For those that have applied the GG pivot

Kuuuch

When I first saw the "GG pivot drill" I thought it was a radical departure from normal or correct. I soon recognized that like "no turn / cast", drills are meant to overcome the "feel isn't real" reality to get the player to the right place.

As an arm overrun, inside takeaway, hip slider who can shoot good scores when my timing is on and struggles when it's not, I decided to dedicate some time to see what impact GG's drills would have on my swing.

After several weeks of at home drills and range time, I hit 6/7 fairways and 7/9 greens on the front nine yesterday playing with the three best players in my men's club. The two missed greens were pured approaches that went long. I shot 38 with a 3-putt. I cannot emphasize enough how badly I putted on this day. I had less than 12' on the first 5 holes for birdies and did not make any of them. I had three 3-putts and a 4-putt in the round. Putting is normally a strength. It was bizarre and frustrating.

I shot a terrible 46 on the back. I hit 6/7 fairways on the back. I hit zero greens and was admittedly flag hunting on a day when I had no short game because I'm...dumb. Instead of just hitting my approaches like I did on the front I started rehearsing the transition and thinking technically. On the greens the hole felt tiny (one of those days). I doubled a par 5 from 15' left in two. It was that kind of nine.

Here's what I took from the experience: I hit more pured shots than I can remember in a very long time. Playing with good players who I've played a lot of golf with, I went from typically being slightly behind them off the tee to slightly outdriving them all day (on 18, the 1-handicap got me by 5' and said "I finally got one past you"). I hit one shot left all day, which was a toe strike. I usually fight a left shot. Everyone in the group commented on the change in my motion and how solid it looked. I gained yardage on all clubs while feeling no active hand motion and had trouble clubbing, especially with a 15mph wind all day. It was hard not to slip back into my old motion over the course of the round, especially when I got in my own way by changing my focus to my score after putting up a 38 on the front. 38 was the worst score I could shoot with the way I was striking the ball. The mental mistakes blew up my round on the back. My pitching, chipping and putting was the worst I've experienced in I don't know how long. My poor Tour Black #8 is paying the price in the closet and the #7 Tank is back in, purely for a "reset" mentally on my putting.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

Finding it absolutely crucial to feel like the left hip is above the right in transition. For someone who is prone to dropping the right shoulder its a must.

Doesn't he want the left hip to feel below the right, offset by some right side bend?

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

I've been practicing the GG pivot for about a month now with nice results (including a better feeling back) but I can't seam to shake the low cuts with 6I to Driver. I prefer a high fade or straight.

Has anyone experienced this and how have you overcome it...any GG drills I should spend more time on, certain ball position, feels, stance?

Juat a note but before the GG pivot I did fight OTT and getting off the back leg.

I've been practicing the GG pivot for about a month now with nice results (including a better feeling back) but I can't seam to shake the low cuts with 6I to Driver. I prefer a high fade or straight.

Has anyone experienced this and how have you overcome it...any GG drills I should spend more time on, certain ball position, feels, stance?

Juat a note but before the GG pivot I did fight OTT and getting off the back leg.

For me when I try to turn to fast I get the low cuts. Heath told me this months ago, you have to feel like you are actually turn slower.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

Played in a tournament this weekend. Really pleased with my ball striking. Wasn't perfect for sure but had a lot of good shots. Driver was really good. When I missed it was pretty easy to tell why. That part is what I like the best. The point where I can diagnose my misses on the course. Excited to continue on working on this.

Vokeys SM9 56,60

Took an in person lesson from GG recently and thought some of the tips he gave me might help someone out. Tried out his pivot previously, I went from shooting in the low 90's to shooting in the 80's pretty quickly. Then I completely lost the swing and couldn't break 100. One of my rounds was a 108 over 17 holes (I skipped one hole because of an important phone call).

Here's my swing 2 days before my lesson:

https://www.youtube....h?v=QcHt38tdUOU

My swing during the lesson:

https://www.instagra.../p/BHqYLnujT1P/

I hit that ball a little fat and don't have full control of my clubface yet.

I told GG that I traveled quite a bit to get to him and per my request, he indulged me and give me a lot of stuff to work. I literally took 5 swings during the lesson with one of them being a freezer. **edit** I meant to say I hit 5 balls. I took a bunch of practice swings. **edit**

What I need to work on:

1. Setup posture. I was too far bent over and my armpits were past my knees. It's hard to see on my before video but I have a pivot stall near impact and the setup posture helped fix that.
  2. My head sways too far back in the backswing. You can't see from the DTL video but from FO, my address head position and backswing head position barely overlap.
  3. My backswing was just not very good for his swing. This I can't really explain but he put my body into the correct position and I can remember how my body should feel at the top. This didn't really take more than 1 or 2 tries for me to get it. I guess I learn quickly when someone physically puts me in the right static position.
  4. This is more of 3A but fairly important for me. I had good legwork but he told me that without being in the proper position at top, the pivot isn't going to be effective.
  5. My head moves too far forward on the downswing and I need more right side bend.
  6. I need to get more weight at my left heel at impact instead in the middle of my foot. Need to practice a lot of impact drills, especially since my face control / impact sucks right now

GG seems like a really solid guy and I hope to get back over there when I can. GG definitely knows his stuff and I was impressed. He let me direct how the lesson would go and as you can tell, this wasn't a normal lesson. I'm probably sabotaging myself with information overload but I'm happy with how it went. There's nothing he told me that I hadn't seen in his videos but it's different when I know X is going wrong and it's because I'm doing Y. Golf isn't the most intuitive sport. Anyway, I would recommend seeing him and for me personally, I wouldn't be able to get his swing down without his instruction. Hope this helps.

I've been practicing the GG pivot for about a month now with nice results (including a better feeling back) but I can't seam to shake the low cuts with 6I to Driver. I prefer a high fade or straight. Has anyone experienced this and how have you overcome it...any GG drills I should spend more time on, certain ball position, feels, stance? Juat a note but before the GG pivot I did fight OTT and getting off the back leg.
For me when I try to turn to fast I get the low cuts. Heath told me this months ago, you have to feel like you are actually turn slower.

Should I be feeling like my L leg is turning slower (squatting slower) or should I feel like my chest/shoulders are turning slower? Thank you.

Did a lot of freezers tonight (probably like 200 balls) and was hitting it further than I do on my normal swing.

Long story short, if you're having troubles getting rid of old compensations and syncing your new backswing to a new transition/downswing... do a bundle of freezers. I found hitting the ball to be easier with freezer drill than the mess of crap I was doing before. Body was so out of sync trying to make new changes that it needed a hard reset.

Mavrik 10.5 Project X Riptide 6.5 Small Batch

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

Sim Hybrid 21 Ventus Blue 9X

3-5 P770  KBS C-taper 120

6-PW Blueprint KBS C-taper 125 ssx1

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

GCQuad/SwingCatalyst/FLIR Blackfly/Fiberbuilt/Carl's Place DIY

I've been practicing the GG pivot for about a month now with nice results (including a better feeling back) but I can't seam to shake the low cuts with 6I to Driver. I prefer a high fade or straight. Has anyone experienced this and how have you overcome it...any GG drills I should spend more time on, certain ball position, feels, stance? Juat a note but before the GG pivot I did fight OTT and getting off the back leg.

Should I be feeling like my L leg is turning slower (squatting slower) or should I feel like my chest/shoulders are turning slower? Thank you.

Left leg and hip, no shoulder turn. It is more like a slow progression feeling. Eventually where the hip goes the shoulder goes. So, if you turn to hard to quick the shoulders turn to fast. No sure if I'm explaining that correctly.

That's why the freezers are so important. To get the feeling of transition.

Vokeys SM9 56,60

Finding it absolutely crucial to feel like the left hip is above the right in transition. For someone who is prone to dropping the right shoulder its a must.

Edit: meant left hip to feel below right

As a right shoulder dropper are you now focusing on the right lateral bend as opposed to right side bend? I believe the technical term for right lateral bend is oinky doink.

It seemed like an odd place to focus on at first, but I feel much more rotation when I do and can get my weight more forward.

I really haven't bought into this method 100% yet - I'm taking some bits and pieces and working it in by trial and error, and I think I am doing pretty well. Sometimes a "lightbulb" instagram post of his his will really hit home, and this time it was the Snead video where GG explained how his right forearm lined up with his spine angle on the downswing. This was like magic for me today, because I have been struggling with throwing my arms down from the top. No matter how much I tried to apply the pivot moves, it wouldn't work because of the faulty arm action.

So, getting that right arm in position allowed the pivot to proceed unimpeded. Just an example of the pivot improving as a result of fixing an upper body action. This actually happened to me before after a lesson from Dan, where he tweaked my wrist set and arm action and it automagically improved my pivot.

I know the deal her is that the squat sets up the lower body and shallowing, but I've come to the conclusion that I have a pretty good pivot if I set the arm and hand conditions to make it happen, and doing the GG squat, etc. whatever is not worth my time until I clean up my upper body.

I really haven't bought into this method 100% yet - I'm taking some bits and pieces and working it in by trial and error, and I think I am doing pretty well. Sometimes a "lightbulb" instagram post of his his will really hit home, and this time it was the Snead video where GG explained how his right forearm lined up with his spine angle on the downswing. This was like magic for me today, because I have been struggling with throwing my arms down from the top. No matter how much I tried to apply the pivot moves, it wouldn't work because of the faulty arm action.

So, getting that right arm in position allowed the pivot to proceed unimpeded. Just an example of the pivot improving as a result of fixing an upper body action. This actually happened to me before after a lesson from Dan, where he tweaked my wrist set and arm action and it automagically improved my pivot.

I know the deal her is that the squat sets up the lower body and shallowing, but I've come to the conclusion that I have a pretty good pivot if I set the arm and hand conditions to make it happen, and doing the GG squat, etc. whatever is not worth my time until I clean up my upper body.

Instagram link to that Snead vid?...thanks

other vids have clubface at takeaway to parallel also matching spine angle

figure it all helps keep club in front of body essentially

Didn't want this thread killed because of instagram links but here it is:

For me it's not about keeping club in front, it's about keeping right forearm high and bent in transition so I have to squat to go down and get it instead of lifting out of it and EE. I was trying to make the point that this works for me as opposed to thinking of the GG squat first and then adjusting the arm-work as neeed.

https://www.instagra...-by=ggswingtips

For me it's not about keeping club in front, it's about keeping right forearm high and bent in transition so I have to squat to go down and get it instead of lifting out of it and EE. I was trying to make the point that this works for me as opposed to thinking of the GG squat first and then adjusting the arm-work as neeed.

For me this is spot on. If I focus on the squat, I tend to over do it. A good drill for me is to go to the top of the backswing freeze, then take my left hand off the club and with my left hand move my left knee. Similar to what you see him do with people in the videos, where he squats behind them forces their legs to move. I get the feeling of a slow turn where the right arm drops in front but elbow and forearm and club stay above waist. Like you said it makes you then squat to get to the ball.

Vokeys SM9 56,60

Whoops, should I remove the Instagram link?

Was kinda proud of my progress.

I think as long as Instagram link does not have advertising you should be fine. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

And great progress, huge difference!

Quick question, I don't think it was mentioned. How long was your lesson with GG?

Lesson was 1 hour. He went over by ten minutes.

I think as long as Instagram link does not have advertising you should be fine. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

And great progress, huge difference!

Quick question, I don't think it was mentioned. How long was your lesson with GG?

Edit: meant left hip to feel below right

As a right shoulder dropper are you now focusing on the right lateral bend as opposed to right side bend? I believe the technical term for right lateral bend is oinky doink.

It seemed like an odd place to focus on at first, but I feel much more rotation when I do and can get my weight more forward.

Yep precisely. So for me its a big emphasis on left hip below right as I externally rotate and sit into the right.

I feel as though leaving the arms up is just as beneficial for rotation as it is for not pulling down with hands. Seems as though the more I focus on just pivoting and less on the arms the better the rotation is and the better my shot is.

I remember Hstead talking about you don't have to pivot extremely fast for this to be effective. I've heard GG also talk about having high hands like Bubba on the backswing gives your lower body time to pivot properly.

GG's initial takeaway move as outlined in this vid really helps set me up to finish the swing and even rotate better

http://www.bing.com/...A9EFB&FORM=VIRE

My favorite GG video!

Interesting viewer comments from below this video:

Really interesting those comments from George!

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

In order to get to where he wants at p6 you must straighten the right arm in the downswing (or as he calls it pushing away) is that correct?

Not really, he wanst you in what he calls "the curl position" at p6 and he wants the right arm to be bent at impact. The arm will straighten some from the top to p6 and impact, but you don't intentionally straighten your right arm, if anything you are just trying to maintain the same width from the top. The real goal is to not lose width and get narrow by pulling on the handle. But in a nutshell, no you do not want to straighten the right arm.

So the curl position then would be a 90* right elbow? I guess the issue I'm finding is if I keep right elbow at or close to 90* my hands are pretty far from my right thigh at p6

Thanks so much for all the info it's very much appreciated!!

https://www.instagra...-by=ggswingtips

For me this is spot on. If I focus on the squat, I tend to over do it. A good drill for me is to go to the top of the backswing freeze, then take my left hand off the club and with my left hand move my left knee. Similar to what you see him do with people in the videos, where he squats behind them forces their legs to move. I get the feeling of a slow turn where the right arm drops in front but elbow and forearm and club stay above waist. Like you said it makes you then squat to get to the ball.

Thanks for this. I tried this feel/move today on the range, and it worked well for me.

Helps to shallow shaft on the downswing, and helps to sync upper body rotation with lower body pivot.

Keep in mind that it is an exaggerated feel/move...

These GG Instagram links are good:

http://www.instagram...-by=ggswingtips