Mizuno JPX 900 Tour irons

Konklifer

Couple of pics to check out. First pic is obviously the Tour 6 iron. Second is a comparison against MP-25s. Third is topline of Tour, MP-55s and MP-H5s.

Thanks for the pics! Any chance you could please make the 3rd/topline pic a little larger?

I'll get better pics either tomorrow or Wednesday, and put the other 900 heads in as well so you can clearly see how compact these are. I didn't have enough time to hit the LZ in the Tour and I really want to try that combo. Hopefully Mizuno releases some R&D promo soon...What forgiveness of JPX (if any) and playability of MP are built into these?

nmorton, I was wondering if you got any other pics to post?

None yet South Side...went out and played instead. I'll definitely head back soon though. The real test is when full sets of these show up, which will probably be a month from now. They're definitely generating a lot of buzz for Mizuno so mission accomplished on that front.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My take is that these are meant as a direct competitor to the Titleist AP2's. The MP 5 and 25 correlate to the MB and CB, and instead of using the MP moniker which can scare off 8-15 hcp players, the use the JPX label to appeal to better players looking for a bit more forgiveness like AP2 players. Or I might be totally off base and should shut my dumb mouth.

[size=3]Titleist 913 D3 9.5 Diamana S+ 62 stiff[/size]
Titleist 915 F 3 wood, Diamana S+60 stiff
[size=3]Mizuno F-60 5 wood[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno MP-33 w/S300 stiff +1/2 by me[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno T7, 52 and 58 degrees[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade Juno TP  putter[/size]
[size=3]Titleist Pro V1 and V1x depending on what I find.[/size]

My take is that these are meant as a direct competitor to the Titleist AP2's. The MP 5 and 25 correlate to the MB and CB, and instead of using the MP moniker which can scare off 8-15 hcp players, the use the JPX label to appeal to better players looking for a bit more forgiveness like AP2 players. Or I might be totally off base and should shut my dumb mouth.

I understand your logic and I'm hoping you are correct.

I'm off 12 and dropping. These irons interest me a lot but I'm not sure if my game is at that stage yet.

As I understand it these are more a cb competitor. These aren't meant to be that forgiving. I've had them. In hand and they don't look that helpful to me.

Driver: PING G430 MAX 10K 9 Mitsubishi Diamana WB 43X
Fairway Wood: PING G430 LST Fujikura Ventus Blue + 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 22 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen6 5-PW Aerotech Steelfiber i95S

Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM10 50 F, 54 M, 60 D KBS 610 Wedge R
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 7 CH 34 inches
Ball: Titleist AVX

I like these and would love to give em a hit, just no way anything is unseating the 5's.

These would be a pretty back up set, but @ $150 a stick, even 5-9 is $750.

I won't cry about not having to shell out another $700-$800, and the 54/64 combo is more than capable of back up duties.

Will wait and see the new MP next year.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I like these and would love to give em a hit, just no way anything is unseating the 5's.

I won't cry about not having to shell out another $700-$800, and the 54/64 combo is more than capable of back up duties.

Another year is a long wait and those MP-66s just keep calling my name. Probably start off with some 66 short irons and work them in. I don't see myself mix and matching chrome and satin finishes. The Tours are definitely more of CB competitor and someone mentioned S55s, which is spot on in terms of size and looks.

Another year is a long wait and those MP-66s just keep calling my name. Probably start off with some 66 short irons and work them in. I don't see myself mix and matching chrome and satin finishes. The Tours are definitely more of CB competitor and someone mentioned S55s, which is spot on in terms of size and looks.

I agree these would be better as a full set and wouldn't blend well with MP short irons going from chrome to satin. I ordered one of the first sets of MP54's 3 years ago. I was at my fitters when the Mizuno rep came by. I haven't found anything better, but still itching for MP5 in 7-PW. Biggest holdup has been the comments bout a better looking PW in the 900Tour. Will I play better with MP5 short irons or a full set of 900Tour? Probably not. If Modus 125 is offered and PW looks better, I will probably pick up a full set of 900Tour. If not, may pick up MP5 in 7-PW. Can't imagine the 900Tour will be better than the MP5, unless the PW looks better?

I agree these would be better as a full set and wouldn't blend well with MP short irons going from chrome to satin. I ordered one of the first sets of MP54's 3 years ago. I was at my fitters when the Mizuno rep came by. I haven't found anything better, but still itching for MP5 in 7-PW. Biggest holdup has been the comments bout a better looking PW in the 900Tour. Will I play better with MP5 short irons or a full set of 900Tour? Probably not. If Modus 125 is offered and PW looks better, I will probably pick up a full set of 900Tour. If not, may pick up MP5 in 7-PW. Can't imagine the 900Tour will be better than the MP5, unless the PW looks better?

Another option could be to go with a T7 pitching wedge replacement now that they're offering lofts down to 44 degrees. Heck, you could even bend one down to a 9 iron if you really wanted to. A lot of options for that end of the bag.

Another option could be to go with a T7 pitching wedge replacement now that they're offering lofts down to 44 degrees. Heck, you could even bend one down to a 9 iron if you really wanted to. A lot of options for that end of the bag.

Yea, that was a thought too. My T4 50* is one of my favorite clubs, so T7 46* should be no problem. Meant to say that even though i don't prefer the look of the 54 or 5 PW, I've hit a lot of great shots w/it! Actually hit the 54 PW a little too far, probably due to the CB, need to bend it a deg weak. I play Modus 120TX in my 54's, but would try 125's in 900Tour, if they're an option. If they offer 120's, doubtful they'll offer TX. Will most likely pick up the 5's before the price increase. They really are blurring the lines and I'm a little more traditional. Been playing Mizuno since the MP60 in 2005. Did you say you thought the 55's felt better than the 900Tour?

Yea, that was a thought too. My T4 50* is one of my favorite clubs, so T7 46* should be no problem. Meant to say that even though i don't prefer the look of the 54 or 5 PW, I've hit a lot of great shots w/it! Actually hit the 54 PW a little too far, probably due to the CB, need to bend it a deg weak. I play Modus 120TX in my 54's, but would try 125's in 900Tour, if they're an option. If they offer 120's, doubtful they'll offer TX. Will most likely pick up the 5's before the price increase. They really are blurring the lines and I'm a little more traditional. Been playing Mizuno since the MP60 in 2005. Did you say you thought the 55's felt better than the 900Tour?

Yes, overall to me the 55s felt better. But, I've been playing then a while with my go-to shaft and so on. Middle either of them and they're pure, but as you get away from the center that's where you'll notice the difference with the Tours. As a classic tour-inspired head shape that's pretty much what we should expect though.

Yeah, the PW could be a bit more compact in the 5's, but feel and performance have made this a non-issue for me, love that PW. I would just bring the MD3 46* in the bag if it bothered me that much.

These could be special, but they found something special in the 5's. I mean isn't it the dream to have a blade that plays like a CB? You certainly can't ask it to look like a 2011 TM MB PW (about as good looking a PW at address as I have ever picked up).

As with anything, someone will always find something to complain about. Mizuno does irons right, and they are on a roll right now. (66 is beautiful also).

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Yeah, the PW could be a bit more compact in the 5's, but feel and performance have made this a non-issue for me, love that PW. I would just bring the MD3 46* in the bag if it bothered me that much.

These could be special, but they found something special in the 5's. I mean isn't it the dream to have a blade that plays like a CB? You certainly can't ask it to look like a 2011 TM MB PW (about as good looking a PW at address as I have ever picked up).

As with anything, someone will always find something to complain about. Mizuno does irons right, and they are on a roll right now. (66 is beautiful also).

Warrick, you definitely have me leaning towards just adding the MP5 short irons and keeping the MP54 long irons. Love the 54 long irons, 3 iron @ 19* rotates with the 20* Apex hybrid. Just as forgiving and flies just as high as the UDI 18 I had. Love the satin finish, but the chrome doesn't bother me. Don't want to pay $1200 for irons and then have to reshaft.

LOL, was playing a 54/5 combo for a few months, excellent!! I still have my 54's, now in the back up bag in a combo with 64's ( really no need to ever sell these). I did not think I could play the 5's down to the 5 iron, but have had no issues since jumping in.

Lots of good talk about the 900 Tours, supposed to feel like a 64, yet more compact, and more forgiving than the 25's...

I like em a lot, as do I like the 66's, but I have the sweet ones, and love em.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

and more forgiving than the 25's

Where have you read about the forgiveness? I haven't heard it mentioned yet and have been "concerned" they wouldn't be as forgiving as the mp25

There are a few small press releases on it if you check Google, but pretty sure it was mentioned in the front page article here.

and more forgiving than the 25's

Where have you read about the forgiveness? I haven't heard it mentioned yet and have been "concerned" they wouldn't be as forgiving as the mp25

There are a few small press releases on it if you check Google, but pretty sure it was mentioned in the front page article here.

Size wise they are close but the Tour is slightly smaller with a slimmer top line. There is a lot more mass on the back of the 25s for help plus they have the micro slot built in. We'll see how Mizuno handicaps these, but probably somewhere in between devices 5s and 25s.

these look great and cant wait to try. i love how people complain and havent even seen or hit them yet. curious to know if they match up to the titleist cb or my tmb in terms of forgiveness

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

• 1 month later...

Anyone know when reviews for irons normally come out? Is it after the irons officially release? I'd like to read more reviews on the 900 tours but a lot of sites haven't reviewed them yet.

I've never been in the market for irons right when they release but I am very interested in the JPX 900 tours and the Ping iBlades.

Anyone know when reviews for irons normally come out? Is it after the irons officially release? I'd like to read more reviews on the 900 tours but a lot of sites haven't reviewed them yet.

I've never been in the market for irons right when they release but I am very interested in the JPX 900 tours and the Ping iBlades.

There is a WRX review and comparison pics in a thread on here.

They were supposed to start shipping yesterday, hope I am lucky enough to get mine for Saturday's round, be more than happy to post a review.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I've got MP-25's with C-Taper in the bag and was really excited to get a chance at the Tours... I wandered into Goldsmith yesterday, and they had the 6i demo with a Modus 105...

At first, I couldn't believe how small the head looked. The satin finish and overall coolness factor are awesome. Performance wise, I couldn't get the numbers out of it that I get out of my 25's. The 6i Tour was consistently 5-7 yards shorter on the launch monitor. Personally I didn't think they feel as soft as my 25's, either.

I'd like to get them outside, but not enough to spend the $1000.

Driver: Callaway ROGUE w/Tour AD Di-6
3w & 5w: Callaway Epic Sub Zero w/Tour AD Di-7
4h: Callaway Epic
5-PW: Callaway Apex MB '18
Wedges: 50* & 54* Mack Daddy 4, 60* Mizuno T7
Putter: Taylormade Tour Spider
Ball: Taylormade TP5x

I just ordered a set earlier this week...can't wait to get them in. Like others have stated, the PW from Mizuno hasn't always suited my eye, but the PW in this set looks phenomenal from the pics.

I've worked the past 10 years for a major OEM and played all their products exclusively until I left last month. Now I'm just a regular golf consumer that's excited about equipment again! Over the past week I've picked up a Ping Vault Anser 2 putter (immediately regripped), JPX 900 Tour's, a Jones Utility series bag, some Stitch headcovers and 2 pairs of Ecco shoes. This freedom to choose what I think is best in class and also suites my personal taste/style is awesome!!

I've got MP-25's with C-Taper in the bag and was really excited to get a chance at the Tours... I wandered into Goldsmith yesterday, and they had the 6i demo with a Modus 105...

At first, I couldn't believe how small the head looked. The satin finish and overall coolness factor are awesome. Performance wise, I couldn't get the numbers out of it that I get out of my 25's. The 6i Tour was consistently 5-7 yards shorter on the launch monitor. Personally I didn't think they feel as soft as my 25's, either.

This was my exact experience. I hit the MP-25s and was getting ~ 10 yards shorter than my 825 Pros (loft difference in 6i). The 25s felt wonderful. Hit the 900 Tours and were 6-8 yards consistently shorter than the 25s. All with the same shaft.

This was my exact experience. I hit the MP-25s and was getting ~ 10 yards shorter than my 825 Pros (loft difference in 6i). The 25s felt wonderful. Hit the 900 Tours and were 6-8 yards consistently shorter than the 25s. All with the same shaft.

So, you are up to 18 yds shorter with 900 Tour as opposed to the 825 Pro, same iron, same loft, same shaft?

Was this outside in real life, or on a simulator?

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

So, you are up to 18 yds shorter with 900 Tour as opposed to the 825 Pro, same iron, same loft, same shaft?

Was this outside in real life, or on a simulator?

Above I mentioned the difference in lofts between the 825 Pro and the tour which would account for some of the lost yardage. Buy ~ 18 yards is too much with the loft difference. It was a simulator at GolfTec. The numbers were a little bizarre. My clubhead speed was about 4-5 mph more with the 825 Pros as well. Maybe a comfort thing? Don't know. Either way, the 25s "felt" better than the Tours.

I am finally getting my set. I am moving from the Mp-15 with aerotech 110 to the jpx 900 tour with the same shaft. I was hoping that I wouldn't like the demo, but I was able to hit a higher flight with the six iron when I tested them out 3 weeks ago. The heads look really nice and I can't say enough about the quality of the aerotech shafts.

I really want a set of these irons. Actually demo'd them with the recoil shafts and loved them. Anyone ever gone graphite in their irons? Any thoughts? I know they're supposedly far more consistent than they used to be. I'm a low handicapper but don't have a ton of swing speed and the graphite shafts might help me justify buying these instead of the Apex's.