Metro Detroit Area Golfers (NO COVID-19, POLITICS)

MI517

Lyon Oaks is in great condition and they are putting new sand in many of the bunkers. This was much needed and the new sand, while not the fluffy Ohio stuff, is pretty nice. It's a little bit heavier and plays great for the dreaded mid-distance sand shot.

But, Lyon Oaks has been cutting down the high devil grass on far too many holes on the back 9. Number 10 has been completely mowed down at end of the fairway. And 14 has been excessively cut back. 16 and 18 have also been cut back. This is just wrong and doesn't speed up play as too many people think they can find their ball in that mess of wacked reeds and grass. Even the rangers there think it's a bad idea.

Also, for 25 years The Orchards has stood as the top of the Detroit metro public courses. We played it two weekends ago and were shocked. The greens were as slow as I've ever seen them (for example, a ball chipped from above the pin on 1 just stopped halfway...that never happens!). And there were excessive pitch marks on a number of the greens. I don't know what has happened, but I hope it's just a short-term thing as that is a favorite of mine.

Moose Ridge is in killer condition. And they are keeping the greens quick, but not insane (like when you play 13 and you are not on the right below the hole...yikes!).

TSi4 Tensei White AV RAW X-Stiff/Hzrdus Gen 4 Black Stiff

Stealth 5 wood with Ventus

Titleist TS2 7 wood with Ventus

Mizuno MP-64 KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

Lyon Oaks is in great condition and they are putting new sand in many of the bunkers. This was much needed and the new sand, while not the fluffy Ohio stuff, is pretty nice. It's a little bit heavier and plays great for the dreaded mid-distance sand shot.

But, Lyon Oaks has been cutting down the high devil grass on far too many holes on the back 9. Number 10 has been completely mowed down at end of the fairway. And 14 has been excessively cut back. 16 and 18 have also been cut back. This is just wrong and doesn't speed up play as too many people think they can find their ball in that mess of wacked reeds and grass. Even the rangers there think it's a bad idea.

Also, for 25 years The Orchards has stood as the top of the Detroit metro public courses. We played it two weekends ago and were shocked. The greens were as slow as I've ever seen them (for example, a ball chipped from above the pin on 1 just stopped halfway...that never happens!). And there were excessive pitch marks on a number of the greens. I don't know what has happened, but I hope it's just a short-term thing as that is a favorite of mine.

Moose Ridge is in killer condition. And they are keeping the greens quick, but not insane (like when you play 13 and you are not on the right below the hole...yikes!).

That is shocking to hear about The Orchards....though they may have been getting ready for a big event. They tend to keep the greens longer right before shaving them to minimize the strain on the grass. I'm flying back to MI this weekend and will be playing there early in the week. I'll report back.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

That is shocking to hear about The Orchards....though they may have been getting ready for a big event. They tend to keep the greens longer right before shaving them to minimize the strain on the grass. I'm flying back to MI this weekend and will be playing there early in the week. I'll report back.

Yes, give us an update. All four of us were very surprised. I've played it 100 times and never seen it like this before.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

Playing Lakes of Taylor next weekend. Any current impressions of the conditions?

I played it in a qualifier last Wednesday (and once prior to that a few days before). The course was in pretty good condition at the time, overall, but it was quite soft, especially during the practice round. On the 7th hole, during the qualifier, the area from about 100 yards from the green to about 50 yards before it was roped off as ground under repair. Not really sure what happened there.

After the rain we got last night, I’d expect it to be pretty soggy, because the soil there doesn’t drain very well. I’d expect it to be cart path only for at least the next few days.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Playing Lakes of Taylor next weekend. Any current impressions of the conditions?

I played it in a qualifier last Wednesday (and once prior to that a few days before). The course was in pretty good condition at the time, overall, but it was quite soft, especially during the practice round. On the 7th hole, during the qualifier, the area from about 100 yards from the green to about 50 yards before it was roped off as ground under repair. Not really sure what happened there.

After the rain we got last night, I'd expect it to be pretty soggy, because the soil there doesn't drain very well. I'd expect it to be cart path only for at least the next few days.

Good shootin' on Wednesday 3JP and he's right - it'll be soggy. This is what the # 8 green looked like on Tuesday night just before they closed the course. Oh, and they used that knife/aerator thing all over the #7 tee box too. (Can't putt worth a darn through standing water!)

25p341h.jpg

After the rain we got last night, I'd expect it to be pretty soggy, because the soil there doesn't drain very well. I'd expect it to be cart path only for at least the next few days.

Good shootin' on Wednesday 3JP and he's right - it'll be soggy. This is what the # 8 green looked like on Tuesday night just before they closed the course. Oh, and they used that knife/aerator thing all over the #7 tee box too. (Can't putt worth a darn through standing water!)

Should have been better -- I definitely had it in me to qualify that day. I had it to 2 under in the fairway about 225 out on the 18th hole (my 9th one) and ended up making double due to a huge brain fart on the green, and then one bad swing and a couple bad breaks led to me blowing up to shoot 4 over on the back. I was at 3 over and thought I needed to get to 73 to have a chance (74 ended up being the number, but it was pretty calm and the course wasn't playing particularly difficult), so I hit driver on #8, and pulled it a little. I hit the cart path and it jumped into the lake through the fairway. 3 wood off the tee it really the play there for me, to avoid exactly what I did. If I'd managed to make par there, who knows what might have happened on 9. It was disappointing, because I would have really loved to play Meadowbrook again a few times, but I honestly just didn't handle the nerves well once I knew I had started off really well and had a good chance to make it if I kept it up.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Hey guys, if you're interested in supporting a local Catholic school (Sacred Heart in Dearborn) please consider playing in our annual golf outing. To register, click on this link.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/sacred-heart-catholic-schools-fr-kenneally-cup-tickets-46658016383?utm-medium=discovery&utm-campaign=social&utm-content=attendeeshare&aff=escb&utm-source=cp&utm-term=listing

Hi all,

Little help please. In town a few daus from SoCal, grew up in Canton though. Lookig for a few rounds and was thinking Moose Ridge this weekend. Found out it was carts only (no walking). Call me cynical, I hate ‘carts only’ courses that are easily walkable, but deemed carts only to speed up play & grab more money. Is Moose Ridge worth the play? Not that I play slow, but walking the courses is my joy. Olus I enjoy my cigars more ?

Also looking at anoyher round at Lyon Oaks. Good shape still? Played it once just after it opened years ago, left for military shortly after.

Any other course(s) I should play instead? Coming from Canton so want to keep the drive ‘reasonable’ (hour is fine one-way). Don’t want any courses with housinn developments/etc. pure nature feel. I get enough suberban golf in San Diego..

Thanks

Hi all,

Little help please. In town a few daus from SoCal, grew up in Canton though. Lookig for a few rounds and was thinking Moose Ridge this weekend. Found out it was carts only (no walking). Call me cynical, I hate 'carts only' courses that are easily walkable, but deemed carts only to speed up play & grab more money. Is Moose Ridge worth the play? Not that I play slow, but walking the courses is my joy. Olus I enjoy my cigars more ��

Also looking at anoyher round at Lyon Oaks. Good shape still? Played it once just after it opened years ago, left for military shortly after.

Any other course(s) I should play instead? Coming from Canton so want to keep the drive 'reasonable' (hour is fine one-way). Don't want any courses with housinn developments/etc. pure nature feel. I get enough suberban golf in San Diego..

Thanks

Washtenaw GC in Ypsi/A2 area I highly recommend. I'm a range member at Moose Ridge and have played it once mabye 7 years ago. I'm not into cartballing tracks and the course is okay, well maintained. Wetlands and overtreed.

Huron Meadows is a solid metro park track in Brighton.

Hi all,

Little help please. In town a few daus from SoCal, grew up in Canton though. Lookig for a few rounds and was thinking Moose Ridge this weekend. Found out it was carts only (no walking). Call me cynical, I hate 'carts only' courses that are easily walkable, but deemed carts only to speed up play & grab more money. Is Moose Ridge worth the play? Not that I play slow, but walking the courses is my joy. Olus I enjoy my cigars more ��

Any other course(s) I should play instead? Coming from Canton so want to keep the drive 'reasonable' (hour is fine one-way). Don't want any courses with housinn developments/etc. pure nature feel. I get enough suberban golf in San Diego..

Thanks

Washtenaw GC in Ypsi/A2 area I highly recommend. I'm a range member at Moose Ridge and have played it once mabye 7 years ago. I'm not into cartballing tracks and the course is okay, well maintained. Wetlands and overtreed.

Washtenaw is cool if you like old school parkland courses. Not even close to the nature feel of the two you mentioned, it’s right off a major road. Moose ridge is not walkable!

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Not so much for parkland. Can find those all over. Hard to find a good course with good ol’pinetrees and such in SoCal, all sage and low-level brish suitable for desert types. Looking for all the traits of an ‘upnorth’ feel. Seclusion, water, woods, and preferrably a good walkable course.

If moose ridge is worth it I’ll bite and take a cart, just hate to speed on through though. Figure to do Lyon Oaks in the AM.

Hows Orchard Hills as for ‘seclusion’? Pictures showed some holes with housing right by it.

Not so much for parkland. Can find those all over. Hard to find a good course with good ol’pinetrees and such in SoCal, all sage and low-level brish suitable for desert types. Looking for all the traits of an ‘upnorth’ feel. Seclusion, water, woods, and preferrably a good walkable course.

If moose ridge is worth it I’ll bite and take a cart, just hate to speed on through though. Figure to do Lyon Oaks in the AM.

Hows Orchard Hills as for ‘seclusion’? Pictures showed some holes with housing right by it.

The orchards? Someone was just saying it was in bad shape the other day. If you want up north feel moose ridge is the way to go. A couple holes are roped off and parking isn’t super close to greens, you’ll be able to take your time playing it. I think you’ve picked the two best options. Little further away but I also like Coyote Preserve, but I don’t know that it’s any better than the other two.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Not so much for parkland. Can find those all over. Hard to find a good course with good ol'pinetrees and such in SoCal, all sage and low-level brish suitable for desert types. Looking for all the traits of an 'upnorth' feel. Seclusion, water, woods, and preferrably a good walkable course.

If moose ridge is worth it I'll bite and take a cart, just hate to speed on through though. Figure to do Lyon Oaks in the AM.

Hows Orchard Hills as for 'seclusion'? Pictures showed some holes with housing right by it.

Moose Ridge is a fantastic course. Lyon Oaks is my favorite public course in the city. I rank it above The Orchards and way, way above Shepherd's Hollow. It's a drive, but Coyote Preserve is also worth playing.

The Orchards does have housing on the back, but it's not in play in any way. The Orchards is still considered the best public course in the city, but I played it a couple of weeks ago and me and the other three guys were surprised by the slowness of the greens and far, far too many pitch marks. I'm hopeful this was just an aberration, as The Orchards has always been maintained in pristine condition for the 25 years I've been playing it.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

Hi all,

Thanks

Washtenaw is cool if you like old school parkland courses. Not even close to the nature feel of the two you mentioned, it's right off a major road. Moose ridge is not walkable!

Washtenaw is more of a woodlot course now instead of an old school parkland's course. Old School Parklands have more random trees and more open space. I hardly hear noise at Washtenaw from road. There is water too. He basically has a toss up between Washtenaw and Moose. Moose is your up north cartball feel. I'd go Washtenaw, you can finish with the same ball you started with most of the time. The land is so good too.

Awesome detail, thanks! Shoulda mentioned I hate mosquitos too, a course without those wins me over right now. Been in socal since ‘07 and not a single mosquito bite since. Went out to Felliws Creek yesterday and got my calves chewed up with bites. ?

Looks like I’ll give Moose a go then. Walkin Lyon O tomorrow anyways. Get my ambiance on and enjoy a cigar (or 2).

Thx!

Awesome detail, thanks! Shoulda mentioned I hate mosquitos too, a course without those wins me over right now. Been in socal since '07 and not a single mosquito bite since. Went out to Felliws Creek yesterday and got my calves chewed up with bites.

Looks like I'll give Moose a go then. Walkin Lyon O tomorrow anyways. Get my ambiance on and enjoy a cigar (or 2).

Thx!

Let us know what you think of Moose and Lyon Oaks. And if you've never played Lyon Oaks before, make sure to check out that little tri-fold course guide at least on numbers 2, 12, 14, 15, 16, and 18. Don't try to draw it around the corner on 15...it's the Bermuda Triangle there and balls just disappear into the ether. Just aim for the trap.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

The Orchards is in fantastic shape right now. Greens are about as good as I have seen....rolling smooth and pretty quick as well. Luckily the poor ish greens a few weeks ago were a fluke.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

The Orchards is in fantastic shape right now. Greens are about as good as I have seen....rolling smooth and pretty quick as well. Luckily the poor ish greens a few weeks ago were a fluke.

Someone just told me this morning they played it last week and it is now in very good condition.

Good to hear, as I am planning on playing it again this fall.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

The new sand at Lyon Oaks is so nice...and I know, because I was in it like a half dozen times on Monday. I believe all the bunkers have now been upgraded...long overdue! The greens are in such excellent shape. Someone is out there repairing the pitch marks regularly.

Played in 3 hours and 34 minutes. And while I didn't break my single hole record of 37 balls found on a single hole, I did set a new one day record for 18 holes. 96 found balls, including a dozen primo Pro V1's and 6 TP5's (which is unusual as they are not as common...I figure one dood lost them all).

Lyon Oaks is the only course in the rotation that I ball hunt on, simply because more balls are lost there than any other course I'm aware of in Metro.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

The new sand at Lyon Oaks is so nice...and I know, because I was in it like a half dozen times on Monday. I believe all the bunkers have now been upgraded...long overdue! The greens are in such excellent shape. Someone is out there repairing the pitch marks regularly.

Played in 3 hours and 34 minutes. And while I didn't break my single hole record of 37 balls found on a single hole, I did set a new one day record for 18 holes. 96 found balls, including a dozen primo Pro V1's and 6 TP5's (which is unusual as they are not as common...I figure one dood lost them all).

Lyon Oaks is the only course in the rotation that I ball hunt on, simply because more balls are lost there than any other course I'm aware of in Metro.

Wow, that's a lot of golf balls. I will be there soon...you may find a lot of Vice Pros there too.

Wow, that's a lot of golf balls. I will be there soon...you may find a lot of Vice Pros there too.

It was an unusual day. Although we played fast, two of our guys didn't show up and we were behind a foursome. We had time to kill and absolutely not a soul behind us.

There are only five holes you need to search to find the gold! I guess a lot of people think you can reach number 5 in 2...but I think not very many actually do (but they donate their balls to me!). Here is the secret treasure map, but please don't tell anyone: The right forest past the OB on number 4 (very difficult to get inside, but once you are in, ball galore!), the right forest on number 5 even with the green, the right forest 180 off the blue tees on 10. The right forest 150 yards off the tee on 16, and deep, deep left at 150-200 off of 18...go deep, as that is where the good stuff is just waiting for you.

Tell no one!

I'll save all the Vice Pro's I find for you. I end up giving away about 85% of the balls I find.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

Playing out at Western G&CC this weekend for the first time. Excited to get out to another traditional Ross track. Anyone played it and have any tips or recommendations for me?

Course has great bones. They have a new young keeper this year and he has firmed the course up. The greens have shrunk and will hopefully be restored. Keep out of the trees. Sits on very low land, so hopefully it's dry the week you play it. Enjoy.

Playing out at Western G&CC this weekend for the first time. Excited to get out to another traditional Ross track. Anyone played it and have any tips or recommendations for me?

Course has great bones. They have a new young keeper this year and he has firmed the course up. The greens have shrunk and will hopefully be restored. Keep out of the trees. Sits on very low land, so hopefully it's dry the week you play it. Enjoy.

Only got thru 11 due to a surprise t-storm but enjoyed it out there. Greens were fast, firm, and difficult. Course was pretty decent shape, but rough was a little spotty. Some really good par 3s on the front - wish I could have finished the round, but watching Tiger was a nice alternative...

• 2 weeks later...

Funniest thing a greens-keeper has ever said to me.

Yesterday I join at friend at Dunham Hills. He had some coupons and I've never played it.

So, horses for courses and all that, lets just say that Dunham Hills is not my kinda course. The condition was not bad at all and the greens rolled true and smooth. But by the third hole it was clear to me that it was not designed by a professional.

On the back 9 we hit a foursome and do some waiting and I say to the greens-keeper, "there are some interesting choices on this course". And he says, "you mean bad choices".

There is a pause and then he tells me it would just cost far, far too much to fix them and then he walked off to his next assignment.

The guy was obviously not a fan. Hilarious.

In any event, I'll never play it again.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch