2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

The 2016 Open Championship Discussion Thread

PZero

No, I get your rant 100%.....it is you that are having a hard time understanding the game of Golf (apologies if you're new to the game), you are whining about the 'unfairness' that can come with the Open Championship draw. All I'm saying is....try get over it and enjoy the spectacle. It's Championship Links Golf, and it's perfectly fair as no-one can or should ever try to prejudge the weather when the draw is made. The weather does and should play a part as it's an outdoor sport. Factor it in at any given time, and you'll be fine, fail to factor it in and let the 'unfairness' get into your head, and you'll fail. That's how Golf is played over here. End of story really. But as I said, I'm sure that the R&A would welcome any suggestions of how to combat your discourse. But really, if it upsets you so much, then don't watch it. Simple. Now, if Mrt99 has nothing more positive to add, can we get on please.

You're not very bright, are you? The only one ranting and whining here is you. And JaNelson has provided a suggestion (split tees) that would improve things (interestingly enough a former PGA Tour player (and current Fox commentator) advocated for the same thing on twitter this afternoon).

You're insults show you're getting rattled. As I have already said previously, split tees will not work on so many 'out and back' old Links Courses that are on the Open Rota. Imagine the logistics of having to ferry half the field all day nearly to Prestwick, through the Course and spectators to get to the 10th Tee. Or getting half the field right out nearly 2 miles on The Old Course to the Eden Estuary, through all the spectators all day, and nearly 2 miles from the practice facilities. It's laughable your ignorance of the Courses over here mate!

Your inability to understand the difference between your and you're show you're getting rattled...

Having played and walked tons of links golf courses over there I understand the logistics. And as noted above, it's the year 2016 and very possible (the USGA was able to make Merion work, I'm sure the R&A could do the same at St. Andrews). But keep ranting, jay...

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I get your rant 100%.....it is you that are having a hard time understanding the game of Golf (apologies if you're new to the game), you are whining about the 'unfairness' that can come with the Open Championship draw. All I'm saying is....try get over it and enjoy the spectacle. It's Championship Links Golf, and it's perfectly fair as no-one can or should ever try to prejudge the weather when the draw is made. The weather does and should play a part as it's an outdoor sport. Factor it in at any given time, and you'll be fine, fail to factor it in and let the 'unfairness' get into your head, and you'll fail. That's how Golf is played over here. End of story really. But as I said, I'm sure that the R&A would welcome any suggestions of how to combat your discourse. But really, if it upsets you so much, then don't watch it. Simple. Now, if Mrt99 has nothing more positive to add, can we get on please.

They want green painted divots. And taped birdsong.

Lol. Does anyone know what time the tee times are for tomorrow? I need to check the weather! :swoon:

The reality - you canna change the weather.

The reality - the player that wins'll have ball of steel.

All spellin mistakes optional.

You're not very bright, are you? The only one ranting and whining here is you. And JaNelson has provided a suggestion (split tees) that would improve things (interestingly enough a former PGA Tour player (and current Fox commentator) advocated for the same thing on twitter this afternoon).

You're insults show you're getting rattled. As I have already said previously, split tees will not work on so many 'out and back' old Links Courses that are on the Open Rota. Imagine the logistics of having to ferry half the field all day nearly to Prestwick, through the Course and spectators to get to the 10th Tee. Or getting half the field right out nearly 2 miles on The Old Course to the Eden Estuary, through all the spectators all day, and nearly 2 miles from the practice facilities. It's laughable your ignorance of the Courses over here mate!

Your inability to understand the difference between your and you're show you're getting rattled...

Having played and walked tons of links golf courses over there I understand the logistics. And as noted above, it's the year 2016 and very possible (the USGA was able to make Merion work, I'm sure the R&A could do the same at St. Andrews). But keep ranting, jay...

Disagreeing with you is not ranting. If you had played any of those Championship Courses and been to The Open Championship, instead of anecdotal claims, then you would truly understand how logistically impossible a 2 tee start would be on many of them. And as you obviously didn't know or understand, The US Open at Merrion was an exception done where the weather can be forecast well ahead with far more accuracy than over here. In addition to that Merrions set up is totally different to Troon or The Old Course. At Merrion the USGA dictated a hole 1 and Hole 11 two tee start (have a look at the Course maps for The Old Course and Royal Troon and you will see how they drastically differ from Merrion). The 1st Green and 11th tee at Merrion are close by each other so it was possible, but it's not like that at Troon or the Old Course to facilitate a 2 tee start. However, if you want answer, you should address your 'ideas' if you have any, to the R&A instead of spoiling a perfectly good thread. You've brought nothing to it but moaning about the weather and how it effects the draw, so yes we get your concerns, so go and address them to the R&A with your 'suggestions' and they will tell you the same thing why a 2 tee start simply won't work (see above), and let us all get on with the more interesting features of this thread, for all our sakes purleeez!

Delighted for Matthew Southgate to make the cut! One year ago today he was having surgery brought on because of a cancer diagnosis. Today he was making the cut in The Open. That is pretty damn special.

It's funny seeing people who aren't even playing the the tournament moaning about the tee times. I can't think of many, if any, complaints I have heard from the players who were out in the worst of it today. It's golf in the UK, the weather is about as predictable as the lottery numbers. The really bad weather today lasted for a couple of hours, the guys that were in the afternoon wave would have still had to deal with it. If they went to a two tee start you guys would be complaining that half the field is starting on the easier nine and able to get into a good run where the others are starting on a brutal 9 and not able to get into the round.

Typically it gets winder in the afternoon. Typically the leaders go out in the afternoon. Should we have them go out in the morning because they are playing better and it's not really fair that the guys playing worst get the chance to catch up with the leaders? Oh and the guys out last get the worst of the greens. Lets have greenkeepers with rollers on every hole to sort the greens out after every player has been through. Yeah, the round will take 10 hours but we have to be fair.

Give me a break.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Did Rory slap the sand in disgust after that poor bunker shot? If he did should he gave been penalised?

You can do what you like with the sand once the ball is out.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Delighted for Matthew Southgate to make the cut! One year ago today he was having surgery brought on because of a cancer diagnosis. Today he was making the cut in The Open. That is pretty damn special.

It's funny seeing people who aren't even playing the the tournament moaning about the tee times. I can't think of many, if any, complaints I have heard from the players who were out in the worst of it today. It's golf in the UK, the weather is about as predictable as the lottery numbers. The really bad weather today lasted for a couple of hours, the guys that were in the afternoon wave would have still had to deal with it. If they went to a two tee start you guys would be complaining that half the field is starting on the easier nine and able to get into a good run where the others are starting on a brutal 9 and not able to get into the round. Typically it gets winder in the afternoon.

Typically the leaders go out in the afternoon. Should we have them go out in the morning because they are playing better and it's not really fair that the guys playing worst get the chance to catch up with the leaders? Oh and the guys out last get the worst of the greens. Lets have greenkeepers with rollers on every hole to sort the greens out after every player has been through. Yeah, the round will take 10 hours but we have to be fair.

Give me a break.

Well said!

Am I crazy or is the better weather looking like tomorrow afternoon??

It looks like much of a muchness tomorrow according to the BBC weather app. Dull all day (that sums up our summer so far) and wind speeds are a couple of mph higher in the morning compared to the afternoon but not much. That said, I was there on Monday and was supposed to need waterproofs and an umbrella off and on most of the day. Didn't need the either all day.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

That's got to be one of the best Open Championship rounds in recent memory from Stenson. Exciting weekend ahead, hopefully the conditions don't toughen up until the afternoon so it can bring more guys into the picture on Sunday.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

There are some pretty good looking groupings for tomorrow. Obviously Mickelson and Stenson has the potential to be great, whilst Dufner and Scott and Cabrera-Bello and Kaymer earlier in the day should be pretty good to get the juices flowing on the TV.

really pulling for Sergio or DJ... wouldnt mind seeing phil win it

Sergio is out tomorrow with Beef, that should make for a pretty popular group going round the course! Would love to see Sergio making a bit of a charge tomorrow.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Mindless rant.

FYI, the practice tee at Merion (note that Merion has one r) was a 20-25 minute shuttle ride from the first tee.

Yes, split tees would require creativity from the R&A at certain venues, but it's perfectly doable.

I'm not talking about just where the practice ground is. It's just as important where on the Courses you would suggest starting the 2 tees from at Royal Troon or The Old Course. Bearing in mind, that in order to actually get the whole field out on the Course without running into eachother at some point there has to be at least 8 holes difference. Failure to do this would mean the groups start backing up against each other at some point. Look at the Course Maps for Royal Troon and The Old Course. You will see that there is almost 2 miles between the 1st tee at Royal Troon fro example, and the next suitable Tee (the 8th, 9th or 10th) to get all the players through without backing up at some stage. I know the area well because I have a house in Prestwick and live there 4 months of the year, so I know from personal experience what it's like. Factor in the actual width of the Course and at it's widest point (7th Tee - 11th Green) it's only a couple of hundreds yards, so it's damn narrow. Now try to imagine getting 78 players, their caddies, scorers, scoreboard holders, bunker rakers, referees that go around with every single group nearly 2 miles, through potentially 30,000 people with all the TV towers, spectator stands and plethora of media equipment, through such a narrow congested area, and there would be uproar amongst the players, and rightly so. Sorry but it's just not practical I'm afraid.

Mindless rant.

FYI, the practice tee at Merion (note that Merion has one r) was a 20-25 minute shuttle ride from the first tee.

Yes, split tees would require creativity from the R&A at certain venues, but it's perfectly doable.

More mindless ranting.

Again, I'm well aware of the logistical issues at Troon and especially the Old Course and can say confidently it can be done. Troon would require some creativity, but the Old Course would be simple.

Mindless rant.

And totally unnecessary, as several people have tried to point out to you, but you just don't want to hear it. This is the oldest tournament around, and just about every big name in the history of the game has won it, so they're doing something right. Seriously, who is the best player to have never won The Open? Byron Nelson? Yes, most likely because he only played it a few times. Besides Lord Byron, EVERY all-time great has won this event. That's one of the marks of a great championship. Of course, you'll have the occasional Ben Curtis or Todd Hamilton, luck (weather, bounces, etc.) is part of it, and always has been.

D - Ping G430 LST 9-degree, Kai'li 60S
3W - Ping G400 Stretch 13-degree, Alta 65S

5W - Ping G425 17.5-degree, Alta 65S
Hy - Ping G400 22-degree, Alta 70S
5-U - Ping i230, Aerotech Steelfiber i95
54- Ping Glide Pro Forged
59- Ping Glide Pro Forged Eye toe
P - Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Fastback 1.5

Billy Ho rounds of 67 and 85.

Makes sense.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/billy-horschels-backwards-hat-causes-twitter-to-lose-its-mind

Billy Horschel's backwards hat causes Twitter to lose its mind

The commotion began at the end of the Open Championship's second round. Horschel was in the final wave of groups, and wasn't finishing on a high note: After firing a four-under 67 Thursday, Horschel was 12 over through 14 holes at Troon, which included a double-triple-double stretch on the back nine. On the final hole, Horschel ditched his rain gear, turned his hat backwards and played the 18th as such:

(He should have had some Titos and called it a day)

While I'm in favor of anything, be it weather or Twitter, that gets under Billy's skin, I don't remember much uproar when Jim Furyk turned his hat backwards for his winning Fed Ex Cup putt.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

Mindless rant.

More mindless ranting.

Again, I'm well aware of the logistical issues at Troon and especially the Old Course and can say confidently it can be done.

Yet you haven't said how. But go for it, contact the R&A with your 'plan' if you have one. Maybe you'll get an invite over to visit Troon and put your 'plan' forward! :cheesy:

Guys to give some perspective I was marshalling the 17th today and anyone still on the course after 10.45am got hit with the weather....believe me when I say that it didn't get any better or worse, it was horrible from then until close of play. I've watched the highlights and can see what was being portrayed on TV but the harsh reality is that the young guns ain't as well equipped to play in that kind of weather where you can't hit the ball into orbit and play into soft greens.

The first group left the 17th green at about 10.50am to give you an idea of where everyone would have been at with regards to the weather coming in.

Also quite amusing as we often play in weather like that and joke about 'how the pros would get on in this'. Not very well would be the answer!

Guys to give some perspective I was marshalling the 17th today and anyone still on the course after 10.45am got hit with the weather....believe me when I say that it didn't get any better or worse, it was horrible from then until close of play. I've watched the highlights and can see what was being portrayed on TV but the harsh reality is that the young guns ain't as well equipped to play in that kind of weather where you can't hit the ball into orbit and play into soft greens.

The first group left the 17th green at about 10.50am to give you an idea of where everyone would have been at with regards to the weather coming in.

Also quite amusing as we often play in weather like that and joke about 'how the pros would get on in this'. Not very well would be the answer!

That 17th can be a real brute. I've taken an 8 Iron off that tee, yet a 3 wood on another occasion. Some people just don't get it and will not accept that it's all part of the game over here and you take it and embrace it regardless.

I once played in an Amateur Tournament at North Berwick some years ago, and the wind was blowing pretty bad in our faces on the front 9, but I said to my playing opponent, 'well at least we'll have it easy on the back 9. I shot +4 on the front 9. Then the wind changed 180* just as we were finishing the 8th hole, and the wind was in our faces coming back too! Lol. But I still shot -3 on the back 9, and never stood on the 9th tee and thought to myself 'wow' those lucky b******s stood on the 1st tee getting the best of the wind'!! Ridiculous to think like that. Man up and get on with it.

Are you Marshalling tomorrow?

Wherever there's a mrt99 there's an argument

True. And that's because on the increasingly rare occasions I'm posting I'm bringing something that is usually sorely lacking in discussions here...facts.

I don't want to be unnecessarily difficult but I'm seeing lots of opinions but not many facts.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

True. And that's because on the increasingly rare occasions I'm posting I'm bringing something that is usually sorely lacking in discussions here...facts.

I don't want to be unnecessarily difficult but I'm seeing lots of opinions but not many facts.

He says 2 tee starts can be done at somewhere like Troon, despite almost certainly not having been there on a Championship day, consulted the R&A, spoke to the players, so in the absence of the R&A and both players and officials considerations, we simply must accept it as true. Lol.

He says 2 tee starts can be done at somewhere like Troon, despite almost certainly not having been there on a Championship day, consulted the R&A, spoke to the players, so in the absence of the R&A and both players and officials considerations, we simply must accept it as true. Lol.

Yup, that's exactly what I said...

Is it any wonder that the overwhelming majority of quality posters who used to post here have abandoned this place?