2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

For those that have applied the GG pivot

Kuuuch

Andrew Rice explaining the GG pivot:

[media=]

[/media]

Huh ?

"the hip SLIDE...and why it is SO important!" ...

I noticed that Andrew Rice video as well- from 6 years ago- pretty hilarious! Golf theory and instruction is always changing. Resistance is futile. Most instructors are sure that what they currently teach is the 'correct' way. Just like doctors, nutritionists, and environmentalists. Golf Digest and Golf Channel will sooner or later start talking about the 'evil' slide. Micheal Breed will probably write a book soon on the 'new pivot' and 'rotational swing' and talk about the left knee every week on the GC. LOL.

[media=]

[/media]

Huh ?

[media=]

[/media]

Those are the two most contradicting videos I have ever seen. Made me laugh though.

And we wonder why golf is hard ?!!?!? Maybe they are two different teachers teaching two different philosophies ?...Andy Rice and Andrew Rice ? Separated at birth ? :russian_roulette:

[media=]

[/media]

Huh ?

Those are the two most contradicting videos I have ever seen. Made me laugh though.

In fairness, they're directed at different golfers. He even said that you might as well stop watching the rotational vid if it wasn't for your particular issue.

Didn't hogan say he felt his hips turn in a barrel? Ie very rotational no slide?

He might of .I know Sam Snead said that..

Finding I get good to great results with this GG move when my intent is to only rotate left knee down to the target. If I do only that which is maybe what is only required I avoid pulls or thin misses.Hip rotation feels more "in the barrel".Squat naturally happens because of knee separation.

Huh ?

In fairness, they're directed at different golfers. He even said that you might as well stop watching the rotational vid if it wasn't for your particular issue.

Not picking on Andrew. I like him. But...three years ago, he advocated a big slide for everyone:

Hip slide- good or bad?

http://www.andrewricegolf.com/andrew-rice-golf/2010/03/hip-slide-good-or-bad

[media=]

[/media]

Huh ?

Not picking on Andrew. I like him. But...three years ago, he advocated a big slide for everyone:

[media=]

[/media]

He would probably still stand by the quote today. Pretty hard to find one that doesn't have some shift to lead side. Doesn't have to be a big shift but there is some movement back to lead side.

Andrew's a smart guy:

Learning golf (and I'm sure teaching it, at times) can be a very Hegelian experience.

Ping g430max 10k 10.5*- rogue white 130 60tx
sim2ti 15* - speeder evo 3 757x
ping g425 20.5* - rogue 125 80tx
4-gw ap1 jpx921 hm/hm pro - 120x1’s
 sm5 56.10 - s400ti
sm8 60m - s400ti
piretti potenza ii 365g 34"

He would probably still stand by the quote today. Pretty hard to find one that doesn't have some shift to lead side. Doesn't have to be a big shift but there is some movement back to lead side.

To be fair to Andrew (who loves to learn and asks a lot of great questions), he taught a very wide range of players down at Berkley Hall and he saw a lot of them struggle with reverse pivot and steep downswings. At least by getting these people to move to their left side during the downswing they had some hope of compressing the ball and making decent contact. A lot of what high handicappers struggle with vs better players seem a bit conflicting.

Also in the last few years with pressure mats becoming much more popular and a lot more data available, I think instructors are starting to understand just how the best players actually move and swing versus what it looks like to the eye or camera / how to initiate these moves in the players they teach.

Had a lesson today, have been coming a little too much from the inside and miss has been overdrawing the irons and blocks with driver.

2 things. 1st, swing doesn't need to shorten I just need to keep my width at the top, I never noticed but I get a little extra hinge at the top and drops my club a little past where I want it to be. Can lead to being narrow and my body reacts by dropping right shoulder. Instant feedback on contact with that which was cool.

2nd, since I like to drop the right shoulder, focus is getting weight hard into left heel while externally rotating right knee. I accomplished what I wanted with that feel, I couldn't consistently feel as though the left hip was below right in transition like GG talks about, didn't click for me. Instant results on rotation, will take time for sure to get that feel comfortable. I believe I was popping left side up too much when sitting in the right.

[media=]

[/media]

Huh ?

This 100%. He clearly said in the later video that it was only geared toward better players who tend to slide and get too much in to out. I dunno why everyone is saying is contadictory, different issues need different fixes.

Had a lesson today, have been coming a little too much from the inside and miss has been overdrawing the irons and blocks with driver.

2 things. 1st, swing doesn't need to shorten I just need to keep my width at the top, I never noticed but I get a little extra hinge at the top and drops my club a little past where I want it to be. Can lead to being narrow and my body reacts by dropping right shoulder. Instant feedback on contact with that which was cool.

2nd, since I like to drop the right shoulder, focus is getting weight hard into left heel while externally rotating right knee. I accomplished what I wanted with that feel, I couldn't consistently feel as though the left hip was below right in transition like GG talks about, didn't click for me. Instant results on rotation, will take time for sure to get that feel comfortable. I believe I was popping left side up too much when sitting in the right.

Lesson with local pro??

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

Lesson with local pro??

Yep, like in my OP very similar teachings to what GG advocates. He taught at pinehurst for the majority of his career and is now close to me. I think I posted this earlier but when I first started working on GG's legwork I came to him for a lesson to see how things looked and he said great but how did your leg work change, in a good way. That's when I described what I had been working on and he really liked it. The bucket between the legs drill was nothing new to him but he liked what I told him. If I wasn't on the other side of the US there's no doubt I'd be going to see GG.

It's been such a hit or miss. I have one fantastic round hitting a ton of greens, then the next day I'm topping shots at the range. Pretty sure that I'm missing a piece but can't get my brain to perform it consistently. My pattern is back getting bunched up at impact, arms getting stuck behind, then stalling/coming out of the shot. Working on keeping the right leg external, width with the upper body, and reducing linear motion/lateral movement..

GG did a Facebook live chat for the member site and basically said he doesn't teach a pattern but instead match ups and tailors to player tendencies. Stressed there's a lot of different ways to shallow and used Ruiz vs Wolff as two players who have similar looking swings but shallow differently.

What I took away from it is there's just some components he likes to see. I.e. Shallow the shaft, rotate through, control the face without manipulation and have a full release (instead of holding the wedge). Just my $.02. Membership site has tons of good stuff if you want to get deep

Will you shills please stop pushing this move on the good men and women of this site? A swing thought of " internal, external, flexion, squat, suppination, keep arms up, laid off, turn slow, push up off the ground, slam knees together, pure" is not a recipe for success for the average golfer.

Don't come in here posting crap looking to stir a pot. If you don't like the ideas move along. Everyone can make the decision on their own to try and implement the instruction discussed in this thread.

Will you shills please stop pushing this move on the good men and women of this site? A swing thought of " internal, external, flexion, squat, suppination, keep arms up, laid off, turn slow, push up off the ground, slam knees together, pure" is not a recipe for success for the average golfer.

Why don't you crawl back under your rock.

Just checking back in from under my rock... I'm not trying to fight with you guys, you've already wasted your time with this move. I'm concerned with helping the other guys on here that might be thinking about trying to implement what will probably amount to a total tear down/rebuild of their swing. So, to those guys....it's not worth it. Thats it, I'm done, I'll leave u guys alone now. BUT let's keep an eye on this thread so we can revisit it when all you GG and DD disciples realize you've been duped and are back searching for the next "magic" move. Good luck!!

While it is probably true that this is too much for the "average" golfer, I assume the people reading this thread, if they are anything like me, have a very specific, recurring, intractable swing flaw that this may address. From reading others' posts and seeing videos, it seems that many do what I do - take the club back too far inside, move too much laterally toward the target in the downswing, dump the right shoulder under, and have to stall and flip to square the clubface. I can see all of this on video, and have tried many different lessons/intents to fix it with nothing to show for it. Given that the conventional approach isn't working, instead of banging my head against the wall doing the same thing over and over without results, trying a different approach seems appropriate, doesn't it? Also, for me the process of learning more about the swing and getting better is part of the fun, so even if I don't end up successful with this move I've enjoyed spending time on it (which is what a hobby is for, after all).

Just checking back in from under my rock... I'm not trying to fight with you guys, you've already wasted your time with this move. I'm concerned with helping the other guys on here that might be thinking about trying to implement what will probably amount to a total tear down/rebuild of their swing. So, to those guys....it's not worth it. Thats it, I'm done, I'll leave u guys alone now. BUT let's keep an eye on this thread so we can revisit it when all you GG and DD disciples realize you've been duped and are back searching for the next "magic" move. Good luck!!

I don't think anyone in this thread is looking for a "magic move." Instead, we (if I may lump us together) are looking to improve our current swing and we are working hard to do so. At least, I know I am. Slow motion work, video feedback, range work, and of course applying the "magic move" during an actual round.

Further, if you've truly been following along you should know well by now that even GG himself doesn't teach a single individual "magic move." He teaches his take on the pivot and wants his players to use match-ups rather than preach "you must have this grip, this backswing, etc this and that."

I want to be more consistent, hit the ball farther, and score lower than I have in the past. Implementing GGs philosophy will help get me there, I'm confident of this.

Anybody who thinks there's one "magic move" is kidding themselves and should probably move on from the game of golf because they're going to be greatly disappointed.

Really don't think someone named llcoolj11 deserves a response, that being said good to know he is still alive. If you can call NCIS-Los Angeles surviving.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

I'll add that I don't even look at it as a "GG pivot" as much as his way of teaching fundamentals. Start the transition from the hips and legs, don't be steep in the DS, rotate through the ball (not swipe at it with the arms), turn don't sway. This is all solid stuff, and not, to my mind controversial or new. GG's message and delivery may accent different things. Also don't forget a lot of the IG stuff is directed at a particular student or problem.

M6 10.5
M4 3W
Titleist 816h 21
CF19 5-AW
SM6 54 & Cally PM 60
Byron Morgan 612
V1X/ERC Soft

Ahh this damn game!

I started working on the GG moves a little while ago and while range results were promising I was absolutely terrible on the course, like seriously bad.

So I decided that I would revisit it later in the year and work on this in the winter, as it was too much of a revamp of my swing to do mid-season.

Head out to play today. Dreadful for the front 9. For some reason I decide to go back to the GG pivot for the back 9... And shoot my best ever 9 hole score including 3 birdies and 2 lipped out birdie putts.

Then just to make sure I didn't come away feeling totally enthused and happy again the golfing gods made me shank one on 18.