Metro Detroit Area Golfers (NO COVID-19, POLITICS)

MI517

Anybody have any opinions of St Clair Golf Club?

http://www.stclairgolfclub.com/golf

St. Clair is awesome. I have bought the Group Golfer rounds for there the last 4 years. Front nine is a Donald Ross design with small, fast greens and some elevation changes. The back nine is a Jerry Matthews the routes through a subdivision. It is one of my favourite courses for sure.

Am I the only one that despises Cherry Creek in Shelby Twp? Haven't played that course in years because I just never cared for the layout and how it played. Gave it another chance today but to no avail. I really just don't care for that place.

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one that despises Cherry Creek in Shelby Twp? Haven't played that course in years because I just never cared for the layout and how it played. Gave it another chance today but to no avail. I really just don't care for that place.

I don't mind Cherry Creek. It's an alright course. When my friends visit from up north this is where I tend to take them since it's relatively close to me. Troy is closer, but SG and Sanc tend to have a lot slower pace of play in my experiences.

Driver-SIM2 9* 

3 wood-TM SIM 14* 
5 wood-TM SIM 18*
3H- Ping G400
5i-Ping g700 
6-PW Ping i500 
AW/SW/LW- Titleist SM8
Putter-Evnroll EV5 Black
Ball-Bridgestone B X/Prov1x Yellow

+1,too much $, I like the back nine better than the front nine, the range, putting green and banquet hall are top rate

I don't mind Cherry Creek. It's an alright course. When my friends visit from up north this is where I tend to take them since it's relatively close to me. Troy is closer, but SG and Sanc tend to have a lot slower pace of play in my experiences.

If you live in troy i'd rather gone play courses in Rochester like Blackheath, Twin Lakes, WestWynd. The latter two are normally not very busy. Blackheath on weekends and afternoons can be brutal

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Our group plays Greystone several times a season. We purchase group golfer coupons because we usually play it on Sunday afternoons. We like the layout and enjoy the final three holes dubbed “The Best Finish In Michigan Golf.”

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

If you live in troy i'd rather gone play courses in Rochester like Blackheath, Twin Lakes, WestWynd. The latter two are normally not very busy. Blackheath on weekends and afternoons can be brutal

I love Blackheath. That is my favorite course in that Troy, Rochester, Washington Twp area. Yes, even including The Orchards.

But you are correct. If you aren't playing at 7am or b4 on a wknd, best of luck to ya.

51* Srixon Z785 

Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

I love Blackheath. That is my favorite course in that Troy, Rochester, Washington Twp area. Yes, even including The Orchards.

But you are correct. If you aren't playing at 7am or b4 on a wknd, best of luck to ya.

The orchards was my home course in high school. I love the back 9 and holes 1, 3-6, and 8. I really dislike 2, 7, and 9.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

The orchards was my home course in high school. I love the back 9 and holes 1, 3-6, and 8. I really dislike 2, 7, and 9.

Im a biased member but Twin Lakes is really really solid... great variety across all 3 nines, a lot of different approach options into greens... even during peak times the pace is good. greens are some of the best in the area too

our twosome played 18 holes is 2.5 hours yesterday with a 3pm tee time, cant beat it

Our group plays Greystone several times a season. We purchase group golfer coupons because we usually play it on Sunday afternoons. We like the layout and enjoy the final three holes dubbed "The Best Finish In Michigan Golf."

i still havent unlocked the code of the Quarry holes there... last three rounds at Greystone i went +5, +5, +4 on that last 3 hole stretch ha. solid course thou

When I'm not playing at OU, it's usually Twin Lakes (Monday league) or Westwynd. I played Boulder Pointe on Friday afternoon and it was in pretty good condition considering the monsoon we had earlier in the day.

I'm excited for the woods nine tonight at Twin. I think it's easily the best of the three and everyone else in my league seems to struggle there so it's pretty easy for me to win some skins.

Our group plays Greystone several times a season. We purchase group golfer coupons because we usually play it on Sunday afternoons. We like the layout and enjoy the final three holes dubbed "The Best Finish In Michigan Golf."

i still havent unlocked the code of the Quarry holes there... last three rounds at Greystone i went +5, +5, +4 on that last 3 hole stretch ha. solid course thou

Yesterday I parred those last three holes but have to confess I took a mulligan on the 18th hole because my 1st drive went into Mound Road. ?

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

Im a biased member but Twin Lakes is really really solid... great variety across all 3 nines, a lot of different approach options into greens... even during peak times then pace is good. greens are some of the best in the area too

our twosome played 18 holes is 2.5 hours yesterday with a 3pm tee time, cant beat it

I like Twin Lakes as well, except for the estates 9. Hate playing in a subdivision.

51* Srixon Z785 

Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

Twin Lakes is solid...I used to work with Larry Hamilton who was, not sure if still is, the teaching pro there....GREAT GUY btw.

The course is usually in good shape, fun to play, and pace is normally excellent. The Orchards is probably my favorite public course in the area, great shape, tough holes, risk/reward holes, good practice area, just simply solid...the only holes i don't like are 9 and 10 just because they feel weird to me off the tee.

Cherry Creek is meh....too much target golf...whenever i have to hit 3 wood 3 wood pitch on a par 5 due to "landing areas" I cringe...but they do have some good holes...Number 1 is a tough starter and i don't mind 6-9...2 is just stupid for a longer par 4 and i kind of like 10 and the par 3's on the back but that's it....they do have a decent practice area though but they really think a little too highly of themselves over there.

Greystone is pretty decent...some funky holes. Not a fan of the quarry holes because they feel a little tricked up...but i do like 18.

If anyone can get out to Sharf....Do it! Awesome course, fun, challenging, in perfect shape...Absolutely love it! I miss working there with Larry and getting to play!

I live in AZ now but coming back next week...hoping to get out to Fieldstone...remember liking it quite a bit and being pretty impressed 5 or so years ago.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Twin Lakes is solid...I used to work with Larry Hamilton who was, not sure if still is, the teaching pro there....GREAT GUY btw.

The course is usually in good shape, fun to play, and pace is normally excellent. The Orchards is probably my favorite public course in the area, great shape, tough holes, risk/reward holes, good practice area, just simply solid...the only holes i don't like are 9 and 10 just because they feel weird to me off the tee.

Cherry Creek is meh....too much target golf...whenever i have to hit 3 wood 3 wood pitch on a par 5 due to "landing areas" I cringe...but they do have some good holes...Number 1 is a tough starter and i don't mind 6-9...2 is just stupid for a longer par 4 and i kind of like 10 and the par 3's on the back but that's it....they do have a decent practice area though but they really think a little too highly of themselves over there.

Greystone is pretty decent...some funky holes. Not a fan of the quarry holes because they feel a little tricked up...but i do like 18.

If anyone can get out to Sharf....Do it! Awesome course, fun, challenging, in perfect shape...Absolutely love it! I miss working there with Larry and getting to play!

I live in AZ now but coming back next week...hoping to get out to Fieldstone...remember liking it quite a bit and being pretty impressed 5 or so years ago.

I agree on all fronts...especially sharf. I'll be out there next Thursday and should have room for another fyi.

I agree on all fronts...especially sharf. I'll be out there next Thursday and should have room for another fyi.

what time should I be there? :)

what time should I be there? :)

Lol, tbd as of yet. I'll update when i know more, but probably around 3 or 4. :)

Oh dang! It may be hard as i'm flying home to visit family and it's hard to peel away sometimes, but if something changes, i'll let you know!

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Hi there gents... I'm invading the DTW thread, visiting from the Colorado WRX thread elsewhere in the forums :-)

In town for this weekend visiting family. I grew up in Northville, and the wife and I get back a couple times per year to visit. It's always a nice change of pace to get out and play a tree lined golf course, of the sort we don't have back in Colorado.

Last time home I played Golden Fox, Northville Hills, and Tanglewood. Also played a quick front-9 at Hilltop. I have great memories of $10-15 twilight rounds there a middle/high school student.

This trip, I'm playing Classic Fox with some buddies of mine on Sunday. I just snagged a single for Monday morning at Moose Ridge to go out and play for the first time. The lady working at Carls in Plymouth told me about it last time I was home, when I stopped by to get another dozen balls. I don't remember this course from when I lived here before... moved away in 2007. When did it open? I'm pretty excited to play it, based on the photos and descriptions on the website. Anything 'local knowledge' I should be aware of out there?

One of these day's I need to line up one of my UM alumni friends to get on the Mackenzie course. Anyplace else within 20-30 minutes of the Northville/Novi/Plymouth area that I should check out while home?

Hi there gents... I'm invading the DTW thread, visiting from the Colorado WRX thread elsewhere in the forums :-)

In town for this weekend visiting family. I grew up in Northville, and the wife and I get back a couple times per year to visit. It's always a nice change of pace to get out and play a tree lined golf course, of the sort we don't have back in Colorado.

Last time home I played Golden Fox, Northville Hills, and Tanglewood. Also played a quick front-9 at Hilltop. I have great memories of $10-15 twilight rounds there a middle/high school student.

This trip, I'm playing Classic Fox with some buddies of mine on Sunday. I just snagged a single for Monday morning at Moose Ridge to go out and play for the first time. The lady working at Carls in Plymouth told me about it last time I was home, when I stopped by to get another dozen balls. I don't remember this course from when I lived here before... moved away in 2007. When did it open? I'm pretty excited to play it, based on the photos and descriptions on the website. Anything 'local knowledge' I should be aware of out there?

One of these day's I need to line up one of my UM alumni friends to get on the Mackenzie course. Anyplace else within 20-30 minutes of the Northville/Novi/Plymouth area that I should check out while home?

Salem Hills in Plymouth, Links of Novi, Eagle Crest in Ypsilanti, St John's in Plymouth (they are closing the course after this season) Pheasant Run in Canton, and Cattails in South Lyon are some of my favorites.

Moose Ridge is nice overall. Lots of undulations but also a couple quirky dogleg holes. You should enjoy it.

Salem Hills in Plymouth, Links of Novi, Eagle Crest in Ypsilanti, St John's in Plymouth (they are closing the course after this season) Pheasant Run in Canton, and Cattails in South Lyon are some of my favorites.

I've played Salem Hills a bunch. Back in the day, I did summer junior golf programs there thru Northville Parks & Rec. St Johns is just down the road from the home I grew up in, so I've been there a lot as well. I had heard that they sold some land for development, but I was under the impression that it was just one of the 9's. Is the whole course shutting down?

Eagle Crest & Cattails are new ones to me. I'll have to look those up. Thanks for the recs!

Looks like the weather the next few days is going to be pretty good. Enjoy the holiday, and play well everyone.

I've played Salem Hills a bunch. Back in the day, I did summer junior golf programs there thru Northville Parks & Rec. St Johns is just down the road from the home I grew up in, so I've been there a lot as well. I had heard that they sold some land for development, but I was under the impression that it was just one of the 9's. Is the whole course shutting down?

Correct, per this it sounds like they are going to eliminate 9 holes.

It would be nice if they could just scrap the entire course and give it a proper redesign and make it more of a destination. The property has great potential but the course is so meh. What they charge now it never worth it over the much better courses in the area which sucks as it has one of the most convenient locations in all of metro Detroit being right off the exit and not too far from A2.

I'd would nice during this project if Carl's could get control of the property where the green is for #8 + and the entire #9 hole of the Mark right there along 5 Mile and turn that area into a membership-type short game area like they have at Fox Hills and Miles of Golf and/or expand on their building to create a space for a couple indoor sims and putting area for the winter.

Beautiful forecast for today...finally! who's playing? I've got a 12:20 at Sharf :)

Playing tomorrow, Radrick Farms. I miss Katke and Sharf (OU alum). I really need to get back out there and play again. OU facilities might be best in SE Michigan. 2 amazing courses. Nice range. Awesome clubhouse. Short game area.

51* Srixon Z785 

Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

Beautiful forecast for today...finally! who's playing? I've got a 12:20 at Sharf :)

Sharf and Katke... can you just schedule a tee time as a non affiliated player? or do you have to be accompanied by a member? Never played either, lived in the area for years and feeling like i need to play there haha

You need to be accompanied by a member as far as I know.

To each his own, obviously. I absolutely love Cherry's layout. Some long 3s, some short 3s, some long 4s, some short 4s. Greens are much better the last couple of years than previously, as it seems like they have stopped overwatering. In fact, playing there Saturday, weather permitting!

I was an OU member until this year. Got enough friends to get out there whenever I want. Played Shard last week. That course is so easy compared to Katke, I'm always surprised at the rating and slope, which is nearly identical to Katke.