2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Metro Detroit Area Golfers (NO COVID-19, POLITICS)

MI517

What's the scoop on Lyon Oaks in Wixom? I just found out I'll be playing there in a work outing. It will be my first time there.

Probably the best of the municipal courses around the area -- it's an Arthur Hills course, so if you've played Pheasant Run in Canton, Stonebridge in Ann Arbor, or the Hills course at Boyne Highlands, it'll look pretty familiar. There's two very similar short par 4s in a row on the back nine that are kind of unexciting forced layups, but overall, it's a pretty nice course, usually in really good shape.

Thanks 3JP. I haven't actually played any of those courses, haha.

His architectural style is pretty consistent--kind of links-inspired. Fairly friendly off the tee for high handicappers, but there's usually a strategic advantage to one side or another. A fair bit of mounding around the edges of fairways and greens, but nothing totally out of control. If you're playing well, it's possible to go low on his courses.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

What's the scoop on Lyon Oaks in Wixom? I just found out I'll be playing there in a work outing. It will be my first time there.

Probably the best of the municipal courses around the area -- it's an Arthur Hills course, so if you've played Pheasant Run in Canton, Stonebridge in Ann Arbor, or the Hills course at Boyne Highlands, it'll look pretty familiar. There's two very similar short par 4s in a row on the back nine that are kind of unexciting forced layups, but overall, it's a pretty nice course, usually in really good shape.

Thanks 3JP. I haven't actually played any of those courses, haha.

His architectural style is pretty consistent--kind of links-inspired. Fairly friendly off the tee for high handicappers, but there's usually a strategic advantage to one side or another. A fair bit of mounding around the edges of fairways and greens, but nothing totally out of control. If you're playing well, it's possible to go low on his courses.

Cool. I will be anchoring a team of hacks. Unfortunately nobody else at my job is really into golf, but we're going to have a good turnout because it's being held by a supplier who's footing the bill, including unlimited drinks. We never get invited to stuff like this so I'm actually pretty excited about it being that it's on a Friday and I won't have to actually work.

Anyone know of a driving range near Gowanie? No range to warm up before am qualifier, tee time is 9:30 so would need to be something that opens @8

Barrymore's m59 (hall road) & card roads 4.1 miles to Gowanie

Jawors Gratiot and little mack roads 5.4 miles

sycamore golf club 21 1/2 mile and north ave. 5.5 miles

best of luck in the mich. qualifier

Not sure if Pinckney counts as Metro Detroit, but just a heads-up for anyone interested. At Timber Trace, there's a gas pipeline being run through the property, and it's really affecting course conditions. The 6th hole usually plays as a long par 4, but there's an area about 100 yards wide that is torn up between what is normally the landing area for the tee shot, and the green, so they have it playing to a temp green in the fairway, making it play around 290 yards. The project has also forced them to turn off the irrigation system, which is making it play extremely firm. Chipping was extremely difficult, as a result. It did make for some bombs off the tee, though (I reached the temp green on 6 with a 3 wood, and was way longer than normal on a couple of other holes). You might want to avoid the place for a month or so. I heard they were going to try to fire up the sprinklers yesterday, but I'm not sure how soon they'll have #6 fixed up. It was still a very roughly filled in area of dirt on Saturday, but if they're able to smooth it out and lay down sod soon, it might be back close to normal in maybe 6 weeks, I'd guess.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Not sure if Pinckney counts as Metro Detroit, but just a heads-up for anyone interested. At Timber Trace, there's a gas pipeline being run through the property, and it's really affecting course conditions. The 6th hole usually plays as a long par 4, but there's an area about 100 yards wide that is torn up between what is normally the landing area for the tee shot, and the green, so they have it playing to a temp green in the fairway, making it play around 290 yards. The project has also forced them to turn off the irrigation system, which is making it play extremely firm. Chipping was extremely difficult, as a result. It did make for some bombs off the tee, though (I reached the temp green on 6 with a 3 wood, and was way longer than normal on a couple of other holes). You might want to avoid the place for a month or so. I heard they were going to try to fire up the sprinklers yesterday, but I'm not sure how soon they'll have #6 fixed up. It was still a very roughly filled in area of dirt on Saturday, but if they're able to smooth it out and lay down sod soon, it might be back close to normal in maybe 6 weeks, I'd guess.

Always liked that course but felt the bunkers needed work.

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

Always liked that course but felt the bunkers needed work.

Still true...

I had a 10th place finish at the Horton Smith Championship this year at DGC. Improved 9 spots over last year. Side note: TP5x ball is terrible on wedge shots

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

I had a 10th place finish at the Horton Smith Championship this year at DGC. Improved 9 spots over last year. Side note: TP5x ball is terrible on wedge shots

Congrats! And agree, the TP5X is awful with wedges, at least in my hands. Im sure others have found it to great for their game, but for me, it leaves a lot to be desired.

51* Srixon Z785 

Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

Congrats! That's a cool tournament. I still kick myself for not responding when I got an invite a few years ago. I didn't know what it was at the time, and didn't realize it was a fairly tough thing to get invited to (I'm still not sure why I got it--only thing I can think of was that I played well in the Mid-Am and finished top 30 the year before).

Congrats! And agree, the TP5X is awful with wedges, at least in my hands. Im sure others have found it to great for their game, but for me, it leaves a lot to be desired.

Just curious, what are you guys seeing with your wedge shots?

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

Lack of consistent spin is the main culprit. It really plays like a distance ball for me 100 yards and in, especially around the green. I just can't get it bite like my XV's. The XV is hit and stop with irons and wedges. I know exactly how much spin I can expect on chips and pitches around the green.

51* Srixon Z785 

Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

Anyone know of a driving range near Gowanie? No range to warm up before am qualifier, tee time is 9:30 so would need to be something that opens @8

How did the qualifier go? Moving on to the big dance?

Was actually playing caddy for the day, my friend made it easily he played really well. I had a ton of fun looping without any of the pressure of hitting the shots.

Congrats TBuzz, I was following the leaderboard.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Shots that I am expecting to hit a low flighted spinner don't come out low at all and they don't spin even close to what I am accustomed to with ProV1x. I really like to flight my wedges low whenever possible and the TP5x just isn't performing like I expected it to. Those "trap" wedges that im usually precise with turn into a game of defense and I hate that feeling with a wedge in my hands. I am debating right now to play 1 more tournament with TP5x or go exchange the stock I bought for something else that reacts better off my wedges. ProV1x is always an option for me but I may try something else if anyone has any detailed recommendations

Current WITB

BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

Shots that I am expecting to hit a low flighted spinner don't come out low at all and they don't spin even close to what I am accustomed to with ProV1x. I really like to flight my wedges low whenever possible and the TP5x just isn't performing like I expected it to. Those "trap" wedges that im usually precise with turn into a game of defense and I hate that feeling with a wedge in my hands. I am debating right now to play 1 more tournament with TP5x or go exchange the stock I bought for something else that reacts better off my wedges. ProV1x is always an option for me but I may try something else if anyone has any detailed recommendations

XV. Long and consistent spin around the green. Extremely durable, too. Give it a whirl.

51* Srixon Z785 

Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

XV. Long and consistent spin around the green. Extremely durable, too. Give it a whirl.

You're the 3rd person to recommend these so I may revisit them for this weekend. In a way I want to give the TP5x one more try to see if it was really the course conditions that wouldn't allow any bite but at the same time I am still not getting the flighted wedge shots I like so I have some thinking to do. I'm playing the Michigan Medal Play Championship at Pheasant Run and their greens are usually softer... plus we play all 27 holes each day and there isn't a 1 ball rule so I may play 9 with the TP5x, 9 with ProV1x and then 9 with Z Star XV and see what happens.

Current WITB

BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

You're the 3rd person to recommend these so I may revisit them for this weekend. In a way I want to give the TP5x one more try to see if it was really the course conditions that wouldn't allow any bite but at the same time I am still not getting the flighted wedge shots I like so I have some thinking to do. I'm playing the Michigan Medal Play Championship at Pheasant Run and their greens are usually softer... plus we play all 27 holes each day and there isn't a 1 ball rule so I may play 9 with the TP5x, 9 with ProV1x and then 9 with Z Star XV and see what happens.

Its been awhile since we played together, but from what I remember, you will really like this ball. I feel it shines with the wedges. I don't flight it quite it much as you, but you can get a lot out of the ball. Great in the wind, too.

Good luck!

51* Srixon Z785 

Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

I'd give the TP5x another shot at Pheasant Run. Played in an outing at DGC the day following the Horton Smith and the greens were cement. I may have fixed 2-3 pitch marks all day. I hit my mid-short irons w quite a bit of spin and couldn't get anything to stop to the point where i just started walking to the areas behind the greens to find my ball by the back 9. I play DGC twice a year and this was by far the hardest i've seen those greens.

Give it another shot.

Officially done with the TP5x. It just will not react on the greens. On the Srixon XV train now.

Current WITB

BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

Officially done with the TP5x. It just will not react on the greens. On the Srixon XV train now.

Have you played around with the XV yet?

51* Srixon Z785 

Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

We played 27 yesterday and another 27 today. I played the final 9 with XV yesterday and I liked it a lot so I got 2 dozen after the round. Trajectory control was on point and it is long off the tee with plenty of short game stopping power.

Current WITB

BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

9 birdies today with the XV. It's here to stay for a long time

Current WITB

BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

We played 27 yesterday and another 27 today. I played the final 9 with XV yesterday and I liked it a lot so I got 2 dozen after the round. Trajectory control was on point and it is long off the tee with plenty of short game stopping power.

Thought you would like it. I found it to be as you described as well. It's just a complete ball and performs consistently.

9 birdies today with the XV. It's here to stay for a long time

Dann. Nice round!

51* Srixon Z785 

Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

• 3 weeks later...