Metro Detroit Area Golfers (NO COVID-19, POLITICS)

MI517

I think Dunham Hills has a ton of potential and isn't that far off. You can tell the new holes are bad. Tree removal is needed. It has as many bad holes as Oakland hills N.

I do not disagree. Tree removal would be the first thing to do. Honestly, I should have just kept my driver in the bag on all but maybe 3 holes.

There is real potential there. It's a nice piece of land. I don't think you would have to move a lot of earth. Relocate a few tees boxes, cut down a whole bunch of trees in the fat of the target landing zone, maybe re-contour a few greens.

My friend had played it before and knew of some pitfalls (like that par 4 on the back with a pond at 235...I hit 7 wood and he hit driver and paid the price!). And that silly hole on the back that even a very good drive is left with a significant downhill lie. I just don't understand that. But hey, horses for courses.

Playing St. Clair Golf Club tomorrow. Such an exceptional old school course, but Ross had the gift.

TSi4 Tensei White AV RAW X-Stiff/Hzrdus Gen 4 Black Stiff

Stealth 5 wood with Ventus

Titleist TS2 7 wood with Ventus

Mizuno MP-64 KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

I think Dunham Hills has a ton of potential and isn't that far off. You can tell the new holes are bad. Tree removal is needed. It has as many bad holes as Oakland hills N.

I do not disagree. Tree removal would be the first thing to do. Honestly, I should have just kept my driver in the bag on all but maybe 3 holes.

There is real potential there. It's a nice piece of land. I don't think you would have to move a lot of earth. Relocate a few tees boxes, cut down a whole bunch of trees in the fat of the target landing zone, maybe re-contour a few greens.

My friend had played it before and knew of some pitfalls (like that par 4 on the back with a pond at 235...I hit 7 wood and he hit driver and paid the price!). And that silly hole on the back that even a very good drive is left with a significant downhill lie. I just don't understand that. But hey, horses for courses.

Playing St. Clair Golf Club tomorrow. Such an exceptional old school course, but Ross had the gift.

+1 on St. Clair. Great course.

+1 on St. Clair. Great course.

I have played st.clair several times and really enjoy it. It seems like a very fair course, and I usually score decent there.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

St. Clair is in very fine condition. Beautiful greens that are nice and quick and so true.

We played 36 there yesterday and were shocked that when we finished around 5 pm the front nine appeared to be empty!

I only wished I had played better. One of our foursome played it for the first time and announced that it was, "his kinda course". I would agree, as he took all but four skins!

There was a discussion about 7, as apparently that is the only hole on the course my three playing partners didn't appreciate. 7 is the semi-circle shaped par 5. I like it, even if I had to hit gap wedge over the trees on the right for my second shot both times.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

St. Clair is in very fine condition. Beautiful greens that are nice and quick and so true.

We played 36 there yesterday and were shocked that when we finished around 5 pm the front nine appeared to be empty!

I only wished I had played better. One of our foursome played it for the first time and announced that it was, "his kinda course". I would agree, as he took all but four skins!

There was a discussion about 7, as apparently that is the only hole on the course my three playing partners didn't appreciate. 7 is the semi-circle shaped par 5. I like it, even if I had to hit gap wedge over the trees on the right for my second shot both times.

I think #7 is a nice, risk/reward hole. Hit driver down the left side and go for it in 2 is usually my plan. Things can go sideways if you are on the right side of the fairway and get caught in all the trees if going for it. The green is pretty small and has a good slope back to front.

Dunham is easily one of my least favorite courses in the area.

I completely agree. #1 is just a weird hole and doesn’t seem to reward good shots. #2 might be okay with some tree removal—I get annoyed with holes where you can be in the fairway and be blocked out from the green. #3 just collects tee shots into either the rough or a festival of divots if it stays in the fairway. 7 is a bit of a fun gamble hole, but there’s really not much of a penalty if you don’t pull it off, unless you really screw up and hit the trees near the tee. I hate short par 4s that force a layup with no risk/reward option like #9, which is a boring iron off the tee followed by a wedge to the green.

The back-to-back par 5s on 12 & 13, are both pretty good holes, I’ll admit, but 14 is one of the worst designed holes I’ve ever seen. It’s another forced layup off the tee with no real option for an aggressive play. 10 yards of fairway right of the hazard with OB lurking right isn’t a reasonable target for anyone to take on. Instead, you’re forced to hit it no farther than about 235, and you’re still left with 200+ to the green. If you want to make me hit a long iron approach, design a long par 3 (like #11, which is a solid test). 17 is another poorly designed hole where shots that land in the fairway get kicked left into the woods or even OB left.

I’ve played out there quite a bit because the MI Publinx insists on having a lot of tournaments there for some reason, and I’ve finished as high as in the top 5 in an event there, but it is not a course I enjoy at all.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Beacon Hill, finally played it Saturday. It's quirky and the greens are not quick, but I kinda liked it. If you drive it straight, it's not a difficult course. Not sure it should be sloped at 132 from the blues...it was just too easy. It's too far to put into the regular rotation, but I'd play it again if I was out that way.

Played Lyon Oaks today. Set another record. 148 balls found in a 4 hour and 4 minute round (22 Pro V1s, but only one TP5). Had two couples in front of us so we did a good bit of waiting.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

Forgot. This is kinda funny and kinda not funny.

A first. A couple of rounds ago at Lyon Oaks we got waved through by the foursome in front of us on 18! Yes, on 18. Never had that happen before ever.

And why? Because cutting down the grass diablo encourages people to hunt for their ball. Four guys in front of us all snooping around the hazard that comes into play on the second shot on 18. Our foursome stood on the hilltop between the tree and trap and waited and waited, but these guys didn't want to give up and actually waved us through.

Insanity.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

• 3 weeks later...

Metamora Golf and CC is in fine shape...as usual. An underrated course, albeit it does have some quirky holes (but I like em!).

Thought I played well, but counting them up at the end and I shot an 87. 14, 2, and 6 always get me! That green on 2 is nutty.

A heck of deal for $25 with Group Golfer.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

Curious if anyone else has played Rackham since the new management took over. I played it in June and it was a complete wreck. Several greens were in a complete state of neglect/damage.

I played it yesterday in the rain and honestly, I was impressed. The drainage was a problem, but that was weather and not so much the course maintenance. The health of the greens was very good. And while Rackham will never have the lush look of some of the better Metro courses, the fairways and rough were not too bad.

I'm going to play it again before the season is out on a dry day after a cut and roll. My hunch is things are looking up for Rackham (which I didn't play for probably 15 years due to the condition and poor management).

Even with the short front nine, it is still a Ross and it's a shame the condition it was allowed to degrade into over the past few decades. And the back 9 is a good test from the whites and the blues.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

Curious if anyone else has played Rackham since the new management took over. I played it in June and it was a complete wreck. Several greens were in a complete state of neglect/damage.

I played it yesterday in the rain and honestly, I was impressed. The drainage was a problem, but that was weather and not so much the course maintenance. The health of the greens was very good. And while Rackham will never have the lush look of some of the better Metro courses, the fairways and rough were not too bad.

I'm going to play it again before the season is out on a dry day after a cut and roll. My hunch is things are looking up for Rackham (which I didn't play for probably 15 years due to the condition and poor management).

Even with the short front nine, it is still a Ross and it's a shame the condition it was allowed to degrade into over the past few decades. And the back 9 is a good test from the whites and the blues.

, Is 6855 from the back short?

https://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/course/course/rackham/detailedscorecard.htm

https://course.blueg...edscorecard.htm

I'm not sure that card is current. I have the back at 6555 and the white/middle at 6268. When people say Rackham is short, they usually mean the chopped up holes on the front from the 696 construction. Overall Rackham has a number of very long holes. It's deceptive, as several of the 4 are very short and then you pay the price on the original fours that were not altered.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

I'm not sure that card is current. I have the back at 6555 and the white/middle at 6268. When people say Rackham is short, they usually mean the chopped up holes on the front from the 696 construction. Overall Rackham has a number of very long holes. It's deceptive, as several of the 4 are very short and then you pay the price on the original fours that were not altered.

some long par-3s as well. You are right about some of the par fours being short, but when you add up everything I think it is some pretty good distance. 6200 - 6300 yards is a considerable distance for most white tees. The back tees may be a bit of a different story at 6500 or so yards.

I always enjoy playing Rackham because it gives me a relaxing attitude for some reason when I play there. Maybe it's the old Clubhouse mixed with some large trees and the zoo right next to it. I haven't got out there this year, but I think I would like to.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

some long par-3s as well. You are right about some of the par fours being short, but when you add up everything I think it is some pretty good distance. 6200 - 6300 yards for the is a considerable distance for most tees.

I always enjoy playing Rackham because it gives me a relaxing attitude for some reason when I play there. Maybe it's the old Clubhouse mixed with some large trees and the zoo right next to it. I haven't got out there this year, but I think I would like to.

The par 3's on the back are serious! And anytime I make par on 10 or 18 I feel like I'm playing well. I hope you get out there and report back what you thought about the course. It appears the new management is making some real improvements with the limited resources they have to work with.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

Man I hate Rackham. Totally wedged in and overpriced due to the lack of competition. Luckily I live in Lake Orion near most of the good public courses in Oakland County.

I wish I were as fortunate as you are so I could play all the good courses as well. Maybe I shouldn't even bother and go play Rackham anymore?

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

Man I hate Rackham. Totally wedged in and overpriced due to the lack of competition. Luckily I live in Lake Orion near most of the good public courses in Oakland County.

I wish I were as fortunate as you are so I could play all the good courses as well. Maybe I shouldn't even bother and go play Rackham anymore?

Hey man do whatever you want, I'm just always disappointed when I play there plus it's like 30 min away when Westwynd, Twin Lakes, Blackheath, Boulder Point, Devil's Ridge, Pine Knob, Pine Trace, Fieldstone and Copper Hills are all closer, nicer (imo) and the same price or cheaper.

Hey man do whatever you want, I'm just always disappointed when I play there plus it's like 30 min away when Westwynd, Twin Lakes, Blackheath, Boulder Point, Devil's Ridge, Pine Knob, Pine Trace, Fieldstone and Copper Hills are all closer, nicer (imo) and the same price or cheaper.

I'm such a fan of Blackheath. Played there yesterday in high winds, which makes that course so much more fun. There were gusts over 30 MPH and 16 and 18 played crazy difficult! One of my favorite things to do when paired with another twosome is watch how people choose to play certain holes like #5 and #14.

Played Devil's twice this year, after sorta removing it from the rotation. Our group had to admit it was better than we remembered and the maintenance of the greens was excellent. We are lucky to have so many really good public courses to play. Friends from out of town always comment on this and can't believe how many good courses we can play for peanuts.

We've got it really good for public golf in Metro Detroit.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

Great to hear it was better please keep us posted on what it looks like this Fall......The City is looking to sell it to The County the last I heard and I wondered if they have figured out a way to accomplish that. I know they had allocated a lot of Rec money to invest into Rouge and Chandler...wondering if they are still in disrepair? I know they completely let Palmer go which is actually a great location property now that DGC is going to host the PGA..... really hopeful this portfolio gets the TLC it needs....could be great with some redesign's and some infrastructure investments to all 4 properties. Rackham is a golden goose for a Midwest Muni thats for sure....can not believe they would want to sell the only asset making $$. Lots of politics thats for sure :/

Great to hear it was better please keep us posted on what it looks like this Fall......The City is looking to sell it to The County the last I heard and I wondered if they have figured out a way to accomplish that. I know they had allocated a lot of Rec money to invest into Rouge and Chandler...wondering if they are still in disrepair? I know they completely let Palmer go which is actually a great location property now that DGC is going to host the PGA..... really hopeful this portfolio gets the TLC it needs....could be great with some redesign's and some infrastructure investments to all 4 properties. Rackham is a golden goose for a Midwest Muni thats for sure....can not believe they would want to sell the only asset making $$. Lots of politics thats for sure :/

I will make a follow-up post as soon as I get back there (Michigan weather...you know!).

I sent a note to the General Manager over there last week and he invited me to offer any suggestions for improvement. I've been thinking about some low cost ideas to make it better, but I'd welcome any ideas anyone has here.

One idea I'm going to offer is to have a day each week that the course is set up with it's fastest greens and longest rough. Call it Champions Day or Ben Davis Day.

I agree it's a golden goose. Great location and great heritage. It's a shame the condition it was allowed to degrade into over the past couple of decades. Honestly, I didn't even have an interest in playing it. If the improvement trend continues, I'd add it to the public course rotation.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

So Billy Casper golf doesn't run Rackham anymore?

This article states the most recent previous management was Vargo and the current contract was awarded to Signet Golf Associates. Apparently Billy Casper group was in the hunt but didn't win the award.

https://www.candgnews.com/news/detroit-city-council-approves-rackham-site-management-contract-107289

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

Any feedback on Oak Ridge in New Haven? Contemplating a 36-hole day there before the season ends.

Don't waste your time......I worked there 15 years ago when the courses used to be maintained well. I knew the owners pretty well and they hate spending money. They actually lowered the grounds crew budget and have refused to increase it at all over the last 10 ( I know because I ran into the head GK earlier this year). They don't fill the bunkers, the greens are filled with thatch so the ball bounces like crazy on pitches/chips even though they are soft, the greens don't roll very well and there are weeds everywhere in the rough. I play it every year just for nostalgia purposes and this is the last time i will go back. It's a shame because with that location and 36 holes they could have a gold mine if they maintained the courses better. They used to be booked solid back when I first started, not the case any more. Oh, and the other owner, Ron, only cares about leagues and lets them do whatever they want including skipping around both courses and playing random holes.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

I live in Royal Oak, so if I don't want to drive all the way to Macomb to play at my club, I sometimes play Rackham at Twilight. The course is pretty decent, I just hate how long it takes to play there. I called once and asked if it was busy and they said no come right out. Needless to say it was packed but I get it they're trying to make money.

Heads up for anyone planning to play Pheasant Run — there was a sign on the door that they’re aerating on 10/15

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x