Scotland Golf Trip Tips

So in the very early stages of planning a guys trip to Scotland for a week or so of golfing and relaxation.

From anyone who's made the trip, do you recommend the online companies that plan everything out (hotel, tee times, rentals, etc) or should you attempt to do everything on your own?

Any insight and experiences are appreciated.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.golfinternational.com

I have taken three trips to Scotland and two to Ireland. I'm going to Ireland in a group of 4 next year as well. For each trip, our group used the above company. Call the number on the website and ask for Liz.

Using a company will be more expensive than doing it all yourself. Nevertheless, the added cost is worth it to me. YMMV. My time is valuable and the companies know a lot more about the travel than I. We have gotten great tee times and onto courses that are difficult to arrange yourself. It's also nice to have support if something does go wrong on the trip. On one of our trips. our flights were delayed. I e-mailed the delay and the company rearranged our first tee time while we were flying over the Atlantic. I had a message with the new tee time when we landed.

I emailed a bunch of courses in Scotland to confirm what I see on the net and got very nice replies...I think it would be fairly easy to arrange a golf schedule independent of tour companies, but it does take a bit of planning....like finding hotel base camps strategically located so you can drive anywhere in that area in an hour or two. I'll be staying south of Glasgow for access to Ayr (had to chose between Ayr and North Berwick, East Lothian and "The Golf Coast" to the east where there are many many great courses), and in Golspie (home of Donald Ross's early life), within a half-hour of many fine courses and a couple of hours' great driving to the west coast (and a nice 9-hole track in Durness), and near Stirling for easy travel east to St. Andrews north to the Highlands and south to Edinburgh.

If this were just a golf trip I'd be playing all of a dozen courses....but there's so much to do and see there, sightseeing up north, blues and jazz fest in the Highlands (lots of music festivals there all year!). I'll likely only get in 8 rounds in the 22 days I'll be there.

One bit of advice...don't schedule a round for the day of and the day after your arrival...in case of any travel mishaps, and to enjoy just being there.

TM SLDR-430/10.5 @ 12°, OEM speeder 57R
08 Burner 3w/5w 49g M/sr flex
Cobra TWS Hybrids H3/H4 A-flex 60g
Cobra SS-i irons Penley Graphite Light-R
Cleve 588-49LowBounce,900-54LB,588-57LB
TM Spider 72M
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1061239-katbirds-bag-of-sticks/"]WITB Link[/url]

I have used a company Pioneer Golf on my first two trips over there. I am currently planning a week long trip for May 2017. I was going to use a service again but my group went from 6-8 to 3. There are many threads on here about where to play. I found you can book flight from US to Edinburgh, hotel in St. Andrews and rental car on expedia for a great price when you book together.

We are planning to leave US on a Saturday get to Scotland Sunday morning. We will stay a week fly out the following Sunday. The Old Course has the lottery which if your planning to go in May, June next year starts August 24th or 26th. Once we find out when we play the Old Course I plan to book the rest of trip around that. As Katbird mentioned, I have already emailed the other courses too and gotten very nice replies about making tee times.

Having said all that, if you want the non stress and can afford it the there are many groups out there that plan for you. I found I can play more premium rounds with caddies and what not for my budget.

diy. i planned a trip for 4. read fergusons book as mentioned. we flew into edinburgh played lothian courses the first few days then drove up to st andrews for a few days. we played the day we got in but a later tee time(arrived around 7 or 8 am), i delegated duties to guys in the group ie one guy would call and make arrangements/tee times and deposits for the lothian courses. another guy for the st andrews courses and one guy for the sleeping arrangements. we kept a spreadsheet for all the totals spent prior to scotland(keep in mind you will have to pay a deposit for your tee times).

it really isnt much of an undertaking if you can 1) read 2) use a phone 3) own a credit card 4) can operate google (im not trying to sound condescending)

we had fun with the planning sat around the house drank whiskey(scotch) pulled out a map, reviewed courses, talked trash and came up with a plan.

after our initial day we played 36 holes a day, many times at different courses so you have to be mindful of travel time. keep in mind though a round of golf WILL be much quicker until you start hitting the more touristy tracks.

good luck

I just received a nice note from Moray telling me that the course will be under maintenance (coring/sanding greens) on the week I will be there. Other clubs responded to my inquiry regarding availability (e.g. closures for member-only play) but made no mention of maintenance or course conditions, and Moray's response has me replying to the other courses asking them about their maintenance schedule for the days I'll be there.

I just played a local course that has "dressed" the greens and didn't tell me when I reserved a tee-time, which really disappointed me. The same experience on a once-in-a-lifetime round would be much more than disappointing.

TM Spider 72M
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1061239-katbirds-bag-of-sticks/"]WITB Link[/url]

I was going to be on the Monterey Peninsula for a couple days quite a few years ago. Had called Pebble Beach and been told they could almost certainly accommodate me as a single one day or the other. So the week before leaving for the trip I was ready to call and book.

A friend happened to get back from a trip there and warned me they were punching the greens literally the day before I was hoping to play. So I did not book Pebble and play Spyglass Hill instead.

That evening I went and had dinner at the Lodge then walked down and inspected the 18th hole in the twilight. They had used the huge tines and pulled enormous plugs out of the greens and collars and approaches. There would have been no possibility whatsoever of putting or chipping. Even the aeration plugs were still piled up around the edges of the greens.

I asked the next day and sure enough they were charging people $475 to play the course in that condition. I would have gone postal if I'd have paid that kind of money up front and showed up to find the course in that condition.

I was going to be on the Monterey Peninsula for a couple days quite a few years ago. Had called Pebble Beach and been told they could almost certainly accommodate me as a single one day or the other. So the week before leaving for the trip I was ready to call and book.

A friend happened to get back from a trip there and warned me they were punching the greens literally the day before I was hoping to play. So I did not book Pebble and play Spyglass Hill instead.

That evening I went and had dinner at the Lodge then walked down and inspected the 18th hole in the twilight. They had used the huge tines and pulled enormous plugs out of the greens and collars and approaches. There would have been no possibility whatsoever of putting or chipping. Even the aeration plugs were still piled up around the edges of the greens.

I asked the next day and sure enough they were charging people $475 to play the course in that condition. I would have gone postal if I'd have paid that kind of money up front and showed up to find the course in that condition.

True... but not completely (al least from what I saw).

When PB punches they charge the same rate as they like to claim they never drop the rate. BUT>>>>>>> They provide you with a GC to use on site. Funny enough not sure how their GC policy works though. I played once during the punch paid $495 and the gave me GC for $250. This was fine by me as I could use for anything and i would have dropped that much in food/apparel anyway. As it worked out we only hit the punch on two holes. I was nice, but pretty vocal with my concern with the punch when booking and paying and did ask what is the best they can do given the punch? The guys I was playing with must have been a bit more passive as they got $100GC each. - Go figure.

Back to the OP's question. A DIY Scotland trip is totally doable. Lovely people and most folks are really friendly. My favourite trip was a bit more relaxed, stayed in St Andrew and bought the St Andrews unlimited play pass. Played all the courses including the Old Course. Added in Kingsbarns. Did not need a car, went to great pubs/resteranunt every night and golfed a tonne.

My big tip is go play late April in the first few days after St Andrews goes to summer rates. No one goes then, as the rate change is substantial so they all go the week before. Golf costs more but it will make you accommodations much cheaper given the low demand and you will have the courses to yourself along with locals. Way more fun! You can also get out on the Old as much as you like/can afford given how open the tee sheet is.

I plan and book all of my Scotland and Ireland trips myself. Planning it is part of the fun.

+1 on the recommendation above about getting the Ferguson book. It is a great resource for planning a golf trip to Scotland.

If you really don't want to do the work and are willing to pay extra for someone else to do so, I know Craig Loftus of "Golfing the Kingdom". he will do a good job for you at a lower price than most.

I've been three times and planned all of my own trips. If you want to blow a ton of money you can let one of the many companies take care of all of the details for you. For me, the online research and planning abd controlling the details is half of the fun. If you want to consider planning your own trip this is my advice;

-Get the dates on a calendar at least one-year in advance. Get the rest of your group to commit. This gives you and your buddies something to look forward to.

-Learn the map of Scotland. Start in St Andrews obviously. Depending on the length of your trip you can stay their the entire time or you may wish to go elsewhere. I suggest for the first trip go a little south Muirfield/North Berwick area. Use this website: http://www.golfnook.com/ tons of info.

-Know the rules. The Scottish people are wonderful but they respect and abide by the rules. There is no "just this once" to get on the course. I say this because it is possible to play just about any course but know all of the rules on the courses websites for booking times. The big names, Old Course, Muirfield, Carnoustie should be booked well in advance. Go to your local chain drug store and buy a $10 dollar calling card. Call over there and talk to the club secretary and caddymasters (BTW get a caddy everywhere you can afford it. Half of our stories involve the caddies). For the cost of the calling card you can call over there as much as you will need. The people are really nice and eager to help.

-Driving. It's not bad as long as you do two things. Constantly remind yourself to keep your right shoulder in the center of the road (this helps with "driving on the wrong side" of the road) and get an international GPS. Didn't get lost once, punch in your address and away you go.

This is a very condensed version of the tips that I have. If you are serious about DIY then let me know and I will send you what I have compiled. Or you can just do it the "easy way" and let a company do everything for you including the driving should you desire. It did bring a sense of satisfaction to me each time I saw a van and I knew they paid about double what I did.

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 54° D, 60° T, KBS TGI 95s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

http://www.golfinternational.com

I have taken three trips to Scotland and two to Ireland. I'm going to Ireland in a group of 4 next year as well. For each trip, our group used the above company. Call the number on the website and ask for Liz.

Using a company will be more expensive than doing it all yourself. Nevertheless, the added cost is worth it to me. YMMV. My time is valuable and the companies know a lot more about the travel than I. We have gotten great tee times and onto courses that are difficult to arrange yourself. It's also nice to have support if something does go wrong on the trip. On one of our trips. our flights were delayed. I e-mailed the delay and the company rearranged our first tee time while we were flying over the Atlantic. I had a message with the new tee time when we landed.

Couldn't agree more with this

Good stuff

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

• 2 weeks later...

We are planning a trip, ourselves, for next august. For the dates the whole group can go, Muirfield is booked up. Do some of these booking companies have connections that we don't have? I would be willing to pay a premium to get on muirfield. Anybody know of a way to help us get on? We have a group of 8 guys.

If we are SOL I understand and that is fine. I just didn't know if some of these booking companies pre-reserved some of the slots for future clients, or something like that.

For everyone that's made the trip, what would you guesstimate the total price? I'm trying to get a number out to my group and was thinking $3500 would be a safe bet. Looking to do the obvious St. Andrews, Carnoustie, etc... Does that number sound reasonable?

Here is what we paid. We got a 4 bedroom house right on South Street in St Andrews for 9 days. 2 blocks from the old course. Cost 1300 GBP. We rented a Mercedes Vito through Arnold Clarke via Celtic Legend for 800 pounds, with all insurance and GPS.

We played :

Cruden Bay 110 pounds

Kingsbarn 230 pounds

North Berwick 110 pounds

St Andrews 160 pounds

Carnoustie 170 pounds

Muirfield 220 pounds included lunch

St Andrews again 170

Kingsbarn 2nd round was reduced to 110 pounds

Add 65/round for caddies that includes tip

Here's my tentative "low-rent" solo tour of "hidden gems" during a 22-day drive through Scotland.

The rental cost of a micro-mini car-for-one: $325/22 days

Staying at AirBnB homes cost $660/22 days

... here's my golf route...

The courses/costs:

Start out with 5 days in Ayrshire

Girvan: £21.00

Troon Links mini trail, Lochgreen and Fullarton £40.00.

Prestwick St. Nicholas Booking within 4 days of play: £45

I then head north, stopping at....

Boat of Garten (the only inland course): £35 early-bird round

...followed by same day round north of Inverness at...

Brora: £36

I'm staying in Golspie (near Dornoch, childhood home of Donald Ross) for 4 nights

Golspie: twilight £20 from 4pm

A day's golf is at £55

Tain: Tu/Th: 2pm - 4pm for £25.

I'll take a morning drive to the farthest north course...

Durness: £20

Heading south back to Edinburgh, stopping at...

Hopeman (near Castle Stuart) £28 (Mon-Sat)

In Edinburgh

Braid Hills Weekday £24.80

In Fife

Grail Golfing Society (one of two courses is a Gil Hanse design): £40

Arberdour: £25.00 (£35 for a day pass)

£400 for 14 rounds = £28 = $37/round + an occasional pull cart fee.

Other typical tourist costs include

Scottish Heritage Pass, 7 days $40 (Senior's rate)

Callander Jazz/Blues weekend $80

Being a professional photographer, I may get easily distracted by Scotland beyond the links such that I may play less than I plan, but in either case I will bring back a lot of great memories.

TM Spider 72M

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to thank everyone for all of the tips so far. I am looking into booking a trip now and this whole topic has been incredibly helpful. Have a copy of Golf in Scotland on the way, look forward to going through it and coming up with an itinerary.

One question I have now, for those that have done it, I went ahead and entered the lottery to play St. Andrews and my plan had been to wait until November when they announce to start booking the rest of the trip, I figured I could build the rest of the trip around whatever times we were able to secure a tee time (assuming we get lucky). This trip will only be for 2 so I'm hoping it may be easier to book everything else based on that size. Can I wait until November or do I need to start reaching out to courses/lodgings now? We are looking to go next August and the other courses on my list aside from Old/New Course are North Berwick and maybe Gullane 1 (obviously subject to change once I've had a chance to read more forum posts and Golf in Scotland, from what I've read do far, those courses would provide the best of famous courses and fun to play Scottish golf courses).

Thanks in advance!

Cobra LTDx Aldila NV 75 

TaylorMade Stealth Fairway 3HL FUJIKURA VISTA PRO 21 65S

Cobra LTDx 4 Hybrid 20* KBS PGI 85

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 5-GW Project X LZ 6.0

Titleist SM9 55*/60*
Bobby Grace F-18

I just found out that Allstate car insurance does NOT cover international rentals....so that is an additional expense...about $15/day.

And another bit of advice....ASK clubs whether they're scheduling maintenance when you're going to be there!

....I booked Royal Dornoch....instead of Hopeman...I would kick myself for not playing a course ranked in the top 5-6 in the world....espec as the others (excepting 1 in Ireland) are private and so impossible to play.

TM Spider 72M

I am booking a trip for four now right now as well and we have a hold on lodging in St. Andrews. The rest of the trip is flex for right now until we confirm old course tee time. we are going in April, so not too worried about availability of courses and lodging yet.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

I am booking a trip for four now right now as well and we have a hold on lodging in St. Andrews. The rest of the trip is flex for right now until we confirm old course tee time. we are going in April, so not too worried about availability of courses and lodging yet.

When you do get around to looking for accommodation, you may like to check out www.apartmentsinstandrews.com. They have a range of properties of nice quality, at reasonable prices (for St Andrews). The guy in charge is a chap named Steven, he's a nice guy, and will help you all he can. He can even arrange some tee time discounts sometimes, though not on St Andrews Links Courses, but still worth a good look at the accommodation he has.

Packed the travel bag to make sure it was under the 50 pound weight limit....@ 47 it is....

(removed the R15 driver head...put into side pocket)

In addition to clubs....2 pair golf shoes/1 pr regular shoes, photo monopod for more vertical stiffness,

3 1/2 dozen balls, 6 gloves (2 for rain, 2 for right hand if it's cold), a few cleats/tees and a brush, lots of USGA hats for gifting and rain gear wrapped around the heads at the top adding cushion to what's already there....all nice and snug now.

Fz0UQq.jpg

Learned this week that Allstate insurance does not cover international rentals....so anyone planning on renting a car in Scotland ought to check their insurance to make sure you're covered.

TM Spider 72M

I have some information regarding golf packages for north Scotland:

From Golspie Golf Club:

"We also offer overseas membership at £200. This entitles you to play the course when ever you wish as long as the tee is free. It also enables you to play at Brora, Bonar Bridge, Nairn and Dunbar, Tain, Fortrose and Rosemarkie, Wick and Orkney for a reciprocal of £10 and Royal Dornoch Golf Course for £20."

The Dornoch Firth Golf Pass for £40 gives 30% off green fees at Royal Dornoch, Golspie, Brora, and Tain.

There are some restrictions: Pass tee-times at Royal Dornoch limited to after 2 p.m., pass not eligible at Tain on Tuesdays and Thursdays with their already reduced prices (£25).

Brora, like Tain, will not accept the Pass on a reduced rate tee-time.

Day rates are eligible (at Golspie at least....I did not ask about day rates at other courses) with the Pass.

The Dornoch pass pays for itself with £39 savings at Dornoch.

I didn't get the "overseas" membership as my time in the north is limited, but I bought the Dornoch pass as I'm going to play all the four courses there in a week, (including a day-rate for Golspie). A lot of golf!

All the courses I've been in contact with have been very communicative and cooperative with a solo golfer making my own arrangements.

£230 for all 4 courses (2 rounds at Golspie)....that's 5 rounds for $305, $175 for Dornoch, $130 for the other 4 rounds.

TM Spider 72M

I haven't gotten to the actual golf yet as my schedule is not completely set, but I did book flights to London for me and the wife and going through Expedia I was able to get a direct flight and two nights hotel stay at a really nice spot for less $ than booking the same flight direct through BA so if you are going at it yourself I would shop around.

Our plan is to do London for the weekend and then take the train to Edinburgh with the thought that it will be easier to walk on as a single during the week.

Packed the travel bag to make sure it was under the 50 pound weight limit....@ 47 it is....

(removed the R15 driver head...put into side pocket)

In addition to clubs....2 pair golf shoes/1 pr regular shoes, photo monopod for more vertical stiffness,

3 1/2 dozen balls, 6 gloves (2 for rain, 2 for right hand if it's cold), a few cleats/tees and a brush, lots of USGA hats for gifting and rain gear wrapped around the heads at the top adding cushion to what's already there....all nice and snug now.

Fz0UQq.jpg

Learned this week that Allstate insurance does not cover international rentals....so anyone planning on renting a car in Scotland ought to check their insurance to make sure you're covered.

I packed like that my first trip to the UK. Never carried nearly so much stuff again. One time schlepping super-heavy baggage inside airports and out to the rental car (and back) was enough for me. But I'm not particularly strong nor is my back particularly healthy.

My standard disclaimer about wrapping stuff in and around clubheads is that your careful swaddling job is unlikely to be replicated by the TSA screener who opens the bag and pulls out some random clubs to test them for explosives (or whatever it is they're swabbing them for). So don't bother getting too elaborate with it.

It's my understanding that very few standard USA car insurance policies are going to cover an overseas rental. It is worth buying an AmEx card just to get their excellent car rental protection. The add-on insurance fees at UK rental agencies typically exceed the actual cost of the rental and they will infamously try to charge you for car damage even when you buy everything they upsell you!

A year's subscriptions to AmEx is less than $100 and pays for itself three times over the first time you decline all the ripoff "cover" fees on a rental. AmEx also offers a new program where you pay a flat $25 fee per rental to get truly comprehensive and amazingly high-$$$ coverage limits on every aspect of the rental. By reputation AmEx is good about actually paying up and/or dealing with the car-hire companies if there is a claim.

We used a company for times

Stayed in a house 200 yards from Old Course

PM me if you want the website

Got on Old twice via lottery. Also played New, Jubilee, Kingsbarns, Carnoustie, winded out of Muirfield sadly

St. Andrews is an awesome town to stay in. I suggest visiting when the Ryder Cup is on (we did it in 2012 when it was at Medinah)

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Hy Butte...(are you from MT? I lived in Helena for a few years...great state!)

Wish I'd known about Amex....oh well, next time.

I'll be in Scotland for 3 weeks and a few days in Iceland so packed a lot of "layers" for golf but also for hiking and photography.

TM Spider 72M

NorthButte....

I just confirmed with Chase that the Freedom Unlimited credit card indeed covers collision and theft of the vehicle....it does NOT cover personal liability or theft of belongings.

TM Spider 72M