pair of nines I played was 3 over for each which is great for me, however the miss I do maintain is pull/draw and that seems to be more a timing issue at transition.

Last Saturday missed a putt on 18 to break my low round, really thought I was getting somewhere with slow turning feeling. 5 birdies on back nine. Next couple of times out was not good, very inconsistent. Need to work more with maintaining width and full shoulder turn then squat in transition. Need to get rid of the hit impulse. Going to get back to basics. Really lack consistency of ball striking. Refocused and worked on no throws and squatting more to keep my left leg from extending in transition. Hit 7 of 9 greens next time out one was just off fringe. Need to work a lot more on these drills changes are not coming fast. Of course I feel like I make a big change and very little changes.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60