2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

The Hunt for Traditional Golf Shoes

Just installed metal spikes into the Justin shoes. Next: to record nostalgic sound on concrete, develop database of all golf courses in the USA that allow traditional metal spikes. Might be a small database.

8bit, I can't wait to hear the spikes on the cart paths and ballwasher spike cleaners!

And, the smell of an old Lucky Strike wafting in the wind while listening to these nostalgic sounds.

I don't like cigarette smoke, but that aroma will be with me, along with the soundtrack of spikes on concrete, walking from the 9th green, across the parking lot to the 10th tee.

• Like 1

My remembrances of traditional golf shoes (FJ, Etonic) was how much my feet hurt after playing a round of golf in them. Hot, heavy, inflexible, miserable to walk in, prone to leaking when wet. Can't ever see myself returning to them. Give me a comfortable shoe based on an athletic last. Function over form. WTS, 98% of the new shoe styling is horrid, that I wouldn't spend my money on.

But I've been questioned the need to wear "golf" shoes altogether after switching over to spikeless Ecco's. The "spikes" have worn down to practically nubs, entirely to quickly given the $$ that was paid for them. Disappointing. Have a pair of ASICS Gels that are perfectly comfortable, have as good a turf grip as the Ecco's, and are half the price. Even have a couple of different colors to suit my mood. Spring and fall, its the Merrill Gore-Tex hiking shoes. Warm and dry in any and all conditions.

But I'm not attempting to make any sartorial statement while out playing at golf. Simply do not want my feet to hurt while doing so. I digress from the intent of the thread. So pardon the interruption. Too each their own.

(Here we go again)....BITD, (early 70's) I had the FJ Wingtips in black/patent, brown/patent, white saddle, white wingtip,R/W/B patent wingtip, brown saddle...plus multiple "teaching" (what they now call "professional") shoes. All of the leather spiked shoes, I mink oiled the soles and welts, silicon sprayed the uppers, vaseline on the patent. I never had my feet get wet, and we played every day at 7:30, rain or shine. I never thought that they were heavy, but then again....we had nothing against which to measure that was any different. When I finished playing, I cleaned them with an old, soft toothbruch, cleaning out the welt, wiping off sand, grass, etc....and put the cedar shoe trees in them. These shoes, while being expensive, lasted for over 25 years. I would still have them, but I broke my left ankle in the early 80's, and didn't wear them nearly as much, opting for the teaching (crepe soled) shoes for playing, as my ankle could roll over to the outside much easier. Finally sold them in the early 2000's, and the person who got them received a great deal, as the size I wore (10 N) were exactly what he was needing. Even sold him the shoe trees, to keep them in good shape for another 30 years.

I, personally, like the lighter weight of the newer shoes, but...once you've worn the traditional leather soled shoes, nothing replaces them. They mold exactly to your feet, and properly prepared and cared for, never get your feet wet, and last forever.

Just my 2 cents worth

Probably depends on your feet and the shoes. I had a pair of white Etonic wing tips with spikes when I was a kid and then a pair of brown saddles with metal spikes in high school. Never bothered my feet, either of them, and I had to walk because I had no driver's license :)

I have worn some Scarpa trail runners with nubs like soft spikes on the course in the summer when it was real hot. I think it's a useful exercise to play without great traction and work on my balance, but one thing we've been grinding over in the Confessions thread is that you get all of the force you generate out of the ground. I do believe that. And, when I have money riding on the results I do think golf shoes are a piece of equipment and I want replaceable soft spikes with fresh spikes. I usually keep a pair or two with newer spikes around and wear the others that are starting to wear out for casual rounds. I noticed at one of qualifiers that all the top am's in our state were wearing aggressive spikes, so it's not just me.

I also like a pair of full grain leather "real" shoes like the FJ Icons for when I'm visiting a private club or want to look spiffy. Everyone is unique, I've got buddies that play out of nice clubs and wear crazy Nike Chukka's like Rory. That's become normal. But, for me, I like to dress the part whether at work or play. If I'm playing at a place with a locker room and a dress code then I wait to break out shorts and comfy shoes until I'm comfortable with the members.

Probably depends on your feet and the shoes. I had a pair of white Etonic wing tips with spikes when I was a kid and then a pair of brown saddles with metal spikes in high school. Never bothered my feet, either of them, and I had to walk because I had no driver's license :)

I have worn some Scarpa trail runners with nubs like soft spikes on the course in the summer when it was real hot. I think it's a useful exercise to play without great traction and work on my balance, but one thing we've been grinding over in the Confessions thread is that you get all of the force you generate out of the ground. I do believe that. And, when I have money riding on the results I do think golf shoes are a piece of equipment and I want replaceable soft spikes with fresh spikes. I usually keep a pair or two with newer spikes around and wear the others that are starting to wear out for casual rounds. I noticed at one of qualifiers that all the top am's in our state were wearing aggressive spikes, so it's not just me.

I also like a pair of full grain leather "real" shoes like the FJ Icons for when I'm visiting a private club or want to look spiffy. Everyone is unique, I've got buddies that play out of nice clubs and wear crazy Nike Chukka's like Rory. That's become normal. But, for me, I like to dress the part whether at work or play. If I'm playing at a place with a locker room and a dress code then I wait to break out shorts and comfy shoes until I'm comfortable with the members.

A perfect explanation of old-school vs today's approach to golf (and non-golf) fashion

Found these today at thrift store on way home from Home depot, spending more money on bathroom remodel instead of golfing

must be at least 20 years old, look to be barely worn beautiful red white and blue leather Foot joys, Have little round soft spikes

I always felt like Johnny Miller when I wore these FJ classics!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

AG, fully understand your need to wear traditional golf shoes, BITD. It was part of your professional uniform. Much as I, during my working career, needed to wear quality dress shoes as part of "my" professional uniform. Not to the office everyday, but out to consult with varying client base on a daily basis. Even with wearing good quality shoes (typically AE's, better than most), was glad to get them off my feet after a full day.

Fully aware that quality leather shoes can last a very long time. With proper break-in, care and maintenance. As evidenced by a pair of Vasque backpacking boots that I've had for decades and have been worn in conditions more extreme than one will ever find on a golf course. Leather still supple, waterproof, still supportive. Continued to be maintained even though I haven't worn them in years. The three month break-in period required before an extended backpacking trip liked to have killed my feet though. But today, with modern materials and construct, would not need to go through this exercise, there are better options. The point, no reason not to expect a pair of leather golf shoes, properly maintained, to remain waterproof and last for years.

Part of the fundamental problem with traditional golf shoes is they are still constructed (to the best of my knowledge) from what is essentially a dress shoe last. Which by definition means a narrower toe box. Therein lies part of the problem for my feet, or more specifically my toes. They always have felt constricted and prone to blistering while wearing such. Maybe construct has changed over the years. Not willing to spend $300+ to find out. When I know that comfortable shoes can be worn periodically....out on the golf course....that do not require a high degree of maintenance and/or break-in to make them comfortable.

Not wanting to come across as a complete Naysayer ITT. Suppose I have. Actually think some of these traditionally styled golf shoes are very cool. Hell, if I was to ever wear a pair of Plus 4's, I'd want to sport a pair of those fancy two-tone wingtips with the gold plated toes. All I'm attempting to say is for an everyday golf shoe, whacking it around at the course with the buds, comfort is paramount. No one is paying any attention to what I'm wearing, only to how I'm playing. Carry on.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

august golf your right about the older FJ shoes lasting for years. I had a pair of the black/patent wingtips that I wore for close to 30 years. I took care of those shoes after every round. Cleaned and polished but I never did the mink oil on the leather soles. I'm sure that helped quite a bit when you played in wet conditions. I had 5 different pairs of the FJ wingtips and they were all great shoes.

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked these up. These look almost mint (as the description stated). I paid a little more than I wanted to but these are leather soled golf shoes, in my size and width, and almost new. Lizard skin doesn't hurt either as these were around $500 per pair new.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Here are the soles of the shoes. I'd say worn once, maybe twice.

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Just installed metal spikes into the Justin shoes. Next: to record nostalgic sound on concrete, develop database of all golf courses in the USA that allow traditional metal spikes. Might be a small database.

8bit, I can't wait to hear the spikes on the cart paths and ballwasher spike cleaners!

And, the smell of an old Lucky Strike wafting in the wind while listening to these nostalgic sounds.

I don't like cigarette smoke, but that aroma will be with me, along with the soundtrack of spikes on concrete, walking from the 9th green, across the parking lot to the 10th tee.

I never have smoked but my old man smoked enough for me and him. Yep I remember the days of him and the old hustlers smoking those unfiltered Chesterfields,Lucky Strikes, Camels and Pall Mall. Actually those old unfiltered camels smell good to me but the rest of these modern cigarettes smell like crap burning. BTW Us kids used to call Lucky Strikes "Lucky Strokes"

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

I don't like any golf shoe that can't be shined or polished. Most of the new models seem to be of this variety. Fabrics or nylon instead of leather, etc. And the waterproofing on most new golf shoes seems to be worse than it's ever been. Dry-Joys circa 2000-2005 were the peak of quality in my opinion. Not exactly the most fashionable shoe these days, but they generally held their waterproofing for the duration of the warranty and didn't wear out fast. I always thought Contours were the most comfortable though. I posted in another thread that I bought a pair of Puma's a year or so ago and they lost their waterproofing on the first round, I threw them in the trash after the round.

Love the look of these. How good is the grip on these compared to a set of actual spiked golf shoes? I realize it will not be as solid, but I would like to know what the forums thoughts are on what provides the best grip in a soft spiked, classic shoe that would be accepted on most courses now. I have looked at picking up a set of vintage shoes and replacing the old metal spikes with the screw in soft spikes, but was really not sure either how to approach it, or if it was even cost effective to do so. Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated. Having worn out a set of the "soft spiked" tennis shoe style golf shoe that are common today in less than a year, I am interested something that is more durable and can be repaired rather than replaced.

Love the look of these. How good is the grip on these compared to a set of actual spiked golf shoes? I realize it will not be as solid, but I would like to know what the forums thoughts are on what provides the best grip in a soft spiked, classic shoe that would be accepted on most courses now. I have looked at picking up a set of vintage shoes and replacing the old metal spikes with the screw in soft spikes, but was really not sure either how to approach it, or if it was even cost effective to do so. Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated. Having worn out a set of the "soft spiked" tennis shoe style golf shoe that are common today in less than a year, I am interested something that is more durable and can be repaired rather than replaced.

The grip on these were never an issue for me. I used to wear these type of shoes with steel spikes so as long as the steel spikes weren't worn to the nub these gripped fine. Then soft spikes came out and again grip wasn't an issue. I doubt I will have any issues with these in terms of grip. I just hope they are wide enough for me. If not, I have a pair of shoe stretchers. :)

Take the shoes into your local pro shop and have them remove the spikes, or a spike, and purchase the appropriate spike. There's nothing to leather soled shoes while the soles are in good shape. When the time comes and they begin to delaminate then the shoes are done. At least now days.

I went thrifting today and I kid you not. I saw 4 pairs of those FJ Classics. Even a pair just like those black lizard skin ones. I would get all excited. Then WHAaaa Whaaaaa, check the size (I'm an 11) no it's like a 9.5 or 9 or 8. This was 4 different pairs but at 3 different stores. Talk about bad luck today.

Courses should let us wear spikes as long as we don't go in the clubhouse with them. Spikes were banned more because of damage to carpets, than because of damage to the course. People/clueless idiots dancing around the hole in "soft" spikes do more damage than a 90 IQ human with spikes.

• Like 1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

Courses should let us wear spikes as long as we don't go in the clubhouse with them. Spikes were banned more because of damage to carpets, than because of damage to the course. People/clueless idiots dancing around the hole in "soft" spikes do more damage than a 90 IQ human with spikes.

This is so true! I've seen greens torn up due to golfers twisting their feet when changing direction walking rather than picking their damned feet up! I don't recall this ever being an issue with metal spikes. Also, those lovely soft spikes don't clean very easily and i'm always picking up clumps of clippings that players deposit on the carpets in the clubhouse! :angry:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I think they were deemed a liability as a fall hazard on wet wood, too. But, I agree and would play them when it's real wet if allowed.

I went thrifting today and I kid you not. I saw 4 pairs of those FJ Classics. Even a pair just like those black lizard skin ones. I would get all excited. Then WHAaaa Whaaaaa, check the size (I'm an 11) no it's like a 9.5 or 9 or 8. This was 4 different pairs but at 3 different stores. Talk about bad luck today.

If they are a decent price and in good nick you should consider buying them and selling in eBay. From the profit invest in some that do fit!

If they are a decent price and in good nick you should consider buying them and selling in eBay. From the profit invest in some that do fit!

Flipping is on hold till I can sell off other things I had intended to flip.

• 4 months later...

I just picked up these Footjoy Classic w/Ostrich saddle. These are brand new, never worn and they fit! Looking forward to rotating these in play.

Would best describe these as being........different. Look like Velvet Jones' shoes. Heavy. Not particularly comfortable, but they fit. Sure as hell wouldn't want to walk 18 in them. All leather, made in the USA. FJ Classic Drys. Great shape. My size, 12D. A rare occurrence finding golf shoes that aren't all beat up at a thrift store. At first glance, thought they were ugly as sin. Kept looking at them. Walked away. Came back. Don't know where or when I'll ever wear them. Probably a faux pas look if worn with the usual shorts. But only $10.00. Bought 'em. Put some new spikes in them, good to go.

Guess I have some shoes to wear if I ever receive an invite to the "Club" for a round.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Would best describe these as being........different. Look like Velvet Jones' shoes. Heavy. Not particularly comfortable, but they fit. Sure as hell wouldn't want to walk 18 in them. All leather, made in the USA. FJ Classic Drys. Great shape. My size, 12D. A rare occurrence finding golf shoes that aren't all beat up at a thrift store. At first glance, thought they were ugly as sin. Kept looking at them. Walked away. Came back. Don't know where or when I'll ever wear them. Probably a faux pas look if worn with the usual shorts. But only $10.00. Bought 'em. Put some new spikes in them, good to go.

Guess I have some shoes to wear if I ever receive an invite to the "Club" for a round.

Doug,

I'd screw some metal spikes into those babies and take the dog for a walk! Imagine hearing that wonderful sound of real spikes on concrete or blacktop! Music to my ears!!!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

• 3 weeks later...

I have no luck in finding good classic shoes. I just picked up a nice pair of classic Mizuno's. Light carbon fibre sole, but what I didn't realise is that the cermec spikes are permanent and can not be removed. So the search continues....

J

Yamaha W-602
'58 MT PT1 2W
'55 Tommy Armour 945's
Tad Moore "47 Rookie", a TM6? or maybe an 8802 today....

This is so true! I've seen greens torn up due to golfers twisting their feet when changing direction walking rather than picking their damned feet up! I don't recall this ever being an issue with metal spikes. Also, those lovely soft spikes don't clean very easily and i'm always picking up clumps of clippings that players deposit on the carpets in the clubhouse! :angry:

Shhhh! A while back I tried to put forth this opinion, and got jumped and called all sorts of things and got thrown in jail when I tried to defend myself even though I did not throw the first punch(es). I had found some leather bottom shoes (a small manufacturer called Andante - do a google search for those looking) and put some champ steels in them and said my head pro didn't mind if I wore them late in the day as a single, but that was not good enough for the WRX vigilante...

Shhhh! A while back I tried to put forth this opinion, and got jumped and called all sorts of things and got thrown in jail when I tried to defend myself even though I did not throw the first punch(es). I had found some leather bottom shoes (a small manufacturer called Andante - do a google search for those looking) and put some champ steels in them and said my head pro didn't mind if I wore them late in the day as a single, but that was not good enough for the WRX vigilante...

Back in the mid 90's, I remember our Titleist/FJ rep excitedly relaying their research that (metal) spike marks were reduced by 94% simply by reducing spike length from 6mm to 4mm. It's all about clubhouse carpet wear and hardwood floor preservation, and that's all it's ever been about (with a slight nod to the fast-wearing soft spike replacement biz). Pretty surprising really, given the litigious nature of our society and the vastly inferior grip soft spike shoes provide compared to metal, especially in wet conditions. I recently took a header on wet plywood covering a bridge over a creek while carrying and I was walking like I was on eggshells. While unhurt, I certainly could have been. The pi$$er was I had no choice but to cross there, 80 yards away on a similar bridge, or wade across...

Nickent 4DX Evolver 10.5*  UST Proforce V2 HL 60R

Innovex RLS 17* 4W    Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Tipped R

Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4H   Litespeed R

Adams A7 5-GW   UST Proforce 85R

Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In 55/12 SW    Cleveland Action Lite S     

Cleveland TA 900 gunmetal 60*  Nicklaus Driveshaft R+

Slotline Raider Copper Cobalt 35"

or Ray Cook M1-A Austin  35"