Metro Detroit Area Golfers (NO COVID-19, POLITICS)

MI517

I got over to Carl's and hit a bucket of balls today. Man was it packed and I went at 2:45, which I thought would be a slow time, kind of in between the lunch and after work crowds.

The good news is my swing changes are feeling more comfortable with every session.

What are you working on?

I was taking the club back too far inside, which was pulling my shoulder and head down and toward the ball. Then I would have to get out of the way on my downswing. It was causing me to be too steep and over the top.

I'm working on taking the club back more outside now which is allowing me to stay tall at the top and get the club more in the slot on the way down.

It was pretty tough at first. I was cold topping almost half my shots during the first range session after the change. I still have a couple weeks before I head south so here's to hoping it feels natural by then :)

It's tough to break years of habits. Are you seeing much of a change in ball flight compared to what you used to do?

I'm going through my own kind of rebuild over the winter, and I'm not all the way there yet, but I've managed to totally change my predominant ball flight (from a draw to a fade), and my recent rounds have been encouraging. My first two times out early in the year were ugly (but by myself so I could treat it as an extended practice session), but as I've gotten more confident that the ball is going to react the way I want most of the time, it's been rewarding to see the work paying off.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I got over to Carl's and hit a bucket of balls today. Man was it packed and I went at 2:45, which I thought would be a slow time, kind of in between the lunch and after work crowds.

The good news is my swing changes are feeling more comfortable with every session.

What are you working on?

I was taking the club back too far inside, which was pulling my shoulder and head down and toward the ball. Then I would have to get out of the way on my downswing. It was causing me to be too steep and over the top.

I'm working on taking the club back more outside now which is allowing me to stay tall at the top and get the club more in the slot on the way down.

It was pretty tough at first. I was cold topping almost half my shots during the first range session after the change. I still have a couple weeks before I head south so here's to hoping it feels natural by then :)

It's tough to break years of habits. Are you seeing much of a change in ball flight compared to what you used to do?

I'm going through my own kind of rebuild over the winter, and I'm not all the way there yet, but I've managed to totally change my predominant ball flight (from a draw to a fade), and my recent rounds have been encouraging. My first two times out early in the year were ugly (but by myself so I could treat it as an extended practice session), but as I've gotten more confident that the ball is going to react the way I want most of the time, it's been rewarding to see the work paying off.

Yeah I'm hitting the ball much higher now, which is great.

I guess the one nice thing about living in a colder climate is that we have an off-season to rebuild our swings. I never would have tried this during the season. I'm not much of a range guy. My back issues just don't allow me to hit 500 balls a week so I would have had to figure it out on the course or quit playing and hit the range in limited fashion instead. Both scenarios seem crappy mid-season when you're trying to have fun and score.

It's been a weird winter, and in a way it's been really good timing to make a swing change. I expected to spend most of Dec-Feb freezing my a** off hitting balls on the range, but I think I've played 5 times already this year in Michigan (once in FL, too). I've been good about practicing--other than a trip to L.A., I haven't gone more than 3 days without hitting balls since I started the process. During the stretches where it was just range time, it felt like I was making progress (most times--there were a couple times when I had too many thoughts going on and not enough focus where it was a little frustrating), but it's been nice being able to go test it out on the course periodically.

I still haven't gotten my swing where I want it -- I'm still not keeping my shoulders turning through the downswing like I need to -- but my on-course experience so far has shown that playing a fade most of the time is more reliable and it's allowing me to take the left side out of play for the most part. So far, by double crosses are straight pulls rather than pull hooks, so they've usually stayed in play.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Attended perhaps my final "Michigan Golf Show" today. The show is over run with non-golf exhibitors and the remaining golf related sites are mostly pretty lame. I did score a 2 for 1 card for Washtenaw Golf Club and a few other free bees so the event was not a total loss. Had a nice conversation with the rep running the Bermuda booth. That is a place I would like to visit. On the whole, though, it was fairly unexciting.

I say "perhaps" because next year, when there is a foot of snow on the ground, I may need to do ANYTHING golf related.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been relaxing in the Austin/San Antonio area. Nice to see a ball bounce and roll a bit in the fairway. Greens are transitioning to Bermuda so no long putts are being holed. All I hear from the Soggy Mitten are tales of cool temps and rain. Looks like the shorts go back into the bottom drawer when I return. Sigh.

I left Michigan 10 days ago for my annual work road trip to Naples, FL. I've been lucky to play golf in WV, NC, SC and FL along the way. It was interesting to see the temps and condition of the greens change along the way, as well as the prices, haha! I'm currently in Fort Myers on vacation with the fam for 5 more days and hopefully will get a couple more rounds in, but mostly family time as this point.

Beckley, WV - 50 degrees and windy, cart path only, super slow greens

Asheville, NC - 62 degrees and cloudy, recently aerated and top dressed greens (insane video game style mountain golf; will post some pics once I transfer them from my phone)

Hilton Head, SC - 79 degrees and sunny, very green and nice looking greens, decent speed

Naples, FL - 87 degrees and sunny, green/brownish greens, very true and super fast

Been relaxing in the Austin/San Antonio area. Nice to see a ball bounce and roll a bit in the fairway. Greens are transitioning to Bermuda so no long putts are being holed. All I hear from the Soggy Mitten are tales of cool temps and rain. Looks like the shorts go back into the bottom drawer when I return. Sigh.

I left Michigan 10 days ago for my annual work road trip to Naples, FL. I've been lucky to play golf in WV, NC, SC and FL along the way. It was interesting to see the temps and condition of the greens change along the way, as well as the prices, haha! I'm currently in Fort Myers on vacation with the fam for 5 more days and hopefully will get a couple more rounds in, but mostly family time as this point.

Beckley, WV - 50 degrees and windy, cart path only, super slow greens

Asheville, NC - 62 degrees and cloudy, recently aerated and top dressed greens (insane video game style mountain golf; will post some pics once I transfer them from my phone)

Hilton Head, SC - 79 degrees and sunny, very green and nice looking greens, decent speed

Naples, FL - 87 degrees and sunny, green/brownish greens, very true and super fast

It's hard to tell, but in the last picture the drop from tee to green was 450 feet! you couldn't see the green because it was behind a bunch of trees on the right, but I decided to hit driver and try to land it on. I hit my best drive of the day and landed pin high 5 feet left of the green. I got greedy on my chip and blew it by and only ended up with a par, lol.

What course, and is that in Ashville?

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

What course, and is that in Ashville?

Sequoyah National. It's about 40 miles west of Asheville in a town called Cherokee.

Looks awesome!!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

I went a little crazy with the "thrill of the hunt" and ended up picking up 18 dozen Kirkland Signatures over the last two days. Oops!

Do you give them away as gifts? 216 golf balls is a lot of ammo. It might take me 3-4 years to plow through that supply and I play 100+ rounds a year.

Switching directions, I heard the new K Sig's are slightly different (K-Sig Red vs K-Sig Black or something like that). Is that correct?

I went a little crazy with the "thrill of the hunt" and ended up picking up 18 dozen Kirkland Signatures over the last two days. Oops!

Do you give them away as gifts? 216 golf balls is a lot of ammo. It might take me 3-4 years to plow through that supply and I play 100+ rounds a year.

Switching directions, I heard the new K Sig's are slightly different (K-Sig Red vs K-Sig Black or something like that). Is that correct?

I know it will take years to play that many balls, so I will be giving some to my dad and friends. I didn't notice a difference between the balls at all, but I can't say for certain.

... I didn't notice a difference between the balls at all, but I can't say for certain.

I decided I was lazy so I looked for myself. Here is an excerpt from a recent article.

As noted by "*Unnamed* but there is the word Spy in it", the U.S. Golf Association as of March 1 [2017] has approved a new Costco Kirkland Signature ball identified as the "Performance One." The previous Kirkland Performance ball that cost just $15 a dozen before apparently going the way of the dodo was the "Tour Performance."

The article mentioned that both balls are 4 layer urethane covered balls and they think the manufacturer remains the same.

When you have had a chance to use the balls a bit, maybe give us a report.

Anyone have input on Tanglewood Golf course? I have decided to join a league there and have never played. Is it in good shape?

Decent course, a little above average for the Metro area. Having 27 holes should help to keep it fresh for a league situation. It's overpriced for retail golf, but that shouldn't affect you.

Anyone have input on Tanglewood Golf course? I have decided to join a league there and have never played. Is it in good shape?

Decent course, a little above average for the Metro area. Having 27 holes should help to keep it fresh for a league situation. It's overpriced for retail golf, but that shouldn't affect you.

Agreed with all of this. For retail golf it seems the whole SL and Novi area is getting pricy.

reading this thread, especially as it relates to the weather, really makes me glad I moved to AZ lol......I do however visit 1x per year in July to see family....How has Fieldstone been over the last couple years? I haven't been there in a while but wanted to play it this year when I visit.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Plan on about a 5+ hour round if you're going to play it on the weekend. It's usually in decent shape, and even though I live relatively close I'll only play it once a year because of the pace of play.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

One 9 is fairly boring but you can score, one is tougher but has a few holes where I don't really like the layout, and the lakes is a good 9 all the way through. The second toughest 9, my least favorite, ends on a cool par 5 heading back to the clubhouse. It's got a few areas that are lower than the rest of the course so when I played it early spring or late fall I would hope to skip that one because it would be wet. It's been a few years but I used to play there all the time, greens were always decent enough for a public track. Staff was friendly and back then they had some attractive help in the bar.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link