Metro Detroit Area Golfers (NO COVID-19, POLITICS)

MI517

Played TPC Michigan in Dearborn yesterday for the first time -- cart path only, but it was in pretty good shape for February. Playing it from the tips in breezy conditions and mid 50s temps made it a challenge. It seems like it's a pretty tough test even in average conditions, especially when the leaves come in on the trees. One kind of odd thing that I noticed is that I was hitting either wedges or long irons into every hole. I don't think I hit my 7 or 8 iron all day, and I usually wear those clubs out. That was probably more about the conditions than the course.

Tough track. It's really nice, but I just never really cared for it all that much for some reason.

Lot's of target golf from what I remember

Reminded me a little bit of The Bear. Small greens that leave tough up & downs if you miss. Definitely a second shot golf course.

Did you notice any trees missing from strategic places (like stumps and sawdust) I think they took out the pine guarding the #4 green and possibly the big tree on the left on #6? Plus I think they took out a bunch more.

The tips in Feb is definitely a challenge! Any time you want to tee it up there let me know.

I saw some stumps but didn’t notice many that were in strategic places. Liked the course, got invited a number of times last year but it’s a tough swing for ~$80.

Yea I don’t know why they do that (well I do actually) but it just makes it hard to bring friends or business contacts out to play. You guys shoulda payed less yesterday being off season and all.

I saw some stumps but didn’t notice many that were in strategic places. Liked the course, got invited a number of times last year but it’s a tough swing for ~$80.

Yea I don’t know why they do that (well I do actually) but it just makes it hard to bring friends or business contacts out to play. You guys shoulda payed less yesterday being off season and all.

Yeah, a bit more than half that. On the way outer edge of what I’d pay to play anywhere this early. I’d play it for 80 in the summer maybe once or twice. If the info I was hearing about membership rates was accurate, it would be a decent option if only it were a little closer to my house.

How is pace of play out there on weeknights? As close as it is to Ford, I have to imagine it’s pretty busy after work during the summers.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I saw some stumps but didn't notice many that were in strategic places. Liked the course, got invited a number of times last year but it's a tough swing for ~$80.

Yea I don't know why they do that (well I do actually) but it just makes it hard to bring friends or business contacts out to play. You guys shoulda payed less yesterday being off season and all.

Yeah, a bit more than half that. On the way outer edge of what I'd pay to play anywhere this early. I'd play it for 80 in the summer maybe once or twice. If the info I was hearing about membership rates was accurate, it would be a decent option if only it were a little closer to my house.

How is pace of play out there on weeknights? As close as it is to Ford, I have to imagine it's pretty busy after work during the summers.

Pace of play is surprisingly good (I think I've played 1 - 4+ hour round in 3yrs) and yes the rates are incredibly cheap for the quality of the course. Remember though its just the golf course and a clubhouse - no tennis, swimming pool or other stuff I wouldn't use anyways. Its was just a "business" course even 3yrs ago where we had the place to ourselves on the weekends but that's really turned around now. Its not too bad Tuesday and Wednesday but Thursdays and Fridays after work can get a little busy. I'm extremely lucky to have a flexible schedule and an very understanding boss so I can be on the 1st tee by 3:30. Also, being 10 min away I can go hit on the grass range at lunch.

Oh did you see the new simulators upstairs?

It takes less than 20 min on the weekends for me to get there so I image it would be about the same for you. They're always looking for new members.

I saw some stumps but didn't notice many that were in strategic places. Liked the course, got invited a number of times last year but it's a tough swing for ~$80.

Yea I don't know why they do that (well I do actually) but it just makes it hard to bring friends or business contacts out to play. You guys shoulda payed less yesterday being off season and all.

Yeah, a bit more than half that. On the way outer edge of what I'd pay to play anywhere this early. I'd play it for 80 in the summer maybe once or twice. If the info I was hearing about membership rates was accurate, it would be a decent option if only it were a little closer to my house.

How is pace of play out there on weeknights? As close as it is to Ford, I have to imagine it's pretty busy after work during the summers.

Pace of play is surprisingly good (I think I've played 1 - 4+ hour round in 3yrs) and yes the rates are incredibly cheap for the quality of the course. Remember though its just the golf course and a clubhouse - no tennis, swimming pool or other stuff I wouldn't use anyways. Its was just a "business" course even 3yrs ago where we had the place to ourselves on the weekends but that's really turned around now. Its not too bad Tuesday and Wednesday but Thursdays and Fridays after work can get a little busy. I'm extremely lucky to have a flexible schedule and an very understanding boss so I can be on the 1st tee by 3:30. Also, being 10 min away I can go hit on the grass range at lunch.

It takes less than 20 min on the weekends for me to get there so I image it would be about the same for you. They're always looking for new members.

I didn't see the sims, but our buddy who is a member was talking about them, and I think the guy in the pro shop was saying that they were opening next Thursday or something like that.

I did submit a request through the website for info about membership, more out of curiosity than anything (if we weren't going to Hawaii this year, it might be an easier sell). I doubt I'd be able to get out there often enough to make it worthwhile, but if there's no initiation or food/bev minimums, and a pretty reasonable monthly fee, it's probably the best private option I'd be able to consider.

I noticed a few stumps here and there, but not having played there before, I can't really compare -- the one I really noticed was the one I flew over when I flared my approach on 14 into the 15th fairway.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I didn't see the sims, but our buddy who is a member was talking about them, and I think the guy in the pro shop was saying that they were opening next Thursday or something like that.

I did submit a request through the website for info about membership, more out of curiosity than anything (if we weren't going to Hawaii this year, it might be an easier sell). I doubt I'd be able to get out there often enough to make it worthwhile, but if there's no initiation or food/bev minimums, and a pretty reasonable monthly fee, it's probably the best private option I'd be able to consider.

I noticed a few stumps here and there, but not having played there before, I can't really compare -- the one I really noticed was the one I flew over when I flared my approach on 14 into the 15th fairway.

16th fairway - GPS is surprisingly handy from over there (not that I'd know). Something about a 20' drop into the swamp along the entire approach does tend to push things a little right. I think Jack was having a bad day when he designed that hole!

16th fairway - GPS is surprisingly handy from over there (not that I'd know). Something about a 20' drop into the swamp along the entire approach does tend to push things a little right. I think Jack was having a bad day when he designed that hole!

Oh right, I forgot about the par 3 between those two holes. I put my tee shot on the hill right of the fairway and had the ball way above me feet and played for a sweeping hook, but somehow managed to to hit a 5 yard fade instead of the 20 yard hook I was expecting. It's honestly not a terrible place to miss. It's a tough hole -- probably plays into the wind most of the time, but it would be tough to hit driver as much as it narrows, which leaves an intimidating shot with a long iron or hybrid. That hole probably wrecks a lot of cards.

Recently moved to Detroit from Australia and finally settled down, ready for some golf!!

Can anyone shed some light on how i can get a round at TPC Michigan and what are the green fees like?

Separately, I'm looking for a home to play weekly golf....any good recommendations? I live downtown and don't have a car, so preferably not too far to travel on uber. Thanks in advance

Callaway Epic Subzero 9.5° [i]Oban Devotion 65-04[/i]
Tour Edge Exotics XCG-7 15° [i]Oban Devotion 75-04[/i]
Miura 1957 Small Blades 3-PW [i]Nippon Modus 125S[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM5 52.08 [i]KBS Tour 120S[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM5 58.07 [i]KBS Tour 120S[/i]
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 34"

Recently moved to Detroit from Australia and finally settled down, ready for some golf!!

Can anyone shed some light on how i can get a round at TPC Michigan and what are the green fees like?

Separately, I'm looking for a home to play weekly golf....any good recommendations? I live downtown and don't have a car, so preferably not too far to travel on uber. Thanks in advance

Welcome mate!

Best bet is join the GAM (gam.org - you’ll need to to post scores and keep a handicap if so inclined) and sign up for the 4/23 golf day scheduled there.

From downtown the two closest private are TPC and Dearborn Country Club, public and close and good is a tough combination. Dearborn Hills (executive course) Chandler Park - awful, the driving range on Belle Isle with a 6 hole par 3 course, St. Clair Shores - not too terrible. Beyond those few you really have to go 30-45 min either North or West to find some good caliber courses.

There are some pretty good reviews of metro Detroit courses on Two Guys Who Golf.com.

Welcome mate!

Best bet is join the GAM (gam.org - you’ll need to to post scores and keep a handicap if so inclined) and sign up for the 4/23 golf day scheduled there.

From downtown the two closest private are TPC and Dearborn Country Club, public and close and good is a tough combination. Dearborn Hills (executive course) Chandler Park - awful, the driving range on Belle Isle with a 6 hole par 3 course, St. Clair Shores - not too terrible. Beyond those few you really have to go 30-45 min either North or West to find some good caliber courses.

There are some pretty good reviews of metro Detroit courses on Two Guys Who Golf.com.

Appreciate the help! Good to know which ones are awful haha

I did a bit more research this morning and realize i'll probably need to rent a car instead of Uber-ing around to play golf - which means 30-45min drive is ok. Considering I'm living here by myself, so i can be gone for the whole day and I won't have anybody to nag me

I read here that Shepherds Hollow is quite good, any idea if they allow public green fee players? (Couldn't really find out on the site)

Keen to continue my mission of going single figure. Wasn't able to do it in 2017, that's the aim for 2018!

Welcome mate!

Appreciate the help! Good to know which ones are awful haha

I did a bit more research this morning and realize i'll probably need to rent a car instead of Uber-ing around to play golf - which means 30-45min drive is ok. Considering I'm living here by myself, so i can be gone for the whole day and I won't have anybody to nag me

I read here that Shepherds Hollow is quite good, any idea if they allow public green fee players? (Couldn't really find out on the site)

Keen to continue my mission of going single figure. Wasn't able to do it in 2017, that's the aim for 2018!

Shepherd's Hollow is public. I'm pretty sure they have golf leagues too.

One thing you should probably know is that golf leagues are really big here, which means most public courses won't have any available tee times between 3-6:30 pm on weekdays from mid April to Labor day.

Ah that's ok, I rarely finish work before 7 so I don't weekday golf is an option.

Would be happy just to play on weekends. Do you know how much a round at Shepherds is?

Ah that's ok, I rarely finish work before 7 so I don't weekday golf is an option.

Would be happy just to play on weekends. Do you know how much a round at Shepherds is?

The rates vary based on time of day as well as the time of year. I think the low would be around $45 for 18 w/cart and the high is around $80.

thanks, that's great to know.

where do you normally play your golf?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I have an internship in Dearborn this summer and live in the Novi area. Last summer I did an unlimited driving range deal out where I worked and I’d love to do the same thing this summer. Does anyone have any suggestions for a course that would offer that either in Dearborn or between Dearborn and Novi? (Preferably grass range)

Thanks for the help!

Driver: Titleist Tsi2 - GD AD-IZ 6x

3 wood: Taylormade SIM Max 15 - GD AD-VR 7x

hybrid: Ping G425 19 - GD AD-DI Hy 95x

irons (4-pw): Ping iBlade - Project X rifle 6.5 +1"

wedges (50,55,60): Vokey Sm9 - Project X rifle 6.5 +1"

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 36"

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Anyone know this guy? Per the comments he used to play for U-M back in college? Sounds like he might have swiped a trackman and some other equipment. Surprised he's not getting jail time.

I do. Haven’t played with him in a few years. From the way he used to talk I’m surprised he didn’t just buy a Trackman if he wanted one lol. Can’t confirm the UM thing, it’s possible but he wasn’t all that great from what I remember. He plays a bunch of Am stuff locally.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Anyone know this guy? Per the comments he used to play for U-M back in college? Sounds like he might have swiped a trackman and some other equipment. Surprised he's not getting jail time.

I do. Haven't played with him in a few years. From the way he used to talk I'm surprised he didn't just buy a Trackman if he wanted one lol. Can't confirm the UM thing, it's possible but he wasn't all that great from what I remember. He plays a bunch of Am stuff locally.

Same here - he played on our Publinx team for one year, and only showed up a few times (wrist injury, he said), and shot 80-82 the times that he did (This was probably 15+ years since his freshman year at U-M, which is what the comments seemed to indicate). I didn't know him at all until we got paired up and played together in one match. Seemed like a pretty laid-back guy, but the match we played together was the last time he showed up, and I haven't seen him since. This doesn't sound like a very well thought out scheme he had. Repeatedly breaking into the same place seems like a great way to get caught.

I really enjoyed my membership at Detroit Golf Club and its a 8-10 minute uber ride from downtown so its by far your best private. For public Rackham is great for early bird back 9 which is the undisturbed part of Donald Ross and plays a lot of fun. Rouge Park is very unique a ton of fun for a change of pace but until we get some more investment which should be coming down the pipeline but its a tough neighborhood

this weather just wants to hang on for dear life... was hoping courses were gonna start popping open this weekend in prep for 4/1... but looking less and less likely and at this point why open for a single additional weekend if its just gonna hurt the growth

ugh

I'm in North Carolina right now and it's snowing here wtf.

If I don't play soon all the bad mojo from the winter is going to destroy my liver.

You can't count on this global warming thing. I don't believe we've had a day over 56 in March in metro Detroit so far.

TSi4 Tensei White AV RAW X-Stiff/Hzrdus Gen 4 Black Stiff

Stealth 5 wood with Ventus

Titleist TS2 7 wood with Ventus

Mizuno MP-64 KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

I'm in SoCal, and we're supposed to get about an inch of rain each of the next two days -- there's no escape!